SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two countdown clocks were finally added to Lex/63, but they are not yet in service. They are on the Uptown platform at the Lexington Avenue entrance. I hope they add some in the middle and near the front. There often are mysterious gaps in F service. As far as I know, it was the only station with no countdown clocks on the platforms. There are clocks in the Third Avenue mezzanine.

IMG_5596

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143305961@N03/32296931968/in/dateposted-public/

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Two countdown clocks were finally added to Lex/63, but they are not yet in service. They are on the Uptown platform at the Lexington Avenue entrance. I hope they add some in the middle and near the front. There often are mysterious gaps in F service. As far as I know, it was the only station with no countdown clocks on the platforms. There are clocks in the Third Avenue mezzanine.

IMG_5596

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143305961@N03/32296931968/in/dateposted-public/

I wonder what took (MTA) so long to install them. 

What does this signal with the white T mean? This was very recently installed on the n/b Broadway local at 34th st and also 42nd st. At 42nd, the T was lit under the green and extinguished right before entering

Taken a few minutes ago at 34th St from an (R) closely following a (W), sorry for the poor quality, it popped up by surprise. 

sBdXmzm_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

15 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

What does this signal with the white T mean? This was very recently installed on the n/b Broadway local at 34th st and also 42nd st. At 42nd, the T was lit under the green and extinguished right before entering

Taken a few minutes ago at 34th St from an (R) closely following a (W), sorry for the poor quality, it popped up by surprise. 

sBdXmzm_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

These Ts encourage ops to enter stations on ST--they're for areas that don't have the numbers below to inform ops. They seem to be lighted at all times save for those where the cutback ST line is occupied. Expect more of these in the near future. 

Currently, the other installation is n/b entering Jay on the (A)(C)

3 hours ago, RR503 said:

These Ts encourage ops to enter stations on ST--they're for areas that don't have the numbers below to inform ops. They seem to be lighted at all times save for those where the cutback ST line is occupied. Expect more of these in the near future. 

Currently, the other installation is n/b entering Jay on the (A)(C)

Do they generally increase or reduce train speeds from what they were prior to the installation?

26 minutes ago, P3F said:

Do they generally increase or reduce train speeds from what they were prior to the installation?

Increase. As I'm sure you know, older parts of the signal system do not have those lighted numbers below their STs, just the signs saying ST 20 and so on. Ops thus must guess whether or not ST is active, meaning they run cautiously, or simply wait for a yellow. The lighted T clears up this ambiguity without the expense of a full mod. 

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Anybody noticed that the 68As that been really loud on the outside lately? When one comes though a station it sounds like earthquake. Their louder than every other car class in the active fleet right now.

I rode them today on the (B) today twice and didn’t notice anything, but I also had my earbuds on.

Can we discuss railfan behavior on the holiday train/special fan trips? It's one thing to be excited for the older trains, most of us are. But almost picking fights over who gets the railfan window or screaming random nonsense around strangers makes us look bad. C'mon, we're better than this.

Edited by Cabanamaner

2 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

Can we discuss railfan behavior on the holiday train/special fan trips? It's one thing to be excited for the older trains, most of us are. But almost picking fights over who gets the railfan window or screaming random nonsense around strangers makes us look bad. C'mon, we're better than this.

I have never understood the hype over the "rail fan window"