SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

15 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

We're gonna be in a car shortage until all of the R211 options arrive. Blame the MTA for getting scrap happy, not the R179s.

I hate to say it, but the R40M’s that were lastly Jamaica’s were retired prematurely. We could’ve had R42’s and R40M’s running together and being retired when the R46’s starts retirement. The (A) and (C) could’ve had 10 car R42/R40Ms along with R32’s and R46’s. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Theyve been playing a lot of "DO NOT WALK OR RIDE BETWEEN TRAIN CARS" PSA's recently on the train and on the station intercoms.

Someone sadly died on the Q up on 2nd Ave walking between cars. 

The unfortunate reality is people are going to do what they want to do when it comes to things like that. If it gets any worse then locked cars here we come...

You know what, now that I think about it, train announcements should say their destination at every stop in every borough. An (R) train to Bay Ridge shouldn't say Manhattan bound in Queens. Or a (J) train to Jamaica shouldn't say Brooklyn bound in Manhattan. 

I actually witnessed tourists read the overhead signs on the platform, and then when the train said Brooklyn bound, they thought they were waiting for the wrong train. 

Edit: After looking at this R211 video, think it could be modified to say the destination in Manhattan and Brooklyn? This would also help pple distinguish if the (A) train is going to Lefferts, Far Rock or Rock Pk rather than reading the side signs. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

There’s definitely more accessories associated with the R211 but that also means the chances of something just not working increases. Give it about 2 years time after they come in, those FIND displays might just be stuck on one screen or half the screen is working and half isn’t. Those LED lighting strips near the doors are bound to stop working cuz people lean whichever way they want on the doors. NYers will be NYers at the end of the day. Just my 2 cents. 

8 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

There’s definitely more accessories associated with the R211 but that also means the chances of something just not working increases. Give it about 2 years time after they come in, those FIND displays might just be stuck on one screen or half the screen is working and half isn’t. Those LED lighting strips near the doors are bound to stop working cuz people lean whichever way they want on the doors. NYers will be NYers at the end of the day. Just my 2 cents. 

I'm pretty sure people were skeptical back in the day when the 142 and 143 were new and almost 20 years later the cars are running fine without any major issues.

From what I heard, only major flaw NTT have that SMEE don't is NTT don't brake as well in the rain & snow.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Here's an update on the renovations at Chambers Street (photos from Facebook and not mine)

If they plan to retile the columns, I really hope they actually use curved corner tiles just like what they did with Hunters Point Avenue. But I won't be surprised if that does not happen; aside from that station, every single retiling attempt has removed the rounded corners that have been a staple in the Dual System and IND stations.

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

So my brother got home right now, and he tells me there was this dude running around on the Astoria train, with his sweatpants hanging down and his dick flopping around. As soon as the train got to 36 Av, the cops were there waiting for him.

Shoutouts to the NYPD here since some people really do have no shame. Of all the days this crazy man picks to cause a scene, of course he picks the first day of the year where police alert is higher than normal. 

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I never knew the 42s rollsigns had "121st, Queens" as a reading.

Learn something new everyday.

Is that to be used back before the Archer Ave. extensions took effect, and (J)’s terminated at the stop? If so, I’m surprised they still have it.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

On 1/2/2019 at 9:25 PM, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Is that to be used back before the Archer Ave. extensions took effect, and (J)’s terminated at the stop? If so, I’m surprised they still have it.

It was just an extra, because the current signs were all printed 1988 and later. The 1985 signs (which were one piece rather than three) had 121 as an option.