SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 1/1/2019 at 5:21 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

You know what, now that I think about it, train announcements should say their destination at every stop in every borough. An (R) train to Bay Ridge shouldn't say Manhattan bound in Queens. Or a (J) train to Jamaica shouldn't say Brooklyn bound in Manhattan. 

I actually witnessed tourists read the overhead signs on the platform, and then when the train said Brooklyn bound, they thought they were waiting for the wrong train. 

Edit: After looking at this R211 video, think it could be modified to say the destination in Manhattan and Brooklyn? This would also help pple distinguish if the (A) train is going to Lefferts, Far Rock or Rock Pk rather than reading the side signs. 

The problem I have with that is the font is so goddamn tiny. It's already annoying enough when you have people trying to squint at a subway map with 8 pt font.

The less information displayed, the better. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/1/2019 at 8:21 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

You know what, now that I think about it, train announcements should say their destination at every stop in every borough. An (R) train to Bay Ridge shouldn't say Manhattan bound in Queens. Or a (J) train to Jamaica shouldn't say Brooklyn bound in Manhattan. 

I actually witnessed tourists read the overhead signs on the platform, and then when the train said Brooklyn bound, they thought they were waiting for the wrong train. 

Edit: After looking at this R211 video, think it could be modified to say the destination in Manhattan and Brooklyn? This would also help pple distinguish if the (A) train is going to Lefferts, Far Rock or Rock Pk rather than reading the side signs. 

Perhaps the announcements can be said in a similar fashion to Metro North/LIRR.

"This is the [Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Queens-bound (optional)] (A) train to [Insert Terminal Here]. The next stop is [insert next stop here]. Stand clear of the closing doora please". 

2 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Perhaps the announcements can be said in a similar fashion to Metro North/LIRR.

"This is the [Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Queens-bound (optional)] (A) train to [Insert Terminal Here]. The next stop is [insert next stop here]. Stand clear of the closing doora please". 

But then at the same time, that would increase dwell times. Finally someone responded to my actual post. Seems like everyone got distracted on the R211 video, I only added that because hopefully my preferred announcements can start on the R211s, especially with the (A) having three different terminals. 

Doing it LIRR style with a new short door announcement, it would go:

"This is an (A) train to Far Rockaway. The next station is 59st -Columbus Circle. Stand clear, doors are closing." 

"This is an (R) train to Bay Ridge. The next station is Jackson Heights - Roosevelt Ave. Stand clear, doors are closing."

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:21 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

<vid removed>

The trains are announced as [borough]-bound until they reach the borough of their destination because most riders are not that familiar with the final stops of the route in question. Nor are they riding the train for that much where it would really be necessary. Even on the split (A) or the rush hours split (5), unless the rider is in Queens or the Bronx respectively and are riding past the point of divergence, they are going to hop on the first train to arrive.

18 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The problem I have with that is the font is so goddamn tiny. It's already annoying enough when you have people trying to squint at a subway map with 8 pt font.

The less information displayed, the better. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

This was really just a demonstration of the technology to be offered on the new trains. I imagine once the trains are actually built and the finishes are added, the information will be much more visible than was shown in the clip. Besides, that tiny font would probably run afoul against ADA regulations regarding legible text from a certain distance.

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode the (J) from Parsons to Broadway Junction in the middle of the PM Rush tonight and I saw no 179s in service, a whole bunch of 160s/143s and 42s but no 179s. Perhaps a whole bunch of them are getting warranty work in the shop or something.

There was one on the (Z) .

24 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode the (J) from Parsons to Broadway Junction in the middle of the PM Rush tonight and I saw no 179s in service, a whole bunch of 160s/143s and 42s but no 179s. Perhaps a whole bunch of them are getting warranty work in the shop or something.

They were all in Manhattan at that point lol. Saw four sets of 179s myself.

11 hours ago, Lance said:

This was really just a demonstration of the technology to be offered on the new trains. I imagine once the trains are actually built and the finishes are added, the information will be much more visible than was shown in the clip. Besides, that tiny font would probably run afoul against ADA regulations regarding legible text from a certain distance.

Given the in-car strip maps, I find that really doubtful. None of those are legible from far enough away.

The MTA could give a rat's ass about the ADA given the current behavior. I remember hearing that even the FTA is starting to think that it's been long enough.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The (J) and (Z) were pretty much dominated by R179’s today. What still has me stumped is why those raggedy R143’s are running on the Jamaica line. Don’t get me started with those R42’s either. 

50 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Today on the (A) line I seen an R32 car that had "To" in the roll sign like the Redbirds did😄

3807 and a couple others have that. I think it's mostly still there, just painted over on some cars. 3807 used to have that with an R27/30 rollsign until those moron kids stole it.

I'm on a New Lots bound (4) train that "wrong railed" between Wall Street and Borough Hall at a normal speed.

That's Much better than crawling to Brooklyn at 10mph with workers in the tunnel. Why don't they do that more often? 

Edit: We also made a connection with a (2) train at Nevins St and both conductors indicated that the (4) would be leaving first. Informative information/Customer Service is improving! 

Edited by N6 Limited
Additional information

Could someone please explain to me why rollsigns have ASTORIA BLVD on them, when clearly it’s impossible to terminate a train at Astoria blvd without using the switches at Ditmars and and already end up AT THE PLATFORM at Ditmars??? We’re there every switches just south of Astoria blvd? I checked 1996 track maps and it hasn’t changed.

7 hours ago, BayParkwayW said:

Could someone please explain to me why rollsigns have ASTORIA BLVD on them, when clearly it’s impossible to terminate a train at Astoria blvd without using the switches at Ditmars and and already end up AT THE PLATFORM at Ditmars??? We’re there every switches just south of Astoria blvd? I checked 1996 track maps and it hasn’t changed.

NYCT is evaluating ways to add switches to make it a terminal, allowing service in Astoria to increase.

45 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

NYCT is evaluating ways to add switches to make it a terminal, allowing service in Astoria to increase.

I'm still hearing that the evil hump is confounding all efforts lol -- you got something different?

I've also heard that modifying the switch layout at Ditmars is on the table... 

17 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I'm still hearing that the evil hump is confounding all efforts lol -- you got something different?

I've also heard that modifying the switch layout at Ditmars is on the table... 

I am not sure I have heard anything different. Is moving/removing the TA facilities south of the station on the table to allow for faster switches?

8 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I am not sure I have heard anything different. Is moving/removing the TA facilities south of the station on the table to allow for faster switches?

Yeah, or just using a scissors switch config instead of the series of single crossovers to the middle. 

4 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Which do you think is more likely and which do you think would allow for the greatest increase in TPH?

Of the Ditmars alts? Probably the scissors -- a good, short 20mph exit from that interlocking would be a plus. But optimally, we would have both, or better yet, both and the changes at Astoria Blvd. 

47 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Of the Ditmars alts? Probably the scissors -- a good, short 20mph exit from that interlocking would be a plus. But optimally, we would have both, or better yet, both and the changes at Astoria Blvd. 

I was referring to the changes at Ditmars and Astoria.