SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, BayParkwayW said:

Could someone please explain to me why rollsigns have ASTORIA BLVD on them, when clearly it’s impossible to terminate a train at Astoria blvd without using the switches at Ditmars and and already end up AT THE PLATFORM at Ditmars??? We’re there every switches just south of Astoria blvd? I checked 1996 track maps and it hasn’t changed.

To answer the actual question, the post-overhaul signs had several extraneous options that wouldn't be possible without reversing or clogging up the line. Along with Astoria Blvd, there's both City Hall and Canal St on the 32s' north sign curtains and Kew Gardens-Union Tpke and Rockefeller Center on the south destination signs. I think their inclusion was to make up for the lack of adequate destination options on some of the older pre-overhaul signs (some of which dated back to Chrystie St). I guess if there was some incident that closed off the platforms at Ditmars Blvd, but left the tracks open to continue Astoria line operations, they would be able to correctly display the terminals for such an occasion. Oddly enough, this situation actually happened back in 2001, where (E) trains terminated at Canal St, but relayed at the closed World Trade Center station due to the cleanup of the WTC site.

On 12/16/2018 at 12:59 PM, Interested Rider said:

I was on the Brighton Line  at Kings Highway last Thursday about 1:45 PM when I spotted an 8 car R-42 on the northbound express track.

Are they running tests again like they did last June with the R-46 on the southbound express track north of Kings Highway?

It turns out that the R/42 was testing the timers on the express track. 

When I read that 4806 was part of the consist, I remembered that particular number was part of unit.

23 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I remember mentioning using adult-height faregates instead of turnstiles to help beat fare evasion.

This is just more proof that they work as intended:

The MTA could install these. With cameras and AI trained to recognize balls, they could be programmed to slam shut on turnstile jumpers.

Damn, a lot of trains were taking OOS due to mechanical problems today, just take a look at NYCT Twitter page. The (L) train in front of mine got pulled from service due to mechanical problems, that one didn't make the Twitter page.

It's funny as an (J) train got pulled from service at Alabama Ave around the same time the L train in front of mine "broke down" at Atlantic Ave, it went straight to the ENY yard leads from Atlantic.

Something funny happened to me on the (C) this morning. My train pulled into Jay Street (it was a R179) and we're sitting there for about 5 minutes. The C/R kept trying to close the doors and they kept reopening. Eventually, the train is OOS. Right when I was about to get on the (R) to Manhattan, they say the train is back in service. I just found it lowkey funny.

On 1/13/2019 at 4:50 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

For Fulton Street on the (J) line. Which direction is the Upper/Lower Levels? 

On 1/13/2019 at 5:21 PM, gravescend179 said:

Upper - To Broad St

Lower - Uptown , Brooklyn , Queens

A good way to remember which direction is which for the double deck stations is this. 

Trains bound for business district (Midtown, or downtown on the (J) ) will be on the lower level outside of the CBD and on the upper level in the CBD. The opposite is also true. 

It has to do with letting more commuters climb less stairs when they reach their destination. 

Exapmple: someone commutes on the (B) from 72nd CPW to 7 Ave/53rd St

In the morning they go down 2 levels of stairs at 72nd since the downtown platform is downstairs, and up 2 levels at 7 Ave since the downtown platform is above the uptown one. 

In the evening its reversed, down 3 levels at 7 Ave but up only 1 level at 72nd. 

CPW, Lex/63rd, 5th/53rd, and Fulton (J) are ones that come to mind but I'm sure there are more stations like this. 

On another note I spotted R160 9928 in service on the (E) with what looks like bright white LED headlights. Is this a test?

Hackaday posted a few days ago a little article on the subway signalling systems, it's a pretty cursory rundown but interesting nonetheless. revelatory part for me is the view of the parts that physically interlock in a mechanical interlocking. 

https://hackaday.com/2019/01/11/low-tech-high-safety-and-the-nyc-subway-system/

7 minutes ago, transitfan111 said:

South Bronx is scary too. 

The only time I've been shook in the bronx is when I had to look for a family member by 167 Street (4) at night. My cousin was lost and I was going up and down River Av. (If you know what I'm talking about, it was by the Grafitti covered Wall and Car lots). I was mad scared (Must of been like 10 years old) with my grandma . I remeber it was smelly too, and a lot of shady people. Jerome at night, nah man I'm good. (Mind you that was a long local back home. Lived in Corona, so 167 to 42st local all the way down to catch the (7))