SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

17 hours ago, itmaybeokay said:

I didn't say the machines shouldn't be replaced. They should be, and they are being replaced as I noted. I just said that the age of the physical hardware is not an indication of it's security. The age of the physical machine is not an attack vector. Literally the only attack vector you reasonably have on an MVM would be if you could somehow maliciously craft a magnetic card to overflow a buffer and deploy a malicious payload. You have 97 bytes to work with. Godspeed. 

It is not just the aged computer, but anything networked to it could be vulnerable.  There may not even need to have networking involved.  Any activities, offline or on, networked or not, that have some relation with the aged equipment, not necessarily technical activities, could cause problems that would ultimately affect security.  So for all practical purposes (at least in private businesses than I'm in; maybe government agencies are different), age IS a concern for security.  In short, you put an outdated equipment in any environment that has at least some relation to the mission-critical functions in that environment, you have a problem.  And that problem may affect security.  Sure, if you have the technical expertise to make an old computer secure, you can do that.  But nobody is going to do that in all practical purposes.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NYTransitWoe said:

It is not just the aged computer, but anything networked to it could be vulnerable.  There may not even need to have networking involved.  Any activities, offline or on, networked or not, that have some relation with the aged equipment, not necessarily technical activities, could cause problems that would ultimately affect security.  So for all practical purposes (at least in private businesses than I'm in; maybe government agencies are different), age IS a concern for security.  In short, you put an outdated equipment in any environment that has at least some relation to the mission-critical functions in that environment, you have a problem.  And that problem may affect security.  Sure, if you have the technical expertise to make an old computer secure, you can do that.  But nobody is going to do that in all practical purposes.

The complete fare collection system, inclusive of the MVMs, is already slated for replacement.

It's flatly incorrect that a physically old machine is inherently less secure. Most vulnerabilities are in software. Hardware vulnerabilities are fairly rare, and generally difficult to exploit. One could even make the argument that these older machines are more secure because they are too old to fall victim to the Spectre or Meltdown vulnerabilities. 

Yes, outdated operating systems are generally completely insecure. But also, Yes, the software on the MVM's has been updated. 

Besides, hardware that you'd consider outdated already handles roughly 80% of credit card transactions and probably 90% of ATM swipes. So entrenched are the aged systems that the problem is actually finding developers who can write COBOL. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-banks-cobol/banks-scramble-to-fix-old-systems-as-it-cowboys-ride-into-sunset-idUSKBN17C0D8

A choice quote:

In the United States, the financial sector, major corporations and parts of the federal government still largely rely on it because it underpins powerful systems that were built in the 70s or 80s and never fully replaced. 

So there you go. Decidedly more outdated equipment performing mission critical functions at the peaks of the economic food chain, and the core problem isn't the machines, isn't the security - it's finding developers who know COBOL. 

But, again. It doesn't matter - the machines, and the whole fare payment system is already slated for replacement. There's just no cybersecurity emergency requiring it be at the top of the list. The crisis just does not exist.

As you were. 

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but I got two quick questions: I know the Kawasaki built R142s can be upgraded to R188. Can the Bombardier built ones be upgraded to be fully compatible too or would they get a different designation (if at all) such as R188A or something. Also any idea if they ever plan on replacing the strip map with the LED display system found on newer trains?

7 hours ago, SuperDonut said:

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but I got two quick questions: I know the Kawasaki built R142s can be upgraded to R188. Can the Bombardier built ones be upgraded to be fully compatible too or would they get a different designation (if at all) such as R188A or something. Also any idea if they ever plan on replacing the strip map with the LED display system found on newer trains?

No plans to replace the strip map, but there is a plan to upgrade the R142s. If they can get Byford's plan funded and the IRT gets CBTC, in theory the R142 upgrades would go along with it.

23 hours ago, itmaybeokay said:

So there you go. Decidedly more outdated equipment performing mission critical functions at the peaks of the economic food chain, and the core problem isn't the machines, isn't the security - it's finding developers who know COBOL.

That reminds me… I’m supposed to be learning COBOL this year.

Quick question: you all know that little bend in the Steinway Tubes, about 3/4 of the way from Grand Central to Vernon-Jackson? Is there any reason they had to build the tunnel with that little segment, or is it just a weird oddity from construction? I ask because I've noticed now every (7) seems to take it at 35+ mph, sending the whole car flying from side to side. It's quite the doozy of a bump, that's for sure...

33 minutes ago, RR503 said:

New countdown indication for GT signals is under test right now — idea is that by telling ops when signals will clear, they’ll approach GTs (esp 1 shots) less cautiously. First install is on the n/b express at Barclays. Video:

https://imgur.com/a/W4uKhfX

Wow! That legitimately looks like it could help with T/Os being too slow near timers to avoid tripping them. Is this planned to be rolled out across the system? 

8 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

Wow! That legitimately looks like it could help with T/Os being too slow near timers to avoid tripping them. Is this planned to be rolled out across the system? 

Yes, though the timeline is...unclear. 

12 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Yes, though the timeline is...unclear. 

Great! I just tweeted @NYCT_Subway on Twitter to ask about it - I've noticed they're pretty good about just answering questions (I know someone who got an answer about what lights they use in the tunnels – changing to LEDs – and also what some bars on the tracks were at 7 Av on the (F)(G) – Culver CBTC equipment) about more technical aspects of the system. If they give some timeline I'll be sure to post the response here. 

I can't remember where I posted this, but here are details concerning the possible saving of the R110As

Your RFP R32443 calls for the conversion of RII OAcars to be modified to Two (2) Submersible Pump cars and Two Generator Cars. You are also providing eight (8) sets of 50-ton frames that will need to be inspected& certified and rebuilt to functioning bogies, all while meeting the Buy America Clause. After looking into the cost of freight two (2) ways for the R110A cars &the bogie side frames, the tear down & inspection of the RII OA cars, then the rebuilding of the same

R110A cars back up. We estimate that this is not economically the best option. As a manufacturer of new equipment, we are finding it hard to estimate costs to tear down and modify the RII OA cars and
tum them into pump cars & generator cars, we would like to ask that we be allowed to forgo the use o f the R110A cars and simply provide NYCT an alternative price using new components. We believe this will save NYCT money, provide a more reliable and operator friendly consist. Please provide a waiver to the complaint bid requirement before an alternative designlbid can be accepted.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/procure/addenda/200808add12.pdf

It's been a while since I've been to New York, but I may be visiting this year, and I wanted to finish off what I've been missing from my subway photo collection. I've begun tentatively planning an outing to photograph some cars outdoors in Brooklyn, but since the last time I've been to New York I've only gotten more cautious so I'd rather not go anywhere where I could be placing myself in danger. Can anyone comment on how safe the following areas are, to a guy waving a camera around:

-Brighton Beach (photoing R68As)
-assorted stations on the West End line (photoing R68s)
-assorted stations on the Livonia line (photoing R62s)

Obviously I wasn't born yesterday and I realize that common sense plays a significant role in how you are treated, but at the same time there's certain areas that it would just be wise to avoid, in the same way that I wouldn't go to our Toronto's Jane and Finch and start taking photos. If anyone would be able to help me out, that would be great!

Additionally, have there been any fantrip dates announced for the summer? Although I wouldn't have the time to attend one, I wouldn't mind stopping by whatever station the trip originates from to photograph the museum cars before they head out, if my trip dates coincide with that.

Thanks! 😀