SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/31/2019 at 11:34 PM, Lawrence St said:

I never knew trucks used to hit the el structure at Astoria Blvd. Wouldn't that cause  the structure to damage like it did on Penn Station (3)? (not 34-Penn)

On 2/1/2019 at 6:58 AM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Neither did I to be honest. This is the first time I’m hearing about it.

You don't hear about it because it wasn't too disruptive or news-worthy; the damage was minimal and did not affect the integrity of the structure. No money was spent on replacing the damaged parts, which means evidence of damage can be seen on the mezzanine and overpass beams/girders.

Clearance for Astoria Blvd under the mezzanine is 12.5 feet for the most part while Pennsylvania Av is 12 feet 10 inches; the structural damage would be more severe had the same truck that damaged the latter station's mezzanine passed under the former station.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Is it just me or are the new replacement signs matte? I notice they don't have that same sheen as the older ones.

Those replacement signs are really thin sheets of metal that are generally bolted onto existing signage—although they can replace the enamel sign should the agency choose to do so. For this sign, the text is carefully cut and pasted onto the sign, and then the entire text and background is laminated with some translucent white sticky layer; it is after the lamination process that the black background—which is actually glossy and smooth—takes on a matte-like finish. The MTA uploaded a video showing and briefly describing the construction of this type of sign at the Bergen Street Sign Shop.

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Almost all of the replacements are metal with a gloss protection instead of porcelain enamel, which carried that sheen. It looks worse and won't last for even remotely as long, but that's the MTA for you--take down what's not broken and then replace it with something lower quality!

They are less durable, but that is the point. Such signs are used because they are more economical; it costs less to reuse old enamel signs as a foundation for the sheet metal signs, as opposed to replacing the old sign entirely with new enamel signs. They are used as temporary signage during construction work, or really on any sign whose text is prone to multiple changes over the course of the expected lifespan of one enamel sign (i.e. train information signs on platforms). They can also serve as an interim until the agency gets around to ordering new enamel signs (whenever that may be); this should be what you are seeing with the changes to the station name signs.

2 minutes ago, Gong Gahou said:

You don't hear about it because it wasn't too disruptive or news-worthy; the damage was minimal and did not affect the integrity of the structure. No money was spent on replacing the damaged parts, which means evidence of damage can be seen on the mezzanine and overpass beams/girders.

MARTIN MBUGUAJAMES RUTENBERG

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS 

Saturday, May 2, 1998, 12:00 AM

A backhoe being hauled by a truck clipped the underside of an elevated Queens subway station yesterday, sending commuters inside running for cover as the floor buckled beneath them. Miraculously, no one was hurt in the 7:43 a.

m. accident at the N line Astoria Blvd. station. Transit officials expected the station to be fully repaired by Monday. Morning rush-hour traffic at the nearby Triborough Bridge was brought to a virtual standstill as emergency crews and heavy equipment were brought in to shore up the platform. The freak accident occurred when the top of a backhoe being hauled on a trailer by a dump truck hit the el, sending three of its steel support beams crashing to the street. Inside, the concrete floor in front of the token booth was severely buckled. "I was standing behind the counter when I heard a crashing sound," said Mohidul Islam, 38, manager of a Dunkin' Donuts next to the station. "Two of the beams had fallen down by the time I came to the window.

" "I didn't know what had happened," said the driver of the truck, whom police identified as Peter Volpe, 69. "I just looked through the rear-view mirror and saw the beams falling.

" The truck had just come off the Triborough Bridge and was making its way east on Hoyt Ave. South. "Nobody was injured, and that was the main thing," said the driver, who said he works for New Jersey's Roy Kay Inc. Police issued Volpe nine summonses. Commuters affected by the incident were less sanguine. Emergency vehicles that rushed to the scene forced officials to block off much of Hoyt Ave., the exit point from the Triborough for trucks. That slowed down exiting vehicles and backed up traffic on the Major Deegan Expressway for miles. Meanwhile, officials closed the Astoria Blvd. station which is used daily by more than 7,000 riders for most of the day, with trains bypassing it to and from Ditmars Blvd. Officials had the station partially opened by the afternoon rush. Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority officials are asking truckers to avoid the bridge this morning, as work is expected to tie up Hoyt Ave. South.

https://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/backhoe-cripples-el-article-1.800142

6 minutes ago, Gong Gahou said:

They are less durable, but that is the point. Such signs are used because they are more economical; it costs less to reuse old enamel signs as a foundation for the sheet metal signs, as opposed to replacing the old sign entirely with new enamel signs. They are used as temporary signage during construction work, or really on any sign whose text is prone to multiple changes over the course of the expected lifespan of one enamel sign (i.e. train information signs on platforms). They can also serve as an interim until the agency gets around to ordering new enamel signs (whenever that may be); this should be what you are seeing with the changes to the station name signs.

Somewhat. But it's not obvious to me that the sheet metal signs are at all temporary. You're speaking more of the hanging sheet metal signs that get plastered over the overheads, or the overheads themselves, which, you're right, need frequently refreshing due to service changes. I'm referring to new station kiosk entrance signs, pillar mounts, and wall mounts, which are almost uniformly tin at this point and already showing wear. Pillar signs do not need to be refreshed often–a name is a name–and replacing them should really on be on an as-needed basis. Among the problems is the bullets on new kiosk entrance signs is easily scratched at or destroyed. Almost every replaced sign since 2009-2010 has been sheet metal, and the longevity is significantly diminished. They're far less scratch- and graffiti-resistant than the porcelain signs, even with the 3M coating applied to all of them. For a sign like the Rector Street mounted pieces, which were unchipped porcelain which had easily lasted 30 years, it's entirely unclear to me why they were replaced with metal signs that are already showing scratches and wear. It's standardization, but there's very little logic to it. There's nothing economical about replacing an unworn sign with a less damage-resistant piece. 

6 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Are there any reasons to why the R62As are getting rollsigns like the R62? Is it part of the plan with the floor mats with arrows?

I don’t Know the reason, but the rollsign upgrades have nothing to do with the New York State upgrades which are the Yellow looped stanchions, LED lights, and floor mats. IMO the NTTs should have gotten them rather than the R46’s and R62A’s...

31 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Why do Conductors take so long to open the doors at Terminals? Can't they gather their belongings AFTER opening the doors?

When arriving at a terminal on a NTT the conductor must de-zone the position they were operating from, cross over to the opposite car, and then establish a new operating position before opening the doors. This allows the next conductor to board the train and leave in a timely manner. This is also the procedure for SMEE trains at terminals IIRC It’s an operational matter governed by rules and/or bulletin. Obviously Brooklyn Bridge and Bowling Green are exceptions in the IRT. Perhaps an active RTO employee can state it clearer than I. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Added some information

5 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

When arriving at a terminal on a NTT the conductor must de-zone the position they were operating from, cross over to the opposite car, and then establish a new operating position before opening the doors. This allows the next conductor to board the train and leave in a timely manner. This is also the procedure for SMEE trains at terminals IIRC It’s an operational matter governed by rules and/or bulletin. Obviously Brooklyn Bridge and Bowling Green are exceptions in the IRT. Perhaps an active RTO employee can state it clearer than I. Carry on.

How does it work on the (6) , you get paid for one long roundtrip or is it split? I dont think I worded this right sorry lol

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

How does it work on the (6) , you get paid for one long roundtrip or is it split? I dont think I worded this right sorry lol

A trip from Pelham Bay Park to Brooklyn Bridge and back to Pelham or Parkchester is considered one trip. Same thing applies to Dyre to Bowling Green or Van Cortland via the old SF loop. A trip from Dyre to Utica/Flatbush or 207th to Far Rockaway/Lefferts is considered a half trip. Train crews are paid according to the work program associated with each individual job. A person who is on the extra list may make 3 round trips from Pelham to the Bridge today and get paid for 8 hours while tomorrow that person might make 3 trips from Parkchester to the Bridge yet get paid for 9 hours. Different jobs, even on the same line, might pay more than others. Seniority rules in RTO. I, personally, would never pick a job on the (1) or (6) even if I lived next to the terminal at VC orPB. Too much cab time with trains that looped as far as I was concerned. A crew making a rush hour trip on the (1) from VC spent as much time on the train, if not more, than a crew making a trip from 207st to Lefferts or Far Rockaway on the (A) and probably got less pay. There were  no set rules regarding pay scale in my experience in RTO. Things might be different today. Carry on.

14 hours ago, VIP said:

IMO the NTTs should have gotten them rather than the R46’s and R62A’s...

If you're referring to the LED lights and stanchions, a lot of the R160s on the (E)(F)(M)(R) (as well as the ones that were running on the (C)) have been getting the whole deal–stanchions, LED lights, and floor mats. I've also seen a number of R142s with yellow stanchions (not looped), as well as the LED lights (can't remember if they've gotten floor mats or not). 

13 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Could they de-zone between the between the 2nd to last station and the terminal since they have to open the doors from the new zone anyway?

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

Could they de-zone between the between the 2nd to last station and the terminal since they have to open the doors from the new zone anyway?

Proper procedure is to change positions when the train is fully berthed in the station and the train operator has placed the train in emergency and removed their tools. Whether you are operating an R9, Standard, R62, or a R142 in passenger service that’s the way it’s supposed to be done. Simply put if I was a TSS standing at a C/R s position and the train arrived zoned up in your scenario said C/R would be out of service on the spot. Thirty years ago the C/R would be demoted and, depending on their record, possibly terminated if they were appointed and not promoted from within. A motor instructor or a Trainmaster were not to be played with back then. I was a C/R on a 9 car Lenox train headed to Flatbush when we were switched to the local track at Chambers St. The train was discharged at Chambers by myself and a motor instructor. When all passengers were off the train he told me that I could change positions while moving and go back in service on the n/b side after looping around the ferry. The key there was that there were no passengers aboard the train. Different era but the procedure remains the same. Carry on.

59 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

No, there are rules and procedures that we must follow and they're there for a reason. What if a door panel pops open enroute to the terminal and now since you already de-zoned you have no way of finding out and it just so happens that someone was leaning against the door and falls out?

I don't see why this is a big issue, y'all wait what an extra 10-15 seconds for the doors to open?

@Trainmaster5 I couldn't agree more. I don't care if i lived next door to Pelham, Parkchester or VC. I would NEVER willingly pick a job on the 1 or 6. The is just stressful from heavy ridership, the 1 has similar ridership and you're in and out all day with little recovery time. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I'd rather two on the duece over 3 on the 1. Atleast you can make money over there.

I think “the conquesters” or teens are actually disrupting (C) service on purpose by pulling the Emergency cord. And anyone else realize most of East New York’s R160’s looped stanchions are chipped up... really badly and it’s becoming more apparent. 

10 minutes ago, VIP said:

I think “the conquesters” or teens are actually disrupting  service on purpose by pulling the Emergency cord. And anyone else realize most of East New York’s R160’s looped stanchions are chipped up... really badly and it’s becoming more apparent. 

Besides teenagers to be fair, East New York usually ruins everything it touches anyways...

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

3 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

@Trainmaster5 I couldn't agree more. I don't care if i lived next door to Pelham, Parkchester or VC. I would NEVER willingly pick a job on the 1 or 6. The is just stressful from heavy ridership, the 1 has similar ridership and you're in and out all day with little recovery time. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I'd rather two on the duece over 3 on the 1. Atleast you can make money over there.

I’m a bit confused here. Do train operators make money based on the number of trips they made or is it based on number of hours they are on duty?

1 hour ago, VIP said:

I think “the conquesters” or teens are actually disrupting (C) service on purpose by pulling the Emergency cord. And anyone else realize most of East New York’s R160’s looped stanchions are chipped up... really badly and it’s becoming more apparent. 

I’ve realized that too, both from 207/Pitkin and East New York’s R160’s. I’d like to know how that happened in the first place. 

As for the part in bold, I mentioned that something like that happened while I was Railfanning a (C) train last week. I was hoping for a nice flick of the Train leaving the station (since R160’s aren’t staying on the (C) forever). The next thing I know, I hear. “Tchhh”, and then the train stops. Which ruined the clip I was trying to record, and I hear from some passengers and some (MTA) staff saying that it was a bunch of teens (possibly high school freshmen) messing with the emergency brakes. I just gotta wonder, do they really have nothing better to do? 

5 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

99 percent of the time its not bad behaving railfans either.

Exactly, (on a non-related note) I wish that railfans didn't have to get questioned by the police and T/O's so frequently every time they take photos, I was last week and would've gotten into more trouble if I didn't pull up the MTA rules on a whim. I wasn't really causing any problems to begin with, it's been happening for years as well.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

1 minute ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Exactly, (on a non-related note) I wish that railfans didn't have to get questioned by the police so frequently every time they take photos, I was last week and would've gotten into more trouble if I didn't pull up the MTA rules on a whim. I wasn't really causing any problems to begin with, it's been happening for years as well.

BIG upvote here. Try having those interactions with a name that lightly presses the "is this guy a terrorist" buttons, too...

10 hours ago, transitfan111 said:

I’m a bit confused here. Do train operators make money based on the number of trips they made or is it based on number of hours they are on duty?

Hours. Like Trainmaster said some jobs pay more than 8 hours which are known as “penalty” jobs. You get paid for every minute you’re working. Lines like the 2,3,4,5 have a lot of penalty jobs. On the 2 for example you could be working a job that pays for 9:30 mins and then something happens that forces you to clear 1 hour later. Now you just made 10:30 mins of pay, plus you get a bonus of 30 extra mins since they’ll divide the hour in half and pay you for that. The 1 line has a lot of jobs that only pays 8 hours.