SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

That cant be her, she sounds different for the PSA's in both the NTT's and on the intercom.

It is her. As @Calvin said, it's Velina Mitchell. Either that's her, or they happen to have interviewed a woman with the same name who just so happens to also work at the MTA. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

It is her. As @Calvin said, it's Velina Mitchell. Either that's her, or they happen to have interviewed a woman with the same name who just so happens to also work at the MTA. 

Then remove her. As I said, there are tons of people with great talent in NYC, I dont know why they stopped doing auditions.

Probably should just get used to it. It's likely much easier to do these recordings in-house rather than outsource them to the Bloomberg team and have to wait for them to send back the updated announcement recordings. I just wish they'd stop using the first take Ms. Mitchell gives as they always sound garbled, which is my main concern as the whole point of the automated announcements is that they should sound clearer than the average conductor.

I just wish they chose someone who was vocally trained to the degree of the Bloomberg people. In Mitchell's announcements there's a lot of awkward pauses (and as @Lance mentions they're also garbled) and it just doesn't sound as professional as the Pellet ones.

In my personal opinion, they should just choose one of Campion or Cowdery (since my personal favorite voice, Ettinger, no longer does voiceover work) and have them rerecord everything so it's standardized or get the people that do the PATH announcements.

4 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

In my personal opinion, they should just choose one of Campion or Cowdery (since my personal favorite voice, Ettinger, no longer does voiceover work) and have them rerecord everything so it's standardized or get the people that do the PATH announcements.

Agreed. I have no particular preference, even if it is Mitchell, but standardizing the recordings should be done at some point. Since the original recordings back in 2000 or so, there have been numerous changes to the announcements for service changes, new bus/train transfers, station name changes, etc. The ending result is a hodgepodge of different voices per announcement string. Also, if they ever did get around to redoing the announcements, perhaps they could agree to use one recording across all of the services. With @Mr Railfan's announcement dump over the past few weeks, it's become readily apparent that there are many instances where a station name recording was done multiple times for each line. (A)(C) vs (E) is an obvious one, but there are also ones like (N)(Q)(R)(W) vs (D) via Broadway (the latter of which has slower station announcements despite using the same person). I get why it was done, since the entirety of the (D) announcements are slower than the Broadway ones, but a complete redo, with awareness to avoid these types of inconsistencies, should negate the need for multiple and redundant recordings.

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I just wish they chose someone who was vocally trained to the degree of the Bloomberg people. In Mitchell's announcements there's a lot of awkward pauses (and as @Lance mentions they're also garbled) and it just doesn't sound as professional as the Pellet ones.

That new transfer at 207th St is really just...like why would you pause for no apparent reason?

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm so irritated with the delays and track work that I'm not paying too much attention to how announcements are said.  Everyone sounds EXTRA giddy now and they should given how horrendous service is.

I understand your point, but some of us are announcement foamers lol.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

I understand your point, but some of us are announcement foamers lol.

During the week, most of the lines I use don't have automated announcements. Same deal on weekends, so on the rare times that I get one of the newer trains I don't notice.  Usually it's the (A)(B)(D). The (E) here and there, the (1). On occasion I get the newer cars on the (F).

48 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

In the past, many people have described the (5) Line between East 180th Street and Eastchester-Dyre Avenue during overnight hours as being underutilized. If the ridership is so poor at night, what's stopping operations from returning to OPTO mode?

The (5) is currently OPTO late nights unless it is extended below East 180th Street for a service change.

Just now, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Are they using 5-car R142 sets for those trips? I wonder if they use multiple 5-car sets or just use one and have it cover service all night.

Yes they do. 1 R142 gets broken at Eastchester: it runs as a shuttle from 11:50PM until 5AM (last shuttle to E.180 St).