SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/12/2019 at 5:54 PM, FLX9304 said:

Yesterday, Traveling on the (C) train bound for Brooklyn, but got off at Chambers St/WTC, I saw two teenage girls sitting next to me. The one sitting in the center was in an argument on the phone, and some guy across the way though that she was saying something to her, and he took it seriously. He flew over to where she was sitting and threatened to beat her. 

I saw something like that on the 1, but this guy is raising his fist at a maybe 14 year old girl. 

My co worker riding with me later told me "you are actually the crazy one" because I got riiight in between that. 

"Hi!" (friendly tone, grinning wide) "you need to get off the train

He called me a narc and filmed me on his phone, told me I was going on worldstar - but you know what? He got off the train. 

also - probably don't follow my example on this one. 

26 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Does anyone know why the southbound platform at 34th Street-Herald Square on the Broadway Line is at a higher elevation than the northbound platform?

The original 33rd Street terminal on the Hudson & Manhattan Railroad was there before the subway line on Broadway was built. 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

I was thinking that if the MTA shuts down a portion of the subway for say 1 year, maybe CBTC could be installed more quickly. 

Say for example we could shut down the 6th Ave and reroute all the train onto 8th Av. I know capacity will be an issue. 

Is it feasible? I feel like it is better than an weekend and late night service change for seemingly life. 

I just don't have a clue how to fix W 4 St interlocking without massively disrupting the entire IND.

58 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

I was thinking that if the MTA shuts down a portion of the subway for say 1 year, maybe CBTC could be installed more quickly. 

Say for example we could shut down the 6th Ave and reroute all the train onto 8th Av. I know capacity will be an issue. 

Don't even think about it... capacity would be grosser than (7) and (L) levels

3 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Is it feasible? I feel like it is better than an weekend and late night service change for seemingly life. 

I just don't have a clue how to fix W 4 St interlocking without massively disrupting the entire IND.

The 6 Av full closure could be feasible if done during light ridership weeks (except there aren’t really any unless you consider December 25th at 5AM until December 31 at 5AM.)

then the (D)(F) swap could happen like it does on weekends, and modify frequencies on the two services to accommodate the other subway routes. I specified on this a while back on how the route changes would occur (mainly the partial de-interlining) of the subway. 

(M) to chambers

(B) in Brooklyn to Dekalb Av, then via the (Q) to 96 St

(N) via Montague / no (W) 

no (C) in Brooklyn; Lefferts (A) trains local in Brooklyn 

Some (D) trains local on CPW; trains via 8 Av Exp/Culver

(F) via Broadway-4 Av Exp / West End

12 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

The 6 Av full closure could be feasible if done during light ridership weeks (except there aren’t really any unless you consider December 25th at 5AM until December 31 at 5AM.)

then the (D)(F) swap could happen like it does on weekends, and modify frequencies on the two services to accommodate the other subway routes. I specified on this a while back on how the route changes would occur (mainly the partial de-interlining) of the subway. 

(M) to chambers

Funny enough, I mentioned such an idea like this one to Andy Byford when I met him a couple of months back. I suggested that for his Fast Forward Plan, CBTC installation for 6th Avenue would happen much Quicker if the whole line was shut down in this manner. He agreed with the idea but still suggested Nights and Weekend closures. 

36 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

(M) to chambers

Lefferts (A) has less service then Rock (A) , so you would be screwing over a lot of riders at that point.

I don't know if there is any holes in this plan but 

(M) to Coney Island Via Chambers/Montague/Sea Beach Local

(N) Broadway Local/Sea Beach Express Service reduced and replaced by additional (M) some service from Sea Beach/Bay Ridge in Brooklyn will terminate at Whitehall St/96 St 

(D) Via 8th Ave Express/Delancey/Culver to Coney Island, additional service between 145 St and Norwood-205 St

(F) Via Broadway Express/West End Express/Bridge to Coney Island 

(B) Suspended

additional (Q)  Broadway Express via Bridge/Broadway Exp

(R)normal service. 

(W) Service reduced ( (N) and (W) reduced by half), additional service btw Qnsboro and Astoria

(A) All local, additional service to/from Broadway Jct from Rockways/Lefferts to reduce headway on those branches

(C) Suspended

Additional (F) local in Queens 

Broadway Express

(F)(Q) 

Broadway Local

(R) reduced (N)(W) , free out of system transfer at Qnsboro Plaza for (7) 

8th Av Local

(A)(E) 

8th Av Express

(D) selected (A) 

West End- 

(F)

Culver

(D) 

Sea Beach

(M) reduced (N) 

Brighton 

Additional (Q) 

Fulton St

All local (A) 

Manhattan Bridge

(F)(Q) 

Montague

(R)(M) 

4th Ave Local 

(M)(R) 

4th Av Express

(F) 

Central Park Local

(A) 

Central Park Express 

(D) 

Edited by Mtatransit

6 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

I don't know if there is any holes in this plan but 

(M) to Coney Island Via Chambers/Montague/Sea Beach Local

(N) Broadway Local/Sea Beach Express Service reduced and replaced by additional (M) some service from Sea Beach/Bay Ridge in Brooklyn will terminate at Whitehall St/96 St 

(D) Via 8th Ave Express/Delancey/Culver to Coney Island, additional service between 145 St and Norwood-205 St

(F) Via Broadway Express/West End Express/Bridge to Coney Island 

(B) Suspended

additional (Q)  Broadway Express via Bridge/Broadway Exp

(R)normal service. 

(W) Service reduced ( (N) and (W) reduced by half), additional service btw Qnsboro and Astoria

(A) All local, additional service to/from Broadway Jct from Rockways/Lefferts to reduce headway on those branches

(C) Suspended

Additional (F) local in Queens 

Broadway Express

(F)(Q) 

Broadway Local

(R) reduced (N)(W) , free out of system transfer at Qnsboro Plaza for (7) 

8th Av Local

(A)(E) 

8th Av Express

(D) selected (A) 

West End- 

(F)

Culver

(D) 

Sea Beach

(M) reduced (N) 

Brighton 

Additional (Q) 

Fulton St

All local (A) 

Manhattan Bridge

(F)(Q) 

Montague

(R)(M) 

4th Ave Local 

(M)(R) 

4th Av Express

(F) 

Central Park Local

(A) 

Central Park Express 

(D) 

How about extending the Lefferts Boulevard shuttle to Broadway Junction for the additional service 

15 hours ago, itmaybeokay said:

I saw something like that on the 1, but this guy is raising his fist at a maybe 14 year old girl. 

My co worker riding with me later told me "you are actually the crazy one" because I got riiight in between that. 

"Hi!" (friendly tone, grinning wide) "you need to get off the train

He called me a narc and filmed me on his phone, told me I was going on worldstar - but you know what? He got off the train. 

also - probably don't follow my example on this one. 

You did right. If it was next to you, you have all rights to defend yourself by any means necessary. Even if you get filmed, that person will know the next time that he sees you, stay far away or take another route.

My (L) train has been stuck between Atlantic and Stutter Ave for like 20 minutes now, train crew over the PA said their having trouble with a train at Rockaway Parkway..

For a line that's 100 percent NTT it sure has been having a lot of breakdowns lately...

Also yesterday the MVM at Rock Park AND E105th weren't accepting cards SMH, MTA is garbage, GARBAGE.

When are these a**holes gonna make it where you can pay your fare though an app?  

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

My (L) train has been stuck between Atlantic and Stutter Ave for like 20 minutes now, train crew over the PA said their having trouble with a train at Rockaway Parkway...

For a line that's 100 percent NTT it sure has been having a lot of breakdowns lately...

Also yesterday the MVM at Rock Park AND E105th weren't accepting cards SMH, MTA is garbage, GARBAGE.

When are these a**holes gonna make it where you can pay your fare though an app?  

Society is more technologically sophisticated than in it was in the past. Someone with a solid understanding of code and encryption could theoretically cheat the MTA out of fares. Multiply such an individual by thousands and now you have another form of fare evasion. (Not that it'll make a considerable mark though, as many people with such a high level of education and skill aren't overly reliant on public transportation.)

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

My (L) train has been stuck between Atlantic and Stutter Ave for like 20 minutes now, train crew over the PA said their having trouble with a train at Rockaway Parkway..

LMAO the reason why the (L) is like that is because of constant CBTC problems with no true signal backup incase of failure. Most of the time, T/O's are operating blind.

44 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Society is more technologically sophisticated than in it was in the past. Someone with a solid understanding of code and encryption could theoretically cheat the MTA out of fares. Multiply such an individual by thousands and now you have another form of fare evasion. (Not that it'll make a considerable mark though, as many people with such a high level of education and skill aren't overly reliant on public transportation.)

This has already been exploited from before, it's easy to cheat a system out of the mid 90's in most circumstances. It doesn't even take a person with high education to cheat the system (clearly impacting on it's own), since there are so many other methods of doing it as mentioned before, that's it become too common among everybody. And the MTA's reasoning for convincing people to use the system is only getting smaller and smaller and smaller. 

10 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

After observing a few downtown (A) trains at Columbus Circle during the PM rush, they need to get those R46s off the line ASAP...

The dwell times and crowding are through the roof and its a night and day difference when a 60 foot train pulls in.

Absolutely! This has been a horrendous issue on the (R) as well and that line also runs R46's mainly. They are honestly fine trains for their time, but are less fitting to me now when I continue to catch them delayed, and dirty, run-down. 

Sadly, they will remain till' the R211 silently kills them, ending an old butterfly effect over the (MTA)'s lack of testing new railcars thoroughly before they buy them...

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

12 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

This has already been exploited from before, it's easy to cheat a system out of the mid 90's in most circumstances. It doesn't even take a person with high education to cheat the system (clearly impacting on it's own), since there are so many other methods of doing it as mentioned before, that's it become too common among everybody. And the MTA's reasoning for convincing people to use the system is only getting smaller and smaller and smaller.

The software used in the MVM's are periodically updated. When you see an MVM displaying "Cash/Coins Only," the culprit is usually a hardware issue due to how minimally often they are serviced. That is not indicative of some deficiency due to an outdated operating system. However, those machines suck and I'd always agree with people about that.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

After observing a few downtown (A) trains at Columbus Circle during the PM rush, they need to get those R46s off the line ASAP...

The dwell times and crowding are through the roof and its a night and day difference when a 60 foot train pulls in.

If anything, they should start assigning some R46’s to the (C) and give it’s 32’s to the (A). Next, the (R) should use more 160’s on a regular basis while the (W) (and some (N) trains) should be  R46’s. So I guess that’s a Quarter to half the fleet there. (Unless some are suddenly sent to the (G)), but I’m just foaming here. 

Yea, so I guess sending the 46’s to more routes could solve an issue for the (A) and (R) lines.

2 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

If anything, they should start assigning some R46’s to the (C) and give it’s 32’s to the (A). Next, the (R) should use more 160’s on a regular basis while the (W) (and some (N) trains) should be  R46’s. So I guess that’s a Quarter to half the fleet there. (Unless some are suddenly sent to the (G)), but I’m just foaming here. 

Yea, so I guess sending the 46’s to more routes could solve an issue for the (A) and (R) lines.

No no no, those R46’s need to go. 75ft cars in general. The (A) needed to be evaluated and diagnosed like the (E) was back in 1999. Give the (A) the R32’s exclusively. That line been needed 60ft cars since 2008.