SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

How do you know this exact figure, sir?

I heard from around the forums & other places that the R46 will be on the (G) until June 25, 2011.

If anybody didn't notice, the R68's population on the (G) has been increasing very slowly. The last time I was on the (G) I saw four sets of R68 (and it was on a Sunday too!).

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lance25
If they can't get new escelators to work, then why should anyone be expecting the MTA to be responsible for more ADA elevators? This is what I mean. They can't even get the existing stuff in working condition, adding more 'work' on top of things will just make things even worse.

Elevators at the major hubs/transfer points is enough. Bus lines parallel to the subways should be used to 'ferry' people to the subways.

But Court Sq(-23 St) is becoming a bit of a hub. It's the northern terminus for the (G) and only one of two transfer points to the (7) line from the IND in Queens. The problem with the (MTA) is that they always use lowest bidder, which, while getting the initial work cheaper, will almost always cost more in the long-term since said projects are usually built with shoddy, cheap materials that are wont to fall apart.

I know I said this already, but I hate it going downtown in the PM Rush when one has to wait 4 or 5 minutes for a (4) train and then there's a (5) pratically right behind it. Delays galore, anyone?

Or rather, poor timing FTL.

During PM Rush, sometimes the (4) and (5) get delayed and crawl into Franklin Ave. Occasionally, there's less traffic and the (4) and (5) get to come speeding in really fast.

Imagine the frustation of speeding into Franklin Ave on the (5)... and finding a (2) train across the platform that's sitting comfortably, getting ready to leave.

Such is life.

The (2) and (3) stack up pretty well between Grand Army Plaza and Franklin Avenue on the local track.

Yeah, it happens, but I'd say (4) and (5) train sandwich happens far more often.

Also, it's been noted that some (2) train service in the AM Rush that used to go up to Wakefield now terminates at E180th or Harlem-148th St instead.

Losing service during Rush Hour.... U MAD WAKEFIELD? :P

Can the (2) and (5) terminate at Church Ave or President st in an emergency?.Or am I dreaming? I ask because sometimes there can be a police investigation at Flatbush or something.So that would mean the entire Nostrand line has to be shutdown.or can at least some train terminate at the aforementioned terminals?

Some (2) that go down don't even come back up until the PM rush (they stay down there in Livonia)

Are we talking about the same thing? I was talking about trains going to the Bronx in AM Rush Hour, not going to Brooklyn in the AM Rush. Going to school, I sometimes ride a (2) that used to go to Wakefield, but now it ends at E180th St, creating a 20-minute or so gap in Wakefield service. So I just can't help but think how AM reverse-peak customers going to Wakefield might be getting the short end of the stick.

Can the (2) and (5) terminate at Church Ave or President st in an emergency?.Or am I dreaming? I ask because sometimes there can be a police investigation at Flatbush or something.So that would mean the entire Nostrand line has to be shutdown.or can at least some train terminate at the aforementioned terminals?

Seeing as how the (2) has single-tracked before, as long as we have operators on both ends on the train, I don't see why not.

They probaly can. The entire line would not be shut down. What will the LED signs say? I wonder.

They probaly can. The entire line would not be shut down. What will the LED signs say? I wonder.

I think it would probably just say "Flatbush Av"; I don't think a Church Av or President St program even exists. After all, when (2) trains terminated at Franklin Ave from a Weekend G.O., they generally just said "Atlantic Ave" (coming from Flatbush) or "Flatbush Ave" (Coming from Wakefield)

EDIT: Am I the only person who wonders why the R143 and R160 LCD is not color-coded? If the R179 changed this, I'd be really happy.

Guest lance25

Nah. It's just cheaper to have one color than to have multiple color LEDs. That may change however given the decreasing costs of multi-color LED displays (case in point the many TABs* and other displays throughout the system)

*TAB - Train Arrival Board (thanks to mark1447 for the name)

Nah. It's just cheaper to have one color than to have multiple color LEDs. That may change however given the decreasing costs of multi-color LED displays (case in point the many TABs* and other displays throughout the system)

*TAB - Train Arrival Board (thanks to mark1447 for the name)

I just mean like how the R142s and R142As have multi-colored LEDs inside the cars for the numbered line bullets. For example, the (4)(5)(6) trains still have Red LEDs inside their cars but the bullets are green. And the (7) has a purple bullet with the Red LEDs, and the (2) is all red.

But on the R160s and R143s, the Bullets for the different lines (like the (E) or (L) or (N))are all colored a gold-yellowish color. I don't like that.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I mean this:

r160int3.jpg

Not too hard to make a grey 'L', is it?

Posted: 06/15/2011 12:59AM

MTA Service Notice

Due to an ongoing police investigation at the Saratoga Avenue Station, there is no (4) train service between the Eastern Parkway-Brooklyn Museum Station and the New Lots Avenue Station in both directions.

Please expect delays on the (4) train service at this time.

Intersting their using Eastern pkwy to terminate.Why not use Utica? There is no train even terminating at this hour there.

Guest lance25

From mta.info

Due to a police investigation at the 51st Street Station:

Selected downtown (6) trains are running express from the 125th Street Station to the 86th Street Street Station.

Selected downtown (6) trains are running express from the 125th Street Station to the Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall Station.

Selected uptown (6) trains are bypassing the 51st Street Station.

Please expect delays in service on (4), (5) and (6) trains at this time.

Explain how the one in bold is possible outside of a battery run. Go on, I dare you.;)

Does anyone know what happened at 42 St PABT last night around 10:30? I got off the M16 and went into the train station and they said that the passageway to Times Sq is closed due to a police investigation. Everyone had to go to the 41 St exit, get a block ticket, and walk on the street to get to the other end

From mta.info

Explain how the one in bold is possible outside of a battery run. Go on, I dare you.;)

A whole lot of pixie dust B)