SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Now that you mention it, that explains the similar problems experienced on the BMT 4th Ave end of the Dekalb Ave spectrum with the (D) and the (N). But that damn (R) runs at the velocity of frozen molasses. You just can't win.

B division in general is dispatched differently than the A division, especially if your line goes through DeKalb and/or 4th Avenue. The folks in those towers are especially archaic. Can't completely blame the equipment, the T/O or the C/R nor even the passengers.

Edited by paulrivera

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys disappointed me tonight. Last weekend everybody went totally apeshit over R62A's running on the (2) to Flatbush, but I didn't see ANYONE come out to ride my (D) via 8th Ave tonight. R68 on 8th Ave!!!! OMG?

Anything coming from 4th Ave, but especially the (D), can suffer from the parade of work trains coming out of 36 St Yard. If you're really in THAT much of a hurry to get home, that's what taxis are for.

Edited by Snowblock

Last week (and many other times before), I've notice the (A) and (C) recently switching their tracks at Euclid Avenue station on the IND Fulton Street Line (one on the local while continuing to/from Queens and the other on the express to originate/terminate). I also found that they install a new third rail on the southbound local track. This happens around 8:10. Is this a regular occurrence based on schedule? Or is the express track switching connection to/from Grant Avenue broken east of Euclid Avenue which means track work?

You guys disappointed me tonight. Last weekend everybody went totally apeshit over R62A's running on the (2) to Flatbush, but I didn't see ANYONE come out to ride my (D) via 8th Ave tonight. R68 on 8th Ave!!!! OMG?

Anything coming from 4th Ave, but especially the (D), can suffer from the parade of work trains coming out of 36 St Yard. If you're really in THAT much of a hurry to get home, that's what taxis are for.

Huh? What do you think, Like I have a money tree growing in the backyard or I just struck the lotto. If that's the case I'll rent a helicoptor.

Dude seriously, taking the train from Brooklyn (And I mean Bensonhurst) to the Fordham in the Bronx can cost as much as 60 dollars! Like I have that kind of money. That amount wasted on a taxi can pay for a utility bill or groceries.

Edited by realizm

I've seen the (D) via 8th Ave before, and I have pics. Nothing special to me.

Huh? What do you think, Like I have a money tree growing in the backyard or I just struck the lotto. If that's the case I'll rent a helicoptor.

Dude seriously, taking the train from Brooklyn (And I mean Bensonhurst) to the Fordham in the Bronx can cost as much as 60 dollars! Like I have that kind of money. That amount wasted on a taxi can pay for a utility bill or groceries.

I ran out of likes, I gotta get up tomorrow and like this.

If you mean the HEETs, then it can be abused where 2 ppl will try to squeeze in to pay 1 fare. Those also takes up space and you will create a congestion of people waiting for those wanting to get out and others trying to get in. And god help you if the person in front is trying to swipe the card like 5 times because there's some read error. 

so no, it sounds ok on paper, but it's a disaster if implemented across the system.

Yeah I seen it. In fact on the real a kid tried to do that for me. I nearly got into a fistfight because of it because I locked his arm as a jerk reaction and got him on the floor (Meant to flip him) him when tried. I thought he was trying to rob me. Now that I think about it perhaps GC they could have phased it out (The HEETS if that's what I think you're talking about) for that reason because nonsense like that was very common. Good thing the cops was'nt there because that would have caused problems.

If anyone wonders why I cannot stand fare beaters and card scammers as I expressed in past threads it's for reasons like this.

Last week (and many other times before), I've notice the (A) and (C) recently switching their tracks at Euclid Avenue station on the IND Fulton Street Line (one on the local while continuing to/from Queens and the other on the express to originate/terminate). I also found that they install a new third rail on the southbound local track. This happens around 8:10. Is this a regular occurrence based on schedule? Or is the express track switching connection to/from Grant Avenue broken east of Euclid Avenue which means track work?

That's a pretty common move. Bringing the (C) in on the express track allows for a faster relay, since the train doesn't have to go all the way to the yard, and is done if that train (or that train's leader which is still relaying) is late. Last weekend they were working on A1 so EVERYTHING was coming in on A3, which led to a lot of frustrated customers who got held outside Euclid only to see the (A) pass them and then be gone before they could connect to it.

My point is that for $2.50 to go from Bensonhurst to Fordham is still a steal. The subway is MASS transit, and doesn't just serve you.

My point is that for $2.50 to go from Bensonhurst to Fordham is still a steal. The subway is MASS transit, and doesn't just serve you.

OK well yes, $2.50 is not bad for the services provided. have to agree on that one.

However I thought the MTA serves the public. It's a public benefit corperation is'nt it? Maybe I was wrong and if that's the case then I stand corrected. As a native New Yorker I would imagine that many others too, that day, would be fuming over the delays, myself included would be just a tad un-nerved by the delays. Don't get me wrong, It's not just about me as a straphanger, Mr. Snowblock. Read the newspapers, many people are equally upset over the problems that occurs sometimes with the transit system, and for a reason. They just don't complain just to shoot the breeze over coffee in starbucks for the sake of small talk or journalists writing over such subjects for the sake of filling the blanks on a newspaper page, that's what advertisments are for. This would be a very legitimate concern.

Edited by realizm

OK well yes, $2.50 is not bad for the services provided. have to agree on that one.

However I thought the MTA serves the public. It's a public benefit corperation is'nt it? Maybe I was wrong and if that's the case then I stand corrected. As a native New Yorker I would imagine that many others too, that day, would be fuming over the delays, myself included would be just a tad un-nerved by the delays. Don't get me wrong, It's not just about me as a straphanger, Mr. Snowblock. Read the newspapers, many people are equally upset over the problems that occurs sometimes with the transit system, and for a reason. They just don't complain just to shoot the breeze over coffee in starbucks for the sake of small talk or journalists writing over such subjects for the sake of filling the blanks on a newspaper page, that's what advertisments are for. This would be a very legitimate concern.

A lot of these complaints ARE crap.

"Fix my train line!" - Complainer

*MTA works to fix it*

"WHY ARE YOU NOT USING PIXIE DUST TO FIX MY TRAIN LINE THERE ARE SERVICE CHANGES MTA SUCKS!" - Complainer

How do you work with morons like this? Specifically, BMT Jamaica line last year and IND Crosstown on the viaduct had this exact problem. People want repairs and then complain when the repairs aren't done in five minutes with no service disruptions. Hell, you're seeing it right now with the (7) nonsense. Because you know, how dare the evil (MTA) try and improve service there with a better signal system.

Yeah I seen it. In fact on the real a kid tried to do that for me. I nearly got into a fistfight because of it because I locked his arm as a jerk reaction and got him on the floor (Meant to flip him) him when tried. I thought he was trying to rob me. Now that I think about it perhaps GC they could have phased it out (The HEETS if that's what I think you're talking about) for that reason because nonsense like that was very common. Good thing the cops was'nt there because that would have caused problems.

If anyone wonders why I cannot stand fare beaters and card scammers as I expressed in past threads it's for reasons like this.

I do get why they have HEETs for areas that have no booths or the entrance is a secondary one, but there's no way they should be used to phase out the turnstiles as imperfect as they can be. Now what I dont get is why they have removed more booths and left the turnstiles to be watched by the cameras. Im sure the cameras can record all the activities, but wouldn't 'boots on the ground' be a better deterrent?

I am getting really pissed off with the farebeaters. Look for a rise of them now with the fare going up trying to 'justify it' because they don't want to pay the higher fares. Mentality like that is why theres a problem with crime and loss of revenue.

I do get why they have HEETs for areas that have no booths or the entrance is a secondary one, but there's no way they should be used to phase out the turnstiles as imperfect as they can be. Now what I dont get is why they have removed more booths and left the turnstiles to be watched by the cameras. Im sure the cameras can record all the activities, but wouldn't 'boots on the ground' be a better deterrent?

I am getting really pissed off with the farebeaters. Look for a rise of them now with the fare going up trying to 'justify it' because they don't want to pay the higher fares. Mentality like that is why theres a problem with crime and loss of revenue.

I hope Staten Island can improve with Fare beating...

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

I just realized that Rector St on the (1) has no turnstiles nor HEETs on the downtown platform. Granted that it's the last stop and it goes through the loop back uptown, are there cops around the station since I believe nobody farebeats the station by entering the downtown entrance (or is it exit?) just to save $2.50?

Why is 57 St-7th avenue like that? Just the other day during the (Q) to 57 St-7th avenue planned service change, I sat on a (Q) train for almost 15 minutes(and of course I was already late) waiting for it to depart and what did I see on the other side? Another (Q) train leaving first. In this case, the time boards are critical and helpful.

BTW are there any other stations like that? 

Why is 57 St-7th avenue like that? Just the other day during the (Q) to 57 St-7th avenue planned service change, I sat on a (Q) train for almost 15 minutes(and of course I was already late) waiting for it to depart and what did I see on the other side? Another (Q) train leaving first. In this case, the time boards are critical and helpful.

BTW are there any other stations like that? 

Flatbush Ave on the (2) / (5)

Brighton Beach on the (B)

Flatbush has a sign to alert people, I honestly don't remember about Brighton Beach which is sad as I used that station for Four years lol 

Edited by trainfan22

Flatbush Ave on the (2) / (5)

Brighton Beach on the (B)

Flatbush has a sign to alert people, I honestly don't remember about Brighton Beach which is sad as I used that station for Four years lol 

Brighton beach and 57 street both have signs that show from what track the next train is departing. They are located in the lobby's by the turnstiles and not the station platform. 

What if you are transferring from a Downtown (N) or (R)

you would have to go up the stairs to where the turnstiles are and look at the LED board which shows which platform the next train is leaving. Alternatively, stay on to 42 street and wait for the train there. From my experience of taking the Q everyday, two times a day, if you are going somewhere in Manhattan (Southbound-towards Brooklyn) and are already on the local, stay on the local.