SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

25 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Wasn't one of the derailments a work train today as well as an R68A? Because from what I heard DJ Hammers said online he said one happened to be a Work Train. I'm not sure about the other, also 3 today? I thought it was 2.

Yes, I believe one was a work train along 4th Avenue Exp. The other one was an R68A (B) between Dekalb and Atlantic.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Reptile said:

Is there any supposed time frame for the R211 delivery? I presume 2021 but they might just be waiting for the pandemic to die down.

I think that is basically what's going to happen. There is no time frame for their delivery any time soon. I'm hoping that the (MTA)'s contract with Kawasaki is the same like Amtrak had with CAF for their Viewliners, the timeline could be extended to save doling out money at the present time. Personally, I don't know Amtrak just the NYCT, but I've heard this from someone that knew about Amtrak and their contracts, so I really am hoping that is the case at least for their Order Options. If so, they can then retire the R46's and maybe, just maybe the R68/A's as well.

49 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

I think that is basically what's going to happen. There is no time frame for their delivery any time soon. I'm hoping that the (MTA)'s contract with Kawasaki is the same like Amtrak had with CAF for their Viewliners, the timeline could be extended to save doling out money at the present time. Personally, I don't know Amtrak just the NYCT, but I've heard this from someone that knew about Amtrak and their contracts, so I really am hoping that is the case at least for their Order Options. If so, they can then retire the R46's and maybe, just maybe the R68/A's as well.

As much as I'd like to see the 75-footers gone, I don't see that happening with the R211s. The order's not large enough for that, even with all options. Bear in mind that 75 cars are for Staten Island and another 64 (part of one of the options) are set to Eastern Division standards (with the implication of bumping some rolling stock from more regular rotation on the (L)).

Even disregarding that, it'll still be some time before the R68/As hit R46 levels of failure.

I think the R211 hasn't been delivered yet is because Kawasaki probably isn't finished doing whatever it is they do with the train before delivery. State of Nebraska is probably having a hard time with covid which is probably delaying things.

Also the MTA has received new buses since the pandemic started so I doubt Kawasaki is just sitting on the train until covid ends or a vaccine comes out or whatever.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

As much as I'd like to see the 75-footers gone, I don't see that happening with the R211s. The order's not large enough for that, even with all options. Bear in mind that 75 cars are for Staten Island and another 64 (part of one of the options) are set to Eastern Division standards (with the implication of bumping some rolling stock from more regular rotation on the (L)).

Even disregarding that, it'll still be some time before the R68/As hit R46 levels of failure.

Well I did say maybe if there was something in the contract to prolong it to pay later for more trains, it's whatever if they don't get to the R68/A's. 

RIP to Track3 on the 42 St shuttle. Its final run was the 2358 Times Square to Grand Central for 11/6/20, car #s 1930-1946-1953-1951. This train is now getting transfered to Livonia Yard and the new platform at the Time Square end will be built over the tk 3 roadbed. Aside from some work trains over the next couple weeks, track 3 is now a piece of history, going back to 1904 when it was the uptown express track. 

2 hours ago, Snowblock said:

Can we arrest the murderer of T/O Gobles before we worry about the damn equipment? It's evidence in an ongoing investigation!

May that man rest in peace. He didn’t deserve to go down like that in such a horrendous way, especially when he was just doing his job.

On 11/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, danielhg121 said:

Yes, I believe one was a work train along 4th Avenue Exp. The other one was an R68A (B) between Dekalb and Atlantic.

That (B) Train derailment was actually at DeKalb Avenue by the switch and it was R68 on June 20 2000.

Car numbers was 2804-2807 with 2888-2891.

17 hours ago, jon2305 said:

It was 6346-6350 and no, no word on those sets being repaired.

Wasn't talking about that set since that set is most likely totaled. 6366-6370 only has minor damage from that fire.

17 hours ago, Snowblock said:

Can we arrest the murderer of T/O Gobles before we worry about the damn equipment? It's evidence in an ongoing investigation!

The guy that was accused of the fire was already arrested as ik. I only just saw a photo of one of the sets in service and was wondering. 

2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Silly question, but since when was the announcement “THE NEXT STOP IS” on the (4) and (5) changed to the one heard on the (2) line?

If this question was answered beforehand, I apologize.

It was charged during the mid-week of August, 10th or 11th. Some (5) trains have the Franklin Av voicing like the (2) except for the Medgars College being mentioned. 

3 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Silly question, but since when was the announcement “THE NEXT STOP IS” on the (4) and (5) changed to the one heard on the (2) line?

If this question was answered beforehand, I apologize.

It was, but I'll answer anyways, iirc it had something to do with not much storage left or programming issue on the R142/R142A. I don't know why they haven't done anything to fix it, but I'm guessing that is some issue that the (MTA) doesn't think is necessary to deal with. The same could be said about the programming on the R179 with announcements "THE NEXT STOP IS:" defaulting to the ones on the (A) and (C). They really need to get them fixed cause it kind of annoys me but that's just me nitpicking.