SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do get why they have HEETs for areas that have no booths or the entrance is a secondary one, but there's no way they should be used to phase out the turnstiles as imperfect as they can be. Now what I dont get is why they have removed more booths and left the turnstiles to be watched by the cameras. Im sure the cameras can record all the activities, but wouldn't 'boots on the ground' be a better deterrent?

I am getting really pissed off with the farebeaters. Look for a rise of them now with the fare going up trying to 'justify it' because they don't want to pay the higher fares. Mentality like that is why theres a problem with crime and loss of revenue.

Tell me about it. The reason why they are removing more booths is pretty obvious to the both of us: Downsizing the workforce. Really it's not fair to the riders (safety) and those who are aspiring to work for this historic agency with the perks it offers: Health insurance, relative job security, and decent pay, as such jobs are scarce in this job economy today.

I despise fare beaters and particularly metrocard scammers. Lowlives. Like I'm going to give them my hard earned dollars so they can get to the street corner for that hit of crack. They swear I must be that stupid to help them with their habits. Go get a job or move back in with yo moms. Really. They can be so damn annoying I'm ready to curse them out. (And I did a couple of times...)

If a person is out of luck and is stranded without a fare (and genuine about it and not just trying to re-up on the next hit of dope) I may take that to heart and say "here's a swipe" If I have an unlimited. But if they are trying to get cash from me for a swipe really they can kiss my ass. Go get a job loser. End of rant.

Edited by realizm

Now that you mention it, that explains the similar problems experienced on the BMT 4th Ave end of the Dekalb Ave spectrum with the (D) and the (N). But that damn (R) runs at the velocity of frozen molasses. You just can't win.

lol,realizm.spoken like a daily rider

i can walk form Fort Hamilton HS to Bay Ridge Avenue station AND GET THE TRAIN BEFORE the one I would get at 86th.Why?the dispatch held the train at 77th for ten minutes!

If a person is out of luck and is stranded without a fare (and genuine about it and not just trying to re-up on the next hit of dope) I may take that to heart and say "here's a swipe" If I have an unlimited. But if they are trying to get cash from me for a swipe really they can kiss my ass. Go get a job loser. End of rant.

There is this guy at Kingston S/B on the (C) who I see EVERY SINGLE WEEK who is begging for somebody exiting the station to swipe him in. I always make it a game to close the doors right as he's getting that swipe (IF he gets it....)

Sometimes at Queens Plaza the E train waits in the station for a while, then an M train comes. The announcement says "the M train will be departing the station first" or something like that, and it does.

Same thing happens queens-bound there with the M and the R, since they merge just past the station. They don't always make the announcement, but I always look for the holding lights :-). Or the green signal.

The worst is at Canal St S/B when you have an (A) across from the (C). From the C/R's position on the (C) side, you can't see the holding lights for the (A)'s track, so the C/R honestly doesn't KNOW which train is going to leave first unless the tower directs us.....it's just whoever's holding lights go out first.

Guest MTA Bus

Today, I was riding a R46 (F) to Coney Island. The train must have been late because it went express after Ditmas Av. It pulled in on the express track at 18th Av and went express to Kings Highway.

Today, I was riding a R46 (F) to Coney Island. The train must have been late because it went express after Ditmas Av. It pulled in on the express track at 18th Av and went express to Kings Highway.

Happens often during evening rush hours.

Would anyone happen to know if back in the 60's and 70's if the T/O's and C/R's had the "TA" logo pictured below as a patch on their uniform or did they not wear uniforms back then?

20030825-ta.jpg

IDK about the C/Rs, but back then T/Os didn't wear a uniform, T/Os didn't start wearing uniforms until sometime after the Union Square wreck..

Saw an R68A signed up as (G) earlier entering 71 Av on the local track going NB, it was a school car since it was empty.

I got trolled earlier, I was waiting for a Brooklyn bound (F) train at Continental, All of a sudden an R46 (F) comes in on the other side, so I run to go to take that to 179 then back into Manhattan. Next thing I know when I slow down for the switch at 75, On the other side is an empty R46 (F) into Manhattan leaving 75 Ave... Could have just waited a minute and taken that instead lol.

Would anyone happen to know if back in the 60's and 70's if the T/O's and C/R's had the "TA" logo pictured below as a patch on their uniform or did they not wear uniforms back then?

For C/Rs, I believe the patch was worn in the same fashion that it is today, on the sleeve. At least it was in that 1970 promotional vid on the MTA YouTube channel. The C/R in Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 wore the same uniform. That logo was certainly on the hat badge which you can buy at the TM.

For C/Rs, I believe the patch was worn in the same fashion that it is today, on the sleeve. At least it was in that 1970 promotional vid on the MTA YouTube channel. The C/R in Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 wore the same uniform. That logo was certainly on the hat badge which you can buy at the TM.

Hey, can you please share that link.  Thanks!

Edited by youngblaze

At 168th Street (1), does anyone know where these stairs lead and what purpose they served?

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?67024

img_127.jpg

If you look closely at a photo showing both sides of the platform 

you can see that the stairs exist on both sides in the same position, so it's logical to assume this used to be a crossover. 

According to this website http://www.stationreporter.net/168bway.htm :

"A third crossover and mezzanine, now used for employee space and a tower is at the North end."

I'd venture that the tower was original construction, before any kind of centralization there was basically a tower at every single interlocking - even if it was only a pair of switches. They needed stairs to get to the tower so they also had a crossover there. Once the tower was remotely operated, This whole space being isolated and out of view of the platform, with nobody sitting up there all the time would become a prime target for everything you'd want to avoid happening in the system. Thus, it was converted to employee space and blocked off. 

Bear in mind, a lot of that is speculation, but it's all deeply rooted in logic, and I'm sticking by it.