SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

That's funny as I think the (J) did skip Bowery on the local tracks in the 90s during rush hour.

It absolutely did.  Bowery was a non-entity back then, and also outside of rush-hour trains often terminated at Canal Street on the center stub-end tracks.  Not to mention the eastern half of the station still had its own exits on the other side of the street.  Different world entirely..

Edited by R10 2952

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Umm.... 

Someone made a comment regarding this notice (w/ the NYCT Subway reply). 

Interesting concept; traveling northbound from the Bronx to Jamaica.....

As for the retort afterwards, it's only fodder to the theory I've long had about the MTA (I've mentioned it on here a few times over the course of time) - They don't view the riding public as people, only numbers....

Totally unprofessional response to a f**kup, from the sarcastic verbiage on down to the emoji.

Morons.

18 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

That's funny as I think the (J) did skip Bowery on the local tracks in the 90s during rush hour.

It did. The (J) and (Z) both skipped Bowery during rush hours in the early 90s. I think by the middle of the decade that was stopped. I never saw the point in skipping Bowery. With the (brownM) still stopping there, a (J) or (Z) would get stuck behind it, losing time not saving it.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Totally unprofessional response to a f**kup, from the sarcastic verbiage on down to the emoji.

Nah. It was a perfect response. I've managed enough teams where I had to resolve customer escalations from innocent mistakes to see this response for what it is - clapping back at a nitpicky moron trying to insult instead of being helpful.

Customer Service isn't being obsequious; it's being honest and upfront with politeness.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Nah. It was a perfect response. I've managed enough teams where I had to resolve customer escalations from innocent mistakes to see this response for what it is - clapping back at a nitpicky moron trying to insult instead of being helpful.

Customer Service isn't being obsequious; it's being honest and upfront with politeness.

Yes, but we could understand them saying Wakefield or Dyre Av by mistake, but out of all stations, Jamaica-Van Wyck? Come on...

51 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Yes, but we could understand them saying Wakefield or Dyre Av by mistake, but out of all stations, Jamaica-Van Wyck? Come on...

Autocorrect does things; there's 4 stations with "Van" in it and rote memory messes up; could've CTRL+V'd the wrong one from the spreadsheet etc.

The issue isn't the error - it's the insult attempt instead of loling the error.

^^^^ Funny you posted that, I just came back from Albany which is not too far from Jamaica Vermont. I was surprised by how rural I-87 is once you go past Rockland County, at one point there was 17 miles between exits. Kind of an shock considering how busy the NJ Turnpike/I-95 is between NYC and DC.

At one point when 87 runs along side the Port Jervis line a PJ bound Metro North train went by :)

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

^^^^ Funny you posted that, I just came back from Albany which is not too far from Jamaica Vermont. I was surprised by how rural I-87 is once you go past Rockland County, at one point there was 17 miles between exits. Kind of an shock considering how busy the NJ Turnpike/I-95 is between NYC and DC.

At one point when 87 runs along side the Port Jervis line a PJ bound Metro North train went by :)

Better drive is US-9 or the Taconic since the Thruway has all those planted trees hiding the scenery from drivers.

I road tripped to Niagara Falls for my birthday in August - took the Thruway up. It was so much better when I switched to 81 in Syracuse to come back to the City since I actually got to see Upstate and the Southern Tier.

(When I still had a car, I did the drive to DC from the City via 1/9 once, and via 202 to Philly. There's nothing to look at in Jersey, so always take the turnpike so you get Delaware faster.)

1 minute ago, Calvin said:

Did the MTA ran additional service allowing trains to run through 3 AM in Manhattan like the (5) to/from Bowling Green -> Dyre Av on New Years eve?

Gawd, NYE.

No TSQ superspreader event but COVID's gonna have a good time with all the mini spreader events.

12 hours ago, Deucey said:

Lol, honest & upfront with politeness.... That was not some innocent response, it was a weak attempt at matching sarcasm with sarcasm; clapback at a clapback...

It was far from some perfect response.... Two wrongs don't make a right.... Shit was unprofessional as hell.... Person behind that MTA page has got to take their personal feelings out of it & realize that they're representing the entire agency.

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Utter carelessness.... Rather embarrassing.... Juvenile response to an a**hole retort... MTA went 0-for-2 in that exchange.

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

Autocorrect does things; there's 4 stations with "Van" in it and rote memory messes up; could've CTRL+V'd the wrong one from the spreadsheet etc.

The issue isn't the error - it's the insult attempt instead of loling the error.

Onus is on the MTA to not react to the insult attempt in kind (or even at all).... I get that the MTA's trying to be more interactive with the public with these social media pages, but that wasn't the way to go about that..... There's not being obsequious & then there's trying to "be real"....

7 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Never say never man, a northern (1) extension to Jamaica would literally make foamers go wild.

AqrF59H.png

Well if we have people on here having suggested running (1)'s to Yonkers, why not go the extra mile or two... Or 200 and change :lol:

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Ehh, from what I've seen on twitter, those "snarky" responses are sort of the expectation on twitter, versus, say, an email response. I think companies try to look "cool" on twitter and assign their "hip, young" interns to run the twitter feeds

And with all the justified crap (MTA) staff get from pax regularly, that insult over something minor that normally would've been deleted or had a correction underneath deserved that reminder that folks aren't perfect.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Ehh, from what I've seen on twitter, those "snarky" responses are sort of the expectation on twitter, versus, say, an email response. I think companies try to look "cool" on twitter and assign their "hip, young" interns to run the twitter feeds

So do I, but I don't even fault the MTA for the attempt (of trying to connect to the public/riding public via social media), but just... give a little reminder to these interns (or whoever they are) behind the scenes that this aint your personal page & do not (in so many words) take the bait by getting caught up in the cesspool of BS that runs rampant throughout social media.... You're representing something bigger than yourself right now.

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

So do I, but I don't even fault the MTA for the attempt (of trying to connect to the public/riding public via social media), but just... give a little reminder to these interns (or whoever they are) behind the scenes that this aint your personal page & do not (in so many words) take the bait by getting caught up in the cesspool of BS that runs rampant throughout social media.... You're representing something bigger than yourself right now.

If the MTA really wanted to get some good attention, they could start a "find an error in our messages and win a free metrocard " or something like that LOL

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

If the MTA really wanted to get some good attention, they could start a "find an error in our messages and win a free metrocard " or something like that LOL

It would be short lived..... Considering that there's already a bonanza going on with the farebeating epidemic in this city, hell, the fare may as well be free !

35 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

It wasn’t that deep 😂

Agreed, The NYCT response wasn't him (or her) being a dick at all. To me, it was a pretty classy response. Everyone effs up at times. Sorry that this guy, like he said, is a human being, but people at all levels screw up. Including the supervisors who this guy reports to.