SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2021 at 2:58 PM, Vulturious said:

As cool as the whole thing is, there are a lot of flaws that I saw. I literally took a good few hours discussing about the pros and cons if the MTA actually went ahead with this whole thing. If anyone would like to see it, it's about 7 pages long worth of discussing the pros and cons of each line and improvements or changes I would've gone ahead to make. Although, my opinion might not be agreeable to everyone, but just a thought from me and the most realistic way possible that could've happened.

Keep in mind that the youngest of these changes was proposed over 50 years ago. The bulk of the changes (1929 and 1939) would have been 80 years ago.

50+ years ago employment and residential patterns looked very different, and if these changes had been made the city would probably have grown to adapt and look different than it does today.

Edited by bobtehpanda

20 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Has anyone else been noticing that a lot of the R143's are missing strip maps?

It could be that they are swapping the original ones out with the new ones that feature the (J)(Z) but perhaps they didn’t have enough time to put them in? 

It would have been useful to see a picture of what you are talking about though. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It could be that they are swapping the original ones out with the new ones that feature the (J)(Z) but perhaps they didn’t have enough time to put them in? 

It would have been useful to see a picture of what you are talking about though. 

Huh, I was thinking the same thing.

On 1/12/2021 at 7:14 PM, Vulturious said:

Here's the video if you guys haven't heard it yet.

All stations between 61st street and 90th street have the announcements. I like how they finally installed more countdown clocks which is something all stations should have more of. I always found it dumb that big stations with multiple sets stairs and elevators have 1 clock. 

12 minutes ago, Deucey said:

IDG why the IND was chosen to have new countdown clock displays installed 1 per platform instead of making use of the ones that were installed but only showed the date and time.

Also, why are those now shut off?

They had a goal (every station has a countdown clock) and they found the easiest way to comply with it.

Jamaica Yard has been mixing their R160s recently ( a lot than Coney Island Yard). A Siemens and Alstom prolusion as one train.  

2 trains are seen on the (R) - 8708-8712 w/ 9068-9072 and the other one is 8988-8992 w/ 9283-9287. 

Edited by Calvin
It happens at some time, just that it's been seen more often than a coincidence

28 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Jamaica Yard has been mixing their R160s recently ( a lot than Coney Island Yard). A Siemens and Alstom prolusion as one train.  

2 trains are seen on the (R) - 8708-8712 w/ 9068-9072 and the other one is 8988-8992 w/ 9283-9287. 

I can only imagine the  sound of those mixed sets leaving stations....

They removed the bench on the N/B platform at Union Square on the Broadway line. Personally, I pissed about this cause I use to love sitting at that bench to wait for R68/A N/Q/W trains.

I hate when they remove benches in the system, it's more comfortable to wait for the train sitting down, especially in the summer.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

They removed the bench on the N/B platform at Union Square on the Broadway line. Personally, I pissed about this cause I use to love sitting at that bench to wait for R68/A N/Q/W trains.

I hate when they remove benches in the system, it's more comfortable to wait for the train sitting down, especially in the summer.

Ugh.. please don't remind me of waiting underground for a train during the summer 😓

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

You actually sit on those wooden urinals?

17 minutes ago, Deucey said:

The benches are useful when the train is late or operates on low tph routes, and one simply doesn't have the stamina to stand (especially the disabled). It's quite a shame most of them are dirty, though I will say, the seats on the trains themselves are typically on a whole other level of disgusting.

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I hate when they remove benches in the system

Found it even worse when they add leaning benches into the system. IMO it detriments riders, and has little impact on the homeless, total miss...

13 hours ago, Deucey said:

As opposed to those fiberglass urinals at the ends of each car?  😉

Why I keep the basic rule: outside clothes come off the minute I walk in the door. Cold day in hell before I sit on my bed in the jeans I wore on the subway.

38 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Why I keep the basic rule: outside clothes come off the minute I walk in the door. Cold day in hell before I sit on my bed in the jeans I wore on the subway.

At least plastic is relatively easy to clean.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Well I lean on the doors, and they hose down the cars, so I'm okay with that vs sitting on a wooden pisser.

And on the platform, since it's unlikely for folks to go higher than 5 ft on a steel post, I'm safe leaning on then given that I'm 6'1 and my shoulder is right at that limit. 

But seeing hobos sleeping in benches and that trail of liquid behind their feet says that if God said "Sit here or you're going to hell", I'm finding a real estate agent that specializes in the Second Circle.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Wait, please tell me your joking about the seats at the end of the car...