SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I didn't know the B'way-Lafayette (D) (if it's true).

There's one scheduled (D) train every evening which runs lite from Coney Island Yard to B/L via the Culver line, and then goes into service there. This is because of the clusterf**k of work trains coming out of 38 St Yard which mucks up traffic between 9th Ave and the bridge.

I actually though about picking that job, just for kicks, but it starts/clears at the wrong end for me.

Hey, can you please share that link.  Thanks!

Sure. The C/R is around 5:20 basically looking like he's investigating a door problem. Although I'm guessing some liberties were taken with this since that's not how quite how it's done today and probably not then either (not w/ doors open). Part 3 had a scene where they show schoolcar & some training towards the end.

Edited by BroadwayBuffer

Last Sunday at 103 st I saw a 2 layup come into the station due to service changes with the 2 ending at 96 st

Also may 1 train was crowded and ran expresscvia the local track and stopped at

96 st, 72 st, 42 st (where I got off) the anouncment said the train was running local afterward

cool-story-bro.gif

Sorry if this was discussed before, but I've noticed ten daily rush hour peak direction (A) services operate to/from Euclid Avenue. I guess those are the trains that normally go to/from Rockaway Park-Beach 116th Street.

And there's also some other problems I've always experienced. The Lexington Avenue/Eastern Parkway Expresses are always a crapshot at rush hour, especially when going southbound in Brooklyn during the PM Rush - numerous delays, crawling and back-ups. Is there capacity issues east of Utica Avenue on the Eastern Parkway Line which explains why the (4) is often held around Kingston or near Utica? Is Utica is unable to handle all the (4) services which explains why some go to/from New Lots via the local track east of Franklin Avenue? The (2) and (3) are much more reliable in terms of speed based on my experience during the PM Rush heading southbound, being that there's no bunching and gaping on the Seventh Avenue Express/Eastern Parkway Local. I won't even stress about the Nostrand Avenue Junction since the (3) and (5) get held there to let the other of which proceed first, and even delaying the (2) and (4) behind them. Reverse goes true northbound.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

2w5k7c2.png

how in the world does a (5) show up on Nostrand at this time of night?

also forget about those absurd wait times for the (2) trains; subwaytime/ATS is either messing up, under maintenance, or both. the system thinks that it is currently taking every train 7 minutes to get from Church to Beverly. a lot of times during the day subwaytime shows 15+ minute waits for a (2), (3), (4), or (5) train; which I find hard to believe unless intervals are being abandoned left and right

I know this is a stupid question but-

Why isn't South Ferry One Of the Stops on the (5) Line? The (5) Passes South Ferry Loop to Reroute to the Bronx , right? Think of it , South Ferry Will Have more Transit riders getting off from ether the (1)(5) And (5) Also Giving No more Crowded Trains on the (5) or (4). Is this a good idea?

Why isn't South Ferry One Of the Stops on the (5) Line? The (5) Passes South Ferry Loop to Reroute to the Bronx , right? Think of it , South Ferry Will Have more Transit riders getting off from ether the (1)(5) And (5) Also Giving No more Crowded Trains on the (5) or (4). Is this a good idea?

Something having to do with platform space.

see: http://nycsubway.org/wiki/Station:_South_Ferry_%28IRT_West_Side_Line%29

As part of the West Side Line construction, a second loop track and

platform was constructed on the inside of the first. The tracks were

configured in such a way that the inner loop and platform was directly

connected to the tracks from Bowling Green, and the outer (earlier) loop

and platform would be served by the trains from the West Side line.

Essentially a separate station, the South Ferry inner loop platform was

used until 1977, mostly by a shuttle to the Bowling Green station on the

Lexington/Brooklyn IRT. Because of the sharp curve (even sharper than

the outer loop), trains could open only their center doors at the inner

loop station, and so instead of a full platform face, the platform was

mostly walled off from the track with arched openings along the wall

where the cars' center doors would be. Starting in the late 1950s, when

the new R-type cars displaced most of the original IRT rolling stock,

trains arriving from the Lexington line on nights and weekends were

rerouted to share the outer loop, because on the new cars it was not

possible to selectively open only the center doors. The weekday shuttle

used specially modified cars that opened only center doors, and

continued using the inner loop until service ended in 1977. The track

past the inner loop is still used to turn the #5 train when it is

terminating at Bowling Green and not running to Brooklyn. The inner loop

platform at South Ferry is now used for crew quarters, offices,

storage, etc. and has a separate entrance from the fare zone upstairs.

There was no free transfer between trains on the two platforms. The

platform walls on the inner loop station were decorated with small

mosaic friezes similar to those found at other Dual Contracts-era

stations.

Having the (5) stop at the South Ferry Loop would delay the (1) and the (4) and as it was mentioned, the max amount of trains that can pass through SF is 24 TPH.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

WDF!! PIX11 was reporting a story at Hunts Point Av on the (6) and it showed the R62A (6).. Seriously.. Damn..

WHOA!!!!! Wow, I'm gonna need to open a new roll of paper towels to wipe up all the foam on my face!

That is correct, Cortlandt St station is now open, and you heard it first at SubwayTime.