SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stormxx said:

The difference between R160A's and R160B's are the doors, right? The A's make a whirring sound and the B's are silent.

For the R160C's (cuomo), are they all Alstom built?

To your first question, yes the door motors are slightly different. The R160A door motors tend to be the more quiet ones than the R160B ones. There may be other small differences that no ones pointed out yet.

As for the Cuomo R160s, 70 R160Bs and 30 R160As were used for Jamaica. There’s also 8 more R160As that are used in ENY. 

Edited by SimplyMyself

24 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I was watching a video earlier and I find it really disappointing how people think fare evasion is a joke. Its not even about paying the fare, its so (MTA) can keep track of ridership and not remove service where it doesn't need to. 

It's about both. The system doesn't run for free, and part of the monies the (MTA) receives is from people paying to use the service. The fewer people that pay, the less revenue is available.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's about both. The system doesn't run for free, and part of the monies the (MTA) receives is from people paying to use the service. The fewer people that pay, the less revenue is available.

The thing is that im seeing more fare beating at station u would think covered with police officers and by ppl u also wouldnt think does it....Just last fri im waiting on the 4 at fulton st and came across this fine ass women standing at the turnstile....I thought maybe cause of the recent rash of subway pushing she decided to stand off the platform...Soon as the train pulled in she hop over like a pro...I was like wow and still try to talk to her but she brushed me off thinking i was a undercover cop...:lol:

5 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

The thing is that im seeing more fare beating at station u would think covered with police officers and by ppl u also wouldnt think does it....Just last fri im waiting on the 4 at fulton st and came across this fine ass women standing at the turnstile....I thought maybe cause of the recent rash of subway pushing she decided to stand off the platform...Soon as the train pulled in she hop over like a pro...I was like wow and still try to talk to her but she brushed me off thinking i was a undercover cop...:lol:

The cops don't bother anymore because when they do, you have groups out there yelling how it's wrong to target people farebeating because many of them supposedly can't afford the fare, but somehow, they have money for expensive clothing and phones. <_< It's a question of what people prioritize, and paying the fare for some isn't one of them. It starts at a young age.  I see many teenagers that have money for food, that will walk right on the local bus and walk right past the driver, who believe that they shouldn't have to pay anything, even when they are out of school and are just hanging out. 

When I was a teen, which wasn't that long ago, my parents always made sure I had money for the bus or subway if I was going somewhere, so I could pay.  I would imagine most parents do that, but again, comes down to priorities. 

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The cops don't bother anymore because when they do, you have groups out there yelling how it's wrong to target people farebeating because many of them supposedly can't afford the fare, but somehow, they have money for expensive clothing and phones. <_< It's a question of what people prioritize, and paying the fare for some isn't one of them. It starts at a young age.  I see many teenagers that have money for food, that will walk right on the local bus and walk right past the driver, who believe that they shouldn't have to pay anything, even when they are out of school and are just hanging out. 

When I was a teen, which wasn't that long ago, my parents always made sure I had money for the bus or subway if I was going somewhere, so I could pay.  I would imagine most parents do that, but again, comes down to priorities. 

I've seen a lot of people on reddit get screamed at for saying stuff like that.

5 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

To your first question, yes the door motors are slightly different. The R160A door motors tend to be the more quiet ones than the R160B ones. There may be other small differences that no ones pointed out yet.

As for the Cuomo R160s, 70 R160Bs and 30 R160As were used for Jamaica. There’s also 8 more R160As that are used in ENY. 

Incorrect. The R160A door motors have a wiring sound while R160B’s do not and are silent. The shells on R160A’s aren’t as glossy as the Shells of R160B’s. R160A -manufactured by Alstom R160B- manufactured by Kawasaki. There are other differences but only conductors and train operators will know since the details are in the operating cabs. 

On 2/6/2021 at 1:30 AM, Deucey said:

Going from one to another is a different contract and different union, so there's no real reason to give up your seniority to start all over again.

Add to it that they're all separate companies with different unions and ownership, and cross-division transfer isn't really something available. (NYCTA and the NYCT authorities are only run by (MTA), while Bus Co, B&T, and the railroads are owned by (MTA) but not actually merged together.

Geek mode: closest and simplest cognate is the Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi alliance. Renault own a controlling share of Nissan, Nissan own a non-controlling share of Renault and a controlling share of Mitsubishi. They're all separate companies with separate employee groups, but coordinate ops and manufacturing and design so all three (eventually; Nissan and Renault do now) build most vehicles off common frames/platforms and share drivetrains, but factory workers at one can’t transfer to one of the others.

(Caveat: Bus Co will eventually going to merge legally with NYCT Bus, as bus ops is technically a tendered franchise from NYC DOT to NYCTA, Bus Co and MaBSTOA.)

I'm assuming the question was relating to operating personnel and your answer to that is correct. I do know of two cases where supervisors were shuffled interagency for one reason or another. When I was retiring from NYCT I ran into three superintendents in front of the Livingston St,  Brooklyn headquarters whom I had known for my whole career. They introduced me to a fourth person who was coming over from the LIRR to take over the Lexington lines. Just so happened that I knew someone who worked for him at the railroad so I knew his situation. Brother knew the job there but his upward mobility was blocked so rather than lose him the (MTA) gave him the subway slot. I also knew a NYCT supervisor who had a politically connected mom which allowed him to advance past more knowledgeable people and be put in charge of part of the RTO department of subways. He screwed up and was exiled to the SIR ,and although it wasn't portrayed that way , most of us weren't fooled. He eventually was "rehabilitated" and came back to NYCT. My thoughts.  Carry on. 

On 2/8/2021 at 2:28 PM, biGC323232 said:

came across this fine ass women standing at the turnstile....I thought maybe cause of the recent rash of subway pushing she decided to stand off the platform...Soon as the train pulled in she hop over like a pro...I was like wow and still try to talk to her but she brushed me off thinking i was a undercover cop...:lol:

She didn’t swipe her MetroCard, but she sure did swipe left on you. 😂

On 2/8/2021 at 2:37 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I always close the emergency gate behind me if I use it, and one day at Moshulu Pkwy three people screamed at me because they didn't want to pay the fare lmao.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

I always close the emergency gate behind me if I use it, and one day at Moshulu Pkwy three people screamed at me because they didn't want to pay the fare lmao.

Yeah well let the (MTA) keep it up... Between these horrendous redesigns, the out of control platform pushings and lost revenue, and they'll be even further in a hole next year.

15 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah well let the (MTA) keep it up... Between these horrendous redesigns, the out of control platform pushings and lost revenue, and they'll be even further in a hole next year.

Yeah the subway pushing and slashing is way out of control.....Its to the point where i carry a blade now for protection....I know police cant be everywhere but i cant recall the last time ive seen a cop on a train or even a few at a certain station...

56 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Yeah the subway pushing and slashing is way out of control.....Its to the point where i carry a blade now for protection....I know police cant be everywhere but i cant recall the last time ive seen a cop on a train or even a few at a certain station...

And to think when they passed the "no passing thru train cars" law there would be no fewer than 10 cops on station platforms (literally, 1 per train car) going all out on ticket blitzes.

Yea, there's a legit safety aspect to not having folks pass thru train cars, but they also used to give out summonses for the crimes of sleeping on the train (whether you were homeless or not) and taking up more than one seat at 3am (even when there would be no one within 20 feet of you on the train.)

18 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I've seen a fight break out at Church av. (2)(5) due to that very thing..... Don't get yourself injured (or worse) trying to play hero; this isn't your fight.

Hell, why do you think b/o's don't even bother trying to enforce the fare anymore.....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I've seen a fight break out at Church av. (2)(5) due to that very thing..... Don't get yourself injured (or worse) trying to play hero; this isn't your fight.

Hell, why do you think b/o's don't even bother trying to enforce the fare anymore.....

I know, but its sad that it comes down to people wanting to fight other people for trying to do the right thing.

(MTA) spent $225 million on the "pay your fare" campaign and everyone laughed at them. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I know, but its sad that it comes down to people wanting to fight other people for trying to do the right thing.

(MTA) spent $225 million on the "pay your fare" campaign and everyone laughed at them. 

Nice job (MTA) , you've done a great job wasting millions to be laughed on.

The (F) had a drop in ridership, the TA had plans to continue the route with its cut schedule. 

The (C), the fleet amount may be the cause of this (pooled with the (A) using R46)

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-subway-service-cuts-f-c-lines-mta-20210211-3f2a644bhzctjmoqqebjzzywj4-story.html?fbclid=IwAR3PHt8XUI5imO3Hgj8gXmqcJrcLj-xiICe1h9fWwlb7D5nKICglqyj3Dx4

Edited by Calvin

33 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The (F) had a drop in ridership, the TA had plans to continue the route with its cut schedule. 

The (C), the fleet amount may be the cause of this (pooled with the (A) using R46)

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-subway-service-cuts-f-c-lines-mta-20210211-3f2a644bhzctjmoqqebjzzywj4-story.html?fbclid=IwAR3PHt8XUI5imO3Hgj8gXmqcJrcLj-xiICe1h9fWwlb7D5nKICglqyj3Dx4

Well the MTA is definitely being non-transparent, trying to keep it on the down low thinking no one will notice, but what else is new?

Honestly, it's not just in New York that the transit agencies are trying to pull this kind of stuff right now; off the top of my head, I can think of 3 or 4 other cities across the country where transit service has been quietly cut since the summer without so much as a press release.

What's even more reprehensible is that when confronted about it, they try to use the coronavirus as an excuse to justify their underhandedness...

Edited by R10 2952

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-subway-service-cuts-f-c-lines-mta-20210211-3f2a644bhzctjmoqqebjzzywj4-story.html

Service cuts on NYC’s C and F subway lines to be made permanent, MTA officials say
By CLAYTON GUSE
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS | FEB 10, 2021 AT 7:09 PM

MTA officials have quietly cut service on a pair of subway lines over the past year — and the longer waits for some riders are expected to continue for the foreseeable future because the agency is short on train crews.

The cuts began in January 2020 when transit officials pulled an entire fleet of new subway cars from service due to a door malfunction. Those cars — called R179s — primarily serve the A and C lines, and their absence required some trains that serve the F line to be moved.

The car shortage caused rush-hour headways on the C line to rise by 25%, from eight minutes to 10 minutes, said Zach Arcidiacono, a Transport Workers Union Local 100 official who represents train operators on the subway’s lettered lines.

Rush-hour headways on the F line jumped by more than 50% from less than five minutes to 7.5 minutes. And midday service headways on the F line increased from seven minutes to eight minutes on weekdays, Arcidiacono said.

Those cuts were initially thought to be temporary — but continued through the spring after Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials cut service on all of the city’s subway lines as the COVID-19 pandemic left the agency with a shortage of healthy crews.

Even as subway service on other lines was restored over the summer, the cuts on the C and F lines remained after all of the R179s were once again pulled from service in June after two cars came unhitched in a Manhattan subway tunnel. The cars have since returned to service.

“C and F service were reduced nearly a year ago during the time we were running essential service and we never brought them back to full service due to very low ridership,” said MTA spokesman Ken Lovett. “Overall subway ridership is still down 70% from prepandemic levels and we are still dealing with the COVID-19 crisis and its impact on our workforce and budget.”

Service changes normally go into effect in May and November, when train crews pick new schedules. The November 2020 schedules that are supposed to be in effect for the C and F lines reflect only minor tweaks, but the MTA simply doesn’t have enough people to run them.

“They don’t have enough manpower to run the full schedules and they don’t want to pay the overtime,” said Arcidiacono. “We’ve also had problems getting operators in training classes because of COVID concerns.”

The MTA this month will implement reduced service on the the two lines, something they’ve done repeatedly over the last year. But unlike earlier reduced schedules, the new schedules for the C and F lines aren’t being justified by a major emergency.

The ongoing cuts have continued without public hearings or comment, which are generally required by federal rules. Federal Transit Administration regulations state “a locally developed process to consider public comment” must be conducted before “carrying out a major reduction in transportation service.”

“If you’re going to talk about reducing service there should be public scrutiny,” said Arcidiacono. “Do it in a way that’s public and transparent and that takes into account the whole subway system.”