SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

9 hours ago, Calvin said:

There's something I'm wondering on the front sign on either the R46 or R68/A [1st or last car of the train]. At 96 St, if a (Q) arrives at the last stop but as via Sea Beach. Changing the sign to an (N), how does one know if the sign is set correct as an (N) ? 

*Similar as (R) to a (Q) 

Most of the time, the (Q) or <Q> bullet would show up only on the front of the train (north end), with the rear and center bullets left as the original route. But then the bullets had to be reset to the original route on the north end to not confuse passengers getting on at the last car. Sometimes this was done and other times not so much, depending on the operator and whether or not the train was running late

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/17/2021 at 5:17 PM, paulrivera said:

I wonder how many Jessica Ettinger announcements are going to be deleted to make room for these new elevator announcements.

You mean to tell me a lot of Jessica’s announcements on the (4)(5) were deleted  precisely to make room for newer, pointless announcements like the Select Bus Services and new elevators? How lazy can they get.

And people who live in this city/ride the damn trains/buses everyday for as long as they have should already know the whereabouts of the elevators in their respective stations/the Select Bus Service routes. You can’t always babysit everyone.

34 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

You mean to tell me a lot of Jessica’s announcements on the (4)(5) were deleted  precisely to make room for newer, pointless announcements like the Select Bus Services and new elevators? How lazy can they get.

And people who live in this city/ride the damn trains/buses everyday for as long as they have should already know the whereabouts of the elevators in their respective stations/the Select Bus Service routes. You can’t always babysit everyone.

The folks being “babysat” (not exhaustive):

• Blind people

• People who relocated from one neighborhood to another

• People who sustained temporary or permanent injuries who are trying to get home without hiring a car

• Tourists

•People new to transit

•People litigious about the ADA

•People who give a damn about other people

It’s amazing to me the things folks here get upset about, but the getting upset about train announcements giving riders information about step-free access and bus transfers is a new and sad one.

And by sad I mean “this is the hill you chose to stake a claim on?

On 2/17/2021 at 10:01 PM, MHV9218 said:

Don't worry, he doesn't! And you were not! 

Unless filing complaints about B/Os and reporting them to supervision daily, in the hopes of getting them punished and/or fired, counts as saving jobs...

Thanks for your posts. The rest of us get exhausted. Most people on this site really do support transit workers and believe in their work.

If you're going to post, post accurate information, not lies. You're definitely not exhausted about anything, that's for sure. 

@Lawrence St Funny... When you were complaining about drivers bypassing you or being nasty to you, that was a valid issue then. lol

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If you're going to post, post accurate information, not lies. You're definitely not exhausted about anything, that's for sure. 

@Lawrence St Funny... When you were complaining about drivers bypassing you or being nasty to you, that was a valid issue then. lol

@Via Garibaldi 8 You know I appreciate you for what you do, but sometimes you do tend to go over the top with it. 

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 You know I appreciate you for what you do, but sometimes you do tend to go over the top with it. 

Listen, when the issue is about you, then I can take care of you. If it doesn't involve you, then it's over the top. When you've complained about rude drivers or being bypassed or other things where you could've been injured, etc., I have never passed judgment on you. I went and worked to address your problems and got your bus stop installed so you could board safely (as you should). I was not there when you've had your issues, and you were not there when other things have transpired with myself or other passengers, so you really have no right to tell me about going over the top when you were not there to experience what happened. 

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Listen, when the issue is about you, then I can take care of you. If it doesn't involve you, then it's over the top. When you've complained about rude drivers or being bypassed or other things where you could've been injured, etc., I have never passed judgment on you. I went and worked to address your problems and got your bus stop installed so you could board safely (as you should). I was not there when you've had your issues, and you were not there when other things have transpired with myself or other passengers, so you really have no right to tell me about going over the top when you were not there to experience what happened. 

Um, that's not what I meant at all. Relax dude.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Um, that's not what I meant at all. Relax dude.

I'm totally relaxed. I'm just rather confused about your accusations about me "going over the top". In your case, no driver was reported, so please do enlighten me as to what you're referring to? Furthermore, I speak with a number of bus operators regularly. We have a very good relationship and I speak with one of the union reps as well. 

As for @MHV9218, you should speak about what you know. 

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It’s interesting that they came for you on that when I posted entire Twitter threads here about that one s52/42 driver who always found a way to leave late or claim his bus broke so he didn’t have to drive.

Oh well.

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

It’s interesting that they came for you on that when I posted entire Twitter threads here about that one s52/42 driver who always found a way to leave late or claim his bus broke so he didn’t have to drive.

Oh well.

They will always come for me. That's how SOME immature individuals perform in this forum. I'm fine with it. What isn't cool is to outright lie about things that are just inaccurate. Most of the complaints from my group do not involve bus operators. When they do, yes, we move address them, and often times we refrain from reporting specific drivers so that action is not taken against them. I have been contacted in private a number of times by operators. They speak with their colleague privately and that's the end of it. No report to the (MTA) ... They prefer it that way.

Let's not make up things here. You post constant complaints about specific routes, drivers, services, delays, stops, etc. online, via the Advocacy group, Twitter, everywhere constantly. It's fine, I get why. No need to pretend otherwise. This is really a fundamental tension here: you're trying to be a riders' advocate, which means reporting and criticizing MTA workers if you feel service isn't being provided properly. In a way, that's your job. But you have to know that each time you declare a bus didn't show up, service was screwed up, an operator wasn't nice to you, whatever, that's an MTA worker's job being thrown into question, and sometimes taken away. If you say "there was a forty minute gap" that's a supervisor or dispatcher who gets in trouble. If you say "this operator doesn't stop for us" that's an operator getting written up. So that's always going to come into tension with workers. It's like how you just trashed the token booth workers up here, and then you had to come face to face with somebody who actually works that job. This a transit forum, so most of us take the side of the workers. Frankly, I like the operators better than the customers. And I'd have to be wronged pretty damn badly to consider filing a complaint about an MTA worker, but I've called in to nominate for Apple Awards in the past. You're much more willing to report an operator. That's fine, it's your prerogative, and I respect your intentions in getting better service for riders. Just an unhappy fact that there's always an MTA employee with a family to feed at the other end of the complaint.

11 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Let's not make up things here. You post constant complaints about specific routes, drivers, services, delays, stops, etc. online, via the Advocacy group, Twitter, everywhere constantly. It's fine, I get why. No need to pretend otherwise. This is really a fundamental tension here: you're trying to be a riders' advocate, which means reporting and criticizing MTA workers if you feel service isn't being provided properly. In a way, that's your job. But you have to know that each time you declare a bus didn't show up, service was screwed up, an operator wasn't nice to you, whatever, that's an MTA worker's job being thrown into question, and sometimes taken away. If you say "there was a forty minute gap" that's a supervisor or dispatcher who gets in trouble. If you say "this operator doesn't stop for us" that's an operator getting written up. So that's always going to come into tension with workers. It's like how you just trashed the token booth workers up here, and then you had to come face to face with somebody who actually works that job. This a transit forum, so most of us take the side of the workers. Frankly, I like the operators better than the customers. And I'd have to be wronged pretty damn badly to consider filing a complaint about an MTA worker, but I've called in to nominate for Apple Awards in the past. You're much more willing to report an operator. That's fine, it's your prerogative, and I respect your intentions in getting better service for riders. Just an unhappy fact that there's always an MTA employee with a family to feed at the other end of the complaint.

Uh no, when a bus is missing, no driver is being reported, so let's post facts here. One of the main reasons the group was created was because of poor service for years, primarily missing trips that were being left unfilled for whatever reason, and that quite frankly was the source of most complaints, as riders were arriving late to work, late to get their kids and so on, yet you've twisted it to make it sound like we're out to get (MTA) workers. If the same trip goes missing over and over, then yes that should be addressed, and that's what it comes down to.

The rest of what you've posted above is accurate, but we have plenty of drivers that have received acknowledgement for great service and have posted in the group, but at the end of the day, the group is not advocating for (MTA) workers. That's why they have union reps. I have spoken with one of the union reps about all of this. He gets it and we have a good relationship. There are thousands of (MTA) workers. Not all of them will receive a glowing review.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

at the end of the day, the group is not advocating for (MTA) workers. That's why they have union reps. 

Sure, whereas by and large, this forum and its members are advocating for MTA workers. That's the natural tension, and I'll happily cop to that charge. Will I look the other way if an operator does something that bothers me? Honestly, yes, short of being spat on, I'm probably not going to give him a hard time. Usually it's just somebody having a long, tough day. Hell, a lot of people on here are advocating not just for MTA workers but MTA rolling stock!

4 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Hell, a lot of people on here are advocating not just for MTA workers but MTA rolling stock!

Well I have nothing left to advocate for in that regard; too old for that shit LOL.  Besides, the R32s and R42s are gone and what remains just ain't the same; the B Division is now like A Division after the Redbirds left- bland and monotonous.

Edited by R10 2952

56 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Well I have nothing left to advocate for in that regard; too old for that shit LOL.  Besides, the R32s and R42s are gone and what remains just ain't the same; the B Division is now like A Division after the Redbirds left- bland and monotonous.

Too true.

I still don’t get how y’all can tell the difference between a R160 and R179 on sight. 

Fanning was better when you could sit at Marcy Av and see two R160s, the occasional R143, then R32 and a R42 in the same 10 minutes. Now it’s just trains.

The early to mid 70s was peak time period for foaming for the subway. Pre war cars ( the arnies) the SMEEs and the R44 and few years later R46s were all running in the system at the same time. I wasn't around for the 70s but for time I was alive for (and remember) the late 90s and the transition period from 60FT SMEEs to R160s was the best. That period was fun cause the B div SMEEs got bounced around to various lines before they got tossed in the Atlantic.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

I still don’t get how y’all can tell the difference between a R160 and R179 on sight. 

R179's have, what I can only describe as a grey lip/line, on the very top of the car (just above the route sign). R160's on the other hand do not have this lip, and the black glass stretches over the top edge of the front of the car if that makes any sense. That's usually the easiest way to visually distinguish between the two.  

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Fanning was better when you could sit at Marcy Av and see two R160s, the occasional R143, then R32 and a R42 in the same 10 minutes. Now it’s just trains.

The (C) also held that status for a short amount of time (running some combination of 32's, 46's, 160's and 179's at one point). It seems the mixture of fleets across many lines has died down due to CBTC and the retiring of the 42's and 32's. Lack of variety these days is lame and I wasn't around for much of it, but it is what it is. 

6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Hell, a lot of people on here are advocating not just for MTA workers but MTA rolling stock!

You don't say...

If the last 4 replies (including mine) are anything to go by, we care a lot about this crippling agency's rolling stock lol.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

I normally tell by the propulsion. Also notice that R160's run on the (E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(N)(R)(W)(Z) and R179's run on the (A)(C)(J)(Z).

3 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

we care a lot about this crippling agency's rolling stock lol.

Rolling stock for Coney Island would take a nasty turn if the (MTA) doesn't exercise the options. We all know that the R46's wont last long... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 2/18/2021 at 12:47 PM, R68ACTrain said:

I heard about this before, it's a new program on the (4) and (5) for wheelchair passengers.

Yes, because the (MTA) "cares" about us.

My guess is R46's retire around 2023-25

My take.

27 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

R179's have, what I can only describe as a grey lip/line, on the very top of the car (just above the route sign). R160's on the other hand do not have this lip, and the black glass stretches over the top edge of the front of the car if that makes any sense. That's usually the easiest way to visually distinguish between the two.  

Don't forget the front-end LED route indicators. The ones on the R179s are roughly orange (like those on the R142As), while the R160s have displays that are closer to those of the R142s, which lean toward crimson. (Of course, some may have a hard time differentiating for one reason or another.)

2 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Don't forget the front-end LED route indicators. The ones on the R179s are roughly orange (like those on the R142As), while the R160s have displays that are closer to those of the R142s, which lean toward crimson. (Of course, some may have a hard time differentiating for one reason or another.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I'm less likely to notice that than I am to go to the front of any car and read the barcode sticker.

That's the loss the subway fan community has to deal with - looking for minor details instead of just looking down the tunnel and seeing a slant or vertical lights to know it's a different train.

Fleet commonality is kinda lame.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I still can not tell the difference between an R62 and an R62A, except for the dirt (cause 207th St never deep cleans the front of the R62A's).

I never cared enough to know the difference, same with the 68/68A.  Though I like how easy it is to distinguish an R142 from an R142A.142As have a more vivid appearance with darker contrast. 142s look washed out in comparison lol.

On a different note I'm loving the smooth rides/braking with the R179s on the A/C. When the R160s arrived more than a decade ago (damn time flew) I didn't think it could get any smoother. Now I wonder what the R211s have in store in terms of ride comfort.