SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Apparently some of the R42's are starting to be marked as scrap, this source is unverified but perhaps an (MTA) worker can confirm?

They are, DJH has confirmed (on Discord) that there was a move yesterday or two days ago that brought the last R42 trains from ENY to Coney Island. They will probably be stripped of parts before heading off to scrap.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

makes sense to send them to scrap via 38th st yard. they probably need 207th open for the future R211 deliveries.

Speaking of R211 deliveries, I heard (and this is just a rumor so I can be wrong here) they started on delivering them. Maybe the video shown recently in the R211 thread was them preparing it for delivery. 

47 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Speaking of R211 deliveries, I heard (and this is just a rumor so I can be wrong here) they started on delivering them. Maybe the video shown recently in the R211 thread was them preparing it for delivery. 

that's their test track, They aren't gonna start delivering them between mid to late march and early april.

Also the scrap location makes sense for them to off load trains from South brooklyn since their destination is the easiest route from brooklyn.

There's a man giving instructions to someone in a wheelchair about getting to Prince Street from Brighton Line. Instructions were insane: get off at Atlantic Avenue and transfer to the (N) or the (D) to Broadway–Lafayette Street. 😂 I'm not gonna open my mouth. The guy seems a little unhinged.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

It's owned by the city and operated by NYCTA. Whenever a move there has to be done, they get a lot of TA cars to block off the roads and open fences to let the train through. 

Incorrect, NYCTA only operates the section between the West End connection & the River Yard.

B.A.T gets mostly daily shipments from either CSX or NYAR.

Also, is there still any connection in the system that connects the subway with the national rail system? I know Sutter Av used to have a flyover to the Bay Ridge branch.

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Incorrect, NYCTA only operates the section between the West End connection & the River Yard.

B.A.T gets mostly daily shipments from either CSX or NYAR.

Also, is there still any connection in the system that connects the subway with the national rail system? I know Sutter Av used to have a flyover to the Bay Ridge branch.

I think the South Brooklyn Railway only refers to the part from 36-38 St Yard to South Brooklyn Marine Terminal. The LIRR Bay Ridge Branch is owned by the LIRR and operated by NYAR. There's only 2 connections to the national rail system, one of them being Sutter Ave flyover and this is the second one.

22 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Nah, believe me if they were delivered (or even on the move) you would have heard about it everywhere by now...

If you really wanna know when they're on the move, check the Chicago railfanning groups since they'll have to pass through the area on the way here.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Did I miss a memo or something? Since when does the (N) run local on 4th Av during weekends?

(And no the (F) was not ending at Church Av).

They're going to be local for a good half of this year. They announced it a while back. It's why I don't take the (N) even if the website doesn't mention "express-to-local."

Edited by CenSin

On 2/28/2021 at 3:21 PM, CenSin said:

They're going to be local for a good half of this year. They announced it a while back. It's why I don't take the (N) even if the website doesn't mention "express-to-local."

The (D)(N)(R) are all sharing the local track overnight in Brooklyn

On 2/27/2021 at 2:08 AM, Vulturious said:

As @Around the Horn said, that's just a lie. The first set isn't supposed to arrive until april.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:32 PM, Vulturious said:

Wait a minute, I swear I saw a video about this issue, but it wasn't an R160 that had that issue, it was an R143. Maybe from a different time, but I do remember it was an R143.

It's really not that hard to tell the difference from an R68 to an R68A. The biggest visual difference comes from the window where the rollsign is located. It is a full glass pane while on the R68, it isn't. maxresdefault.jpg

As you can see, if it wasn't thanks to this filter, you can clearly see the rollsign window isn't a full glass pane window. You can also see how the front route bullet rollsigns look, Concourse actually has their rollsigns positioned lower while Coney Island's are higher position, but there is a bit of an empty space you can see on the bottom which is an R68. The R68A is always positioned higher, but there is no empty space on the bottom which you can tell is an R68A. 31698829253_13e9b0d5d8_b.jpg

There are other noticeable differences such as how the rollsign on the interior looks like, the R68 has their sticking out, while the R68A doesn't. There's also the storm doors, but I can't remember how they look like. You can also hear from their propulsions, the R68 sounds the most similar to the R46's but honestly much better, the R68A sounds most similar to the older SMEE's like the R32, R40S/M, and R42.

Now as for the NTT's, it's really easy to tell them apart other than from just their propulsions unlike the R68/A's. The R142 and R142A being the most different from each other. The R142 have alstom propulsions of course, but there's also the front face and back face. There is a line on top of the R142 on the front and back face which you can clearly see while on the R142A, there isn't a much more cleaner design compared to the R142 imo. There's also the front windows on the R142 that look to be sticking out unlike the R142A. maxresdefault.jpg

There's not really much differences from the R142A and the R188 since a good chunk of the R142A were converted to R188. There are new R188's that were built, but even then there's still not really much difference, if not at all.

The R143 compared to the R160's in general actually have more than just a flag placement difference. The doors on the B end of the cars are single on the R143 unlike the R160's, but there is also the Overhead which has a white cover found also on the A division NTT's, but black on any newer car models of B division NTT's. 

There are technically 4 different R160's, but to be honest it's more like 3. The R160A-1 and R160A-2 are both built by Alstom and are the same, only difference is that the R160A-1 are the 4 car configuration and the other is the 5 car configuration. Both can be coupled to work together, I have seen videos of a 9 car R160 which was the 4 car and 5 car coupled being tested. Now compared to the R160B, the only other difference you can tell are the door motors. The R160B-1 and R160B-2 have only 1 difference which is their propulsions, the R160B-1 being the Alstom Onix propulsion and the R160B-2 being the Siemens. You mistook the Siemens propulsions having part of its sound coming from the R142A, but they aren't, the propulsions on those trains are Bombardier.

Now as for the R179, there are a lot of differences. First off, the R179 looks more fatter compared to the R160's, the front face doesn't have that black part extending further than the edge on the top unlike the R160's and other NTT's. The propulsions sound similar to the R142A, R143, and R188 since it sounds to be an upgraded version, although it sounds much more annoying compared to the Alstom Propulsion. There are the different door motors which I'm not going to lie, sounds pretty satisfying compared to the the R160A's. The B end of the car's exterior have indents all over except for the edges. The side LED signs looks to be more narrower compared to the R160 and the interior Overhead is more wider with newer LED's. There's not much other differences, but the FIND's LCD screen panel has their texts much larger compared to the R160's FIND.

This is pretty much all the difference that I can point out. So if anyone here still doesn't know how to tell the difference between a few difference trains, here you go. I might've missed a few details, so please add on or call me out on some of the details I said.

That is true but there is one part of the R160B Siemens propulsion, that the R142A has as well.