SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

Cheaper to run over the bridge?

How would it be cheaper? If it's running local on 4th Av during the weekends, that's just going to add more wear and tear on the switches. You also have the issue of interfering with the (Q) further since it's running along the bridge and then splitting up to run local and interfering further with (R) service. It's not like before where it interferes only once when it runs local on Broadway, but express on 4th Av, it has to cut it off twice. I'm assuming when you say "cheaper" you mean less (R) service to deal with? I could be wrong but that doesn't make it any cheaper and just useless. The only bright side to come from this is the (D) trains don't have to deal with the (N) only deals with the (A), but that's pretty much it. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something random I've been thinking about; the designation of express/skip-stop variants of routes as diamonds versus letters.

Unless the variant is significantly different from the original route, is there really any point in it being a separate letter? Why (9) when it could've just been <1>? Why (Z) when it could just be <J>?

Personally, i think they made the right call in designating the Culver express as <F> instead of some new letter.  Keeps things neat and simple. 

Edited by R10 2952

4 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Something random I've been thinking about; the designation of express/skip-stop variants of routes as diamonds versus letters.

Unless the variant is significantly different from the original route, is there really any point in it being a separate letter? Why (9) when it could've just been <1>? Why (Z) when it could just be <J>?

Personally, i think they made the right call in designating the Culver express as <F> instead of some new letter.  Keeps things neat and simple. 

The (9) and (Z) are/were the "B" designations for the (1) and (J) (the "A" designations). Unlike a local/express setup (one variant serves all stations while the other skips certain stations), a skip-stop setup requires variants to skip one station and serve the next, with some stations being served by all trains and no trains serving all stations.

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Spotted a 8-car train of R42s heading north along the 8th Avenue line earlier tonight. I guess they're going to 207 to get stripped and scrapped.

not going to scrap, from what i heard the scrap track is closed at 207th st yard. that's why they have 1 train of R42's at 38th st yard.

Did the MTA eliminated the redbirds that used to be in refuse service? I've seen a rail adhesion train image and recent trash trains that'll have an R42 paired with a adhesion car with an R32 while the numbered section has 1 R127 or another with R134 front to back

On 3/4/2021 at 1:45 PM, Vulturious said:

How would it be cheaper? If it's running local on 4th Av during the weekends, that's just going to add more wear and tear on the switches. You also have the issue of interfering with the (Q) further since it's running along the bridge and then splitting up to run local and interfering further with (R) service. It's not like before where it interferes only once when it runs local on Broadway, but express on 4th Av, it has to cut it off twice. I'm assuming when you say "cheaper" you mean less (R) service to deal with? I could be wrong but that doesn't make it any cheaper and just useless. The only bright side to come from this is the (D) trains don't have to deal with the (N) only deals with the (A), but that's pretty much it. 

Well, they could run less trains since there’s less mileage of track to run on and less run time.

3 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Well, they could run less trains since there’s less mileage of track to run on and less run time.

True, but how much does it save? Even with the less mileage, there's still that whole interfering with other lines stuff happening along with the wear and tear on the switches.

Sad to see the R42's go... They were my favorite SMEE.

On 3/4/2021 at 4:01 PM, R10 2952 said:

I agree with you, because back when the (9) ran, some stations the (1) served, and some the (9) served. It was confusing for me, and some riders.

Some of you might disagree, but maybe there could be a Second Avenue shuttle.

Edited by Storm

18 minutes ago, Storm said:

I agree with you, because back when the (9) ran, some stations the (1) served, and some the (9) served. It was confusing for me, and some riders.

That's an issue with general skip-stop service.

For what it's worth, calling a distinct designation is actually less confusing than relying strictly on a visual difference in a skip-stop setup, especially for those with low vision.

(To the mods: I tried to edit my previous post to add a response to this part after one formed in my head, only to be forced into a separate post.)

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I know the (E) and (F) have been essentially flipping routes in Manhattan the past few weekends, which is very confusing. Whats the reason for it? 

(F) trains couldn't operate through Rutgers Tunnel. It was easier to swap them entirely because at least the stations south of West 4 St along the (F) would've been missed. Although, personally I would've just extended the (E) and cut the (F) since it was basically the (E) extended, just signed up as an (F). Sure it would've confused riders in Brooklyn, but at least people in Manhattan wouldn't have any issues. Then again that's just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Storm said:

Some of you might disagree, but maybe there could be a Second Avenue shuttle.

Quite the leap to go from skip-stop service confusion to shuttling 2nd av service....

12 hours ago, Calvin said:

Did the MTA eliminated the redbirds that used to be in refuse service? I've seen a rail adhesion train image and recent trash trains that'll have an R42 paired with a adhesion car with an R32 while the numbered section has 1 R127 or another with R134 front to back

Word on the street is that the Redbirds are going in the latest scrap contract as well. The R42's and maybe a few R32's will be put on B division garbage duty and the R127/134 will be shifted to IRT garbage duty. 

15 hours ago, Calvin said:

The R42's replaced the remaining R33WF cars that were used in the B division. As well as more R32's were added to the work fleet to push out the R127/134's to the IRT to bump out their Redbirds. The Only Redbirds that are still going to be in work service is the R33WF's that are used for the Dyre ave Rail adhesion Train and probably the signal dolly cars.

16 hours ago, Vulturious said:

(F) trains couldn't operate through Rutgers Tunnel. It was easier to swap them entirely because at least the stations south of West 4 St along the (F) would've been missed. Although, personally I would've just extended the (E) and cut the (F) since it was basically the (E) extended, just signed up as an (F). Sure it would've confused riders in Brooklyn, but at least people in Manhattan wouldn't have any issues. Then again that's just my opinion.

I see why you would have wanted an "extended (E) " train (operated with (F) crews) and the opposite for the "truncated (F) " operated with (E) crews, similar to how the (2) and (5) flipped during the Clark St Tunnel Closure. However, sometimes, there are GO's that require a suspension of (F) trains along the Gowanus Stretch and Culver, which would have messed up servicing the shuttle portions of the routes. Meaning, do we call these shuttles (E) or (F) because the (E) is extended and the (F) is curtailed. 

On 3/4/2021 at 1:45 PM, Vulturious said:

It's about 10 minutes slower to go via tunnel from Canal to Dekalb. That's a 20 minutes of additional train cycle time, which means you need as many as two additional equipment sets (and crews) to run service, assuming 10 min headways. That's real $$$, to say nothing of real time losses for riders. The added merges are annoying and certainly do contribute to this system's chronic weekend reliability issues, but I think they made the right choice. 

20 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Not necessarily. You could have run the plan they have now ((E) to Delancey, (F) to Brooklyn via Cranberry) with the swap taking place at West 4 rather than at 36 St. Two issues, though: 

- A W4 swap would have created a relatively complex junction operation there. On 8th local, you'd have (F)s, (E)s and (C)s all trading places. At 5tph apiece, it's certainly possible to schedule this to work, but weekend junction ops need to be basically bulletproof given the generally variable operating environment + NYCT's reluctance to trust operators to punch correctly when operating GO routes. This latter problem is, in fact, one which disadvantages this service plan above and beyond the potential for delay: GOs which require diverges northbound at W4 generally are staffed with a 'spotter' whose job it is to confirm train identities to Tw/Os who then issue routes. 

- 8th Avenue CBTC is already creating a number of GOs, which would further complicate the W4 operation. On weekends where (A)s are local, you'd be dealing with an additional 6tph through the merge at W4. On weekends when the local is out of service, you'd have to compose some alternate service plan, as neither A3 nor A4 track has direct access to 6th Avenue at W4. So to make the service plan more resilient to GOs, it's better to swap at 36.

Edited by RR503

23 hours ago, Lex said:

Okay, you really need to explain this one.

Ok, so:

1. The shuttle would run from 96th-57th/7th. The reason why I am mentioning this is because sometimes the (Q) runs in two sections and SAS service runs every 20 mins.

2. This shuttle is only going to run on weekends.

Also, why does the (N) sometimes run up 2nd ave? Is it for additional service? Or is it because of a switch problem? Fill me in.

If it is for additional service, then that is proving my idea about a shuttle.

Edited by Storm

1 minute ago, Storm said:

Ok, so:

1. The shuttle would run from 96th-57th/7th. The reason why I am mentioning this is because sometimes the (Q) runs in two sections and SAS service runs every 20 mins.

2. This shuttle is only going to run on weekends.

Also, why does the (N) sometimes run up 2nd ave? Is it for additional service?

If it is, then that is proving my idea about a shuttle.

You're forgetting that the (Q) has to deal with the (B) and (N). The (B) between Prospect Park and Dekalb Av because they both run on the same tracks, the (N) from Dekalb Av to 34 St-Herald Square. The (N) switches local north of that station and every other time such as late nights and weekends, it switches local north of Canal St. The (Q) dealing with both those lines ends up decreasing service frequency along the line entirely which leads to the (N) being send up along SAS.

Because the (N) is interfering with the (Q) and not being enough of it, it ends up getting rerouted, plus it's not the only line that gets rerouted. You have the (R) and (W) as well because 3 lines running along 60 St tunnel and the whole switch issue at Queensboro and other issues I can't think off the top of my head.

Having SAS run as a shuttle wouldn't exactly make it better because then you'd still have the (Q) trying to terminate at 57 St-7 Av with the shuttle as well. That would mean less (Q) trains to terminate. You would still have the (N) to deal with because it's switching local between 34 St-Herald Square and Times Square-42 St.

42 minutes ago, Storm said:

Also, why does the (N) sometimes run up 2nd ave? Is it for additional service? Or is it because of a switch problem? Fill me in.

If it is for additional service, then that is proving my idea about a shuttle.

In simplicity, some (N) runs via Second Av during the rush hour b.c Astoria terminal cannot handle all the (N) and (W) trains during the peak. So, some trains run over Second Av avoiding heavy traffic on Astoria. 

Similar to how some (5) trains run to/from Utica Av between 6:56AM-8:43 AM and 3:30-6:10 PM that Flatbush terminal cannot handle all the (2) and (5) trains all at once. 

Edited by Calvin