SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I wonder if it has something to do with record-keeping or union issues, i.e. if a crew is being paid to operate a specific line/train, even with significant reroutes, they are supposed to keep it signed up that way so the on-time data, etc gets recorded a certain way, and the crew gets paid for operating the line they are signed up for. I could be totally off-base, but you are totally right that it is really confusing to customers, which makes me think there is some other reason for it   

Well it's a public sector outfit, so you're probably on the right track in terms of the reasoning.  That said, it just goes to show how byzantine and counterproductive most of the agency's on-the-job policies are; no amount of benefits or pension payouts would be enough to convince me trade my current choices for dealing with the pricks in MTA's HR, the RCC, or 97% of the TSSes.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Q44 SBS said:

This person started a petition to cancel the R211 because the open gangway makes it easier for criminals or terrorists to murder passengers throughout the train. 🤣

"To also save the older fleet from scrapping or reefing" This is the real reason why this petition was made. A railfan who doesn't want to see the old cars retired.

37 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

"To also save the older fleet from scrapping or reefing" This is the real reason why this petition was made. A railfan who doesn't want to see the old cars retired.

People actually signed this shit.

I'm so f*cking done.

2 hours ago, Q44 SBS said:

This person started a petition to cancel the R211 because the open gangway makes it easier for criminals or terrorists to murder passengers throughout the train. 🤣

LMAO! What’s up with this guy? And the 18 people who already signed it? Terrorists? Please! I mean, he did address his petition to Donald J. Trump, so there’s that. 

I mean, I have no problem saving a few of the R46s for museums. I do like them, especially with the blue stripes they had pre-GOH. They bore such a strong resemblance to the Metropolitan cars that ran on LIRR and Metro North, making them look and feel like a cross between a commuter train and a traditional subway train. But they weren’t designed to stay in revenue service for 50-plus years and they are rapidly approaching the 50-year mark in service. And they’re not doing well, especially given that the former Jamaica units now have to work the full time (N) and (Q) lines out of Coney Island Yard. It’s time. 

Ain’t it funny how a year ago, there were people complaining when the R46s moved to the (N)(Q) and (W)?

I know the R46s are moved to Coney Island for the (N)(W) and (Q) b.c of the R160s being retrofitted for CBTC on Queens Blvd. The (R) is affected, just by using the R160s instead of the R46s.

My question to this is: How are they performed on the (F) during the rush hours? 

When the swap came in effect, the (F) was the first line at Jamaica Yard to not use the R46s again. 

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, Q44 SBS said:

This person started a petition to cancel the R211 because the open gangway makes it easier for criminals or terrorists to murder passengers throughout the train.

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

5 hours ago, Lex said:

I'm so f*cking done.

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

LMAO! What’s up with this guy? And the 18 people who already signed it? Terrorists? Please! I mean, he did address his petition to Donald J. Trump, so there’s that. 

Yeah, I don't get how anybody could take this seriously.  That petition is just a bunch of foamers trolling and nothing else.

7 hours ago, Q44 SBS said:

3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

6 hours ago, Lex said:

I'm so f*cking done.

59 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Yeah, I don't get how anybody could take this seriously.  That petition is just a bunch of foamers trolling and nothing else.

I saw this too, and it is ridiculous. Should this be considered the tip of the iceberg in MTA foamer problems, because I also found this from a few years ago: https://www.change.org/p/mta-help-bring-back-the-mta-v-train?

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

I know the R46s are moved to Coney Island for the (N)(W) and (Q) b.c of the R160s being retrofitted for CBTC on Queens Blvd. The (R) is affected, just by using the R160s instead of the R46s.

My question to this is: How are they performed on the (F) during the rush hours? 

When the swap came in effect, the (F) was the first line at Jamaica Yard to not use the R46s again. 

The (E) had become fully R160 in June 2009, and the last R46 (F) ran I think in March (close to the end of the swap). It was much easier scheduling the R46s on the Kings Highway (F) runs because there were so many during the AM rush hours, than the mere two 59 St (R) train runs, which is why 490 R160s were able to be swapped for 396 R46s in such a short time. The swap happened during rush hours starting in January (from December to January, the swap I think was only overnight or weekends) and allowed 3-4 trains to be switched per day instead of 2 trains per week.

4 minutes ago, NBTA said:

So 7021-7030 (I believe), which is currently on the 2, has the circle/diamond and “new” side sign just like 7501-7510 on the 7. 

That almost sounds like they'd eventually be used for (6) service once the R262s start rolling in.

15 minutes ago, Lex said:
21 minutes ago, NBTA said:

So 7021-7030 (I believe), which is currently on the 2, has the circle/diamond and “new” side sign just like 7501-7510 on the 7. 

That almost sounds like they'd eventually be used for (6) service once the R262s start rolling in.

Yep, car 7021 has it, but it is the only car that has it so far. Found them on DJ Hammer's Discord server.
image0.jpg?width=901&height=676image0.jpg?width=901&height=676

It probably is going to be used for (6) service once the R262's start rolling in which makes a lot of sense. If that is the case, I speculate that the (2)(4), and (5) might be the ones receiving them while the (1)(3), and (6) get the R142/A's.

Lol I think the person that made this position doesn't know:

1. Kawasaki has already started making the R211's and if they scrap everything, that would be a few month's work down the drain

2. It would take an additional few years to design the new cars, which will push back the R211 and the r262 order back a few years. 

3. The R46's are suffering enough. The ones in coney Island are about to die. My prediction is those things will last until 2025.

4. Which brings me to my next question:

I personally think that the base should go to C.I because those ones are being overworked. I understand that they're meant for 8th Ave, but the C.I lines are gonna be in serious car debt soon.

2 hours ago, Storm said:

Lol I think the person that made this position doesn't know:

1. Kawasaki has already started making the R211's and if they scrap everything, that would be a few month's work down the drain

2. It would take an additional few years to design the new cars, which will push back the R211 and the r262 order back a few years. 

3. The R46's are suffering enough. The ones in coney Island are about to die. My prediction is those things will last until 2025.

4. Which brings me to my next question:

I personally think that the base should go to C.I because those ones are being overworked. I understand that they're meant for 8th Ave, but the C.I lines are gonna be in serious car debt soon.

What this person REALLY doesn’t know is the (MTA) spent a lot of money on new cars and they aren’t going to “scrap them” just because someone railfan made some petition. Also, open-gangway is a standard design around the world, and has proven very successful.

Edited by SimplyMyself

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Yep, car 7021 has it, but it is the only car that has it so far. Found them on DJ Hammer's Discord server.

<removed images to save space>

It probably is going to be used for (6) service once the R262's start rolling in which makes a lot of sense. If that is the case, I speculate that the (2)(4), and (5) might be the ones receiving them while the (1)(3), and (6) get the R142/A's.

I wonder if they could make the circle use tricolor leds (like the interior displays) so that they could have the circle color match with the actual color of the route the train is on; sort of like the signs on the inside of the trains

I know the diamond on those signs is red but considering that those routes don't have any routes that are signed as diamonds I don't really think it would cause any problems

(if they could replace the signs on the front of those R142s as well and make them multicolor that would be nice but there's no way they will do that)

Edited by footechicken

SMH....

Excuse my rant, but cheesy looking. There's no need for that LED green circle if its running on the (2) IMO. Can't they be more creative than that and the fact that it's only on 1 car. I'm sorry but if this is where my tax dollars are going towards then I don't see ANY improvement. Just my two cents

Edited by jon2305

1 hour ago, jon2305 said:

SMH....

Excuse my rant, but cheesy looking. There's no need for that LED green circle if its running on the (2) IMO. Can't they be more creative than that and the fact that it's only on 1 car. I'm sorry but if this is where my tax dollars are going towards then I don't see ANY improvement. Just my two cents

Yeah I have to agree with that bit, they could've done more and had similar side LED displays like the R211's have right now or at the very least kept the circle to the respective colors. Pretty sure by now everyone knows what circle and diamonds represent, circle being local and diamond being express. It's been a thing for the past few years or so and I don't see anymore diamonds to represent Rush Hour service anymore so yeah.

37 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

They have similar looking signs on the (7)‘s R188s. But only a few, so they didn’t get very far. It’s kind of foolish to only do it on a few cars. Maybe the signs on #7021 will spread to other R142s, I don’t really know. It would be silly to only do it on that one car.

Well because it is silly, they only did one car for some reason. They really love to spend their time wasting it and not getting their stuff together and spend on something that is useful, but then again it is the (MTA).

The R46s that are on the (N)(Q) and (W) lines, so far: C.I have been getting them washed top, side and bottom like on a weekly basics. Outside looks almost brand new. 

On the other hand, the Jamaica R160s in observation have a lot of steel dust on some cars, not all though. 

Edited by Calvin

4 hours ago, jon2305 said:

SMH....

It's literally just an extra SDU from the R188s calm down...

I do agree that it is counterproductive to use them on the (2)(5)... should have swapped out the circle/diamond module for a full color bullet.

Just now, Around the Horn said:

It's literally just an extra SDU from the R188s calm down...

I do agree that it is counterproductive to use them on the (2)(5)... should have swapped out the circle/diamond module for a full color bullet.

Sure, if we assume that they'll stay on WPR after the R262s come in.

Regardless, I do agree that we'd be better off with the bullets.

On 3/14/2021 at 7:08 PM, Calvin said:

if you think about it, the (E) was actually the first, because of the R160s coming in, not being swapped in.