SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

They ran R32s and R38s on the (C) for many years in 4/4 configuration, including on Concourse, as they have door controls in the motorman’s cabs. Unless I’m mistaken, I’m pretty sure there were C/R boards in stations long before 1998, when the (C) was rerouted off Concourse. Judging by the typeface, that 8-car marker at Kingsbridge looks like it could have been there well before the (C) was rerouted off Concourse. They managed it back then. What did they do, take the 4/4 zebra boards away some time after 1998?

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

They ran R32s and R38s on the (C) for many years in 4/4 configuration, including on Concourse, as they have door controls in the motorman’s cabs. Unless I’m mistaken, I’m pretty sure there were C/R boards in stations long before 1998, when the (C) was rerouted off Concourse. Judging by the typeface, that 8-car marker at Kingsbridge looks like it could have been there well before the (C) was rerouted off Concourse. They managed it back then.

they moved the car markers up, that's the issue. 10 years ago i rode a re routed (C) up concourse and there weren't any issues, so the car marker move must have been recent.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:30 PM, R32 3838 said:

they moved the car markers up, that's the issue. 10 years ago i rode a re routed (C) up concourse and there weren't any issues, so the car marker move must have been recent.

10 years ago the 8 car marker was in that very spot and this rerouted (C) train made the Kingsbridge stop with no issues.

Today on the (L) train some crazy guy opened all the windows in the car rambling something about air circulation. I HATE when riders on the subway open the windows in a car, cause of the loud noise of the train traveling though the tunnel. Other riders in the car were also annoyed about this and two other riders closed the windows soon after he opened them.

Besides those little windows don't circulate nothing, their so small, opening them just annoys your fellow riders. It's funny as I transfered at Broadway Junction to the (J) and the R160 car I got the HAVC was broke and there was no type of breeze inside the car whatsoever with all those little windows open.. 

16 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Today on the (L) train some crazy guy opened all the windows in the car rambling something about air circulation. I HATE when riders on the subway open the windows in a car, cause of the loud noise of the train traveling though the tunnel. Other riders in the car were also annoyed about this and two other riders closed the windows soon after he opened them.

Besides those little windows don't circulate nothing, their so small, opening them just annoys your fellow riders. It's funny as I transfered at Broadway Junction to the (J) and the R160 car I got the HAVC was broke and there was no type of breeze inside the car whatsoever with all those little windows open.. 

Eh, during covid times they sure as hell should have the windows open. I know they're loud but it's worth it.

17 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

They're "little" to keep the idiots from doing stupid things, like sticking their hands out of the window, or anything else, and you most definitely can get a breeze from them. I've been on trains with them open. Just depends on where you're at and how many are open. If you're standing on the train next to one, you can usually get a breeze.

Subway folks are a weird bunch. They will pack on a subway on a hot @ss train with big coats on as if everything is normal. Another reason I hate taking the subway. I also agree that there is poor circulation. On some of the newer trains, unless you are standing in the middle of the car, you aren't going to feel any sort of air coming out of the vents.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

15 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

A passenger on board my R46 (C) at 145th St Upper Level just screamed "ITS A F****** (D) TRAIN JUST GET ON" cause people kept holding the doors open tryna figure out if it was a (C) or a (D). 🤣

Sounds like a railfan to me......

Random but yesterday at 135th on the (B)(C) I was about to get on board on a R179 on the (C) and it casually went out of service due to "malfunctions" and I was confused as to where the problem was but we all got off and waited for the following (B) train afterwards.. the irony when I got on the (A) express and met up with the NIS R179 at 14th Street.

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

A passenger on board my R46 (C) at 145th St Upper Level just screamed "ITS A F****** (D) TRAIN JUST GET ON" cause people kept holding the doors open tryna figure out if it was a (C) or a (D). 🤣

MTA vibes y'know people don't understand reroutes.

11 hours ago, Emil said:

Random but yesterday at 135th on the (B)(C) I was about to get on board on a R179 on the (C) and it casually went out of service due to "malfunctions" and I was confused as to where the problem was but we all got off and waited for the following (B) train afterwards.. the irony when I got on the (A) express and met up with the NIS R179 at 14th Street.

The car didn't happen to be a 31xx unit did it?

There were a lot of R179 (C) trains out today, more than there should have tbh. After I saw one set, then I started seeing them like wildfire. A lot of those late evening trips up to Norwood ended up being R179s, and they were crowded alright. I guess they fixed the issues surrounding the 8-car setup, but they should have kept it to R46s and R68s like last week. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

2 minutes ago, Emil said:

Yes it was! I believe it was heading to ENY (most likely bc it's the closest Yard to fix R179s than Pitkin) after it went NIS.

It probably went to the spur track between Canal and Chambers street, changed ends and went to 207th street to get repaired.

BTW, I was on that same (A) train you was on. It ran along side that NIS R179 between 34th and West 4th street. That 179 going OOS left an HUGE gap in (C) service, they had to sent an (A) local along the Fulton street corridor.

33 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

It probably went to the spur track between Canal and Chambers street, changed ends and went to 207th street to get repaired.

BTW, I was on that same (A) train you was on. It ran along side that NIS R179 between 34th and West 4th street. That 179 going OOS left an HUGE gap in (C) service, they had to sent an (A) local along the Fulton street corridor.

ooh okay yea going to 207 makes more sense, and yea the (C) did leave a huge gap after that disruption.

Couple things: This week, the (C) train is 1/3 of each in equiptment (R46, R68 and R179). Also, a new conductor board is placed at Kingsbridge RD displaying a "8" left to right. 

I also noticed that Fordham Rd, there's a wall on the Manhattan bound platform that blocks out connecting to the (B) to the (D) or the other way around during the AM rush hour. The platform is really wide, different to the 205 St side. 

26 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Couple things: This week, the (C) train is 1/3 of each in equipment (R46, R68 and R179). Also, a new conductor board is placed at Kingsbridge RD displaying a "8" left to right. 

I also noticed that Fordham Rd, there's a wall on the Manhattan bound platform that blocks out connecting to the (B) to the (D) or the other way around during the AM rush hour. The platform is really wide, different to the 205 St side. 

Any pictures to that effect?