Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic


Recommended Posts

 

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

from 1991-2001 the assignments were mainly

(E) R32, R46 occasional

(F) R46

(G) R32,R46

(R) R46, R32 occasional

 

2001-2008

(E) R32

(F) R32,R46

(R)  a few R32 rush hour put ins, R46

(V) R46

August 2008- July 2009

(E) R32,R40M,R42,R160

(F) R32,R40M,R42,R46,R160

(R) R32,R40M,R42,R46 * 60 foot smee's (rush hour put ins)

(V) R46

 

July 2009-December2009

(E) R160

(F) R46,R160

(R) R32,R40M,R42,R46

(V) R32,R40M,R42

 

December 2009-May 2010

(E) R160

(F) R46,R160

(R) R46

(V) R32,R46

 

June 2010-2020

(E) R160

(F) R160, *R46 (the (F) was all r160 until 2012 when the R46 started popping back up as put ins)

(R) R46

 

present day (E)(F)(R) all R160.

 

the reason why they made the (V) 100% R46's was due to them wanting to attract riders which didn't work. originally the (V) was going to have R32's on it until they decided on the R46's plus the (R) / (V) shared equipment so it made it easier to swap vs. an R32 where they would have to change all the rollsigns.

 

 

 

The (R) and the (V) has R160's during its last few months.  

The R32s I remember were instead assigned to the (F) 

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

What line is fully OPTO other then the Shuttles?

If I am not mistaken

On weekends

(G) 

(M) Shuttle

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 26.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

 

The (R) and the (V) has R160's during its last few months.  

The R32s I remember were instead assigned to the (F) 

If I am not mistaken

On weekends

(G) 

(M) Shuttle

 

 

the (R) and (V) only used about 2 R160's each, it wasn't much plus they weren't assigned to those lines, the (R) started using more R160's as put ins after the June cuts. the R160's on the (R) were like when the R32's were on the (R) until the 2016 or 17 when on weekends they started using the R160's on the (R) more often ( (E)(F) yard lay ups ).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R32 in storage at Canarsie Yard HVAC is still on even though it's been sitting there for months. Heard it humming this evening.

it's for the crews, that's why it's on. it's a makeshift crew room for social distancing since the crew room at rockaway parkway is small.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

it's for the crews, that's why it's on. it's a makeshift crew room for social distancing since the crew room at rockaway parkway is small.

That would make sense.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The MTA is slowly putting cameras on subway stations. Some platforms may have one but adding more while others will be added from left to right. Quote that all cameras in each subway station will be installed by 2022. 

Edited by Calvin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

The MTA is slowly putting cameras on subway stations. Some platforms may have one but adding more while others will be added from left to right. Quote that all cameras in each subway station will be installed by 2022. 

And all the lenses will be spray painted over within 1 hour of installation

  • LMAO! 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the recent back and forth R46 issues discussion on other threads, I must ask what is the official word on the condition of the R46 cars? At this point different sources seem to have somewhat opposing information in terms of breakdown rates, structural issues and other overall issues. It's obvious they've served their time and are aging although I am curious to know if some sets or cars do actually have severe issues or if there really is a breakdown rate that is afflicting service daily (there was a mention of dropped runs however a lack of available operators sometimes is the reasoning). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

With the recent back and forth R46 issues discussion on other threads, I must ask what is the official word on the condition of the R46 cars? At this point different sources seem to have somewhat opposing information in terms of breakdown rates, structural issues and other overall issues. It's obvious they've served their time and are aging although I am curious to know if some sets or cars do actually have severe issues or if there really is a breakdown rate that is afflicting service daily (there was a mention of dropped runs however a lack of available operators sometimes is the reasoning). 

 

Pitkin ones are decent eventhough they have a very low spare factor of R46's due to the loss of r32's, the CI ones are outright garbage due to the fact that they run on the (G)(N)(Q) 24/7.

 

the whole r46 fleet is being used alot more than before and the loss of 110 R32's makes it even worse. They are probably going to stick with the pre pandemic plan and just run the (C) with 1-2 less sets (a service cut) with no R32's running at all and reduce spare factor ( A big mistake, Queens CBTC says hello)

 

with them now being at CI, They won't be as reliable as they used to be. More of them running = more breakdowns plus age. every other day there's a (Q) train taken OOS due to issues.

Edited by R32 3838
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hey, there. I really hope that you’re safe, sound, healthy and doing well. 👍🏻😊☺️ Btw, I have a question. Since the Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC) system is activated on the Independent Subway Train System (IND) Queens Boulevard Line, which is on the (E), (F), <F>(M) and (R) Lines, are the trains still being operated with the dead-man’s switch or does the train operator have to press a button in order for the trains to run automatically, just like how the (7), <7> and the (L) Train does?  

Edited by ejmanalo6168
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

R142s are gonna be running on the (1) line tomorrow due to a heatwave since making the R62A's act up on them. (Someone said this on a server on discord) It also concludes that what if Jerome gives loans to the (6) since it runs R62A's, It hasn't been proven today but I'ma see In Brooklyn Bridge Tomorrow to stall there to see there's R142/A loans on jerome to run on the 6 I'll inform y'all soon. And if you spot R142/A's on the 6 either at Lexington or Pelham tmr. Good for you.

There's stored cars on the 1 line at 103rd to 125th, The length can be either 6-8 R142 Cars on the express tracks. If you're near you might spot them if they're not there they've went to the yard. 

Here's the photo if you don't believe me of the R142s on the (1) exp tracks starting to do service tomorrow. Credit to the person who made this photo, And have a great weekend taking your pictures and making content over them!!!

  • 20210604_141523.png
Edited by Jacob
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

^^^ Wow I suggested that years ago! If the B div does summer swaps with the R32s, why not in the IRT?

Maybe because there is so many R62s and R62As so it would be difficult 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2021 at 8:42 AM, ejmanalo6168 said:

Hey, there. I really hope that you’re safe, sound, healthy and doing well. 👍🏻😊☺️ Btw, I have a question. Since the Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC) system is activated on the Independent Subway Train System (IND) Queens Boulevard Line, which is on the (E), (F), <F>(M) and (R) Lines, are the trains still being operated with the dead-man’s switch or does the train operator have to press a button in order for the trains to run automatically, just like how the (7), <7> and the (L) Train does?  

It varies depending on the sections that are activated (at least this is what I believe is happening right now):

Quote

So CBTC might be in effect from Kew Gardens** to 50th street and 8th ave on the E...

Kew Gardens** to Roosevelt Island on the F...

Continental* to 5th ave on the M..

Continental* to Queens Plaza on the R..

*Continental is the original name for 71 Avenue, but the stop itself is often known as 71 - Continental Avenues - Forest Hills.

**Kew Gardens stands for Union Turnpike, though the stop itself is known as Union Turnpike - Kew Gardens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sooo did any R142s run on the (1) or (6) today? I rode the (1) and didn't see any R142s on the line, only the 62As.

 

 

I think that pic of the 142 layed up at 103rd is an old pic from the (2) terminates at 96th G.O and we got trolled......

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Sooo did any R142s run on the (1) or (6) today? I rode the (1) and didn't see any R142s on the line, only the 62As.

 

 

I think that pic of the 142 layed up at 103rd is an old pic from the (2) terminates at 96th G.O and we got trolled......

That R142 was there yesterday. I can attest to that, but no idea why.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Sooo did any R142s run on the (1) or (6) today? I rode the (1) and didn't see any R142s on the line, only the 62As.

 

 

I think that pic of the 142 layed up at 103rd is an old pic from the (2) terminates at 96th G.O and we got trolled......

That R142 was there cause it had an issue. IIRC, there was a signal problem at 96th St and I guess they layed it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2021 at 10:23 PM, R32 3838 said:

from 1991-2001 the assignments were mainly

(E) R32, R46 occasional

(F) R46

(G) R32,R46

(R) R46, R32 occasional

 

2001-2008

(E) R32

(F) R32,R46

(R)  a few R32 rush hour put ins, R46

(V) R46

August 2008- July 2009

(E) R32,R40M,R42,R160

(F) R32,R40M,R42,R46,R160

(R) R32,R40M,R42,R46 * 60 foot smee's (rush hour put ins)

(V) R46

 

July 2009-December2009

(E) R160

(F) R46,R160

(R) R32,R40M,R42,R46

(V) R32,R40M,R42

 

December 2009-May 2010

(E) R160

(F) R46,R160

(R) R46

(V) R32,R46

 

June 2010-2020

(E) R160

(F) R160, *R46 (the (F) was all r160 until 2012 when the R46 started popping back up as put ins)

(R) R46

 

present day (E)(F)(R) all R160.

 

the reason why they made the (V) 100% R46's was due to them wanting to attract riders which didn't work. originally the (V) was going to have R32's on it until they decided on the R46's plus the (R) / (V) shared equipment so it made it easier to swap vs. an R32 where they would have to change all the rollsigns.

 

 

 

Very good observation and very well laid out. Your attention to passed ever changing car assignments are impressive! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VIP said:

Very good observation and very well laid out. Your attention to passed ever changing car assignments are impressive! 

 

 

Yeah I grew up on this line all my life so I have seen all the changes as i was growing up post 1994 when I was 4 years old. but looking at old assignments from documents pre 1994, it's accurate.

it was weird seeing the R42's and then R40M's go back to the Queens since the 1970's to retire there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2021 at 4:59 PM, Jacob said:

R142s are gonna be running on the (1) line tomorrow due to a heatwave since making the R62A's act up on them. (Someone said this on a server on discord) It also concludes that what if Jerome gives loans to the (6) since it runs R62A'sIt hasn't been proven today but I'ma see In Brooklyn Bridge Tomorrow to stall there to see there's R142/A loans on jerome to run on the 6 I'll inform y'all soon. And if you spot R142/A's on the 6 either at Lexington or Pelham tmr. Good for you.

There's stored cars on the 1 line at 103rd to 125th, The length can be either 6-8 R142 Cars on the express tracks. If you're near you might spot them if they're not there they've went to the yard. 

Here's the photo if you don't believe me of the R142s on the (1) exp tracks starting to do service tomorrow. Credit to the person who made this photo, And have a great weekend taking your pictures and making content over them!!!

  • 20210604_141523.png

Discord isn't a good source to get information from, even if that "server" you're in doesn't have members or isn't owned by anyone who has actual info/work in the TA....

PSA: This did not happen, all trains were 62As today.

Edited by DaPr03
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, DaPr03 said:

Discord isn't a good source to get information from, even if that "server" you're in isn't owned or doesn't have members who has actual info/work in the TA....

Lay up (2) train thru a delay on 96th of some sorts, Guess I've gotten trolled here lmao.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shiznit1987 said:

Do you think once the CBTC work is done on Queens Blvd the MTA will consider adding a second weekend local like the (M) or even (G) 

Probably not, They'll just stick to the (R) as being local on QBL once CBTC is activated. But I wish if that could happen. If (G) trains went back to QBL as additional service at weekends they'll just be a foamfest over QBL

"G TRAINS BACK IN QBL (RARE) (GONE WRONG) (GONE SEXUAL) (WOKE!!!)"

Edited by Jacob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

Do you think once the CBTC work is done on Queens Blvd the MTA will consider adding a second weekend local like the (M) or even (G) 

No. Even after the Queens Blvd West CBTC project wraps up, the current 2020-2024 capital program calls for CBTC installation on the Crosstown and 63rd St lines (as well as Astoria/60th St and the Queens Blvd Line from Kew Gardens to 179th St and Archer Ave). And we will presumably see funding for CBTC on the 6th Avenue and Broadway mainlines in a future capital program(s).  Which makes the idea of major expansions in B-Division weekend service likely DOA for a decade or two. Even after those CBTC projects are done, the MTA can play the "we're broke" and "we can't run extra service because of regular maintenance" cards. Might be the cynic in me but I'm a little skeptical that we'll ever even see the current garbage 12-minute weekend headways on half of the B-division reverted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.