SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/16/2021 at 1:54 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Wonder if there will be extra (7) service cause AEW is going to flushing for Wednesday night dynamite September 22 Mets are in Boston

It'll be rush hour on the way into Flushing, but maybe they'll run the <7> super-express trips on the way out. The LIRR would probably stop at Willets Point all night too.

I apologize in advance for this post, but doesn’t anyone find it strange that the “Delays due to only being able to run as much service as we can with the train crews we have available” have been for the most part isolated to the lines that run the older subway cars ( (N) and (W) especially), and essentially on a daily basis for the past month or so? 
I’m sorry but I’m not buying it. I’m sure it’s a mask to hide the fact that the subway cars are running poorly again, and this time, the (F)‘s spares are not available anymore to fill in. My commute time on the (N) in the mornings has been at the very least DOUBLED because of all the cancelled trips. And I’ve also seen prior posts about the longer wait times on the (B)

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I apologize in advance for this post, but doesn’t anyone find it strange that the “Delays due to only being able to run as much service as we can with the train crews we have available” have been for the most part isolated to the lines that run the older subway cars ( (N) and (W) especially), and essentially on a daily basis for the past month or so? 
I’m sorry but I’m not buying it. I’m sure it’s a mask to hide the fact that the subway cars are running poorly again, and this time, the (F)‘s spares are not available anymore to fill in. My commute time on the (N) in the mornings has been at the very least DOUBLED because of all the cancelled trips. And I’ve also seen prior posts about the longer wait times on the (B)

It's not a mask. They are still SIGNIFICANTLY short on workers.  I don't know how people are getting around in this forum, but I guess they are staying home or not impacted by the long waits, etc., but it's been in the media A LOT, and was discussed yet again yesterday.  For all of the (MTA) fans, this whole situation has been terribly handled.

A lack of subway operators or conductors forced the cancellation of 5,355 trains through the first 18 days of June — which is already more than four times the number of canceled services in June 2020.

More than 8,000 scheduled trips were nixed in May, the internal documents show, with June on pace to record more than 8,700 canceled trains.

In pre-pandemic times, just 500 or so of the MTA’s 200,000-plus monthly scheduled trips were canceled because of a lack of workers, sources said.

Compounding the problem, officials have now been forced to spread out the trains that do make it out of the terminal, sources said — which in turn increases wait times and crowding.

Source: https://nypost.com/2021/06/20/subway-worker-shortage-threatens-nycs-office-reopenings/

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

No; it's to detract from the fact that a boatload of us retired last year, many of whom were freaked out by covid. That, ⁷plus they iced out hiring last year. So they wanna blame us rather than their own screwups.

And a lot of us are restricted medically for silly reasons. It can be Hella challenging to come back from restriction bc this company is full of nonsense.

I work the W frequently  and while the MBDF for the 46s may not always be the best, I don't often hear on the radio about trains going oos bc of mechanical issues. Now granted, that could be a different story  on the B or D but I also work the latter on a semi-regular basis and hear similar. 

Edited by MarkGuy

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

You sir are a certified clown, the shortages are all over the system. Not just the (N)(W). I'm not the biggest fan of CI's r46's but this is a very dumb take. 

5 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I guess that means the (2) and (5) use R46s, then. They had the same alert for the pair within the past few days, to say nothing of the past few months.

Edited by Lex

I don’t really have much complaints about the subway other than the filth & the homelessness issue, but the worker shortage issue is definitely an annoying one for both subway and bus travel.

About a month ago, I waited 27 minutes for a Forest Hills bound (R) train to show up at Woodhaven Blvd on a Sunday at around 4:30pm. On the MTA’s website there was no indication of any type of service delay. I ended up just going back upstairs and took the Q60 instead. 

This past Saturday, there was a gap in service for (1)(2)(3) trains at around 9:30pm.  I was at 72nd street on the downtown platform and the (1) had a 19 minute gap in between train’s, the (3) had a 17 minute gap and the (2) had a 24 minute gap.

The (F) is better now that full service was restored but I remember a few times back in January & February  waiting about 20 mins for the (F) during the early afternoon time. Once again there was no indication that there was any type of delay or disruption. One particular time I did see a notice about them trying to run as many crew as possible.

I just hope that soon the MTA can hire new people to cover all the missing runs because it’s just going to piss off people therefore negatively affecting ridership when people try to find other ways of getting around.

40 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t really have much complaints about the subway other than the filth & the homelessness issue, but the worker shortage issue is definitely an annoying one for both subway and bus travel.

About a month ago, I waited 27 minutes for a Forest Hills bound (R) train to show up at Woodhaven Blvd on a Sunday at around 4:30pm. On the MTA’s website there was no indication of any type of service delay. I ended up just going back upstairs and took the Q60 instead. 

This past Saturday, there was a gap in service for (1)(2)(3) trains at around 9:30pm.  I was at 72nd street on the downtown platform and the (1) had a 19 minute gap in between train’s, the (3) had a 17 minute gap and the (2) had a 24 minute gap.

The (F) is better now that full service was restored but I remember a few times back in January & February  waiting about 20 mins for the (F) during the early afternoon time. Once again there was no indication that there was any type of delay or disruption. One particular time I did see a notice about them trying to run as many crew as possible.

I just hope that soon the MTA can hire new people to cover all the missing runs because it’s just going to piss off people therefore negatively affecting ridership when people try to find other ways of getting around.

Not going to. It already is... Been a mess for months now.

45 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The (MTA) bridges and tunnels are seeing more traffic now than even pre-COVID. I think people are already finding other ways of getting around.

There's been random service gaps all over the place, but nights and weekends are a whole other level of hell. This weekend, the (4) is scheduled to have 16 minute headways in the Bronx. Add a missing run to that equation and that's a 32-minute wait in a worse case scenario? F that, I got 2 express buses and 3 Metro-North lines within a 1-mile radius of me with the same level wait times but with a much better chance of getting a seat if I need to go into Manhattan. Less riff raff too.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I really hate taking the (R) on weekends. it makes me miss living in Jamaica More and more each day

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

The (MTA) bridges and tunnels are seeing more traffic now than even pre-COVID. I think people are already finding other ways of getting around.

There's been random service gaps all over the place, but nights and weekends are a whole other level of hell. This weekend, the (4) is scheduled to have 16 minute headways in the Bronx. Add a missing run to that equation and that's a 32-minute wait in a worse case scenario? F that, I got 2 express buses and 3 Metro-North lines within a 1-mile radius of me with the same level wait times but with a much better chance of getting a seat if I need to go into Manhattan. Less riff raff too.

You might as well take the (A)  There actually as a huge gap on the (4) with some trains skipping 170, Mt Eden and 174 Sts to end at Burnside. (Just shows  why a (4) express is such a bad idea.)

Edited by Theli11
Wording

Curious: would there be a benefit to scheduled short-turns in the rush hour on some trunk lines?

Examples:

(J)(Z) in the rush hour. Instead of skip stop service...the (J) would be all stops to Broadway Junction, express to Marcy Avenue (stopping at Myrtle-Broadway) in the peak direction. The (Z) would be Broadway Junction to Broad Street only, all stops. (There could also be two put-ins from 111 Street on the (J).

(1)(9) (resurrecting the (9) and an old service pattern...(1) local to 96th, express 96 to 157 (northbound) and 145 to 96 (southbound) (both peak direction), running the full distance, and the (9) running to and from Dyckman only.

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

(J)(Z) in the rush hour. Instead of skip stop service...the (J) would be all stops to Broadway Junction, express to Marcy Avenue (stopping at Myrtle-Broadway) in the peak direction. The (Z) would be Broadway Junction to Broad Street only, all stops. (There could also be two put-ins from 111 Street on the (J).

(1)(9) (resurrecting the (9) and an old service pattern...(1) local to 96th, express 96 to 157 (northbound) and 145 to 96 (southbound) (both peak direction), running the full distance, and the (9) running to and from Dyckman only.

You're still running half capacity on all of the (9)(Z) stations and every station past Dyckman/Junction on the (1)(J). It's the same issue. For Example, if a rider needed to get from Chauncey St to Norwood they'd have to take the (Z) to transfer at Broadway Junction [This applies to any local stop along the line]. On Broadway-7th Av if a rider needed to get to 116th St from 207th (or any stop north of Dyckman), They'd have to take the (1) to the (9).  It's the same issue but just looks different.