SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

4 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Any reason they just can't have peak hour (4) skip 138th on the local track, so the hold up wouldn't be as bad?

Uptown (under normal conditions) they need to stop to punch for their lineup anyway, so might as well open the door.

Downtown there's probably gonna be so much congestion that you might as well open the door while you're at that red signal anyway.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, VIP said:

Random thought: the R62a’s on the (1) are ABSOLUTELY FILTHY ! (on the exteriors). Bonnets are blackened and the pantograph gates don’t fall far behind. It’s very noticeable! 

And the R62s on the (3)...And several R142/A On the (4)...Like u said FILTHY...

14 hours ago, VIP said:

Random thought: the R62a’s on the (1) are ABSOLUTELY FILTHY ! (on the exteriors). Bonnets are blackened and the pantograph gates don’t fall far behind. It’s very noticeable! 

This has been the case for years; no car wash at 240th, and even with the wash at 207th, the organization is never in a rush to send them down.  Grimy cars on the (1) have been a problem since the Hi-V era, so no surprise there.

17 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

That's the (R) for you every single day...

If someone tells me they are waiting for the (R) I automatically assume they are going to be late

It would however save people who are at stations currently skipped by either (J) or (Z) time waiting for the train (every 10 minutes to every 8 minutes). Most ridership on the (J) / (Z) going to Lower Manhattan don't come from Jamaica, they come from Williamsburg.

People on the Jamaica Line east of Broadway Junction, usually gets off at Broadway Jct for the (A) or the (L) . 

Any reason they just can't have peak hour (4) skip 138th on the local track, so the hold up wouldn't be as bad?

Dude I ride the (J)(Z) all the time, You have a chunk of people who ride the (J)(Z) from Jamaica who ride the train straight to Canal, Chambers, Fulton and Broad St. It's funny how you guys talk about the (J)(Z) but don't use it daily. I rode the (J)(Z) my whole life for 27+ years and seen the ridership shifts in certain areas.

The Skip stop helps regardless if you get on the Train from Manhattan or Brooklyn.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Dude I ride the (J)(Z) all the time, You have a chunk of people who ride the (J)(Z) from Jamaica who ride the train straight to Canal, Chambers, Fulton and Broad St. It's funny how you guys talk about the (J)(Z) but don't use it daily. I rode the (J)(Z) my whole life for 27+ years and seen the ridership shifts in certain areas.

The Skip stop helps regardless if you get on the Train from Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Then why does skip-stop run for only one hour in the am rush and less than that in the pm rush? Why have they never expanded it any further in 30+ years? Would an express not be more popular? I suppose it wouldn’t be if it started at Broadway Junction. I’ve said it before that a third track that goes straight down Jamaica in Brooklyn would be a big improvement for that line. But the MTA doesn’t want to do it and its predecessor agencies never had the will to do it. 

Yeah, the main problem with the Jamaica Line has been that each successive owner (BMT, BOT, NYCTA, MTA) has kicked the can down the road instead of making the proposed improvements.  The s-curve at Crescent could've been eliminated and replaced with a 3-track el along Jamaica Avenue as early as the Dual Contracts.  But until something is changed, the current (J)/(Z) setup will have to suffice. 

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

The first 2 R211 subway cars are here in New York City. I wonder what's the status so far on the R46s running on the (N)(W) and (Q) lines. 

More than likely, we won't see the R211's in passenger service until the holiday season. The R46 cars are going nowhere until at least then.

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

More than likely, we won't see the R211's in passenger service until the holiday season. The R46 cars are going nowhere until at least then.

R211's won't see passenger service until late 2022 or early 2023. R46 retirement won't start until probably mid to late 2023

Today I rode on an R142 with an leaky A/C, it was pouring water. The guy who got water on his shirt smelled it, perhaps he thought someone was standing on the roof of the train peeing inside the car haha.

First time I ever been on an NTT with A/C water leaking inside the car.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:38 PM, R10 2952 said:

Yeah, the main problem with the Jamaica Line has been that each successive owner (BMT, BOT, NYCTA, MTA) has kicked the can down the road instead of making the proposed improvements.  The s-curve at Crescent could've been eliminated and replaced with a 3-track el along Jamaica Avenue as early as the Dual Contracts.  But until something is changed, the current (J)/(Z) setup will have to suffice. 

I suppose it will. But then, it should run for the entire duration of AM and PM rush hours at the very least.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Yes, the way they run the (Z) in the rush hours is definitely out of wack, especially in the mornings.  Just another exhibit of how the MTA is firmly committed to doing only the bare minimum.

Edited by R10 2952

Have to say, not to sound like VG8, but MAN is West 4th eight different kinds of f**ked up sideways. Every time I walk into that station now, any of hour of the day, ten different junkies sitting on the stairs, set up in tents by the stairs, waiting by the turnstiles. The PD came and cleared out the tent city before the Pride stuff just to make it look cleaner, but it's all back as it was. I couldn't even walk out today cause some dude had OD'd and/or died and was face down over all the steps from 6th Ave. We all just walked up, saw that, turned for the other stairwell, and went through the fifteen different junkies lining the stairs there. This is all always the north part of the station on 6th. The other side has never been as bad. 

15 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Have to say, not to sound like VG8, but MAN is West 4th eight different kinds of f**ked up sideways. Every time I walk into that station now, any of hour of the day, ten different junkies sitting on the stairs, set up in tents by the stairs, waiting by the turnstiles. The PD came and cleared out the tent city before the Pride stuff just to make it look cleaner, but it's all back as it was. I couldn't even walk out today cause some dude had OD'd and/or died and was face down over all the steps from 6th Ave. We all just walked up, saw that, turned for the other stairwell, and went through the fifteen different junkies lining the stairs there. This is all always the north part of the station on 6th. The other side has never been as bad. 

The whole Washington Square area got f**ked up big time after the pandemic... It's a real shame...

22 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Don’t worry brother it’s justified, West 4th & the Penn Station complex has to be the worst in my opinion when it comes to the homeless. I’ve seen plenty of people that have OD’d on whatever, faced down, half naked, etc. If you ever take the (1) to 34th street and get off towards the north end of the platform especially during the late evening hours there is usually a bunch of people camped out over there and there were a few times I thought was going to get robbed. As you walk past some of these folks they just grill you as if they are about to pop off on you. That’s why I much prefer to get on at Times Square or the 34th street stations of the Broadway/6th Ave line or the (7) line. 

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

The full length Rockaway shuttle begins this Saturday, the 3rd for the July 4 weekend. It’ll be continuing every weekend until Labor Day. 

Do the full length (S) trains get packed? I fanned out there back in 2019 and from what I saw they had more people on them than usual but it seemed like they could have stuck with 4 cars. Maybe it was just those days that I went. It does seem that more people prefer the Q53 over the (S) at 116th. 
I wonder if it would make sense to have all (A) trains run to the Rockaway's during the summer months alternating between 116th Street & or Mott Ave and have Lefferts Blvd branch be a shuttle that runs to Rockaway Blvd. Has the MTA ever tried that? 

37 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Do the full length (S) trains get packed? I fanned out there back in 2019 and from what I saw they had more people on them than usual but it seemed like they could have stuck with 4 cars. Maybe it was just those days that I went. It does seem that more people prefer the Q53 over the (S) at 116th. 

From two different weekends, one was the last Sunday of July before August and on Labor Day (2020). Yes, they get packed at Broad Channel and the JFK Airport going to Rockaway Park AM hours and around noon till 3. Evenings around 6-8 PM is the other way around but, platform mostly filled at Rockaway Blvd. 

When riding the Shuttle, the seats are mostly filled. Just not much standees on all 8-cars. 

Edited by Calvin

The W4 sign for the (V) has finally been covered up by a new sign for the (M). And the lower level's new enamel pillar signs are now all installed.

MTA left the homeless encampment in front of the station, but they did replace the sign lmao.

54 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

The W4 sign for the (V) has finally been covered up by a new sign for the (M). And the lower level's new enamel pillar signs are now all installed.

MTA left the homeless encampment in front of the station, but they did replace the sign lmao.

"(MTA) One step forward, two steps back!"

I got to ride an R68A (C) train today from Columbus Circle to Broadway Junction. Well it was an Yankee Special but it traveled over the (C) line. First time catching one that went down Fulton Street. It was clutch as (C) line service was delayed to the point that they sent the (C) behind us on the express track to Eucild.

The Subway Series (Yankees vs Mets) has (D) trains with their baseball specials running from the Bronx up to World Trade Center via the 8 Av line at West 4 St. The other part is downstairs to/from Stillwell Av. 

Meanwhile, there is a Kawasaki R142A and R142 7171 running back to back on the (6) line.