SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The one time I tried to fan a (D) Yankees special, it ended at Herald Square… I was so disappointed…

My (D) baseball special ended up going to Euclid today along with 4 other trains due to the weekend GO

Edited by DaPr03

14 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Yeah there is no (6) trains between 3rd Ave/138th street to Parkchester cutting off yard access. 
I always like to see R142’s/ R142A’s on the (6) 

For this GO, especially considering how much track sharing the (4)(5) and (6) did this weekend, I would have just suspended the (6) south of Parkchester and ran the (4) and (5) local (even though local service was only downtown from 125 St to Grand Central and uptown from Brooklyn Bridge to Grand Central). This way the (5) could keep its normal 12 minute headway (or maybe have it bumped up to every 8 minutes, which has been done before last time the (6) train was cut in Manhattan. The time increase is negligible because the merging and holding Grand Central to space trains out would be eliminated with the (6) not needing to merge with the express services

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

For this GO, especially considering how much track sharing the (4)(5) and (6) did this weekend, I would have just suspended the (6) south of Parkchester and ran the (4) and (5) local (even though local service was only downtown from 125 St to Grand Central and uptown from Brooklyn Bridge to Grand Central). This way the (5) could keep its normal 12 minute headway (or maybe have it bumped up to every 8 minutes, which has been done before last time the (6) train was cut in Manhattan. The time increase is negligible because the merging and holding Grand Central to space trains out would be eliminated with the (6) not needing to merge with the express services

The (5) would have to run to Brooklyn Bridge all night to replace the (6) in this case. If the Clark Street Tunnel was closed, they would be more likely to do this, though they have ran the (6) overnight to replace the (6) before.

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

39 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

The (5) would have to run to Brooklyn Bridge all night to replace the (6) in this case. If the Clark Street Tunnel was closed, they would be more likely to do this, though they have ran the (6) overnight to replace the (6) before.

I find the fact that they GO'd the hell out of the east side while leaving the west side without any GOs on a night where so many people need the (4)(5) and (6) to be really silly.

7 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I find the fact that they GO'd the hell out of the east side while leaving the west side without any GOs on a night where so many people need the (4)(5) and (6) to be really silly.

It has been years since I have taken the (4)(5)(6) on weekends and you are reminding me of why. I recall taking the train from Bowling Green to Astor Place or something, and we crawled and crawled and crawled. It was TERRIBLE. They were doing work then as well, and I think all service was local up to 42nd or something. Haven't they cancelled the (6) before when work was done? I recall one time the trains were PACKED on another weekend, so maybe that is why. If they stop running the (6) , they don't seem to add more service to the (4) or (5) , which is equally dumb. 

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I personally would have completely suspended the (5) and ran the (6) between Dyre Ave & Brooklyn Bridge running completely local. You kill two birds with one stone, but I know it would cause issues behind the scenes with scheduling and etc. 

The R62As units 1901-1905 were given a break for refuse service. As this summer, 1954 and 1957 are at Corona Yard. 1960 was spotted hooked on to refuse flatbeds at 239 St Yard. 

Edited by Calvin
1959 and 1958 alongside

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I personally would have completely suspended the (5) and ran the (6) between Dyre Ave & Brooklyn Bridge running completely local. You kill two birds with one stone, but I know it would cause issues behind the scenes with scheduling and etc. 

Then just call it the (5).

13 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

Not necessarily.  Back in the '80s, the (4) ran local by itself in late nights. 

17 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Not necessarily.  Back in the '80s, the (4) ran local by itself in late nights. 

That’s also when the (6) I believe terminated at 125th street late nights. Being that ridership was much lower than it is now, I can see how they were able to get away with that.

That’s also when the (6) I believe terminated at 125th street late nights. Being that ridership was much lower than it is now, I can see how they were able to get away with that.

Oh yes..Ridership on the late night back in the 80s was pendemic levels....You had to know what station and line to use...or it could be the last subway trip u made...Me being from Eny at that time made it a little easy to switch stations depending on where i was  going...

Maybe my experiences are different than some others but ridership on the (1)(2) and (4) definitely was not lower on the midnight tour on the IRT, especially in Manhattan. That’s why the Transit Police were put on the trains back then. Conductor, M/M, Transfers, Work Train, I was out there nightly in the early Eighties. Carry on.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

One of the BU gate cars will be in the "hometown heroes" parade tomorrow... towed on a truck. IMO they should use a bus from the Transit Museum collection instead. 

Actually, yes in preparation for Wednesday, the 7th. Maybe hooked up on a flatbed with a truck car. 

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Yep.  I remember because there actually were mornings I would take the (4) before the (6) started back up.  (4) actually had pretty good crowds then (circa 1984).  

On 7/3/2021 at 10:22 PM, paulrivera said:

The one time I tried to fan a (D) Yankees special, it ended at Herald Square… I was so disappointed…

Well that sucks LOL. There either had to be some trackwork being done at that time, or a situation on/with the train which led to that. Herald Square isn't used as a terminal when regular service operates because it would delay trains headed south (and also northbound if it had to turn back). 

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

How long is the average IRT Subway Platform?

I think 540’ for the main line (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6) lines. The trains are 515’ long and platforms need a bit of extra space to allow the trains to platform. The (7) line platforms I think are 575’