SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again MTA screws over people south of atlantic avenue on Q train. This alleged construction is taking too long and the train to Coney Island never comes. So sick of this. f**k MTA. Wanna punch their executives in the face so hard.

Well said... Signed "The Eye-talian"...  :lol:

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

(A) stopped at Utica at all times but the local stops only on nights to cover the (C) which didn't run at that time?

That makes sense, never really occured to me, thanks. (IIRC, the <C> operated during rush hours only, while the (K) outside of rush hours).

One more service pattern I'd like to ask about - did the (N) operate express on 4th Av during the day in 1987? I'd presume the grey (N) bullet at stations such as 45 St would be for the late night service, but I can't know for certain, hence my inquiry.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Once again MTA screws over people south of atlantic avenue on Q train. This alleged construction is taking too long and the train to Coney Island never comes. So sick of this. f**k MTA. Wanna punch their executives in the face so hard.

We must of taken a different (Q)?  Because I had a clear ride home with no delay.

^Shit like this is why I say New Yorkers don't deserve any kind of transit system.

Guest Lance

I understand.

On a semi-related note, I've been looking at some older maps of the subway on NYCSubway, this one in particular: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/maps/system_1987.gif

Does anyone know what this means?

utica.jpg

Why is the (A) bolded but not Kingston/Throop? I've been doing some 1980s FIND displays and they're probably massively inaccurate. Originally I thought that the <C> and (K) ran at the same time, because on CPW there's nothing designating that they don't.

Until the early '90s, the C as we know it was a rush hour route only. When the C didn't run, the K ran in its place from 168 St to the World Trade Center. The A ran local in Brooklyn.

As for the bolded text, first off that's the '87 map from nycsubway.org, right? That map only bolds lines that stop at a station at all times. Since the A didn't make local stops during the rush hours, it's in a lighter shade.

Edited by Lance

Until the early '90s, the C as we know it was a rush hour route only. When the C didn't run, the K ran in its place from 168 St to the World Trade Center. The A ran local in Brooklyn.

As for the bolded text, first off that's the '87 map from nycsubway.org, right? That map only bolds lines that stop at a station at all times. Since the A didn't make local stops during the rush hours, it's in a lighter shade.

Yes, it is off the '87 map. Thanks for the information! I love learning about past service patterns in the New York Subway, fascinating stuff indeed.

My day this morning on the IND Fulton Street Line...

At Fulton station in Manhattan, I passed an Howard Beach (A) for the (C). Then it got held at Hoyt due to switching problems there. There were some angry passengers because of the situation happening on an early Monday morning of course. While stuck at Hoyt, a northbound A full to the brim with passengers was held due to unknown problems on the R46s, which slowed down the next arriving northbound A/C's. Then it was concluded for the C to run express all the way to Euclid. We then got held again near Rockaway Avenue due to trains turning at Broadway Junction. Finally as we went from Shepherd to Euclid, that same Howard Beach A was already on the local track. I assume it got rerouted to the local after Utica. Along the way on the rerouted C express, I see many northbound A's going local for unknown reasons and some leftover northbound C's as well and the express platforms at Utica and Broadway Junction becoming heavily crowded.

Now for the afternoon while fanning the southbound C to Euclid, a Lefferts A came, then about two minutes later a Howard Beach A came and got held at 145 to let the (D) go first. My C made the D connection at 125 and that same Howard Beach A passes me at about 96 and we caught up to it at 59! Then it crawled and got held at Canal to let my C proceed first. After my C arrives at Euclid, that same A arrives! I assume that A was way ahead of schedule or some problems occurred.

The End...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Wow take it easy dude. Yeah it could be frustrating, but there's a more constructive way of reflecting your opinion without suggesting bodily harm. Just giving you a heads up. 

Yep, let those executives know that you don't want any more track construction messing with active service  Make the system like every other subway where it's closed down completely overnight and weekends for maintenance  that way there won't be any construction getting in the way of your (Q) .....

I have an 80s service question of my own - I was looking at a map from 1986 which showed the (D)<Q> and (M) all running on the Brighton line to Coney Island. How in the heck did Coney Island terminal handle all 3 services???? With those plus the (N), tracks 1-4 would have only had 1 pocket for each line!

^Shit like this is why I say New Yorkers don't deserve any kind of transit system.

cannot penalize everybody on account of a couple of persons with extreme opinions. if we had no transit system and there were so many more personal vehicles on the road, our planet would be so much more screwed than it already is (global warming).

Yep, let those executives know that you don't want any more track construction messing with active service  Make the system like every other subway where it's closed down completely overnight and weekends for maintenance  that way there won't be any construction getting in the way of your (Q) .....

I have an 80s service question of my own - I was looking at a map from 1986 which showed the (D)<Q> and (M) all running on the Brighton line to Coney Island. How in the heck did Coney Island terminal handle all 3 services???? With those plus the (N), tracks 1-4 would have only had 1 pocket for each line!

were they all running to CI during the same hours? it was not the (D)<Q> running there for one part of the day with the (M)<Q> running there for another part of the day or something along those lines?

Perhaps we ought to start a thread discussing 80s and 90s service? It can be confusing to wrap your head around certain patterns, and I don't exactly want to highjack this thread every time I have an inquiry, which I assume would be every couple of hours.

For now, though, I have one last inquiry - in the summer of '97, late nights, the (G) ran to 179 St on QB. http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/maps/calcagno-1997-august-sub-nit.gif

I'm confused about the stop pattern the (E) makes. The Wikipedia article on it says that the E made all local stops, while the maps suggests it made some local stops east of 71 (see Van Wyck Blvd - it's only written that the (G) stopped there, but there's a little station bullet for the (E) too).. So what was the (E)'s service pattern?

Perhaps we ought to start a thread discussing 80s and 90s service? It can be confusing to wrap your head around certain patterns, and I don't exactly want to highjack this thread every time I have an inquiry, which I assume would be every couple of hours.

For now, though, I have one last inquiry - in the summer of '97, late nights, the (G) ran to 179 St on QB. http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/maps/calcagno-1997-august-sub-nit.gif

I'm confused about the stop pattern the (E) makes. The Wikipedia article on it says that the E made all local stops, while the maps suggests it made some local stops east of 71 (see Van Wyck Blvd - it's only written that the (G) stopped there, but there's a little station bullet for the (E) too).. So what was the (E)'s service pattern?

I can think of these possibilities:

1) The wikipedia says it runs local in reference to the line above that, which says that the (E) skipped 75th Avenue and Van Wyck during the the day.

2) The (E) did provide local service east of Forest Hills, but later that same year, it began running local all the way.

http://erictb.info/

http://erictb.info/linehistory.html

12-11-88 moved out of 179th St. to new Archer Avenue line, with terminal at Jamaica Center (a few rush hour trains operated to 179th after that for awhile)

Late 90's, full time express service ends when all trains are made local at night due to 63rd St connector work.

Early 2000, goes to Euclid all times except nights (Nights to Canal) when switch at WTC is replaced.

I say go for it! You can do the honors of posting the thread starter. 

Agreed everybody?

For now, though, I have one last inquiry - in the summer of '97, late nights, the  (G) ran to 179 St on QB. http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/maps/calcagno-1997-august-sub-nit.gif

I'm confused about the stop pattern the  (E) makes. The Wikipedia article on it says that the E made all local stops, while the maps suggests it made some local stops east of 71 (see Van Wyck Blvd - it's only written that the  (G) stopped there, but there's a little station bullet for the  (E) too).. So what was the (E)'s service pattern?

The (E) was running local late nights so the wiki is correct. I think the reason with the (G) running to 179 was because at that time the (F) on late nights terminated at 21st/QB, pre 63rd Street Connector circa 1997. As the 6th Ave (Q) at the time was a part time service only with the (D) running to CI via Brighton at all times. 

Edited by realizm

I can think of these possibilities:

1) The wikipedia says it runs local in reference to the line above that, which says that the (E) skipped 75th Avenue and Van Wyck during the the day.

2) The (E) did provide local service east of Forest Hills, but later that same year, it began running local all the way.

http://erictb.info/

http://erictb.info/linehistory.html

1) I'm talking about the night, though. ;) It's confusing me because Wikipedia, the station bullets and the little letters designating the services stopping at these stations all say different things about the instance.

2) In that instance, I'd assume there would be no skipping of 75 or Van Wyck?

Thanks for the answers though.

I say go for it! You can do the honors of posting the thread starter. 

Agreed everybody?

I'd like some other people's input before I open the thread, but I figure it would be useful. :)

1) I'm talking about the night, though. ;) It's confusing me because Wikipedia, the station bullets and the little letters designating the services stopping at these stations all say different things about the instance.

2) In that instance, I'd assume there would be no skipping of 75 or Van Wyck?

Thanks for the answers though.

I'd like some other people's input before I open the thread, but I figure it would be useful. :)

Yeah, I think many people will dig the thread. I'll like to discuss past service patterns as it is a very interesting aspect of transit history.

On the two questions, no the (E) actually made all stops. Including 75th and van Wyck. I used to live in jamaica so that's what I remember.

As I was mentioning before, the  (E) was running local late nights so the wiki is correct. The reason the  (G) was previously running to 179 was because at that time the  (F) on late nights terminated at 21st/QB, pre 63rd Street Connector circa 1997. It didn't run via QBL to 179th St late nights at that time, 1997.

Then the (F) supplemental service was replaced by a shuttle. As the 6th Ave orange   (Q) at the time was a part time service via 6th Ave Express to 21st St/63rd which did not run late nights at all, only with the  (D) running to CI via Brighton at all times according to those past service patterns.

Yeah, that should be roughly how that worked during that year up to late summer, close to the fall when the services was changed again and the (F) was rerouted again, to 179th as it should. As to why the MTA made odd changes like that in the service patterns to begin with I have absolutely no idea. Only a seasoned transit worker would know that one.