SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 7/25/2021 at 11:47 AM, 4CNRailfan said:

I don’t see it happening, but it would be pretty cool if the (N)(W) got extended to LGA, let’s say to Terminal A, and have a Port Authority shuttle pick it up from there. In my opinion it’d make way more sense rather than building a whole new AirTrain system from the ground up.

What would you think about one service branching one station to LGA and another service branching one stop to West Astoria? Both extensions would increase connectivity (West Astoria has the NYC Ferry) and the West Astoria stop would reduce transit time for thousands of people who currently walk or take the bus to the current terminal. Also extending would allow for proper terminals to be built at both ends :)

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the funkiest possible routing that you could think of that would absolutely never go into regular service (unless the world would be turned upside down). My entry is Coney Island-Stillwell Av via either Sea Beach or the West End via 4 Av local and the tunnel to Nassau St, then down the Jamaica line and switching to the Canarsie line at the Broadway Junction. Can't imagine anyone would ever suggest this as a service lol. See if you can come up with an even more nonsensical routing!

Edited by jammerbot

I wonder during the AM and PM rush hours, the select (7) trains that ends at Wilets Point, is there an additional train operator that's at the end of the platform? Reason asking this because some trains are 4-5 mins away or back to back being the trains going to the Yard (wondering how fast can they send a train out of service for the next one to pull in to the station)

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

I wonder during the AM and PM rush hours, the select (7) trains that ends at Wilets Point, is there an additional train operator that's at the end of the platform? Reason asking this because some trains are 4-5 mins away or back to back being the trains going to the Yard (wondering how fast can they send a train out of service for the next one to pull in to the station)

There’s assigned platform conductors to help clean out the train along with the conductor of that train which then gets off and either deadheads to main Street or Work as Assigned on platform at Willets point. 

29 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Really? Thought it was because of the unicorns. 🙄

I know it's because the switches, but they could've relabled one of these services as the (B) or (S) .

But why?

The northern split operates express on CPW, and it heads up to 205th Street. It's still similar to the (D) , minus the portion south of 59th Street (southbound) or south of West 4th Street (northbound). It doesn't resemble a (B) , and vaguely resembles the (C) in one direction. 

The southern split is the exact same thing as the (D) between West 4th Street and Coney Island.

It's honestly not that confusing (the map may look somewhat confusing), but if you think about, it's not difficult to understand. Also riders don't seem to have had too many issues understanding what to do (even if they didn't know about it beforehand). What you're suggesting would have added an extra layer of confusion, for no reason. Also, it's not the first time we've had a split. Just recently, they've been doing a split service on the (Q) for the past month on weeknights at Atlantic Avenue. Trains from 96th Street originate / terminate on the southbound (D)(N) track, and for continuing service to/from the Brighton line, you have to go to the (B)(Q) platform. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

So apparently, there's going to be an R143 making a round trip from ENY to Jamaica then back to ENY. No idea why they're doing it to be honest. I also hear someone saying the first R211 unit that arrived is probably getting transferred to Pitkin which will still not run under its own power yet.

4 hours ago, Vulturious said:

So apparently, there's going to be an R143 making a round trip from ENY to Jamaica then back to ENY. No idea why they're doing it to be honest. I also hear someone saying the first R211 unit that arrived is probably getting transferred to Pitkin which will still not run under its own power yet.

So it turned out the R143 going to Jamaica was for a power wash. I'm surprised they ran something along the IND line all the way to Jamaica for a power wash when they could've easily ran it to Coney Island. Not going to complain since it is running along tracks it doesn't usually ever run.

As for the R211 transferring to Pitkin Yard, it was true. Shame they couldn't run under their own power, but we'll probably see it maybe this weekend or sometime soon at least. Next unit should be transferring tomorrow around the same time it did today around 7:30.

54 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

So it turned out the R143 going to Jamaica was for a power wash. I'm surprised they ran something along the IND line all the way to Jamaica for a power wash when they could've easily ran it to Coney Island. Not going to complain since it is running along tracks it doesn't usually ever run.

As for the R211 transferring to Pitkin Yard, it was true. Shame they couldn't run under their own power, but we'll probably see it maybe this weekend or sometime soon at least. Next unit should be transferring tomorrow around the same time it did today around 7:30.

the 211 is transferring there for testing right ?

9 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The R211 reportedly has a propulsion problem and that was why it was moved.

Interesting, I didn't want to mention that since I wasn't really sure if it was true or not. Still might not, but why move it to Pitkin if it had propulsion problem? Does Pitkin have something to fix that issue or would it have been better to fix it at Pitkin to then test it out along the Broad Channel Test Track?

On 7/31/2021 at 10:31 AM, Calvin said:

News state that at Astor Place on the (6) , the K-mart that you usually see on the Downtown side. It'll become a food market (Wegmans is the name). 

The people I know who've been to it for upstate love that place.

Well, anything beats an overpriced Gristedes or whatever.

I am not sure if it is true, but is the (C) already back to its normal weekday service? According to mta.info the old (C) schedule is back. If this is true, What cars are even being used to fill in for the Pitkin and 207 St Yard Shortages?

Edited by darkstar8983

16 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I am not sure if it is true, but is the (C) already back to its normal weekday service? According to mta.info the old (C) schedule is back. If this is true, What cars are even being used to fill in for the Pitkin and 207 St Yard Shortages?

No extra cars needed. They have enough equipment to make service.

4 minutes ago, ActiveCity said:

Why doesn't the MTA focus on de-interlining? This is a serious question.

When I lived in Flatbush I was near both the Brighton Line and Nostrand Ave IRT, I liked having access to both Broadway and 6th Ave on Brighton and Lex and 7th Ave on the IRT Nostrand.

I'm sure most riders in those areas feel the same way and that's why the MTA doesn't focus on de-interlining.