SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

22 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Chrystie St was smart, if only because it directed people from Nassau (a place they weren't really trying to go) to Midtown (a place that they were). The only issue there is the interlining after DeKalb, but that also existed before the Chrystie St connection.

The issue is that they had to remove the switches between the express and local tracks going southbound. And so we often get the convoluted service changes on the (D) whenever there’s work to be done on the 6 Aevnue express tracks. They really should have looked into doing a bit more to compensate for the loss of flexibility.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

For all you (Q) train foamers, R160B cars 9888-9892 / 9868-9872 is doing a stint on the (Q) this morning, Along with 8873-8877 / 8943-8947

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I saw that Siemens set on the (N) coming from 96th street a little while ago.

I actually got that (N) train to 8th Av from Canal St today, Brooklyn-bound. Seems that with the two Alstoms running on the (Q) , the (N) borrowed one or two from Jamaica Yard for a while. This maybe b/c of more SMS work being done on the R46s. 

43 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I actually got that (N) train to 8th Av from Canal St today, Brooklyn-bound. Seems that with the two Alstoms running on the (Q) , the (N) borrowed one or two from Jamaica Yard for a while. This maybe b/c of more SMS work being done on the R46s. 

Yes it is because of the SMS on the R46s. Would have made more sense to just have the extra R160s on the (N).

21 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yes it is because of the SMS on the R46s. Would have made more sense to just have the extra R160s on the (N).

It used to be at least 12 trains left-over: otherwise, there wouldn't need to be leftovers at Jamaica Yard being used on C.I routes. 

Old leftover units: 8888-92, 8913-7, 8938-42, 8978-82, 8993-7, 9003-12, 9018-9102

Edited by Calvin

Saw a ton of NIS deadheads along the A/C last night, seemed like earlier than usual and odder fleets. 4-car R46 set absolutely flying towards Utica, two different NIS 8-car R46 sets running light along the local, all within 5-10 minutes of each other. Did that have to do with the early shutdown each eve and yard access? Was barely 9:30p.

On 8/22/2021 at 5:05 PM, CenSin said:

The issue is that they had to remove the switches between the express and local tracks going southbound. And so we often get the convoluted service changes on the (D) whenever there’s work to be done on the 6 Aevnue express tracks. They really should have looked into doing a bit more to compensate for the loss of flexibility.

All these years and they never thought to put in a set of switches between the southbound express and local tracks before Broadway-Lafayette (I assume the originals were after the station going towards 2nd Ave)?

Don't think anyone posted this and this was the only article I saw relating to some big investments about the (MTA)
https://buffalochronicle.com/2021/08/20/hochul-plans-to-invest-heavily-in-the-mta-will-prioritize-tribororx-over-second-avenue/

Things to note:

• Biggest one is obviously wanting to prioritize the TriboroRX instead of the SAS. It could be a good thing because it'll allow for people from Brooklyn to get to from South Brooklyn into the Bronx. Not going to get into the more specific details of why.
  • New Amtrak station in Long Island City which she wants to name it after Shirley Chisholm.
  • Best news I've heard was to not continue with the LGA Airtrain and to replace it with... the "(Q)"? I get the feeling they mean the (N)/(W). If they can get that done, I won't complain.
  • New at-grade light rail system in Nassau County, light rail system and monorail in Buffalo and Rockchester.
  • SAS extension to 125 St as well as across 125 St. This is probably second to be prioritized.

Not sure if there was anything else I missed, go and give this a read.

Not impressed with Hochul so far, but then again I never was; Cuomo's second-in-command, after all.  It's as if Trump resigned and got replaced by Pence.  Not much of an improvement if you ask me. 

TriboroRX is a pipe-dream hardly worthy of prioritization, naming the LIC station after Chisholm is just worthless political grandstanding (especially considering Chisholm represented  Brooklyn, not Queens), and building streetcars in Nassau County is a misplaced priority when they really should be restoring abandoned LIRR lines like the Central Branch.

That being said, I'm especially opposed to extending SAS across 125th.  SAS is supposed to go to The Bronx.  How long are Bronx residents going to get shafted out of the line they've been waiting for? Already been half a century FFS.

Looking forward to seeing her get primaried.

9 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Don't think anyone posted this and this was the only article I saw relating to some big investments about the (MTA)
https://buffalochronicle.com/2021/08/20/hochul-plans-to-invest-heavily-in-the-mta-will-prioritize-tribororx-over-second-avenue/

Things to note:

• Biggest one is obviously wanting to prioritize the TriboroRX instead of the SAS. It could be a good thing because it'll allow for people from Brooklyn to get to from South Brooklyn into the Bronx. Not going to get into the more specific details of why.
  • New Amtrak station in Long Island City which she wants to name it after Shirley Chisholm.
  • Best news I've heard was to not continue with the LGA Airtrain and to replace it with... the "(Q)"? I get the feeling they mean the (N)/(W). If they can get that done, I won't complain.
  • New at-grade light rail system in Nassau County, light rail system and monorail in Buffalo and Rockchester.
  • SAS extension to 125 St as well as across 125 St. This is probably second to be prioritized.

Not sure if there was anything else I missed, go and give this a read.

3 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Not impressed with Hochul so far, but then again I never was; Cuomo's second-in-command, after all.  It's as if Trump resigned and got replaced by Pence.  Not much of an improvement if you ask me. 

TriboroRX is a pipe-dream hardly worthy of prioritization, naming the LIC station after Chisholm is just worthless political grandstanding (especially considering Chisholm represented  Brooklyn, not Queens), and building streetcars in Nassau County is a misplaced priority when they really should be restoring abandoned LIRR lines like the Central Branch.

That being said, I'm especially opposed to extending SAS across 125th.  SAS is supposed to go to The Bronx.  How long are Bronx residents going to get shafted out of the line they've been waiting for? Already been half a century FFS.

Guys, I don’t think the Buffalo Chronicle is a legit news source. After reading articles about how Gov. Hochul wants to dismantle two miles of the Belt Parkway in Bay Ridge and is open to Staten Island seceding from NYC, a red flag came up. And given that Buffalo has an active light rail subway and Rochester has an abandoned one, the idea of putting monorails in both cities really made me question that article. Maybe we all should have a look at these reviews of the Buffalo Chronicle before we rush to judgment on Hochul. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-buffalo-chronicle/%3famp=1

https://www.canadaland.com/the-buffalo-chronicle-is-not-reliable/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-55005815.amp

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Guys, I don’t think the Buffalo Chronicle is a legit news source. After reading articles about how Gov. Hochul wants to dismantle two miles of the Belt Parkway in Bay Ridge and is open to Staten Island seceding from NYC, a red flag came up. And given that Buffalo has an active light rail subway and Rochester has an abandoned one, the idea of putting monorails in both cities really made me question that article. Maybe we all should have a look at these reviews of the Buffalo Chronicle before we rush to judgment on Hochul. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-buffalo-chronicle/%3famp=1

Thanks for the heads up.  It's bad enough when people link articles from tabloids like the NY Post or Daily News, but I see now this Buffalo rag is simply rock bottom- fake news, basically.

On 8/22/2021 at 4:22 PM, Vulturious said:

I honestly believe the (E) would do a much better job running in South Brooklyn compared to the (R). Not only is the line pretty short, but it's also express on one of the busiest lines in NYC which I personally believe does not deserve because it's short. With the (E) extended from WTC going further down in Manhattan and into South Brooklyn, I believe riders along 4 Av would have a better time, especially to those that are coming from other lines such as Sea Beach or West End.

I've ridden the (R) and I still have issues with the line even with CBTC and all of it being fully R160's. My experience hasn't changed, then again we're still in COVID and there are still crew shortages, but I don't doubt nothing is going to change the (R). The (E) to Bay Ridge would probably still have the same issues as the (R), but there is more demand for the (E) in general. 

If a connection were to ever be made, I believe the (W) should also be extended into Brooklyn more often. It is after all a huge shift in service and Broadway doesn't have many connections with 8 Av lines. The only areas you have any sort of connections are all of QBL, 42 St between Times Square and Port Authority Bus Terminal which is a pretty long transfer so it isn't really worth the transfer, and Jay St. There are no other transfers at all, especially when it comes to lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. I would've said extend the (R) because people are familiar with it, but the (W) is based out of Coney Island. Maybe renovating the lower level of 9 Av would help with that which will leave the (R) at lower level City Hall all to itself.

I'm not sure if a rebuild of the Culver shuttle is possible at this point. Although, if this were to happen, that would allow for better use of the extended (W) because there's more reasons for it. It would still be able to have access to Coney Island yard through two different ways.

Well if the (E) went to Bay Ridge 95th Street wouldn’t the (R) terminate at City Hall. And I too agree that the (W) should have an official Brooklyn route. Maybe during Rush Hours it could be extended to Bay Parkway via West End line while the (D) continues to Coney Island basically replicating the old rush hour (M) route. I believe that would give the (W) more purpose rather than feeling like a mere local counterpart to the (N) and And unlike the fomer brown (M)  the people would “actually” ride (W)  A rebuilding the culver shuttle. Well that might help riders out too. I wounded if the (T) could be connected to the 4th Avenue line 

5 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Gotcha, I'll keep that in mind next time. I should've trusted my guts when I saw nothing else covering what Hochul wanted to do.

2 hours ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

Well if the (E) went to Bay Ridge 95th Street wouldn’t the (R) terminate at City Hall. And I too agree that the (W) should have an official Brooklyn route. Maybe during Rush Hours it could be extended to Bay Parkway via West End line while the (D) continues to Coney Island basically replicating the old rush hour (M) route. I believe that would give the (W) more purpose rather than feeling like a mere local counterpart to the (N) and And unlike the fomer brown (M)  the people would “actually” ride (W)  A rebuilding the culver shuttle. Well that might help riders out too. I wounded if the (T) could be connected to the 4th Avenue line 

I can't even tell if you read the whole thing since you bring up "if the (E) went to Bay Ridge 95th Street wouldn’t the (R) terminate at City Hall." When it comes to the (W) running along the rebuilt Culver Shuttle line, I don't doubt for a second people using it. It's definitely going to be more useful allowing (W) trains to run there more often (except for late nights and maybe weekends if there isn't enough demand).

As for the (T) connecting to the 4 Av line, I'm not sure if it's really needed. Especially since Fulton St line needs all the help they can get.

Today on the (2) train I seen a woman giving her pet Turtle water from a water bottle... then she drunk out of that same bottle! I don't think its safe to drink water behind a reptile. Then she was just causally holding the little Turtle in her hand, one of the most amusing things I ever seen on the subway. I've seen Rats, Pigeons and Dogs on the subway, but never a Turtle.

20 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It's not a legit source:

The Buffalo Chronicle as I remember was outed to being a very right-wing source.  Someone last year on Twitter linked to an article from it about a mobster who was going to make it so Trump won easily by talking about things allegedly done but turned out as I remember to be a fake article.

That said, Phase 2 does need to be extended across 125 if possible to a terminal at Broadway that would allow transfers to ALL of the other lines on 125 and should also include a connection to the 8th Avenue and Concourse lines just west of what would be 125/St. Nicholas, likely where such a connection would involve connection to the tracks between the express and local north of 125.  Such would mainly be for G.O.'s but also could be used for some special event trains to Yankee Stadium or in the future could allow for a Concourse/8th Avenue train to 168 or 207 in Manhattan or 205 in the Bronx via Broadway and the SAS for example (or THAT be a future SAS to The Bronx).

15 hours ago, Vulturious said:

As for the (T) connecting to the 4 Av line, I'm not sure if it's really needed. Especially since Fulton St line needs all the help they can get.

And I would have the (T) do it where it would run via a new tunnel that would connect to what currently is the Transit Museum at Court Street and from there come in on the currently-unused local track/platform at Hoyt-Schermerhorm and go from there to Euclid.  That would allow the (C) to become the full-time Lefferts line (except late nights when the (T) would be extended there) while the (A) becomes the full-time Rockaway line split likely 4/3 between Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park (at peak probably 8 TPH to Far Rockaway and 6 TPH to Rockaway Park). 

On 8/26/2021 at 3:21 AM, R10 2952 said:

I mean, at the very least this is a more promising start than the other accidental governor we got in the 21st century, Paterson. And to be quite honest this is a lot better than I would have expected an Upstate politician to do. But this is also fake so :shrug:

I like RX, or something that looks a lot like it, because it is undeniable that the MTA has never been competitive with cars between the outer boroughs, and it's a fairly large market. It's also the first step, IMO, in the necessary path to reducing inequalities in the boroughs, by starting to make it feasible to have actual business districts a bit away from Manhattan.

Edited by bobtehpanda

Am I the only one that sees deinterlining Roger Juction to cause more harm than good. Like for example a whole bunch of people uses the Lexington Avenue line of the Nostand Avenue line and people use the 7th Avenue line on New lots ave line. Besides how the hell would 3 train get to a train yard. Besides I believe that they are other way to fix roger Juction to allow for any connection easier 

4 minutes ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

Besides how the hell would 3 train get to a train yard. Besides I believe that they are other way to fix roger Juction to allow for any connection easier 

(3) trains already have access to Lenox Yard. Trains can be stored there anytime and at the end of the day bad order trains can go to Livonia or 239th Street Yard for a fix up.