SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 9/1/2021 at 2:06 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

BTW, the writer of the article is as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to mass transit issues in the metropolitan area. reading his articles for the last couple of months shows me that he's either a mouthpiece for the agencies or he's truly unqualified. Just my opinion. YMMV. Carry on.

If you're talking about Clayton Guse, you hit the nail on the head.  How that idiot got the job is beyond me. 

• Replies 30.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an R62 on the (4) today, didn't ride the subway today, saw it on YouTube. 

I wonder what other unusual car assignments was caused by the the storm. Was tempted to go into the city but I wasn't sure how messed up the system really was, hopefully things are back to normal by tomorrow.

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

On another note, all this flooding after the MTA supposedly "made improvements" after Sandy... SMH.  Lessons have not been learned.

Back to square one I guess?

Weren't those changes only to South Ferry and maybe a couple of other stations?

7 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

On another note, all this flooding after the MTA supposedly "made improvements" after Sandy... SMH.  Lessons have not been learned.

Back to square one I guess?

Note that the flooding occurred in areas of the system that weren't updated after Sandy. The resiliency projects worked.

8 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Not a good idea to have had a Mets Game and the US Open occurring simultaneously, while the (7) is the only train available for a good chunk of Queens residents.

Surprisingly the crowding wasn't too bad today. This is considering the fact that (N) and (W) is also not running into Queens. Crowding was similar to a regular pre-COVID rush hour on the (7) 

The buses however was an absolute disaster. There is not enough Q60 and Q53 buses, especially after 8PM and there was crowding on that.

More surprising is the lack of general knowledge some NYer have regarding their subway system. People were asking directions to 34 Street, South Ferry, etc.

2 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Surprisingly the crowding wasn't too bad today. This is considering the fact that (N) and (W) is also not running into Queens. Crowding was similar to a regular pre-COVID rush hour on the (7) 

The buses however was an absolute disaster. There is not enough Q60 and Q53 buses, especially after 8PM and there was crowding on that.

More surprising is the lack of general knowledge some NYer have regarding their subway system. People were asking directions to 34 Street, South Ferry, etc.

The crowding was pretty bad at 10-11PM when I took the (7) . Every Manhattan-bound train was slammed, and the super expresses they ran too were also slammed. The eastbound ridership was like more spread out on the LIRR or the buses (express and local). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

48 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The crowding was pretty bad at 10-11PM when I took the (7) . Every Manhattan-bound train was slammed, and the super expresses they ran too were also slammed. The eastbound ridership was like more spread out on the LIRR or the buses (express and local). 

Must be the Mets/US Open initial exit surge.

During rush hours MTA were still running <7> service, which was surprising, as most people probably wanted the local stops

The crowding that is peak loads normally present at Queensboro Plaza was moved to the Manhattan stations due to the lack of the (N). In fact crowds decreased at Queensboro today

It seems like a fraction of the passengers who normally took the QBL was on the (7)today. 

Not sure about the ridership on the LIRR or express buses, but the buses are extremely packed on the Q53 and Q60. I know a sizable amount of people who took the train to Flushing for the bus to Jamaica today

Luckily this happened in a pandemic, because if this was a normal rush hour it would be absolute chaos. Queens can not afford any kind of subway failure,  failure of any one line will cause every other line to be completely overloaded and every nearby bus overloaded as well.

I remember the day when the (F) derailed at 65th Street. It was absolute madness of both people not getting off at 74th Street and an entire platform filled of passengers trying to get on. Those same passenger would then try to transfer to the (N) at Queensboro Plaza, which caused a big mess there as well

Bells went off on the (N) and (Q) platforms. 5 minutes later and 3 more rings of the bell, I see a conductor show up so I make a run for that train the conductor is going to since there weren't any conductors in either train.

The reliance on humans doing a specific job on an automatable vehicle… some say it's a feature (there should never be a train in operation without an accountable human) and others say it's a bug (liability to efficiency and timeliness).

I think we can achieve both: make the human jobs non-specific/flexible. Do we really need someone whose job is only to be a conductor or token booth?

Edited by CenSin

17 hours ago, Lex said:

Weren't those changes only to South Ferry and maybe a couple of other stations?

12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Note that the flooding occurred in areas of the system that weren't updated after Sandy. The resiliency projects worked.

In that case my emphasis would be more on the fact that they spent all the years after Sandy doing a whole song-and-dance about floodproofing the system and whatnot, but only did a fraction of what needed to be done towards that end.

The optics are such that they've just lost a great deal of credibility, as far as capital improvements are concerned.  Maybe things will slowly get better now that Cumo's gone, but the point still remains- they had nine years to prevent a repeat of 2012.  Where did they lose their time?  

6 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

In that case my emphasis would be more on the fact that they spent all the years after Sandy doing a whole song-and-dance about floodproofing the system and whatnot, but only did a fraction of what needed to be done towards that end.

The optics are such that they've just lost a great deal of credibility, as far as capital improvements are concerned.  Maybe things will slowly get better now that Cumo's gone, but the point still remains- they had nine years to prevent a repeat of 2012.  Where did they lose their time?  

It's not about time, it's about money.

Cuomo followed in the great trend of NY Governor's shrinking their contribution and having the MTA take out debt in the name of "fiscal responsibility." There is, for example, no plan to get to 100% accessibility in the system, or even 90%, and that is something the MTA is legally mandated to do. The Capital Plan for the current five years is still unfunded.

On the one hand, things do cost more in MTA land, but on the other hand, a lot of the times we are penny pinching on an entity that even in its decrepit state has over $1T of asset value to manage. It turns out if you don't pay for upkeep things don't get kept up.

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

It's not about time, it's about money.

Cuomo followed in the great trend of NY Governor's shrinking their contribution and having the MTA take out debt in the name of "fiscal responsibility." There is, for example, no plan to get to 100% accessibility in the system, or even 90%, and that is something the MTA is legally mandated to do. The Capital Plan for the current five years is still unfunded.

On the one hand, things do cost more in MTA land, but on the other hand, a lot of the times we are penny pinching on an entity that even in its decrepit state has over $1T of asset value to manage. It turns out if you don't pay for upkeep things don't get kept up.

On the topic of accessibility im suprised the MTA was never forced into a consent decree regarding ADA and forced to say make atleast 50% ADA Stations by 9/4/ 2026 etc 

The lower Bronx portion of the (6) is STILL out due to ida where's the rest of the system has been restored. Nostrand must be badly damaged as well as the (5) been terminating at Bowling Green all day, and only limited (2) service. Might need an emergency (2) to Utica G.O this weekend so they can fully repair the Nostrand line.

38 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The lower Bronx portion of the (6) is STILL out due to ida where's the rest of the system has been restored. Nostrand must be badly damaged as well as the (5) been terminating at Bowling Green all day, and only limited (2) service. Might need an emergency (2) to Utica G.O this weekend so they can fully repair the Nostrand line.

The (2) and (5) may have something to do with Newkirk Av. The walls on the platform collapsed on the "Do not enter or cross tracks" area, also, with the flood that happened there. However, may have fixed some of the damage there. 

24 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

(6) service in Manhattan is a mess today. 20 minute waits and no rerouting of the (5) via Lex Local to cover the gaps in service.

Do they not have enough cars to run the (6) or something?

All the (6) train cars are stuck in the Bronx. The only way to get extra cars are to use the R142s from the (4) and (5) but that only helps weekends