Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Lex said:

The whole order (base + options) is for 1,612 cars. Of those, 102 will be reserved for lower-capacity operations (eight 4-car sets plus the 75 cars for Staten Island), leaving 1,510. Ignoring Staten Island, we're looking at 748 remaining R46s + 425 R68s + 200 R68As, for a total of 1,373 cars. Even if we take out the cars used for Franklin Avenue, the absolute best-case number is 1,367 cars. Oh, and the car equivalents are five 60-footers (which the R211s are) to four 75-footers.

Sure, scrap the cars that aren't on their last legs before the ones that are. That'll definitely go over well.

 

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R46s aren't on their last legs, that's just foamer folklore. Yes, the cars are on their last legs yet are the  backbone of and provide reliable service on the longest line in the system. 

I am not great at digging through MTA documents, but at least in October 2019 R46s and R68s were <1000 miles of each other in MBDF. R68A was a lot higher though.

R68s and 68As were also declining much faster than R46s, though. I can't say whether or not that trend continued.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 26.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

 

I am not great at digging through MTA documents, but at least in October 2019 R46s and R68s were <1000 miles of each other in MBDF. R68A was a lot higher though.

R68s and 68As were also declining much faster than R46s, though. I can't say whether or not that trend continued.

From June 2020 to June 2021, the R68s were mostly around 100,000 miles while the R46s hovered around 60,000.

The R68As are a bit harder to nail, but they were somewhere between 60,000 and 80,000 miles.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So for the 42nd St shuttle...

I already know there are 2 six car sets running on the shuttle right now. But there's also another set at 207th & another one at CI getting SMS'd. So how many cars are actually assigned to the shuttle now?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So for the 42nd St shuttle...

I already know there are 2 six car sets running on the shuttle right now. But there's also another set at 207th & another one at CI getting SMS'd. So how many cars are actually assigned to the shuttle now?

29 cars -> 6 4-car trains with a 5-car as a spare. They've gained 9 cars extra from the previous 3-3-4 structure totaled to 20 cars back then (5-car and 4 singles from the 7 line). 

Edited by Calvin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will there be updated transfer announcements for trains stopping at Bryant Park/Times Square, now that they're all in one complex?

"This is Times Square, 42nd St. Transfer is available to the 1, 2, 3, A, B, C, D, E, F, N, Q, R, and W trains. Transfer is available to the shuttle to Grand Central. Connection is available to the Port Authority Bus Terminal"

That's a lot of transfers...

  • LMAO! 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

"This is Times Square, 42nd St. Transfer is available to the 1, 2, 3, A, B, C, D, E, F, N, Q, R, and W trains. Transfer is available to the shuttle to Grand Central. Connection is available to the Port Authority Bus Terminal"

"This is an accessible station, the elevator is at the (center of the) platform". 

 

Besides that, I'm wondering how the R160/R179 can fit all these transfers in one box. The R142s, not much: just another add on lines like stickers. 

Edited by Calvin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2021 at 9:46 PM, trainfan22 said:

The R46s aren't on their last legs, that's just foamer folklore. Yes, the cars are on their last legs yet are the  backbone of and provide reliable service on the longest line in the system. 

They run like garbage on the CI routes, And they are starting to show their age. By the time the 2nd option order is awarded they are going to be shot due to running on 24/7 routes like the A,G,N/Q lines . Right now they are being run into the ground since the spare factor was reduced due to the last 110+ r32's being in storage.

 

If the R46's at CI were on the (B) their MDBF would improve

 

Also there isn't enough R211's to replace the entire R68/A cars on top of the R46's

 

You Guys tend to forget that AFTER the R179 order, There was going to be 110 R32's left for service (first 100 R179's replaced the Already retired r44's that were NOT replaced by the R160's and all the r42's and 50% of the R32 fleet) . The first 80 to 100 R211's replaces those R32's with the rest replacing the SI R44's and all the R46's (If the 1st option is taken to replace the remaining r46's). All the remaining cars in the R211 is for fleet expansion unless ridership doesn't reach pre pandemic levels in 2025. If that's the case then 60% of the r68 fleet (concourse ones) could be in the same situation as the R32's, In storage until they decide if they want to retire them or not.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

Has anyone ever thought about the feasibility of building a 4 track line on Bronx 3rd Avenue line as part of a 2nd Avenue line? It will allow for maximum capacity for 2nd Avenue line. 

It's probably feasible, but it honestly depends on how the (MTA) wants to approach it. Especially with how expensive Phase 1 of SAS was, what are the chances that they'll ever consider a Bronx Extension any time soon or if they'll ever do one?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

Has anyone ever thought about the feasibility of building a 4 track line on Bronx 3rd Avenue line as part of a 2nd Avenue line? It will allow for maximum capacity for 2nd Avenue line. 

Well, it (theoretically) would, but you'd need to:

  1. fold back to two tracks when crossing the Harlem River,
  2. abandon any and all plans for 125th Street (short of building a perpendicular line),
  3. make the local tracks stub in the Bronx, or
  4. tack an additional pair of tracks onto the existing and future infrastructure, particularly north of 63rd Street.

You may have to pair either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 in order to take advantage of your idea with minimal losses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

Has anyone ever thought about the feasibility of building a 4 track line on Bronx 3rd Avenue line as part of a 2nd Avenue line? It will allow for maximum capacity for 2nd Avenue line. 

Not exactly. You would have four tracks eventually merging into two. That’s in essence going to limit the amount of trains you’d have on the four-track section to the same amount as on the two-track SAS. The four-track Bronx section would be forced to run below capacity due to the four-into-two merge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Not exactly. You would have four tracks eventually merging into two. That’s in essence going to limit the amount of trains you’d have on the four-track section to the same amount as on the two-track SAS. The four-track Bronx section would be forced to run below capacity due to the four-into-two merge. 

I was thinking at 138th street the express tracks can go underneath and having two tunnels head to 2nd Avenue line with the express tracks on the lower level but realistic that will be too expensive and difficult. Rebuilding the 3rd Avenue line will definitely attract riders but Realistic the ridership won’t be high enough to justify a four track line so three tracks for peak way express service should be good enough 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The (2)(5) R142 subway cars has Times Sq-42 St updated, but looks cramped. Having the (1)(3)(7) in one line, next one: 8 Av (A)(C)(E) then the (B)(D), (F)(M) in two separate lines along the (N)(Q) , (R)(W) with the (S) alone with the PA Bus terminal. 

Edited by Calvin
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a 10-car train of an R142A signed up as a <6> at Westchester Yard. Probably just a (4) train in storage for this weekends G/O until midnight. Being back in service on the (6) : wishful thinking. 

Edited by Calvin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The (L) train headways this weekend are an absolute joke. Every 8 minutes on paper between 8 Av and Broadway Junction - no service to/from Rockaway Parkway. This means there is no yard access for the (L) train should something go wrong. Saturday, two trains had to be pulled from service, causing increased headways, and today, there is a crew shortage on top of the shortage on train sets.

Edited by darkstar8983
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (L) train headways this weekend are an absolute joke. Every 8 minutes on paper between 8 Av and Broadway Junction - no service to/from Rockaway Parkway. This means there is no yard access for the (L) train should something go wrong. Saturday, two trains had to be pulled from service, causing increased headways, and today, there is a crew shortage on top of the shortage on train sets.

Honest question for you and the other posters. When you say that two (L) trains were taken out of service where did they store them ? There might have been no passenger service south of Broadway Junction but couldn’t the out of service trains be relayed at Atlantic Avenue and sent to ENY yard and replaced that way ? Depends on where the actual work was being done IMO. Just curious. Carry on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Honest question for you and the other posters. When you say that two (L) trains were taken out of service where did they store them ? There might have been no passenger service south of Broadway Junction but couldn’t the out of service trains be relayed at Atlantic Avenue and sent to ENY yard and replaced that way ? Depends on where the actual work was being done IMO. Just curious. Carry on.

The work is being done at Livonia Ave (adding ADA access to the station) . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The work is being done at Livonia Ave (adding ADA access to the station) . 

That’s what I was getting at. ENY was where the out of service trains were sent to and where the replacements came from. Atlantic Avenue would still have 3rd rail power in that scenario, IIRC. That shouldn’t have caused too much delay to the service between Manhattan and Broadway Junction. The lack of train crews is another problem altogether. Carry on. 

Edited by Trainmaster5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently some subway cars did get damaged due to Ida, in the video below is an R142 being TOWED back to the barn, I heard some of the (6) line's R62A's got stuck in the flooded portion of its route as well. Not my video BTW. Vary rare to see subway cars that's not brand new by towed by a diesel, most times they can limp back the barn on their own power or is pushed by another subway train.

 

 

Edited by trainfan22
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Apparently some subway cars did get damaged due to Ida, in the video below is an R142 being TOWED back to the barn, I heard some of the (6) line's R62A's got stuck in the flooded portion of its route as well. Not my video BTW. Vary rare to see subway cars that's not brand new by towed by a diesel, most times they can limp back the barn on their own power or is pushed by another subway train.

 

 

That's probably the set that got stuck at Newkirk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I head an interesting interview with Andy Byford yesterday, where he said that if he had known covid was about to start, he would have stayed on longer at the MTA before leaving because he felt terrible for the employees and wanted to help them through the crisis. And who knows, if he had stayed on for most of the pandemic and saw the writing on the wall for Cuomo, maybe he would have decided not to leave at all. Though he sounds much happier in his new job. He also mentioned that he got locked down in England while his wif was still in NYC when the pandemic hit, as he had bee unlucky enough to travel just before the shut downs occurred

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2021 at 12:12 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

And when the time comes for the 68 replacements what will they do for franklin AV will they have to order special 2 car sets? 

What they should do there is a full rebuild where the line goes back to two tracks and 600' stations.  This would allow as I would it for a future connection that I would want to do with the existing portion of the old Myrtle Avenue EL (including rebuilding the upper level of Myrtle-Broadway with all platforms becoming 600') for what would be a Myrtle-Brighton line that would run from Metropolitan Avenue to Coney Island with the (B) as locals on Brighton full-time while the (Q) becomes a full-time express to/from Brighton Beach (extended nights/weekends to CI), for this new line I would call a "Black (V)" train including rebuilding a small portion of the old Myrtle El with likely Tompkins Avenue the one stop from the old line included in this rebuild and then the line meeting up with the current Franklin Avenue Shuttle and absorbing that line as part of this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few changes are now on the R160 main-line cars (non-Eastern Division)

1. The Times Sq-42 St announcement on The (N)'s R160s now announce as soon as the train leaves 34 St-Herald Sq (northbound) and 49 St (southbound), and announce all the lines (1)(2)(3)(7) (A) (B) (C) (D)(E)(F)(M)(Q)(R)(W) (S), with the new 6th Av Line trains spliced in-between the (A)(C) and (E). For those who are wondering how all these lines were going to fit at this transfer, this is what happened:

 

ORIGINAL ROUTE STRIP MAP:

Times Sq-42 St (handicap sign)

1-2-3-7-A-C-E-Q-R-W-S-PABT

*the dashes represent the dots that separate each route

 

NEW ROUTE STRIP MAP

Times Sq-42 St / PABT (handicap sign)

123-7-ACE-BDFM-QRW-S

The dashes represent the dots that now separate the trunk lines. All routes in a Manhattan trunk line are now grouped together, and port authority bus terminal was now added to the top row where it says Times Sq-42 St.

 

2. Accessibility in subway stations are now announced similarly to the (L) 's R143s / R160A's. 

3. The 39 Av station now displays 39 Av-Dutch Kills

4. The "The next and last stop is" portion of the announcements are now done by the person who does the (A) and (C) announcements.

5. The (R)'s R160s southbound no longer display "via 59 St" on the exterior in the 3-phase scroll between "via 59 St, Broadway Local, Bay Ridge-95 St", instead being replaced by "4 Av Local". 

6. The 59 St (R) train trips now have a display for them as "59 St/4 Av", instead of having to use the Bay Ridge-95 St script or the 36 St-4 Av Script.

7. On the (N), the Lexington Av-59 St announcement has been amended to add the free transfer to Lexington-63 St as also being able to be completed using OMNY (again, spliced in).

Edited by darkstar8983
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.