SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

This is probably going to make me come across as a paranoid lunatic, but does anyone else find the "Oculus" art installation at the WTC complex creepy?

I think New World Order and the Illuminati on the dollar bill every time I see that.

This: (not my pics)

3408873628_ec45ff387c.jpg

As a parallell to this: 

dollar_ase.gif

Translated: "New Order of the Ages"...... That bugs me.

Edited by realizm

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's any conspiracy associated with the artwork (I don't roll that way), I just think it's creepy as hell.

Well in general it IS creepy. I thought I was the only one who was sort of unnerved by that artwork and the message behind it, if there is one. Artwork always carries a message, it is a form of expression. But that oculus art, makes me wonder sometimes with my wild imagination.

Anyway whatever, let's move on from that particular.

Rest in peace older Westinghouse motor system on the R32/62A/68. I just love the full howling so much! Mind as well post these from YouTube:

I get a kick of the humming traction motors of the R32's, and the R62's. I grew up riding these cars. I'll miss them when they're gone too. The noise of the R142's and the R143/R160's and it's traction motors, superb cars that they are (I mean the R160's cars can hit 60MPH+? Not bad...) does get tiresome to the ears after a while.....

Edited by realizm

Rest in peace older Westinghouse motor system on the R32/62A/68. I just love the full howling so much! Mind as well post these from YouTube:

<video links removed from reply>

(0:00 - 0:23)

You might like the vid i posted 

Edited by Mr Railfan

Well in general it IS creepy. I thought I was the only one who was sort of unnerved by that artwork and the message behind it, if there is one. Artwork always carries a message, it is a form of expression. But that oculus art, makes me wonder sometimes with my wild imagination.

Why? It's quite an interesting topic.

The nycsubway.org entry for "Oculus" reads thus:

Oculus consists of 301 mosaic panels by artists Kristin Jones, Andrew

Ginzel and Rinaldo Piras. The project presents the eyes of three

hundred individual New Yorkers translated from a photographic study

conducted by Jones/Ginzel into stone mosaic by the classically trained

Piras. The centerpiece of the work is an elliptical glass and stone

mosaic floor, with a magnificent micro mosaic eye at the center of an

ultramarine vortex with the image of the City of New York woven into the

picture.

And I'll take their word for it. I know a certain tin foil hat wielding member would b*tch at me for being an ignoramus and a dunce who blindly accepts whatever society tells them, but I fail to see how an art installation in a f**king subway station will lead to world domination, so I stand by what I said. Regardless, I am not a fan of the piece.

Let's get back to discussing R32's and general subway transit. As I was trying to discuss before I was interrupted. 

Rest in peace older Westinghouse motor system on the R32/62A/68. I just love the full howling so much! Mind as well post these from YouTube:

I get a kick of the humming traction motors of the R32's, and the R62's. I grew up riding these cars. I'll miss them when they're gone too. The noise of the R142's and the R143/R160's and it's traction motors, superb cars that they are (I mean the R160's cars can hit 60MPH+? Not bad...) does get tiresome to the ears after a while.....

You might like the vid i posted 

I really like these R32 cars. Timeless. 39 years in change these particular stainless steel 60' SMEE's have been servicing New Yorkers and performing superbly.

They've earned the nickname 'Brightliners' coined for these cars we all know this. But I understand according to a book that I actually owned from the transit museum as a kid when my dad took me there, entitled "They Moved The Millions" By Jack Davis, that T/Os back then called them 'Jack Rabbits'.

Because of the really strong pick up on speed.

Notice how they literally "kick" when the T/O starts the train and revs up the traction motors.

These GE 1257E1 or Westinghouse 1447JR traction motors are timeless as it set the standard for the rest of the SMEE fleets that succeeded these fine trains, the R38's, R40s, and last but not least the R42's and even the R62's after the initial problems starting with the R44's with their design as designers utilized SMEE technology on the R62's instead of what was utilized on the R44's.

I never heard yet and I guess never will ever hear again of cars with such an impressive record of service. The R160's may come close, also excellent cars as the MTA designers in cooperation with Alstom and Kawasaki really worked hard on this from lessons learned from the bugs found with the R142's but again these R32's are timeless. And they PERFORM.

And that humming sound.... Now that's power that we hear in those traction motors. They can max out in speed from 0 to 55 MPH easy. Again notice that heck of a "kick" when the T/O revs up the motors and picks up speed from being stationary in a station. Growing up riding these trains for the longest since birth that has been my observations. Their MDBF's? Well sure better then some of even the NTT's even (the R142's) in recent memory. Now that's something to consider. This is why I really dig these excellent cars.

Edited by realizm

So I've been doing some thinking...with the B44-SBS going into full swing within a year and the northbound routing of the bus being relocated onto Rogers Avenue, I've been wondering about the Bedford Avenue/Arlington Place exit for the Nostrand Avenue station on the (A) and the (C). Are they going to re-open it for the B44-SBS? I would be shocked if they didn't seeing that there will be a Fulton Street stop for the B44 in both directions, and the northbould stop will now be at Fulton/Bedford. Obviously it is unnecessary now since the northbound and southbound B44 stop at Fulton and Nostrand Avenues, and there isn't a Limited stop at Fulton/Bedford, but that will soon change. Will the MTA re-open the western exit for the station? I think it is warranted. Thoughts?

So I've been doing some thinking...with the B44-SBS going into full swing within a year and the northbound routing of the bus being relocated onto Rogers Avenue, I've been wondering about the Bedford Avenue/Arlington Place exit for the Nostrand Avenue station on the (A) and the (C). Are they going to re-open it for the B44-SBS? I would be shocked if they didn't seeing that there will be a Fulton Street stop for the B44 in both directions, and the northbould stop will now be at Fulton/Bedford. Obviously it is unnecessary now since the northbound and southbound B44 stop at Fulton and Nostrand Avenues, and there isn't a Limited stop at Fulton/Bedford, but that will soon change. Will the MTA re-open the western exit for the station? I think it is warranted. Thoughts?

It would certainly help transfers...

Interesting that the MTA changed the (1) and the (A) from Service Change to "Sandy Reroute". That is much better than "Service Change"

Its good though that the (MTA) did that so that the passengers can know why the routes changed.

Edited by R62AR33

Anyone else see that R160 (D)  train?

Did it start as a (D) train or was it a re-routed (F)? I was on a rerouted (F) R160 about a year ago, where the conductor changed it to (D) programming at B'way-Lafayette since the train got rerouted due to a problem on the Culver.

I saw it in Brooklyn.

I know. I meant that in the sense that I was assuming that the R160 you saw on the Brighton line @ Prospect Park was heading to Manhattan along it's normal route up the CPW, Grand Concourse, etc. I don't know which direction the (D) was headed. Perhaps back to CI Yard in revenue service?

Edited by realizm