SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 9/24/2021 at 11:10 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

The other day I saw an ad on an MTA bus that said “Leave your car home and ride this bus” and I thought it was funny. They are telling people to use public transportation but the (subway) system is a mess. Damn near everyday you hear about a signal issue and my question is how do politicians and etc expect more people to use the system when the system is plagued with numerous issues all the time? I swear if it ain’t a signal problem or equipment failure, then it’s a train traffic or a merging issue.

Right. I either experience this on the subway  firsthand or get email alerts for it…

On 9/24/2021 at 12:50 PM, paulrivera said:

And if it's not that, it's "Longer waits because we're running as much service as we can with the train operators we have available"

…and I experience this regularly with the express bus. The MTA is being caught flat footed by multiple signal/switch problems (two switch problems at Queens Plaza alone this past week) and lack of people to drive the buses. How can they expect people to come back if they can’t get these issues under control?

23 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Because the (D) also has trash gaps, especially now that (D) trains are limited even further with trains terminating at Bay 50 St. You could be on West End and see only 1 (D) trains running around when going to Manhattan and back. Then the next trains that's supposed to arrive might not arrive in the next 30 minutes. Even during normal weekdays, you'll still end up seeing more (A)(B), and (N) trains running around. You'll get like 3 (B) trains coming in first before a (D), sometimes the (A), and definitely the (N). As much as I wouldn't mind them running local along CPW to help out the (C), I feel doing that would make it worse for both lines because the (C) would still have to deal with the (D) running around, that's just my experience. 

Agreed that sending the (D) local to cover for the lack of (C) trains might not be all that helpful for the (D) line overall (especially since they already often send it local in Brooklyn to cover for the (R)). Probably the only real short-term solution here is to boost (C) service, which ran on garbage headways long before the pandemic, so they can’t blame it entirely on that.

• Replies 30.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since when did subway service completely go to crap after 9PM?

20-30! min wait is now the new normal when it comes to waiting for a train during this time. Forget about transferring because its another 15-20 minute wait.

I waited 26 minutes for the (7) once at midnight. Following train is 34 minutes

Granted there is an operator shortage, but couldn't the (MTA) spread out the trains a bit better. 

I noticed the SMEE's assigned to CI yard (R46 and R68/68A) are MUCH louder than their counterparts assigned to Pikin (R46) and Concourse (R68). When a CI SMEE pulls into a station it literally sounds like an earthquake is happening, while (A) and (D) line SMEEs are much more quieter and normal sounding.

I heard that when the Jamaica - CI swap first happened, CI barn shop forces were NOT happy about the swap as basically it requires more work to inspect an R46 vs the R160s. In other words, it made CI car inspector jobs harder. Which leads me to believe the reason the CI SMEE's have the naggy little problems they have is because they are simply not maintaining them as well as they are capable of, While Concourse and Pikin still maintains their SMEE fleets really well hence why you never see any issues with them.

This theory is much more believable IMO than that theories of "low spare factor" and "they run 24/7" and bringing the R32s back wouldn't solve a thing. I've heard this from two different people.

Edited by trainfan22

58 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I noticed the SMEE's assigned to CI yard (R46 and R68/68A) are MUCH louder than their counterparts assigned to Pikin (R46) and Concourse (R68). When a CI SMEE pulls into a station it literally sounds like an earthquake is happening, while (A) and (D) line SMEEs are much more quieter and normal sounding.

I heard that when the Jamaica - CI swap first happened, CI barn shop forces were NOT happy about the swap as basically it requires more work to inspect an R46 vs the R160s. In other words, it made CI car inspector jobs harder. Which leads me to believe the reason the CI SMEE's have the naggy little problems they have is because they are simply not maintaining them as well as they are capable of, While Concourse and Pikin still maintains their SMEE fleets really well hence why you never see any issues with them.

This theory is much more believable IMO than that theories of "low spare factor" and "they run 24/7" and bringing the R32s back wouldn't solve a thing. I've heard this from two different people.

Dude CI is or was one of the best barns in the system and had various types of equipment before the R160's including those garbage ass CI rebuilt R42's. So That is a bunch of bullshit. The only thing I can get is that they never had the R46's and they are not used to them but that still doesn't excuse the fact they run like shit.

The "Lets Blame Jamaica" is starting to get tired. 

Also The (A) is one line so it's much easier to get to the issues and on top of that they have R179's and the (C) uses 9 R46's which lays up at night. Pitkin got R46's from Jamaica back in 2009 and they fixed them up as time went on and they didn't run like shit. CI had these cars for almost 2 years now so there's no excuse.

CI runs R46's on the (G)(N)(Q) 24/7 with the (Q) using the majority of the fleet. Spreading one of the oldest cars on 4 different lines is going to cause issues. The CI R68's aren't bad, The Concourse ones run like dogs but not as bad as people would think. The only issue at CI is the R46's.

When the (J) / (Z) had the R32's, They also had back up fleet and that made them think outside the box by putting R143 spares on the (J) / (Z) along with the R32,42.R160 spares. This is why the R32's at ENY was not as bad since you guessed it, A healthy amount of spares plus increasing the R32 spare factor at ENY. CI barely has that hence the original plan to keep 110 R32's for the (A) to push more R46's to CI which didn't happen.  

The R211's are doing great when it comes to testing so all of these problems will be solved once the production cars start trucking in after the 30 day test (if the R211's Pass the test.)

Edited by R32 3838

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Dude CI is or was one of the best barns in the system and had various types of equipment before the R160's including those garbage ass CI rebuilt R42's. So That is a bunch of bullshit. The only thing I can get is that they never had the R46's and they are not used to them but that still doesn't excuse the fact they run like shit.

The "Lets Blame Jamaica" is starting to get tired. 

Also The (A) is one line so it's much easier to get to the issues and on top of that they have R179's and the (C) uses 9 R46's which lays up at night. Pitkin got R46's from Jamaica back in 2009 and they fixed them up as time went on and they didn't run like shit. CI had these cars for almost 2 years now so there's no excuse.

CI runs R46's on the (G)(N)(Q) 24/7 with the (Q) using the majority of the fleet. Spreading one of the oldest cars on 4 different lines is going to cause issues. The CI R68's aren't bad, The Concourse ones run like dogs but not as bad as people would think. The only issue at CI is the R46's.

When the (J) / (Z) had the R32's, They also had back up fleet and that made them think outside the box by putting R143 spares on the (J) / (Z) along with the R32,42.R160 spares. This is why the R32's at ENY was not as bad since you guessed it, A healthy amount of spares plus increasing the R32 spare factor at ENY. CI barely has that hence the original plan to keep 110 R32's for the (A) to push more R46's to CI which didn't happen.  

The R211's are doing great when it comes to testing so all of these problems will be solved once the production cars start trucking in after the 30 day test (if the R211's Pass the test.)

Well duh of course they had multiple car classes before the 160s those were SMEE fleets, not NTT. Before the R160s, they didn't know of the NTT luxuries prior to the R160s coming there as the R160s is the first NTT fleet they ever had. 160s was the dominant fleet at CI for like a decade before they took them out and got a bunch of old R46s in return. Couple that with the fact that the R46s are retiring soon you have the situation with the CI R46s. 

Where did I blame Jamaica?

Running the R46 24/7 is not an issue, if they ran R32/42s 24/7 on the (J) and without much issue then they can run R46s 24/7 on the CI lines. 

Edited by trainfan22

On 9/24/2021 at 11:18 PM, Calvin said:

At least it's still going to/from 34 St-Hudson Yards. There is a weekend shutdown south of Queensboro Plaza having the (W) take its place due to track placement. 

Weekends is usually quick entering and leaving stations, not like the regular weekdays. 

The crowds are large, and dwell times are much longer than usual at every station between (and including) Willets Point and 74th Street. It definitely makes an impact. Those trains are also sardined, if you have to get on the train (if you can) between those two stations, you're gonna have to fit yourself in where possible.

Every super express helps, but even they're all packed. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Well duh of course they had multiple car classes before the 160s those were SMEE fleets, not NTT. Before the R160s, they didn't know of the NTT luxuries prior to the R160s coming there as the R160s is the first NTT fleet they ever had. 160s was the dominant fleet at CI for like a decade before they took them out and got a bunch of old R46s in return. Couple that with the fact that the R46s are retiring soon you have the situation with the CI R46s. 

Where did I blame Jamaica?

Running the R46 24/7 is not an issue, if they ran R32/42s 24/7 on the (J) and without much issue then they can run R46s 24/7 on the CI lines. 

If the (J) / (Z) were only R32's, It would have been a problem. The only reason why the R32's worked on the (J) / (Z) was because of the combined high spare factor of R32's,R42's,R143's and R160's. Without those spare cars it would have been problematic. Plus the (J) was a mixture of R32 (Mostly), R42,R143 and R160's.

CI has the R46's on 4 different lines, 3 of them 24/7. The (N) has the R160's to supplement the R46's, The (G)  has the r68's. The (Q) has nothing but at least 1 R68 or R68A, This is why the (Q) 's R46's are the worst ones.

If they went with the original plan by putting the r46's on the (B) with the (N)  / (W) having a chunk of them, This would be an non issue as the (B) is a weekday only line.

The Older the fleet the higher the Spare factor you'll need for that said fleet. This was why 207th st had 222 R32's even though the (C) used only 144 cars out of 222. It was because of the age of the R32's. They attempted to retire the R42's in 2012 by replacing them with SMS'ed R32's but they decided not to when the R32 performance didn't improve.  

When they did the (A) / (C) swap, The amount of R32's were not enough so they had to borrow 3 r46's from Jamaica and 2 R42's from ENY to keep the spare factor healthy.

Also I didn't say it was you who bashed Jamaica, I was just going on with all the people blaming Jamaica for the R46's shitty performance 

Edited by R32 3838

58 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The crowds are large, and dwell times are much longer than usual at every station between (and including) Willets Point and 74th Street. It definitely makes an impact. Those trains are also sardined, if you have to get on the train (if you can) between those two stations, you're gonna have to fit yourself in where possible.

Every super express helps, but even they're all packed. 

The upcoming weekend (7) shutdowns are going to be a nightmare, because the (N) right now is having very limited weekend service (trains had 20+ minute headways today, and actually almost daily for months now). I think even last time the (W) was scheduled for weekend service, they couldn't even run it at 20 minute headways along with the (N) 's 12-minute headways because of the crew shortages.

7 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

If the (J) / (Z) were only R32's, It would have been a problem. The only reason why the R32's worked on the (J) / (Z) was because of the combined high spare factor of R32's,R42's,R143's and R160's. Without those spare cars it would have been problematic. Plus the (J) was a mixture of R32 (Mostly), R42,R143 and R160's.

CI has the R46's on 4 different lines, 3 of them 24/7. The (N) has the R160's to supplement the R46's, The (G)  has the r68's. The (Q) has nothing but at least 1 R68 or R68A, This is why the (Q) 's R46's are the worst ones.

If they went with the original plan by putting the r46's on the (B) with the (N)  / (W) having a chunk of them, This would be an non issue as the (B) is a weekday only line.

The Older the fleet the higher the Spare factor you'll need for that said fleet. This was why 207th st had 222 R32's even though the (C) used only 144 cars out of 222. It was because of the age of the R32's. They attempted to retire the R42's in 2012 by replacing them with SMS'ed R32's but they decided not to when the R32 performance didn't improve.  

When they did the (A) / (C) swap, The amount of R32's were not enough so they had to borrow 3 r46's from Jamaica and 2 R42's from ENY to keep the spare factor healthy.

Also I didn't say it was you who bashed Jamaica, I was just going on with all the people blaming Jamaica for the R46's shitty performance 

Coney Island's problem is exactly that! the low spare factor. The (B)(N) and (Q) each have a spare factor of 4.5 trains (which is very low compared to Jamaica's 7 train spare factor each for the (E)(F) and (R) each). The R46's use could be slightly reduced by implementing the following temporary changes while the R211's begin to take hold.

Yard Moves:

1. R160B cars 9803-9852 transferred from Jamaica to Coney Island

2. 16 R46 cars swapped out from Coney Island to Pitkin Yard

3. 8 R68 cars transferred out from Coney Island to Concourse

Service / train trip adjustments to account for yard moves:

1. <F> express temporarily put on hiatus (which would have the added benefit of giving consistent headways on the (F)), reducing the (F) train needs from 46 trains to 44 trains.

2. The 96 St (R) trip could be operated using an R46 put-in from Coney Island Yard, and then remain on the (Q) as needed. This train would never enter CBTC territory and therefore could use an R46.

3. Run the (G) train using all R46s (52 cars needed + 20 spare cars) = 72 cars needed for this fleet. 

4. Run the newly acquired R160Bs (total of 9803 thru 9942) on the (N) (14 trains / 140 cars) in addition to the currently assigned 144 R46 cars (+ 40 R46 spare factor)

5. Transfer all R68/r68A cars assigned to the (G) and (N) to the (Q).

Car assignments would look as follows

(E)(F) and (R) still have all R160s

(N) - 160 R46s + 120 R160s (+ 20 spare R160s & 32 spare R46s)

(Q) - 80 R46s + 88 R68s (+ 16 spare R68s & 24 spare R46s)

(G) - 52 R46 cars (+ 16 spare R46s)

The 16 transferred R46s can slightly bolster the spare factor for the (A) and (C) trains, which now must share the Pitkin Pool of R46s since the retirement of the R32s.

The 8 transferred R68s can be used to improve the spare factor on the (D) from 4.5 trains to 5.5 trains

The benefits of this move would be that now the high-demand (Q) line will not run exclusively R46s that must run the same headways all 7 days of the week throughout the daytime / evening hours, with only 2 trains added for rush hour headways, and the spare factor was slightly increased (by one train). The Astoria roll-sign issues will be solved by pulling their R68s and swapping them to the (Q). Running the (G) with R46s will help keep their mileage low because of the low frequency + short route. Keeping a sizable amount of R46s (roughly 60% of the (N) fleet) can work for now on a temporary basis because of the weekday (W) train, allowing train sets to be shuffled in and out of service between weekdays and weekends, and of course, the Ditmars Blvd route swap between the (N) / (W) 's cars. The R160s help offset the (N)'s R46s and the R68s help offset the (Q) 's R46s. 

Weekends, things should be a bit more fluid (especially those weekends when the (F) is cut off from Coney Island, or even using some of the (R) 's out-of-service R160s (even if it is just 2-3 trains) to allow more R46s time in the repair shop. Literally every day I see 2-3 R46s with a dead motor or warning light on one of the cars in the 8-car train set on my short commute time from Astoria to Manhattan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it if two warning lights come on on two different cars in the same full length train, the train must be removed from service at the end of the run, but if a third light comes on, the train must be pulled right then and there?

16 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Coney Island's problem is exactly that! the low spare factor. The (B)(N) and (Q) each have a spare factor of 4.5 trains (which is very low compared to Jamaica's 7 train spare factor each for the (E)(F) and (R) each). The R46's use could be slightly reduced by implementing the following temporary changes while the R211's begin to take hold.

Yard Moves:

1. <F> express temporarily put on hiatus (which would have the added benefit of giving consistent headways on the (F)), reducing the (F) train needs from 46 trains to 44 trains.

2. The 96 St (R) trip could be operated using an R46 put-in from Coney Island Yard, and then remain on the (Q) as needed. This train would never enter CBTC territory and therefore could use an R46.

3. Run the (G) train using all R46s (52 cars needed + 20 spare cars) = 72 cars needed for this fleet. 

4. Run the newly acquired R160Bs (total of 9803 thru 9942) on the (N) (14 trains / 140 cars) in addition to the currently assigned 144 R46 cars (+ 40 R46 spare factor)

The 16 transferred R46s can slightly bolster the spare factor for the (A) and (C) trains, which now must share the Pitkin Pool of R46s since the retirement of the R32s.

The 8 transferred R68s can be used to improve the spare factor on the (D) from 4.5 trains to 5.5 trains

Weekends, things should be a bit more fluid (especially those weekends when the (F) is cut off from Coney Island, or even using some of the (R) 's out-of-service R160s (even if it is just 2-3 trains) to allow more R46s time in the repair shop. Literally every day I see 2-3 R46s with a dead motor or warning light on one of the cars in the 8-car train set on my short commute time from Astoria to Manhattan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it if two warning lights come on on two different cars in the same full length train, the train must be removed from service at the end of the run, but if a third light comes on, the train must be pulled right then and there?

As much as I was thinking more R160s should be on the (N)(W) to reduce the amount of R46 or R68/As running over the Astoria line, the problem with Queens Blvd is that they need at least 118-120 10-car trains. They can't send any more of their R160s b/c with CBTC, amount of trains require more than they need like the (7)<7> Flushing line: went from 33 (pre-CBTC) to 38 trains. 

If they need an R160 (Coney Island) due to problems on the 75 footers, they can, but must be brought back as soon as possible. Even on weekends, the (R) has plenty of spare R160s at Coney Island. Those are needed though, b.c the train op and conductor needs those trains for put-in service that starts the day around 3 AM. Also, their put-ins also occur during the day.

Could say that the remaining R160s that's used on Astoria line reduced some confusion. During the rush, you may see a (W) to Whitehall St or (N) vice versa to have its rear sign as a counterpart of the line. 

Edited by Calvin

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

As much as I was thinking more R160s should be on the (N)(W) to reduce the amount of R46 or R68/As running over the Astoria line, the problem with Queens Blvd is that they need at least 118-120 10-car trains. They can't send any more of their R160s b/c with CBTC, amount of trains require more than they need like the (7)<7> Flushing line: went from 33 (pre-CBTC) to 38 trains. 

If they need an R160 (Coney Island) due to problems on the 75 footers, they can, but must be brought back as soon as possible. Even on weekends, the (R) has plenty of spare R160s at Coney Island. Those are needed though, b.c the train op and conductor needs those trains for put-in service that starts the day around 3 AM. Also, their put-ins also occur during the day.

Could say that the remaining R160s that's used on Astoria line reduced some confusion. During the rush, you may see a (W) to Whitehall St or (N) vice versa to have its rear sign as a counterpart of the line. 

I am aware that the spare factor needs to be high because of CBTC, which is why I recommended the selected removal of the <F> and 96 St (R) trips (in case of the (R) just use an R46 since it will not touch Queens Blvd, and since the (R) AM put ins come from Coney Island anyways), and those freed up R160s get transferred. The spare favor would still be 7 trains per line for the (E)(F) and (R).

The (7) and <7> daily requirement Increases are due to direct service increases but the (E)(F) and (R) ones aren’t. I think it’s because of increased running times because of holds, which also needs to be looked at. Also remember that because of the previous weeks’s R46s undergoing SMS, Jamaica did lend out 20-30 R160s to Coney Island so that the (Q) could let it’s R46s get to SMS, and not interfere with the (N)‘s pool of R160s. I’m just saying it is possible to do the move without impacting spare factor. Running times need to be looked at and schedules need to be adjusted slightly (which in the case of the (F) will not leave 10 minute gaps at the Park Slope local stops because of the <F> ).

to even keep R68s on the Astoria lines, maybe each car could have one rollsign set to the (N) and one to the (W), and alternate sides where the rollsign displays the (N) route and (W) route, so that way only the front and rear signs need to be changed and announcements would be made along the route. Under my proposal this wouldn’t be needed because the R68s would be moved to the (Q) being displaced with the additional R160s. But in the interim, it’s something to look at especially with the R68s. At this point, NO main line should be exclusively R46s  because of their dip in reliability. Again the (G) has the help of the short route and ability to use the 4-car sets, so it’s easier to find a spare.

the (A) and (C) each have R179s, the (N) would have the R160s, and the (Q) would have the R68s to offset the balance, and ensure that the majority of the R46s run mainly weekdays. Another point in Coney Islands favor is the availability of the (B)‘s R68As and the (F)(R) ‘s R160s (again only some from each spare pool), to give additional R46s a rest. It’s almost the equivalent of running the (B) with R46s because they would only tun weekdays with the advantage of not having to train (B) crews and Concourse Yard how to operate and maintain. 

Edited by darkstar8983

10 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yard Moves:

(Q) - 80 R46s + 88 R68s (+ 16 spare R68s & 24 spare R46s)

(G) - 52 R46 cars (+ 16 spare R46s)

The benefits of this move would be that now the high-demand (Q) line will not run exclusively R46s that must run the same headways all 7 days of the week throughout the daytime / evening hours, with only 2 trains added for rush hour headways, and the spare factor was slightly increased (by one train). The Astoria roll-sign issues will be solved by pulling their R68s and swapping them to the (Q). Running the (G) with R46s will help keep their mileage low because of the low frequency + short route. Keeping a sizable amount of R46s (roughly 60% of the (N) fleet) can work for now on a temporary basis because of the weekday (W) train, allowing train sets to be shuffled in and out of service between weekdays and weekends, and of course, the Ditmars Blvd route swap between the (N) / (W) 's cars. The R160s help offset the (N)'s R46s and the R68s help offset the (Q) 's R46s. 

Can't remove those 9800's from Jamaica. CBTC requires a higher spare factor. If They lose more R160's, Reliability would Tank. 

Everything is assigned the way it is for a reason. You can't really move anything else until the first R211 is officially in service.

On 9/25/2021 at 1:02 PM, Mtatransit said:

Since when did subway service completely go to crap after 9PM?

20-30! min wait is now the new normal when it comes to waiting for a train during this time. Forget about transferring because its another 15-20 minute wait.

I waited 26 minutes for the (7) once at midnight. Following train is 34 minutes

Granted there is an operator shortage, but couldn't the (MTA) spread out the trains a bit better. 

The way I heard it, the order of events is roughly this.

• SAS Phase I was in danger of being (more) delayed. Cuomo all of a sudden started getting interested in subway and train projects (previously focused on the Tappan Zee and some bridge lights) and so pulled resources away from maintenance to opening the subway.
  • After Phase I opens is when the subway reliability really starts going to hell, so then we have the Subway Action Plan, which among other things started GOs a lot earlier (I think moving from midnight to 10PM.) This has somehow become the new normal.

On 9/26/2021 at 12:11 AM, R32 3838 said:

I ride the (Q) one or two days a week. I’ve seen 5-6 sets of R68s or R68As with one set of R160s on the line.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

I ride the (Q) one or two days a week. I’ve seen 5-6 sets of R68s or R68As with one set of R160s on the line.

So many Coney Island R46s I’ve seen these past few weeks have the warning light / inspection needed light on in one car of the train set, even more so now on the (N). I think it is rare to see an R46 set without one now. The spare factor needs to increase, because clearly these cars need more time in the shops.

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

So many Coney Island R46s I’ve seen these past few weeks have the warning light / inspection needed light on in one car of the train set, even more so now on the (N). I think it is rare to see an R46 set without one now. The spare factor needs to increase, because clearly these cars need more time in the shops.

The reason why you hardly see me post anymore is not only because of how boring and lame this site is as well as how dumb some of these users (I’m speaking in general) really are, but also because of my lack of interest in this dumb agency anyway. I’m not defending this agency for their shenanigans but then again, some people can’t handle criticism towards this agency. Oh well lmaoooooo. 🤣🤣

The only thing I can fully understand/accept is the crew shortage due to the pandemic tragically taking away so many lives. Now that being said, yeah, not surprised. No wonder why I’ve been seeing more and more R68s and R68As out on the (Q) recently. But then you got these R46 (N)(Q)(W) foamers in general telling us to suck it up and deal with it. Lmaoooo. 🤣🤣 Can’t wait for the R211s to hit the rails.

@R32 3838, I wouldn’t go back and fourth with @trainfan22 if I were you. He’s clearly thick minded lol. Let him keep talking. 😜🤪

Edited by Jemorie

Why should I listen to yall, none of you work in Car Equipment and nethier do I. Yall are not experts on railcar maintenance and most likely have no idea of what you're talking about. 

Contributors to this hobby who do know people in car equipment have said what I mentioned in my first post in this sub topic. I value their prospective over yall. The R32 need to come back/spare factor is low blah blah blah foamers are like anti vaxxers at this point, they may have a voice but that doesn't mean we should listen to them😆

Just be glad the R46 takes you from point A to Point B. They may have dead motors but the cars still get you to your destination. Also last I checked subway car breakdowns are a drop in the bucket compared to other issues, from checking the subway performance dashboard.

59 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Why should I listen to yall, none of you work in Car Equipment and nethier do I. Yall are not experts on railcar maintenance and most likely have no idea of what you're talking about. 

Contributors to this hobby who do know people in car equipment have said what I mentioned in my first post in this sub topic. I value their prospective over yall. The R32 need to come back/spare factor is low blah blah blah foamers are like anti vaxxers at this point, they may have a voice but that doesn't mean we should listen to them😆

Just be glad the R46 takes you from point A to Point B. They may have dead motors but the cars still get you to your destination. Also last I checked subway car breakdowns are a drop in the bucket compared to other issues, from checking the subway performance dashboard.

Okay R46 foamer. Don’t start crying like a baby when your precious 1970s cars retire from service for good when the R211s take over. 🤣🤣🤣

37 minutes ago, Theli11 said:

What is wrong with you?

What’s wrong with @trainfan22 lol.

This (MTA) lover boy and anyone else who agree with him simply cannot do math. Also, if Coney Island Yard’s inspectors/maintainers are not capable of handling the R46s, why not assigned those from Jamaica to Coney Island and vice-versa? Jamaica Yard’s maintainers/inspectors have handled the R46s for many years before they were moved out of Jamaica Yard as a whole anyway…

Edited by Jemorie

This (MTA) lover boy and anyone else who agree with him simply cannot do math. Also, if Coney Island Yard’s inspectors/maintainers are not capable of handling the R46s, why not assigned those from Jamaica to Coney Island and vice-versa? Jamaica Yard’s maintainers/inspectors have handled the R46s for many years before they were moved out of Jamaica Yard as a whole anyway…

I’ve been retired for years but I’m not sure if the Car Equipment folks can be assigned to a specific location. That used to be up to a worker’s seniority. The person picked their location and tours.  Has that been changed ? Carry on.

CI inspectors ARE capable of maintaining the R46s, the R46s would be a lot worse if they wasn't, nobody said they weren't capable of servicing them. The R46 is more labor intensive than a R160 to inspect/service so they aren't servicing them as good as they are capable of cause they don't wanna do the extra work I guess, who knows. Each barn in the system has a different culture with their shop forces. Some barns don't mind the old cars (207th barn liked the R32s for example)

You are such a child, the MTA is criticized on here all the time and I don't defend them. I just think yall is wrong based on the info I've read on this topic.

Those who agree with me can't do math.. you saying NYCT management doesn't know what they are doing in regards to car assignments? The main thing keeping them from making service most days is crew stortages, not subway car breakdowns. They are not gonna bring the R32s back or cut service because some R46 sets has some dead motors.