Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Those who agree with me can't do math.. you saying NYCT management doesn't know what they are doing in regards to car assignments? The main thing keeping them from making service most days is crew stortages, not subway car breakdowns. They are not gonna bring the R32s back or cut service because some R46 sets has some dead motors.

Who said anything about cutting service? Lol this man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 26.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Someone suggested cutting the <F> to send more R160s to CI on the last page, try and follow the sub thread...

Okay? But that has nothing to do with my own posts though, so go off I guess lol.

I never condone cutting service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to be this person saying the R46s on the (N) and (W) are a terrible choice for the NYC Transit but sometimes, them being on Astoria is sort of confusing during the rush hour. 

Waiting at Times Sq-42 St, there was a (W) to Whitehall St front/back, R46. However, the rear of the train says (N) with all LCD signs as (W). Passenger asked another passenger if it was an (N) but, says it's a (W) . The passenger was confused b/c of how the rear has an (N) thinking it's an (N) taking him to Brooklyn. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

Not to be this person saying the R46s on the (N) and (W) are a terrible choice for the NYC Transit but sometimes, them being on Astoria is sort of confusing during the rush hour. 

Waiting at Times Sq-42 St, there was a (W) to Whitehall St front/back, R46. However, the rear of the train says (N) with all LCD signs as (W). Passenger asked another passenger if it was an (N) but, says it's a (W) . The passenger was confused b/c of how the rear has an (N) thinking it's an (N) taking him to Brooklyn. 

Even worse is when you see the train as having all (Q) signs and it being the (N) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Besides the dumb immature comments by certain users. These R46's at CI are terrible we can all agree to that.

 

I might not agree with trainfan22 but I'm not gonna insult him or others over this shit. People have the right to share their thoughts on here even if we don't agree with one another.

 

Anyway, They need to figure out a solution because this isn't it. Imo they should just use the (F) and (R) R160 lay ups on the weekends.

 

I keep telling folks, Jamaica knew how to run those R46's because 90% of the were on the (R) while the rest were on the (F) for the rush hours and the (R) only runs between Whitehall and 95th at night meaning 90% of the fleet is laid up . Now you have them at CI on the  (G)  (N)(Q) & (W) lines meaning they are going to run more. That's why they run like garbage.

 

People need to stop pretending that these cars are the best because now all of a sudden people like the R46's but before no one gave a damn about them just like the R32's when the rest of the 60 foot SMEE's were running.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Besides the dumb immature comments by certain users. These R46's at CI are terrible we can all agree to that.

 

I might not agree with trainfan22 but I'm not gonna insult him or others over this shit. People have the right to share their thoughts on here even if we don't agree with one another.

 

Anyway, They need to figure out a solution because this isn't it. Imo they should just use the (F) and (R) R160 lay ups on the weekends.

 

I keep telling folks, Jamaica knew how to run those R46's because 90% of the were on the (R) while the rest were on the (F) for the rush hours and the (R) only runs between Whitehall and 95th at night meaning 90% of the fleet is laid up . Now you have them at CI on the  (G)  (N)(Q) & (W) lines meaning they are going to run more. That's why they run like garbage.

 

People need to stop pretending that these cars are the best because now all of a sudden people like the R46's but before no one gave a damn about them just like the R32's when the rest of the 60 foot SMEE's were running.

Yes, 1/3 of the (F) fleet was R46s and typically ran hours only, as the Kings Highway short-turns or were pulled out of service after the PM rush. The (R) otherwise had the entire R46 fleet to itself, and weekends, even used some of the (E) and (F)‘s R160s, which minimized use of the R46s even further. Now at Coney Island this is not possible. Pitkin’s R46s also have it slightly better because the weekend (A) service is much more limited and the R179s are used as much as (N) uses its R160s and R68s in place of the R46s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yes, 1/3 of the (F) fleet was R46s and typically ran hours only, as the Kings Highway short-turns or were pulled out of service after the PM rush. The (R) otherwise had the entire R46 fleet to itself, and weekends, even used some of the (E) and (F)‘s R160s, which minimized use of the R46s even further. Now at Coney Island this is not possible. Pitkin’s R46s also have it slightly better because the weekend (A) service is much more limited and the R179s are used as much as (N) uses its R160s and R68s in place of the R46s

Let’s see what will become of the (N)(Q)(W) fleets in the next year or two.

R46s overall suck anyway and I look forward to their eventual retirement in the future. And when they do indeed retire, these buffs will be mad. The same can even be said for the R62As on the (6) I might add.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Besides the dumb immature comments by certain users. These R46's at CI are terrible we can all agree to that.

 

I might not agree with trainfan22 but I'm not gonna insult him or others over this shit. People have the right to share their thoughts on here even if we don't agree with one another.

 

Anyway, They need to figure out a solution because this isn't it. Imo they should just use the (F) and (R) R160 lay ups on the weekends.

 

I keep telling folks, Jamaica knew how to run those R46's because 90% of the were on the (R) while the rest were on the (F) for the rush hours and the (R) only runs between Whitehall and 95th at night meaning 90% of the fleet is laid up . Now you have them at CI on the  (G)  (N)(Q) & (W) lines meaning they are going to run more. That's why they run like garbage.

 

People need to stop pretending that these cars are the best because now all of a sudden people like the R46's but before no one gave a damn about them just like the R32's when the rest of the 60 foot SMEE's were running.

I was going to suggest the idea of swapping the Concourse R68s with an equal number of CI R46s, so then assigning R46s to the part-time (B) and storing them in Concourse during overnight and weekend hours would no longer be an issue because the (D) would then have the same cars (which has come up numerous times in this thread about why Transit doesn’t want R46s on the (B)). But then you’d likely have to have a lot more R68s on the (N) and (W) and there would be problems with incorrectly signed trains leaving Ditmars Blvd (as if there aren’t enough incorrectly signed trains already).

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

Let’s see what will become of the (N)(Q)(W) fleets in the next year or two.

R46s overall suck anyway and I look forward to their eventual retirement in the future. And when they do indeed retire, these buffs will be mad. The same can even be said for the R62As on the (6) I might add.

Yes. I liked the R46s too, for decades. They and the R44s were the closest thing we ever had to a “Metrorail”-type of train. They had a less-choppy ride than the newer R68/68As. But I agree that their time to retire has come. They can’t stay in service forever. We don’t still have GMC Fishbowl buses still running in regular service or taxi drivers roaming around in Checker cabs. We don’t expect them to, do we? So to the buffs, why should we still have half-century old subway cars still in service? Tell me, why must it be different with trains?

As for the R62As, I do seem to recall all lot of people on here being unhappy with them being sent back to the (6) after its R142As were retrofitted with CBTC technology and sent to the (7). I get the feeling regular (6) line riders won’t miss the R62As, especially those tiny orange seats. Whose “brilliant” idea was that? At least they could have replaced them with orange benches over the years, but they never bothered, except for a few R62s on the (3). I don’t know how many buffs are fans of the R62 class. I feel that the R62 cars don’t have quite as much charm as the R46 cars do, because the R62 cars are much more utilitarian, especially  on the inside. They always were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Let’s see what will become of the (N)(Q)(W) fleets in the next year or two.

R46s overall suck anyway and I look forward to their eventual retirement in the future. And when they do indeed retire, these buffs will be mad. The same can even be said for the R62As on the (6) I might add.

 

CI will be stuck with those R46's until at least 2026. Pitkin will be the first to lose their R46's. Unless things change, The entire base order of R211A's will be going to Pitkin. Option Order I cars will likely be Jamaica or CI . Option II cars we don't know yet but (MTA) wants the R211's on lines that have CBTC which is Queens Blvd and upcoming 8th ave CBTC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

especially those tiny orange seats. Whose “brilliant” idea was that? At least they could have replaced them with orange benches over the years, but they never bothered, except for a few R62s on the (3). I don’t know how many buffs are fans of the R62 class. I feel that the R62 cars don’t have quite as much charm as the R46 cars do, because the R62 cars are much more utilitarian, especially  on the inside. They always were.

Yes. Cars #1587–1591 are the only ones in the entire R62 fleet to feature orange/yellow bench seating. I wish every R62 and R62A had those. I also wish all the half-width cabs on all R62, R62A, R68, and R68A cars were removed to allow for more seats per car. Heck, I even wish they all had the brighter lighting like most of the R62As and most of Coney Island's R46s do as well.

As far as why people are fans of the R62s (and/or R62As), I assume it's because of their speed, I guess? They're alright IMO. I still dislike the (6) / (7) swap similar to the R46 / R160 car swap for obvious reasons, though.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Option II cars we don't know yet but (MTA) wants the R211's on lines that have CBTC which is Queens Blvd and upcoming 8th ave CBTC.

All of the five-car R160s have CBTC already for Queens Blvd. That's why they did this swap thing. The age of the CBTC system on those cars are still brand new and were made for Queens Blvd unless someone else says anything differently. Otherwise, the (N)(Q)(W) would have kept their R160s and the (R) would have stayed mostly to all R46s until they are retired by the R211s.

Edited by Jemorie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting on the (Q) at Cortlandt St to Brighton Beach. After getting off at Brighton Beach, next train was 24 minutes away. Ouch. 

Before getting on, screens show arrival showing the (N) 6 minutes away with the (R) 14 minutes away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they should have waited to activate/install CBTC on Queens Blvd, especially when the pandemic was happening and ridership was low.

They wasted all this time to swap cars around just to swap them back when the R211's come in. It just isn't common sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the most part, I don’t mind if R160s do indeed head back to Coney Island in the future (keyword: I said if). Honestly, the fact that the R211s are gonna have wider doors shows that they are better off being on lines with more ridership anyway.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Yes. Cars #1587–1591 are the only ones in the entire R62 fleet to feature orange/yellow bench seating. I wish every R62 and R62A had those. I also wish all the half-width cabs on all R62, R62A, R68, and R68A cars were removed to allow for more seats per car. Heck, I even wish they all had the brighter lighting like most of the R62As and most of Coney Island's R46s do as well.

As far as why people are fans of the R62s (and/or R62As), I assume it's because of their speed, I guess? They're alright IMO. I still dislike the (6) / (7) swap similar to the R46 / R160 car swap for obvious reasons, though.

All of the five-car R160s have CBTC already for Queens Blvd. That's why they did this swap thing. The age of the CBTC system on those cars are still brand new and were made for Queens Blvd unless someone else says anything differently. Otherwise, the (N)(Q)(W) would have kept their R160s and the (R) would have stayed mostly to all R46s until they are retired by the R211s.

 

 

The CBTC in those R160's (8377-9942) (9943-74 I don't think has CBTC yet) are going to be compatible with any upcoming CBTC lines in the future Just like the R211's and soon to be R179's.

 

The (E) runs on 8th ave, The next line to get CBTC is 8th ave. Meaning the R160's have to be compatible with 8th ave CBTC as well. It's NOT just for Queens Blvd. 

They Did the Swap because CBTC was 85% complete and now CBTC is Active on most of the parts of Queens Blvd plus They made Jamaica 100% R160's so they can train everyone from Crews to yards on CBTC. The R211's are not to far off from an R160 as well.

 

Also with the R211's Open Gangway, The (E)(F) would be best suited for these cars since they have the Highest ridership in the B division.

 

None of the CI lines except the (B)(G) are not getting CBTC so soon. Astoria CBTC was delayed (Thank God, It made no sense. Should be Ditmars to at least Canal st.) so the (N)(Q)(W) might be stuck with older equipment a little bit longer. It makes sense to send the R160's back because once 6th ave CBTC is active, Those R160's would have to go to the (B).

 

The (7) was always meant to get tech trains, The Reason why they didn't was because of clearance issues and the fact at the time Corona Barn was outdated and needed to be replaced. The (6) / (7) swap didn't really have that much an affect since 2nd ave was going to open up anyway. Westchester never wanted to be fully R142A, They were pissed when they had to give up their R62A's but at the time it made sense for Lexington to be 100% R142/A. 

 

 

 

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they should have waited to activate/install CBTC on Queens Blvd, especially when the pandemic was happening and ridership was low.

They wasted all this time to swap cars around just to swap them back when the R211's come in. It just isn't common sense.

 

 

Jamaica Might not get the R211's until the 2nd option order, 4-5 years after the line went 100% R160's.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by R32 3838
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think when the TA decides to send everything express in a certain direction on Queens Blvd they should compensate by at least sending either the (E) or (F) or both local in the other direction to help out the (R). It's a real pain to wait for a every 12-15 minute (R) train to go backwards then wait for something going the way you're actually trying to go. At least with a second local or all three being local your wait times get reduced. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@R32 3838, sorry but the 2nd Ave Subway is only three stops. That’s nothing. Plus, the (MTA) used the opening of said line as an excuse to reduce (6) service during rush hours and I think middays as well. And before the pandemic, the R62As caused lots of delays during rush hours on the (6) due to their narrow doors. Combine that with the reduce headways and it was a award for disaster. Yeah, Flushing needed aging signals replaced with CBTC, but honestly…

As for the rest of your post, well, I guess it’s too good to be true. Guess the (N)(W)(Q) will have to continue putting up with junky old cars for many more years then. 😑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The MTA seems to have the color, black as the default background color of the route strip maps. From R142, R142A, R143  and R188, currently, there is a (3) train with an updated map in the color, black showing the updated transfer at Times Square showing the (B)(D)(F)(M) 6 Av line and the Junius St station showing the transfer available to the (L) train. 

 

The R62As on the (1) and (6) also have strip maps in the color, black. 

Edited by Calvin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What Yards Should the (R) and (F) Be in Jam or Coney Island?

the (M) Is Useless the Brown (M) Was More Useful yes I wan from from Middle Village to 71 av faster then a <M> that went Express the whole way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

An defective R142A car from a few weeks ago, no idea what's wrong with this car. The strip map and both electronic displays in the celling are messed up.

 

 

Thats its Test Mode someone code broke it to show its Test Mode

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

 

 

The CBTC in those R160's (8377-9942) (9943-74 I don't think has CBTC yet) are going to be compatible with any upcoming CBTC lines in the future Just like the R211's and soon to be R179's.

 

The (E) runs on 8th ave, The next line to get CBTC is 8th ave. Meaning the R160's have to be compatible with 8th ave CBTC as well. It's NOT just for Queens Blvd. 

They Did the Swap because CBTC was 85% complete and now CBTC is Active on most of the parts of Queens Blvd plus They made Jamaica 100% R160's so they can train everyone from Crews to yards on CBTC. The R211's are not to far off from an R160 as well.

 

Also with the R211's Open Gangway, The (E)(F) would be best suited for these cars since they have the Highest ridership in the B division.

 

None of the CI lines except the (B)(G) are not getting CBTC so soon. Astoria CBTC was delayed (Thank God, It made no sense. Should be Ditmars to at least Canal st.) so the (N)(Q)(W) might be stuck with older equipment a little bit longer. It makes sense to send the R160's back because once 6th ave CBTC is active, Those R160's would have to go to the (B).

 

The (7) was always meant to get tech trains, The Reason why they didn't was because of clearance issues and the fact at the time Corona Barn was outdated and needed to be replaced. The (6) / (7) swap didn't really have that much an affect since 2nd ave was going to open up anyway. Westchester never wanted to be fully R142A, They were pissed when they had to give up their R62A's but at the time it made sense for Lexington to be 100% R142/A. 

 

 

 

 

 

Jamaica Might not get the R211's until the 2nd option order, 4-5 years after the line went 100% R160's.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why is that? All of (MTA) priorities are backwards right now.

The (A) can continue using the R46's until the option order comes in, send the first base order to Queens Blvd to bump out the R160's back to CI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jason Train said:

What Yards Should the (R) and (F) Be in Jam or Coney Island?

the (M) Is Useless the Brown (M) Was More Useful yes I wan from from Middle Village to 71 av faster then a <M> that went Express the whole way

the brown (brownM) isn't usually that useful and did cause some congestion when it's going to South Brooklyn. Unless Broad Street was a 2 Island 3 way track platform just like whitehall maybe it wouldn't caused much congestion. 4th Ave/ West End technically doesn't need the (brownM) It still runs good (eh (R) train gaps. a). They could've kept it in service if the MTA didn't made the (V) terminate at 2nd Ave and made it go Culver Express most of the time to terminate at Church Ave. (So Culver can be more reliable with both Local and Full Time Express Services). Bringing the (brownM) to Brooklyn two times doesn't make sense to me since you can easily go to Canal and take (N)(Q) or (R)(W) services.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.