SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

It is that serious, and that is my final say on this subject. That R211 order cannot get here fast enough to undo this clusterf*** the MTA has created. Making the (N) / (W) all R46s 🙄🙄🙄

You and other people getting pressed by the (N)(Q)(W) being fully 75 footers and mostly R46s. Y'all really don't get it.

IT'S JUST A TRAIN MODEL DUDE! DEAL WITH IT.

I really don't like the R46s on Broadway. But I don't take all seriousness and started crying all about it. It just makes me think y'all out here simping for a damn car that you like, No offense.

Get it together and accept the fact that its running on the N,Q,W lines being childish and acting stupid about isn't gonna change anything, Look at the R160 order. IT TAKES TIME TO DELIVER THEM ON SERVICE. 

I apologize that it took LONGER since the pandemic. But that's just the pandemic, Deal with the R46s. If not you can waste most of your time waiting for a damn R68/A on the line. You're literally not making this whole thing better. Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, Jacob said:

You and other people getting pressed by the (N)(Q)(W) being fully 75 footers and mostly R46s. Y'all really don't get it.

IT'S JUST A TRAIN MODEL DUDE! DEAL WITH IT.

I really don't like the R46s on Broadway. But I don't take all seriousness and started crying all about it. It just makes me think y'all out here simping for a damn car that you like, No offense.

Get it together and accept the fact that its running on the N,Q,W lines being childish and acting stupid about isn't gonna change anything, Look at the R160 order. IT TAKES TIME TO DELIVER THEM ON SERVICE. 

I apologize that it took LONGER since the pandemic. But that's just the pandemic, Deal with the R46s. If not you can waste most of your time waiting for a damn R68/A on the line. You're literally not making this whole thing better. Have a nice day.

Lol you getting pressed over different opinions about your precious R46s. And the R68/As are no better either. But at least the (B)(D) fleets have been consistent for the most part as well as the R68/As being a small fleet on the (N)(Q)(W) combined anyways, which is why for the most part, we say R46s.

Back off, dude. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Jemorie

28 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Lol you getting pressed over different opinions about your precious R46s. And the R68/As are no better either. But they are a small fleet on the (N)(Q)(W) combined anyways, which is why for the most part, we say R46s.

Back off, dude. 🤣🤣🤣

"Lol you getting pressed over different opinions about your (precious) R46s." Consider re-reading because I never said I liked the R46s nor have different opinions 'cause they're "precious" to me lmao and I said "But I don't take all seriousness and started crying all about it", Please take note of that appreciate it. 

What I'm approving people/transit fans are overreacting about the 3rd or 4th Jamaica and CIY fleet swap which is getting annoying in my preference /shrug. They can literally avoid those lines either way if they really offended them in a weird why, even about the 68/A's. Y'all can wait for the second order for the R211s or the open-gang way order to eventually being pull out the r160s off Jamaica to see your childhood R160s again give it like 2-3 years.

If they hate them. Nor they or you don't like 'em. Here's my one solution: Avoid them. It ain't that hard lol.

You can have a nice day and my blessing.

Edited by Jacob

2 minutes ago, Jacob said:

"Lol you getting pressed over different opinions about your (precious) R46s." Consider re-reading because I never said I liked the R46s nor have different opinions 'cause they're "precious" to me lmao and I said "But I don't take all seriousness and started crying all about it", Please take note of that appreciate it. 

What I'm approving people/transit fans are overreacting about the 3rd or 4th Jamaica and CIY fleet swap which is getting annoying in my preference /shrug. They can literally avoid those lines either way if they really offended them in a weird why, even about the 68/A's. Y'all can wait for the second order for the R211s or the open-gang way them eventually being pulled out off Jamaica to see your childhood R160s again give it like 2-3 years.

If they hate them. Nor they or you don't like 'em. Here's my one solution: Avoid them. It ain't that hard lol.

Ok good.

19 minutes ago, Jacob said:

What I'm approving people/transit fans are overreacting about the 3rd or 4th Jamaica and CIY fleet swap which is getting annoying in my preference /shrug. They can literally avoid those lines either way if they really offended them in a weird why, even about the 68/A's. Y'all can wait for the second order for the R211s or the open-gang way order to eventually being pull out the r160s off Jamaica to see your childhood R160s again give it like 2-3 years.

I’m just saying it will be impossible to avoid when they’re going to be the ENTIRE fleet. Hence my first comment

11 hours ago, Jemorie said:

You were whining and bitching like a toddler all this time about R46s being lousy at CI for obvious reasons. Now that this (G) new assignment thing has occurred, you’re all ups and arms whenever someone like him protest against this? Only foamers who love this are by those who want to continue getting their precious photos and videos of the old junks on the (N)(Q)(W) till they retire. Just because the (A)(C) dealt with old cars for years, doesn’t mean other lines have to. Stuff like this just simply make me wish all the old junks gone.

And CBTC just has trains closer together than the current signals do.

7 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Yeah. Don’t forget about/ignore the (Q) though. All of this has to do with CBTC. From what I heard, CBTC is cheaper than a regular brand new wayside signaling system, but who knows if that’s indeed true. 🤷‍♂️ I wonder if there’s another type of signaling system that could have been used instead of CBTC or wayside. But I guess there’s none, so CBTC is left.

Anyway, let them continue making love to their precious crappy old cars on the (N)(Q)(W) for nostalgia purposes. That’s literally the one and ONLY reason why they love the R46s now compared to before, which makes them total hypocrites. That’s why I lost a lot of respect for the railbuff community. But remember, they’ll be the same ones crying and complaining when their favorite old junk cars retire. I cannot wait to see the looks on their faces. 🤣🤣🤣

At least the R211s will reduce the current car shortage since the R32s and R42s understandably cannot come back, but the (N)(Q)(W) will likely be all R68s and R68As (and possibly some leftover R46s alongside them) while everything else in the B Division gets NTTs until the R68s and R68As retire for good (after the R46s).

People like you and me who prefer consistency (like the A Division aside from that stupid (6)(7) car swap and the current mix-mash automated announcements nonsense on the (4)(5)(7)) over a Wallyhorse of a fleet will rest assured as the (N)(Q)(W) will eventually go back to more modern cars in the foreseeable future.

There's more to this swap than you guys think, This is why I'm saying its not that serious.

Obviously spare factor is gonna be an issue, But He's whining like it's the end of the world. The R46's have digital side signs and the (N) sign is directly next to the  (W) so it isn't a big deal. All they need is a higher spare factor of cars and this wouldn't be a big issue.

This isn't a nostalgia thing, BMT Broadway isn't getting CBTC yet, After 8th ave gets it's CBTC, 6th ave is next meaning the (B)(D) will be getting tech trains pushing the R68's to you guessed it "Coney Island"  They pushed back Astoria CBTC which was a good thing because it would have been a waste of money having just the Astoria and 60th st portion. The CBTC should be  Astoria to as far as Canal st.

The (N)(W) is gonna be the two lines that will have to deal with having old stuff until it's their turn to get CBTC and new cars which would be the next big new order of subway cars. R160's might make their way back to CI anyway in a few years.

B division is a lot bigger than the than the A division and has more car classes vs the B division.  

Also the (B) is rumored to be getting the R46's soon which I hope is true because this would improve the reliability of CI's group of R46's. But they might still need a few more R46 sets from pitkin to keep the R46's reliable since they lost the R160's. 

And I will say this, Since CI is losing the R160's to Jamaica (these were Jamaica's anyway) CI will need a higher spare factor because the fleet age of their cars. The R160's kinda balanced that out even though it was only 9 sets with 6-7 being used out of the 9.

But one thing is fore Sure and I'm gonna give you a nice warning. Don't get rude with me because I will clap back very hard. I know who you are, Don't try me. Keep this convo civil because you the only one on here hurling insults for no reason while everyone else on here is keeping it civil.

And one more thing, You are the biggest hypocrite of them all. You were one of those fans who was constantly whining because the (J) got the R32's and you wanted them on the (A) . You were that same dude who saw me at Far Rockaway and as soon as you saw me head to the first car you bolted to that RFW like your life depended on it even though i was just gonna sit down and eat my food.  So don't be calling people foamers when you do shit like that.

Edited by R32 3838

10 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

It is that serious, and that is my final say on this subject. That R211 order cannot get here fast enough to undo this clusterf*** the MTA has created. Making the (N) / (W) all R46s 🙄🙄🙄

you gonna have to wait at least 3 more years as pitkin is getting the R211's first.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

you gonna have to wait at least 3 more years as pitkin is getting the R211's first.

That’s fine. I’ll be getting real fit with my three + year subway hiatus until the N/W get NTT trains again. Astoria always gets the short end of the stick. Where are those lazy politicians when you need them.

Edited by darkstar8983

41 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

That’s fine. I’ll be getting real fit with my three + year subway hiatus until the N/W get NTT trains again. Astoria always gets the short end of the stick. Where are those lazy politicians when you need them.

You do know they (Astoria) was 95% R160s back when the (Q) was extended to Astoria-Ditmars while the (W) was suspended for 6 years b.c of work over the Second Avenue and Lex-63 (including the introduction of the new Q routing). This is just a temporary fix until the later. 

Edited by Calvin

59 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Short end of the stick? That’s hilarious because I could have sworn that all the stations on the Astoria line were just recently rehabbed/enhanced. Astoria Blvd just received elevators. Those are some of the best looking stations in the system. 

I get that the R46’s are old and such and undesirable to ride on but at the end of the day it’s just a train. As long as it takes you from point A to B it shouldn’t matter. The R68/A’s are about 10-12 years younger and are in much better shape than the R46’s so it’s not so bad. 

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Short end of the stick? That’s hilarious because I could have sworn that all the stations on the Astoria line were just recently rehabbed/enhanced. Astoria Blvd just received elevators. Those are some of the best looking stations in the system. 

That goes for the Brighton (Q) line as well. Kings Highway, Avenue H both have wheelchair accessibility except Kings Highway has elevators. I remember most of the local stations between Sheepshead Bay and Newkirk Av (Plaza) looks very dull and the passageway is too narrow to walk over. 

But going over the (N) line, I like the 8 Av, Coney Island platform. Has the egg tarts and noodle bowl art that most people in Chinatown like to eat. 

Edited by Calvin

10 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

LMAO are you serious right now.

The (N) was the first line to get R160's

CI has gotten both the R68's and R160's Brand New

How is Astoria getting the short hand of the stick.

The (A)(C) gotten the short hand of the stick for a very long time while Jamaica and Coney Island got new cars.

The Last new subway car Concourse got was in 1989 with the R68A's.

You being ignorant to this whole situation while everyone is telling you that CBTC is the main reason why this is happening. Even if the (G) stayed at CI, The (N)(W) would still not have the R160's or they could have had only 1 set if they needed a train. It makes sense to send the (G) and the R160's back to Jamaica since they are gonna have the later Part of the Crosstown line (Bergen St to Church ave) and 97% of Culver is going to be CBTC active very soon.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

LMAO are you serious right now.

The (N) was the first line to get R160's

CI has gotten both the R68's and R160's Brand New

How is Astoria getting the short hand of the stick.

The (A)(C) gotten the short hand of the stick for a very long time while Jamaica and Coney Island got new cars.

The Last new subway car Concourse got was in 1989 with the R68A's.

You being ignorant to this whole situation while everyone is telling you that CBTC is the main reason why this is happening. Even if the (G) stayed at CI, The (N)(W) would still not have the R160's or they could have had only 1 set if they needed a train. It makes sense to send the (G) and the R160's back to Jamaica since they are gonna have the later Part of the Crosstown line (Bergen St to Church ave) and 97% of Culver is going to be CBTC active very soon.

Where to begin….

1. Astoria had to get its stations renovated because they were LITERALLY falling apart. And who cares about flashy stations if the trains are now going to be unreliable. It’s like saying “here Astoria, flashy new stations so you can spend eons waiting for the train because they’re not coming because of persistent mechanical issues.

2. A little history lesson for everyone: when the (N) did get the R68s, it was only half the fleet, and reliability was still down because of the route design and inability to run an effective route because of Manhattan Bridge closures and subway car shortages. When the (N) in 2001 was downgraded to R40 cars because of the Manhattan Bridge switch from 6 Av only to Broadway Only, it was marked as the worst performing route. Again due to subway car shortages and prioritizing the (Q)<Q> And West end (W) . Even when the dual service was restored in 2004, the (N) / (W) were ranked the worst because of decrepit R40 subway cars making up 50%+ of the fleet and inability for the cars to make the entire trip in the scheduled time. Just ask any Astoria resident. Even the <Q>‘s R40s ran better, which shows that the MTA has always had it in for Astoria, by giving the Astoria routes whatever scraps of cars weren’t being used as a main fleet on another line. That only began to change when the R160s started running on the (N), which meant that the (W) now held the worst subway line record all alone until it too got the R160s. The original CI R160 assignments were only for the (N) and (Q) with the (W) remaining R68s and R40s, and the reliability of the (W) was now as bad as the (N) was prior to the 160s. The MTA had to, in the end give the (Q) half R68s to make the (W) all R160s. When the 2010 service cuts happens, 30% of the (N) fleet became R68s while the (Q) became all R160s, again tanking the reliability of the (N) because of the mixed non R160 fleet on the (N). Improvements only happened when the (G) was transferred from Jamaica to Coney Island and the (F) had to use the (G)s R46s, gaining the (N)s R68s, and therefore, the (N) getting some of the (F)s R160s.

3. not really an argument but since WHEN was it decided for Bergen St to Church Av to get CBTC this soon? I thought it was from south of Church Av interlocking to West 8 St.

4. Just a side point. The (G) will likely have its R160 put ins come from Avenue X YARD to not block the crowded QBL just to have put-ins transported to/from the yard. And I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s fleet Interchsnged with the (F).

5. Side point to the (A)(C). Somehow their cars just run better..:I am amazed. This is similar to how Westchester Yard just wasn’t maintaining the R142As (MDBF below 60000 miles, yet when transferred to the (7) were averaging 200000+ miles) when they ran on the (6) but yet did better maintaining the transferred R62As.

the main takeaway of this response ; those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it (looking at you guys, MTA)

Edited by darkstar8983

22 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Where to begin….

1. Astoria had to get its stations renovated because they were LITERALLY falling apart. And who cares about flashy stations if the trains are now going to be unreliable. It’s like saying “here Astoria, flashy new stations so you can spend eons waiting for the train because they’re not coming because of persistent mechanical issues.

2. A little history lesson for everyone: when the (N) did get the R68s, it was only half the fleet, and reliability was still down because of the route design and inability to run an effective route because of Manhattan Bridge closures and subway car shortages. When the (N) in 2001 was downgraded to R40 cars because of the Manhattan Bridge switch from 6 Av only to Broadway Only, it was marked as the worst performing route. Again due to subway car shortages and prioritizing the (Q)<Q> And West end (W) . Even when the dual service was restored in 2004, the (N) / (W) were ranked the worst because of decrepit R40 subway cars making up 50%+ of the fleet and inability for the cars to make the entire trip in the scheduled time. Just ask any Astoria resident. Even the <Q>‘s R40s ran better, which shows that the MTA has always had it in for Astoria, by giving the Astoria routes whatever scraps of cars weren’t being used as a main fleet on another line. That only began to change when the R160s started running on the (N), which meant that the (W) now held the worst subway line record all alone until it too got the R160s. The original CI R160 assignments were only for the (N) and (Q) with the (W) remaining R68s and R40s, and the reliability of the (W) was now as bad as the (N) was prior to the 160s. The MTA had to, in the end give the (Q) half R68s to make the (W) all R160s. When the 2010 service cuts happens, 30% of the (N) fleet became R68s while the (Q) became all R160s, again tanking the reliability of the (N) because of the mixed non R160 fleet on the (N). Improvements only happened when the (G) was transferred from Jamaica to Coney Island and the (F) had to use the (G)s R46s, gaining the (N)s R68s, and therefore, the (N) getting some of the (F)s R160s.

3. not really an argument but since WHEN was it decided for Bergen St to Church Av to get CBTC this soon? I thought it was from south of Church Av interlocking to West 8 St.

4. Just a side point. The (G) will likely have its R160 put ins come from Avenue X YARD to not block the crowded QBL just to have put-ins transported to/from the yard. And I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s fleet Interchsnged with the (F).

5. Side point to the (A)(C). Somehow their cars just run better..:I am amazed. This is similar to how Westchester Yard just wasn’t maintaining the R142As (MDBF below 60000 miles, yet when transferred to the (7) were averaging 200000+ miles) when they ran on the (6) but yet did better maintaining the transferred R62As.

the main takeaway of this response ; those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it (looking at you guys, MTA)

I actually remember this period when the (N) ranked poorly because I still lived in Brooklyn at that time and took the subway with some regularity when I was actually living in NYC. You make some good points. The line improved considerably in the months to follow. It wasn't instantaneous, but over time there was gradual improvement.

5 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Where to begin….

That all doesn't matter but half of the (N) was still a younger fleet. The (N) just had R32,R40 and later R42's to make up the other half.

The (N) going all R40 slants back in 2002 was because the (N) was downgraded to a weekday only line with other times running as a sea beach shuttle (I hated this change)

This is better than having a fleet on the (A) line that had body rot and bad roofs. You guys act like Astoria had it so bad when people who ride the (A)(C) has gotten leftovers from Jamaica, Coney Island and ENY  until 2018 when the (A) finally got the half baked R179's.

CBTC is the reason for all these moves. Why do you think I want (MTA) and our State government to add additional cars  to the already existing R211 order? To Prevent all of this swapping shit.

I find it ironic that CI took the 98/9900's from Jamaica only to give them back months later. They should have made this decision when they were doing the swap in the beginning.  

11 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

That all doesn't matter but half of the (N) was still a younger fleet. The (N) just had R32,R40 and later R42's to make up the other half.

The (N) going all R40 slants back in 2002 was because the (N) was downgraded to a weekday only line with other times running as a sea beach shuttle (I hated this change)

This is better than having a fleet on the (A) line that had body rot and bad roofs. You guys act like Astoria had it so bad when people who ride the (A)(C) has gotten leftovers from Jamaica, Coney Island and ENY  until 2018 when the (A) finally got the half baked R179's.

CBTC is the reason for all these moves. Why do you think I want (MTA) and our State government to add additional cars  to the already existing R211 order? To Prevent all of this swapping shit.

I find it ironic that CI took the 98/9900's from Jamaica only to give them back months later. They should have made this decision when they were doing the swap in the beginning.  

Yes!!!! Definitely they need to just add 800 additional cars and make the R211 order 2400 cars and be done with it. Then no more swapping

On 10/9/2021 at 6:43 PM, Calvin said:

Spotted today: an R62A 4 train but <4> on one of the trains. It's on the Shuttle units hooked with a lost LED unit in the middle of the set showing <6> Express. 

Its on the only ex Shuttle set that the 6 has: 1940-52-23-27-31 (iirc), with 1931 having the <4> reading and 1923 being the misfit with circle/diamond LED.