SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

The (G) train stops at the front of the platform towards Court Sq, and rear of the platform towards Church Avenue which are where the exits are for the (L) , so I don't see how its different from what they have now.

They moved the (G) train stop two car lengths towards the center.

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

They moved the (G) train stop two car lengths towards the center.

They did? I sore that the (G) still stopped in the same location when I took it yesterday (granted it was an R68).

Wonder why they did that? The ridership at the (L) train part of the platform is much higher than the exits on the other side of the platform

4 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

They did? I sore that the (G) still stopped in the same location when I took it yesterday (granted it was an R68).

Wonder why they did that? The ridership at the (L) train part of the platform is much higher than the exits on the other side of the platform

Probably to make the Powers St entrance less of a sprint in terms of distance. They did that at Nassau Av a few years ago, to give Norman Av entrance customers time to make it to the train, which is a problem because it is still about 200 feet to run in the 7-10 seconds that the train sits with the doors open between the CR announcing the next stop and to watch the closing doors. I mean the doors stay open a total of 7-10 seconds in each station 

Edited by darkstar8983

24 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

They are going to be installing elevators at the (L) end of the platform, so they moved the (G) boarding location further up to where the platform will remain full width during construction.

The changeover took place at midnight on Tuesday which is why your train still stopped at the old location.

Edited by Around the Horn

14 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

The (G) train stops at the front of the platform towards Court Sq, and rear of the platform towards Church Avenue which are where the exits are for the (L) , so I don't see how its different from what they have now.

On the Queens side , it stops before the first 2 staircases that everyone is used to and vice versa on the church Ave side , it takes a couple seconds longer to reach the (L) now but it’s nothing too crazy

3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

That's actually pretty false, I've seen a lot of people chasing the (G) with R160's to also see R68A's

Also: @VIP

Apparently, from a friend who rode the (G) to 4 Av but waited for a bit to see the action there, there is only one R46 out of the entire Crosstown/Culver line. 

Edited by Calvin
extra mentioning

On 9/19/2021 at 10:03 PM, Vulturious said:

The issue with terminating trains at lower level City Hall is that there needs to be more incentive to rehabilitate it. (W) trains aren't running around 24/7 and only run during weekdays, no late night or weekend service. Which means about half or more of the time the station would be empty because (W) trains aren't running around. That also means the (MTA) rehabilitated the station just so (W) doesn't run half the time. If the (R) were to be split, then you definitely have more incentive because at least the station would be used during weekends.

The way that could happen would be to abandon the tracks that run from the upper level of City Hall to Cortlandt Street on the (R), allowing then to have the portion there re-built to have (E) trains run from there via a new connection to the Montague line to Rector and then Whitehall (closing Cortlandt Street Station since Chambers on the (E) is in the same complex) and continuing to Brooklyn while the (R) could in this scenario turn brown and be re-directed to Nassau Street (I noted about that over in the thread on splitting the (R) ).  In this scenario, the (W) could then full-time run from City Hall (possibly using BOTH levels with the lower level rehabbed into a barebones station that would be the main terminal to turn trains). 

In this scenario, you could in theory have an 8th Avenue line train run via 4th Avenue local and also run to Bay Ridge by doing this.  This also would allow when needed for 6th Avenue trains to run via Montague.

And so begins the weekends of (7) train shutdown west of Queensboro Plaza and the subway service alternatives are spotty at best. Subway crowding at QBP was horrendous because the (N) service wasn’t even running every 12 minutes (likely due to crew shortages)

the “weekend (W) service” is literally only 3 train sets running at random times, so limited that the MTA website left it as “no scheduled service”. 

Late night (A) t/o had the R179 moving. Nothing but fast yet comfortable stops. The fast braking introduced me to a unique tune from the propulsion that I have never heard on any other trip with an R179.

Only video I was able to find which captures that 4-tone I'm referring to which can be heard from 0:19-0:22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dMPnq6BoPA

11 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

And so begins the weekends of (7) train shutdown west of Queensboro Plaza and the subway service alternatives are spotty at best. Subway crowding at QBP was horrendous because the (N) service wasn’t even running every 12 minutes (likely due to crew shortages)

the “weekend (W) service” is literally only 3 train sets running at random times, so limited that the MTA website left it as “no scheduled service”. 

They're basically extra (N) trains. Between Ditmars and Whitehall is just 6-8 mins each in certain times. 

Edited by Calvin

11 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I noticed this too. I was on the (R) today, we get to Cortlandt, saw an uptown train on the opposite, I knew that sign said (W)yet MTA app said nothing.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:48 AM, VIP said:

There hasn’t been an R68A on the (G) ever since the R160’s started service on the line…

There was a '68A on the (G) today, so nope. 

I rode the only R160 left on the (N) for 3 stops yesterday and man did it run like shit. Never Rode an 9800 that runs this bad at Jamaica. WTF is CI doing with their trains? It seems like whatever they get from Jamaica, They do the bare minimum to keep it maintained. This makes me glad they are going back where they belong. It was stupid to move these from Jamaica in the first place.

Also Saw an R46 on the (Q) that had a Violent takeoff.

6 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I rode the only R160 left on the (N) for 3 stops yesterday and man did it run like shit. Never Rode an 9800 that runs this bad at Jamaica. WTF is CI doing with their trains? It seems like whatever they get from Jamaica, They do the bare minimum to keep it maintained. This makes me glad they are going back where they belong. It was stupid to move these from Jamaica in the first place.

Also Saw an R46 on the (Q) that had a Violent takeoff.

They’re probably running it on the (N) until it’s pulled from service due to mechanical issues - then repaired and transferred to the (G)

Coney Island’s cars don’t get as much maintenance because they have to run on 24-7 routes that have similar headways weekdays and weekends, so very little time is spent in the shop. This is why the (Q)‘s R160s ran poorly prior to 2020. And before the (W) and SAS opening, some of the (B)‘s R68As ran on the weekend (N) and (Q) to give their R160s a break, and after SAS, 50% of the (N)‘s fleet would be out of service weekends (due to the (W) not running)

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

They’re probably running it on the (N) until it’s pulled from service due to mechanical issues - then repaired and transferred to the (G)

That's basically the one note to how the (N) and (W) uses the 9 10-car R160 trains for passenger service at that time. Makes it easy to repair a train and turn back in service as the shop has put-ins for the (N) at 86 St. Easier than the (Q) since most of the trains lay up at the Stillwell Av side of the Yard. 

Edited by Calvin