SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm amazed how many people (ESPECIALLY some of you on this board) seem to think that the (Z) is some separate line from the (J). There are no (Z) crews - they are all (J) crews, which do half a trip designated as the (Z), using the (J) 's equipment. Furthermore there are only 6 (Z) runs in the morning and evening. You can't just say "let's send the (J) here and the (Z) there" ... even if the MTA WERE to add distinctive service, they would need the added equipment to run it  -- there are no longer any (M) trains which come out of Coney Island Yard anymore, for example, so if they wanted to extend (J) service to Bay Parkway, where would those trains come from? Believe me, if they had the available equipment, they wouldn't be running those R42 sets anymore.....

Show of hands - how many of you want to see a " (J) to ..... " service just as an excuse to use the Broad end of the Montague tube?

I knew that from the (Z) trains's conception shortly after they got the R42 rolling stock assignment to ENY straightened out when the Archer Ave extension opened (Correct me if I'm wrong) by the car numbers.

It passed thru Prospect Avenue (R) .Im sorry I confused you,,but i refer to (R) stations with out Av or street,next to them.

Ahhh, gotcha. On the BMT 4th Ave line.

So I've been doing some thinking...with the B44-SBS going into full swing within a year and the northbound routing of the bus being relocated onto Rogers Avenue, I've been wondering about the Bedford Avenue/Arlington Place exit for the Nostrand Avenue station on the (A) and the (C). Are they going to re-open it for the B44-SBS? I would be shocked if they didn't seeing that there will be a Fulton Street stop for the B44 in both directions, and the northbould stop will now be at Fulton/Bedford. Obviously it is unnecessary now since the northbound and southbound B44 stop at Fulton and Nostrand Avenues, and there isn't a Limited stop at Fulton/Bedford, but that will soon change. Will the MTA re-open the western exit for the station? I think it is warranted. Thoughts?

yes, they should.

How come some C/R's aren't alert of the GO's that are taking place on the weekend? Couple of weeks ago there was this female C/R on the (D) and during that weekend, she kept announcing that all uptown D trains were going to run via the 8th Avenue local or the (C) line. She made her announcements loud and clear but once we got to 42-PABT she said that you can transfer to the (3) and (7) when it was actually suspended. Mind you this was on the weekend where the 2 was split in half, and of course no 7 service south of QBP.

I'm sure Snowblock, Dan, and other C/R's that are on this forum most likely know what GO's are taking place every weekend compared to the rest of their coworkers. Is that part of the reason why passengers get confused? Not saying it the main one but part of it due to uninformed crew members, including the T/O although they rarely make announcements. Not ripping anyone just stating a question that has been in my mind for a while.

Guest Lance

If I'm not mistaken, the crews are only responsible for knowing service changes on their own lines. Some of the go the extra mile and announce ones on connecting lines, but that's the exception to the rule rather than the norm.

Giving a foamer a rollsign key is like giving an arsonist accelerant. You're asking for trouble.

#joke

Actually this sort of rings a bell of truth in relation to graffiti artist/vandals in the 1970's and 1980's, some managed to steal the cab and door keys, saw this in a book on the history of graffiti art.

Image:

Tools%20Of%20The%20Trains.jpg

Giving a foamer a rollsign key is like giving an arsonist accelerant. You're asking for trouble.

#joke

Actually this sort of rings a bell of truth in relation to graffiti artist/vandals in the 1970's and 1980's, some managed to steal the cab and door keys, saw this in a book on the history of graffiti art.

Image:

Tools%20Of%20The%20Trains.jpg

@Realizim

Wow Thats messed up. How come the MTA never put a stop on Graffiti until 1986? Don't they see their cars with artwork and are at least the slightest bit of mad?

- (E) lmer

The MTA during the (Ed Koch administration as Mayor) enacted a five year program to eradicate graffitti in 1984, by means of increased police surveillance and patrols of the yards, after failed attempts by the MTA (such as with so called graffiti-proof cars repainted white which was a dismal failure) starting in 1972 under the Lindsay administration. The campaign to eradicte grafitti in the 1980's was known as the "diehard era".

By 1986 the MTA gained the upper hand after a decade of battling with the graffiti artists during the historic world wide movement and the city's tactics to counter this and resolve the issues without killing the form of urban art. By allowing for non-profit organizations and businesses in the music industry to fund for exhibition shows on canvas in halls, or landlords supporting the hip hop movement allowing for artists to throw pieces in lots as exhibitions, such as the building in LIC just by the spur on the Flushing line as it climbs up onto the elevated structure north of Hunter's Point Station before the first stop @ Court Square. That's actually a rented lot for the legal showing of graffiti pieces and burners. Those pieces in the rented lot exhibitions and indoor art shows are painted by well known artists from NYC on the east coast to the west coast, Europe and specifically Korea and Japan in Eastern Asia.

Now the ongoing graffiti art movement aspect of hip hop culture has reached the internet due to the advent of digital graphic design editing software.

Edited by realizm

Are they running extra trains for the St Patrick's day parade? Every so often I'm seeing short turn (6) trains heading to 125 St and 3 Av-138 St show up on Subway Time. I'm even seeing a (5) train making local stops.

Yesterday around 5 o'clock I was at 125th st on the Lex. The announcement said "After an earlier incident, 5 trains are making local stops." A downtown  (5) was signed up as a  (6) on the local track at Grand Central. So there was an R142  (6) train, even if it didn't start as one! 

I have a question does anybody know why the D & A do a car swap? Or why aren't there any R46 runs on the D/ 68 on the A?

The (D) route is based out of Concourse where the 68s are maintain and the (A) route is based out of Pitkin where the 46s are maintain.

I was riding the (R) train yesterday, IDK what the C/R was thinking. I was at Whitehall Street, and the (R) came in saying LAST STOP on it's signs. When I was riding the train, IIRC they changed it to:

R FOREST HILLS

R 71 AV

R via 63 ST

so I'm like, the (R) is running via 63 Street? WDF? But it ran via 60 St Tunnel..

I was riding the (R) train yesterday, IDK what the C/R was thinking. I was at Whitehall Street, and the (R) came in saying LAST STOP on it's signs. When I was riding the train, IIRC they changed it to:

R FOREST HILLS

R 71 AV

R via 63 ST

so I'm like, the (R) is running via 63 Street? WDF? But it ran via 60 St Tunnel..

That was just the R46 side LED displays doing their thing. Neither Jamaica nor Pitkin seem to be able to fix the issues, or don't want to.

Some of y'all have this notion that C/R's are these magical people who know everything and can't ever make a mistake. We're human just like the rest of you. Some of us enter wrong programs into the Luminators. Some of us don't read the GO packets which are supposed to looked through right after you sign in (and yes, we're supposed to know about ALL of the GO's going on this weekend, especially the ones that make direct connections with your train, and announcement scripts are provided for them).

Some of y'all have this notion that C/R's are these magical people who know everything and can't ever make a mistake. We're human just like the rest of you. Some of us enter wrong programs into the Luminators. Some of us don't read the GO packets which are supposed to looked through right after you sign in (and yes, we're supposed to know about ALL of the GO's going on this weekend, especially the ones that make direct connections with your train, and announcement scripts are provided for them).

Bold for the win!

Oh yes, and we don't immediately know about unplanned service disruptions until we are TOLD about them. And regrettably the RCC has a tendency to not broadcast them over the radio to foreign lines unless it's something really big.

Only the most ignorant of the sheep expect C/R's to be omniscient. These are the same people who complain that the (MTA) sucks when construction work goes on to improve service.

That being said, the stuff I've seen on the (F) from conductors goes beyond "we're human." I posted it a while back, but some of those C/R's seemed to have no clue what they were doing at all in terms of the R160 programs. I won't tangent off, but that post is in this thread somewhere.

an UP driver first had his XD40 on NIS

then S42,S93,S86,S59,S57

and finally B64...