SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RockawayLcl said:

Has anyone noticed how dirty and filthy the exterior of R179s have been as of recent? Like the A/C have been looking horrific as of late and I'm not sure if that's because of Pitkin's or 207th st doing but I'm not sure when or how they will clean them up.

Yep, the sets don't look good for their age, especially the exterior. 3020-3024 was particularly bad since it had some disgusting black streaks on it, ran across the windows and everything. Cleaniness in general isn't exactly Pitkin's strongsuit, but thankfully most of it I'm seeing is cosmetic, so hopefully they get cleaned off.

3 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Yep, the sets don't look good for their age, especially the exterior. 3020-3024 was particularly bad since it had some disgusting black streaks on it, ran across the windows and everything. Cleaniness in general isn't exactly Pitkin's strongsuit, but thankfully most of it I'm seeing is cosmetic, so hopefully they get cleaned off.

The ENY R160s/R179s also do not look cosmetically good (and neither do Mosholu's R142/R142A's on the (4)). The latter cars do not look like they've EVER been washed.

207th st Car wash is out due to the ongoing work there, That's why the R46/179's are dirty. Pitkin doesn't have a wash, They'll probably use concourse to wash their equipment when they can.

ENY R160's used to be the cleanest in the system until 2017 when the tagging got out of control, that's why ENY's R160's look like a mess.

5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

207th st Car wash is out due to the ongoing work there, That's why the R46/179's are dirty. Pitkin doesn't have a wash, They'll probably use concourse to wash their equipment when they can.

ENY R160's used to be the cleanest in the system until 2017 when the tagging got out of control, that's why ENY's R160's look like a mess.

Ohhhhh ok, that i wasn't aware about, cause i kept seeing black streaks on the trains and it was looking horrendous compared to the CI R46s so i was just wondering when they would be cleaned.

I know the (G) is 100% R160 from this swap with the (N)(W) being 100% 75 footers. R160s can still run but as loaners. My guess is that the TA waited to see that CBTC is nearly finished on the Culver line to prepare this swap. They probably did and announce this month to have a fleet change for preparation of the new technology that'll happen soon on Culver. The question is, where you all expecting the (G) to use new-techs as this happened or out of the blue? 

---

Also, it's interesting to see both the <F> and (G) enter and leave 7th Av at the same time, except, if you're in the back 4 cars of the (F) , you would have to sprint to the front for the local stops or wait for the next (F) .

Edited by Calvin

20 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I know the (G) is 100% R160 from this swap with the (N)(W) being 100% 75 footers. R160s can still run but as loaners. My guess is that the TA waited to see that CBTC is nearly finished on the Culver line to prepare this swap. They probably did and announce this month to have a fleet change for preparation of the new technology that'll happen soon on Culver. The question is, where you all expecting the (G) to use new-techs as this happened or out of the blue? 

---

Also, it's interesting to see both the <F> and (G) enter and leave 7th Av at the same time, except, if you're in the back 4 cars of the (F) , you would have to sprint to the front for the local stops or wait for the next (F) .

Well personally, I was expecting the (G) to have NTT's, but I wasn't expecting it to run any this early on or with R160's either. I've said this before earlier in this forum or somewhere else, but I don't expect this to be the final swap with the (G). I'll bet once we're far enough into the 1st order option of the R211, we'll be seeing another swap. The question is, which lines are going to be swapped and what are being swapped? At this point it's anyone's guess.

Personally, the R179's on the (C) should not stick around, especially with 8 Av CBTC coming in and the R179's on the (C) being 8 cars instead of the full length 10 cars. Those really need to get off and move to another line that would benefit from them, like the (J)(Z) or even the (G) which would increase the capacity. I wonder if it's possible to rearrange the R179's around to go from 4 car to 5 car. This way the R179's wouldn't be moving swapping onto another line and the (A) and (C) can share fleet entirely.

Edited by Vulturious

10 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Well personally, I was expecting the (G) to have NTT's, but I wasn't expecting it to run any this early on or with R160's either. I've said this before earlier in this forum or somewhere else, but I don't expect this to be the final swap with the (G). I'll bet once we're far enough into the 1st order option of the R211, we'll be seeing another swap. The question is, which lines are going to be swapped and what are being swapped? At this point it's anyone's guess.

Personally, the R179's on the (C) should not stick around, especially with 8 Av CBTC coming in and the R179's on the (C) being 8 cars instead of the full length 10 cars. Those really need to get off and move to another line that would benefit from them, like the (J)(Z) or even the (G) which would increase the capacity. I wonder if it's possible to rearrange the R179's around to go from 4 car to 5 car. This way the R179's wouldn't be moving swapping onto another line and the (A) and (C) can share fleet entirely.

This is why I suggested pooling all the R179 8-car units for the (J) / (Z) and using 8-car R160s for the (G), while ordering new R211 8-car units for the (L) and (M) (around 168 cars in 8-car units would be sufficient to account for increased spare factor). This way the R160s now on the (G) can just boost the spare factor for the (E)(F) and (R) 

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

This is why I suggested pooling all the R179 8-car units for the (J) / (Z) and using 8-car R160s for the (G), while ordering new R211 8-car units for the (L) and (M) (around 168 cars in 8-car units would be sufficient to account for increased spare factor). This way the R160s now on the (G) can just boost the spare factor for the (E)(F) and (R) 

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the next round of fleet swap goes. Although, this really depends on whether there are any 4-car units of R211's being built in the order options.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:08 AM, darkstar8983 said:

The ENY R160s/R179s also do not look cosmetically good (and neither do Mosholu's R142/R142A's on the (4)). The latter cars do not look like they've EVER been washed.

Don’t forget about the (1) line’s R62A’s… they look extremely terrible. 240th Street needs a car wash. 

15 hours ago, Vulturious said:

9918-9922 is on the (R) 

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the next round of fleet swap goes. Although, this really depends on whether there are any 4-car units of R211's being built in the order options.

There are, but the math indicates there's only a handful.

Lets put it this way, Every IND line will be 100% tech within the next 5-8 years due to CBTC and upcoming CBTC. With the the exception of the BMT east and the (R), The (N)(Q)(W) will be the only B division lines that will have SMEE's (It could change) until the next large order.

52 minutes ago, VIP said:

9918-9922 is on the (R) 

Good

Edited by R32 3838

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Lets put it this way, Every IND line will be 100% tech within the next 5-8 years due to CBTC and upcoming CBTC. With the the exception of the BMT east and the (R), The (N)(Q)(W) will be the only B division lines that will have SMEE's (It could change) until the next large order.

Good

If the (B) gets R160’s or the R211’s then some of their train sets can/will pop up on the (N)(Q) and (W) the same way an R68/68A pops up. 

These are the current 42 St Shuttle 6-car trains: 

- [1943-1944-1947-1948-1908-1949]     - [1921-1922-1906-1907-1928-1925]      - [1955-1932-1933-1935-1939-1936]     -[1950-1929-1945-1946-1953-1951]

Spare 5-cars are 1956, 1910, 1937, 1956 and 1930. 

1935, 1945 and 1946 has its operator cab removed, bench seats added on one side. 

Edited by Calvin

8 hours ago, VIP said:

If the (B) gets R160’s or the R211’s then some of their train sets can/will pop up on the (N)(Q) and (W) the same way an R68/68A pops up. 

That's if the (B) stays at Coney. It's rumored It will be going to concourse so this way that one barn would work on the CBTC equipment vs 2 barns CI/Concourse. (MTA) wants to simplify things. This is similar to what they just did by giving the (G) back to Jamaica.  IMO I rather the (B) stay at Coney and use the R160's and Concourse get the last option order of R211's. But If Concourse houses the (B) alongside the (D) I could see them getting all of Jamaica's R160A-2's (8653-8712,9233-9802) That's more than enough for both services all together.

7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

That's if the (B) stays at Coney. It's rumored It will be going to concourse so this way that one barn would work on the CBTC equipment vs 2 barns CI/Concourse. (MTA) wants to simplify things. This is similar to what they just did by giving the (G) back to Jamaica.  IMO I rather the (B) stay at Coney and use the R160's and Concourse get the last option order of R211's. But If Concourse houses the (B) alongside the (D) I could see them getting all of Jamaica's R160A-2's (8653-8712,9233-9802) That's more than enough for both services all together.

If they do house the (B) at Concourse, they should really interline the (B) & (D) together.

16 hours ago, Calvin said:

These are the current 42 St Shuttle 6-car trains: 

- [1943-1944-1947-1948-1908-1949]     - [1921-1922-1906-1907-1928-1925]      - [1955-1932-1933-1935-1939-1936]     -[1950-1929-1945-1946-1953-1951]

Spare 5-cars are 1956, 1910, 1937, 1956 and 1930. 

1935, 1945 and 1946 has its operator cab removed, bench seats added on one side. 

Duplicate of 1956: bold is 1941. 1921, 1925, 1910, 1930 and 1937 remains with full-seating. 

Edited by Calvin

Well, Governor Houchel is planning on having Penn Station be an upgraded version of Grand Central. The plans include connecting  Broadway, 6th, 7th and 8th avenues into a passageway (hopefully there’s at least one that’ll be in station so you can transfer from 6th to 8th easily), and LIRR/NJT/Amtrak.

14 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Well, Governor Houchel is planning on having Penn Station be an upgraded version of Grand Central. The plans include connecting  Broadway, 6th, 7th and 8th avenues into a passageway (hopefully there’s at least one that’ll be in station so you can transfer from 6th to 8th easily), and LIRR/NJT/Amtrak.

Beyond a certain length it should be a shuttle train or something.

15 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Why Specifically R160A’s ? 

1 minute ago, VIP said:

Why Specifically R160A’s ? 

The (B) uses about 25 trainsets with the (D) using 29 trainsets. That's 540 cars all together. There's 630 R160A-2's all together. Concourse would have a 90 car spare factor. And with CBTC, it would require a higher spare factor anyway. This would be for fleet uniformity as much as I would rather the (D) get the 405 R211's while the (B) could have all the 260 Siemens R160's with a set or two of R211's.