SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Question: When all the R46s were at Jamaica Yard, 5482-6258, I know there was also R32s at the Jamaica Yard. I was wondering, were they used only on the (E) line or the (F) is also shared to the pool as well?

*This was before the R160 takeover. 

(E) was usually 100% R32 cause they have better dwell times than the R46.

(F) was a mix of R46s and R32s, it had more R46s it was like an 70/30 split in flavor of the R46.

They ran R32s on the (R) as well but they wasn't as common as they were on the E/F lines.

20 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

(E) was usually 100% R32 cause they have better dwell times than the R46.

(F) was a mix of R46s and R32s, it had more R46s it was like an 70/30 split in flavor of the R46.

They ran R32s on the (R) as well but they wasn't as common as they were on the E/F lines.

The (E) was mostly R32's with a occasional set of R46's on a weekday rush hour....(R) was mostly R46's with a set or 2 R32 Put ins...The (F) was basicly what Trainfan said....

I can recall 2 weekends in a row back in ill say 2008 where the (E) was mostly R46's and like 2 R42's ....That was cause the R32's needed work...

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Question: When all the R46s were at Jamaica Yard, 5482-6258, I know there was also R32s at the Jamaica Yard. I was wondering, were they used only on the (E) line or the (F) is also shared to the pool as well?

*This was before the R160 takeover. 

Pre December 2001

(E) was all R32's with an R46 popping up here and there (Usually when R32's went for SMS)

(F) was all R46's

(G) was a mixture of 6 car R46's and 8 car R32's

(R) was mostly R46's with a few R32 sets

Post December 2001-August 2008

(E) was all R32's (R46's would show up on the (E) but not as common as before. Summer 2007/2008 R46's were on the (E) while some R32's had HVAC issues) Last known R46 to run on the (E) was March 2009 the same day the R46 (A) started running and the last day of the R38's in service.

(F) was mainly R46's and a chunk of R32's

(G) was 4 car R46's

(R) was 85% R46's and 15% R32's

(V) was 100% R46's

Post July 2009

(E) 100% R160

(F) Half R160 Half R46

(G) unchanged

(R) mostly R32,R40M/R42's with a few R46's

(V) R32,R40M,R42 (would start using R46's again as more R160's were pushed to the (F))

On 11/1/2021 at 9:08 AM, darkstar8983 said:

The ENY R160s/R179s also do not look cosmetically good (and neither do Mosholu's R142/R142A's on the (4)). The latter cars do not look like they've EVER been washed.

For the longest I've been thinking, if a movie director ever needed a trainset to help cultivate a gritty NYC scene, they can just use an R142A off of the 4. 

On a different note, why is the acceleration for our cars only 2.5 mph? Subway trains in other cities (WMATA especially) seem to take off fast. 

20 minutes ago, brakethrow said:

For the longest I've been thinking, if a movie director ever needed a trainset to help cultivate a gritty NYC scene, they can just use an R142A off of the 4. 

On a different note, why is the acceleration for our cars only 2.5 mph? Subway trains in other cities (WMATA especially) seem to take off fast. 

Probably because some stations have curves right at the start and ends of them, needing a slow acceleration to take the curves. Imagine the (J) train leaving Crescent St at high acceleration, or the (N)  (R)  (W) leaving City Hall and Cortlandt St to name a few 

Edited by darkstar8983

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Probably because some stations have curves right at the start and ends of them, needing a slow acceleration to take the curves. Imagine the (J) train leaving Crescent St at high acceleration, or the (N)  (R)  (W) leaving City Hall and Cortlandt St to name a few 

But that's why there are three notches for power - switching, series, parallel. With parallel having the fastest acceleration. I believe most t/o's put the controller in series when pulling out of a station with an immediate approach of a track switch or curve.

Edited by brakethrow

9 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Post July 2009

(E) 100% R160

(F) Half R160 Half R46

(G) unchanged

(V) R32,R40M,R42 (would start using R46's again as more R160's were pushed to the (F))

Fun fact tho: the final (V) run was actually an R160. Those R42's had to be sent to the (A) and (C) in a hurry to cover for the R44's unplanned retirement.

9 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Pre December 2001

(E) was all R32's with an R46 popping up here and there (Usually when R32's went for SMS)

(F) was all R46's

(G) was a mixture of 6 car R46's and 8 car R32's

(R) was mostly R46's with a few R32 sets

Post December 2001-August 2008

(E) was all R32's (R46's would show up on the (E) but not as common as before. Summer 2007/2008 R46's were on the (E) while some R32's had HVAC issues) Last known R46 to run on the (E) was March 2009 the same day the R46 (A) started running and the last day of the R38's in service.

(F) was mainly R46's and a chunk of R32's

(G) was 4 car R46's

(R) was 85% R46's and 15% R32's

(V) was 100% R46's

Post July 2009

(E) 100% R160

(F) Half R160 Half R46

(G) unchanged

I remember R40M/R42’s being on the (E) around late 2007-early 2009, (I could be getting the exact times wrong) while the R32’s were being replaced and the R160’s were coming in. 

It is still weird not seeing R46’s on Queens Blvd since they were a mainstay at Jamaica for almost their entire lives making their debut on the (F) back in 1975. Their final trip before retirement should be on the (F)

Just now, 4 via Mosholu said:

The final run is more likely going to be on the (N) train instead; remember that the (F) and (N) trains first began running the 46 back in '75.

They might make their final run on the (N) but I think the R46’s are iconic to the (F) since they were assigned to the line from 1975 to 2020. I think one last trip on the (F) would be a good way to send them off. Either line would be good since they debuted on both lines.  

1 hour ago, Railfanner Mario said:

Apparently there was a R160 Siemens on the (N) today 8993-97,9068-72 that was spotted at 7:30am today. Wonder why🤔

There was also a R160 (95×× Cuomo set) & (97××) couldn't make out the last 2 numbers on both consist, running on the (W) today.

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Fun fact tho: the final (V) run was actually an R160. Those R42's had to be sent to the (A) and (C) in a hurry to cover for the R44's unplanned retirement.

Those R40M's/R42's were retired from Jamaica, The R44 retirement was decided in very late 2009. I was one of the first people to know about it. The (V) being cut freed 15 R46 sets to kill off the remaining R44's that were not replaced by R160's

I was on the final (V) train

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I remember R40M/R42’s being on the (E) around late 2007-early 2009, (I could be getting the exact times wrong) while the R32’s were being replaced and the R160’s were coming in. 

It is still weird not seeing R46’s on Queens Blvd since they were a mainstay at Jamaica for almost their entire lives making their debut on the (F) back in 1975. Their final trip before retirement should be on the (F)

The R42's first popped up at Jamaica in August 2008 to replace the remaining phase II R32's. More R42's with the R40M's were transferred in January 2009 from Pitkin/207th to Jamaica  for an exchange for the R32's due to the R40/R42's not working out so well for the (C) due to people running 120 feet. This was by far the dumbest move transit ever made due to Howard Roberts Hating the R32/38 fleet.

Not a lot of people talk about the bottleneck at Essex St on the Northbound BMT platforms. When the J and M arrive at Essex St, one train is forced to wait due to the line merging into one track. This issue can simply be fixed by adding a new switch for the J to use before merging with the M. The middle track platform would need to be discontinued.

39 minutes ago, ActiveCity said:

Not a lot of people talk about the bottleneck at Essex St on the Northbound BMT platforms. When the J and M arrive at Essex St, one train is forced to wait due to the line merging into one track. This issue can simply be fixed by adding a new switch for the J to use before merging with the M. The middle track platform would need to be discontinued.

Great.

You'd need to ensure that (J) trains are timed so they neither block nor are blocked by (M) trains outside of the station, whereas the current setup at least allows room for slotting while allowing people to get on/off either train.

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Those R46s crapped out again. The R160s should not have left the (N) and this is now the consequence.

They (R160s) are a rescue fleet in-case the (N)(W), regular (Q) needs assistance that they can't spare anymore R68/As. CBTC is nearly complete on Queens Blvd is why TA made all the 5-cars to be at Jamaica for communication (E)(F)(R) , somewhat of the (G) since the 9853-9942 batch is still at Av. X but to move soon. 

The difference is just the signage change at Ditmars Blvd but there's platform conductors during the rush. 

Edited by Calvin

9 hours ago, Calvin said:

They (R160s) are a rescue fleet in-case the (N)(W), regular (Q) needs assistance that they can't spare anymore R68/As. CBTC is nearly complete on Queens Blvd is why TA made all the 5-cars to be at Jamaica for communication (E)(F)(R) , somewhat of the (G) since the 9853-9942 batch is still at Av. X but to move soon. 

The difference is just the signage change at Ditmars Blvd but there's platform conductors during the rush. 

I just hope that today those extra R160s are again on the (N). It’s too cold to bike to work this morning

Question about the (J) ridership is there anyone that rides the (J)(Z) daily is the (J)(Z) helpful

People keep marking this claim large number of passengers transfer at Broadway Junction to other trains. I know the MTA doesn't track transfers so I'm looking for truthful evidence of ridership on the J. I want to know if there is a majority of riders at Broadway Junction who transfer or stay and go via the Williamsburg Bridge? The (J) is faster than the (A)(C) What have any of you witnessed?

And for Williamsburg is that people keep making the claim that midtown is more popular and that lower Manhattan is not popular. Basically claims that favoritizes the (M) hate on the (J) for no reason. Do many people from Williamsburg ride the (J) to lower Manhattan is lower Manhattan popular. People keep calling Nassau Street useless but I doubt that true. 

55 minutes ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

Question about the (J) ridership is there anyone that rides the (J)(Z) daily is the (J)(Z) helpful

People keep marking this claim large number of passengers transfer at Broadway Junction to other trains. I know the MTA doesn't track transfers so I'm looking for truthful evidence of ridership on the J. I want to know if there is a majority of riders at Broadway Junction who transfer or stay and go via the Williamsburg Bridge? The (J) is faster than the (A)(C) What have any of you witnessed?

And for Williamsburg is that people keep making the claim that midtown is more popular and that lower Manhattan is not popular. Basically claims that favoritizes the (M) hate on the (J) for no reason. Do many people from Williamsburg ride the (J) to lower Manhattan is lower Manhattan popular. People keep calling Nassau Street useless but I doubt that true. 

The (MTA) studies demographics (any transportation agency would be foolish not to).  That's how you get to understand who travels where. Demographics includes things like what fields people work in.  With that information, you can tell where people need to travel.  Nassau Street is in the Downtown CBD (Central Business District), steps from Wall Street, so it is far from "useless".  It's part of a transit hub, with the (4)(5) train nearby.  Anyone that works Downtown or heads down there for business knows how busy the area is. 

The (MTA) may not be able to study transfer data at Broadway Junction, but they can certainly piecemeal info that they do have from Metrocard and OMNY data to get an idea and have people there observing if they really need to, but again, it's a hub. That whole area has grown substantially, and neighborhoods that were heavily industrial are now far more residential, so the growth of usage has increased, no question.

Look at hard data.  That's how rational decisions are made.

1 hour ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

I ride the (J) somewhat regularly and from personal observation, yes a lot of people on the (J) transfer at Broadway Junction to other lines, especially coming to and from Queens. The (J) has high turnover at Broadway Junction.

SRO (J) trains are common over the bridge during the week, happens from time to time on weekends too.

Lots of people get off at Marcy Ave on the (J) coming from Manhattan.

And Midtown is more popular than Lower Manhattan *south of Canal street*. This is why many people were happy the (M) train got rerouted there! The eastern Div is setup perfectly now with one service serving Lower Manhattan and the other serving Midtown.

Nassau street is beneficial, it may not be as busy as the (1) or (L) lines but it has its purpose.