SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 1/18/2022 at 8:29 PM, VIP said:

Haha mofos Can’t wait 7-10 Minutes over there?? Spare me. I operate that line religiously, even before the pandemic… it’s useless. Just throw tech trains on the N and the Problem is solved. 

I do like that idea of the (N) being all tech trains again, because the R68s can't handle the (N) alone, especially with the R46s desperately asking to be put out of their misery working 24/7

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Danavigata said:

Between roughly 9a-5p, there are (A) trains laid up on the express tracks between 168 and 145, which forces the (A) to run local and stop at 163 & 155. 

Thank you! I was thinking it had to do with something like that since I saw some trains being stored on the express tracks. 

I just find it weird that this isn’t reflected in any of the (A) trains schedules.

5 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Thank you! I was thinking it had to do with something like that since I saw some trains being stored on the express tracks. 

I just find it weird that this isn’t reflected in any of the (A) trains schedules.

I thought it was because of flood protection work in 207 St yard (that yes made the trains lay up on the southbound express)

16 hours ago, Calvin said:

(D) trains resume service to Stillwell Av Monday, January 24th

Given their scope of work and that they basically replaced entire sections of track, I’m wondering if they took the opportunity to redesign the whole stretch like replacing that single-slip-scissor-switch combo at Bay 50 Street; they almost never use it to put Manhattan-bound trains on the express track.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:04 AM, Lil 57 said:

Not a permanent thing. Just a weekday service change. 

I caught one of the afternoon (E) trips from 179th street on Monday and I was so disappointed it ran local along Hillside Ave up to Forest Hills. There was a ENY R160 at Parsons Blvd on the express track laid up so we were forced to go local. I remember catching (E) along Hillside Ave sometimes back in 2018/2019 on my way to school in the afternoon and it was always cool to get a little taste of how service used to be before the Archer Ave extension opened up. 

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I caught one of the afternoon (E) trips from 179th street on Monday and I was so disappointed it ran local along Hillside Ave up to Forest Hills. There was a ENY R160 at Parsons Blvd on the express track laid up so we were forced to go local. I remember catching (E) along Hillside Ave sometimes back in 2018/2019 on my way to school in the afternoon and it was always cool to get a little taste of how service used to be before the Archer Ave extension opened up. 

If I recall correctly, the reason they've still been sending a bunch of <E> trains to 179th since 1988 is because the Parsons-Archer station was never intended as a long-term terminal, and it just doesn't have the turning capacity.  For me personally, the Archer Avenue Line project was over-ambitious from day one, and frankly more trouble than its worth.

With the amount of time and money the MTA wasted on this glorified stubway, they would have simply been better off retrofitting a third track onto the Jamaica Avenue El, rerouting some bus lines from 179th-Hillside to 168th-Jamaica, and calling it a day. 

51 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

If I recall correctly, the reason they've still been sending a bunch of <E> trains to 179th since 1988 is because the Parsons-Archer station was never intended as a long-term terminal, and it just doesn't have the turning capacity.  For me personally, the Archer Avenue Line project was over-ambitious from day one, and frankly more trouble than its worth.

With the amount of time and money the MTA wasted on this glorified stubway, they would have simply been better off retrofitting a third track onto the Jamaica Avenue El, rerouting some bus lines from 179th-Hillside to 168th-Jamaica, and calling it a day. 

Yes that is correct. Jamaica Center is such an inefficient terminal for the (E) because trains are usually forced to wait at Sutphin Blvd/Archer Avenue for a train to leave Jamaica Center so it can proceed. Personally I don’t think we will ever see an extension of the (E) to southern Queens so I think the MTA should send the (E) to 168th Street/Archer Ave and call it a day. 168th street on the (J) was never replaced and when the station was demolished it affected business over there. 

So the (L) train was delayed this morning around 8AM because of NYPD activity at Grand Street. Waited for 30 mins at Broadway Junction then left the station. Unfortunately the (L) showed up after I left the station so I had to take the B60 bus at Fulton and Rockaway to go to my clinic. I just hope the (L) isn’t delayed like that again. Especially around this time. It’s too cold to wait on a elevated subway platform 30 mins for a train.

20 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Well, day one did not involve demolishing the (J) .

Archer Avenue would've been a lot simpler had they not done that, and I think we would see the full line down towards SE Queens. Ironically, the Macy's that asked for demolishing the (J) left Jamaica shortly after.

22 hours ago, VIA 7 AV said:

So the (L) train was delayed this morning around 8AM because of NYPD activity at Grand Street. Waited for 30 mins at Broadway Junction then left the station. Unfortunately the (L) showed up after I left the station so I had to take the B60 bus at Fulton and Rockaway to go to my clinic. I just hope the (L) isn’t delayed like that again. Especially around this time. It’s too cold to wait on a elevated subway platform 30 mins for a train.

Just now seeing this, but my train was stopped for the same reason for maybe 10 minutes, but I was going the opposite direction (southbound), didn't even know how bad this was, but (L) train don't have too many alternatives except for buses, which makes traveling difficult..

1 hour ago, Theli11 said:

Just now seeing this, but my train was stopped for the same reason for maybe 10 minutes, but I was going the opposite direction (southbound), didn't even know how bad this was, but (L) train don't have too many alternatives except for buses, which makes traveling difficult..

The cost of independent subway lines like the (7)(G) and (L) 

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:
34 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That figures

And what amazes me is that none of the "experts" figured this out beforehand.  The post-Redbird reefing program was basically the MTA's creative way of getting around scrapping costs and regulations.  It's been argued that asbestos and the other nasty stuff in those cars is less of a problem when waterborne, but still... they shouldn't have been dumping that kind of shit in the sea to begin with.

Edited by R10 2952

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Well, day one did not involve demolishing the (J) .

Archer Avenue would've been a lot simpler had they not done that, and I think we would see the full line down towards SE Queens. Ironically, the Macy's that asked for demolishing the (J) left Jamaica shortly after.

Yeah, it was one of those rare occasions when the NYCTA actually didn't want to tear down a line on their own accord.  They were basically pushed into it by a decade of pressure from local elected officials and businesses in Jamaica after Mayor Lindsay first floated the idea in the late 1960s.  The whole trend of politicians squeezing the transit authority by the nuts in this city is a well-worn path, unfortunately.

Edited by R10 2952

On 1/26/2022 at 10:35 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Yes that is correct. Jamaica Center is such an inefficient terminal for the (E) because trains are usually forced to wait at Sutphin Blvd/Archer Avenue for a train to leave Jamaica Center so it can proceed. Personally I don’t think we will ever see an extension of the (E) to southern Queens so I think the MTA should send the (E) to 168th Street/Archer Ave and call it a day. 168th street on the (J) was never replaced and when the station was demolished it affected business over there. 

All true.

Archer Ave is a big service reduction for (J) .  It seems that a big reason for doing so was to promote economic development in Downtown Jamaica by getting rid of the unsightly el.  But as we all know it is extremely short sighted, because the subway never got extended as far as the el did, so places that were close to the end of the line are now beyond walking distance from the subway.  How much is land worh that is no longer served by rail transit.

Kind of similar to the destruction of the Jackson Park Elevated in Chicago.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2011/12/2/10419932/the-biggest-urban-renewal-flubs-jackson-park-l

Instead of Archer, the IND line should have branched southwards.  The (E) already does this as it splits at Briarwood, making a stop at Jamaica-Van Wyck (providing transfer to the old (J) stop at Metropolitan) and then continued straight down the Van Wyck.  Imagine if the Van Wyck el that was built to serve JFK, was actually part of the (E) line with stops at every major avenue that crosses the Van Wyck between Jamaica Ave and the Belt Parkway.

What adds salt in the wounds is that this is a pattern that happened before.  Tear down the el, because the subway is coming soon.  Tell that to the folks along 3rd Ave.

The primary benefit of Archer Avenue (so long as we continue to do nothing with it) is that it brings IND and BMT service closer to the LIRR station at Sutphin Boulevard. Perhaps it would be better if the (E) continued to Cambria Heights via Merrick and Linden Boulevards while the (J) continued east to Springfield Boulevard or the edge of Belmont Park via a return to Jamaica Avenue east of 168th Street (the Belmont Park alignment would also follow Hempstead Avenue to the county line).

19 minutes ago, mrsman said:

All true.

Archer Ave is a big service reduction for (J) .  It seems that a big reason for doing so was to promote economic development in Downtown Jamaica by getting rid of the unsightly el.  But as we all know it is extremely short sighted, because the subway never got extended as far as the el did, so places that were close to the end of the line are now beyond walking distance from the subway.  How much is land worh that is no longer served by rail transit.

Kind of similar to the destruction of the Jackson Park Elevated in Chicago.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2011/12/2/10419932/the-biggest-urban-renewal-flubs-jackson-park-l

Instead of Archer, the IND line should have branched southwards.  The (E) already does this as it splits at Briarwood, making a stop at Jamaica-Van Wyck (providing transfer to the old (J) stop at Metropolitan) and then continued straight down the Van Wyck.  Imagine if the Van Wyck el that was built to serve JFK, was actually part of the (E) line with stops at every major avenue that crosses the Van Wyck between Jamaica Ave and the Belt Parkway.

What adds salt in the wounds is that this is a pattern that happened before.  Tear down the el, because the subway is coming soon.  Tell that to the folks along 3rd Ave.

Really should've waited for a replacement rather than just demolish. History continues to repeat itself and no one seems to learn anything from this, then again it's not like they would care anyway.