SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Twas taking the (A) to school yesterday for the Regents. I missed the train, passed up a (C), and got on the next (A).

What do ya know, we have a door problem. In the back somewhere the conductor says (I'm in the last car); no matter how many re-tries the C/R makes the door light just won't go off. Eventually some worker guy comes and locks half of one of the doors in my car, and we can go. It only took about 5 minutes, not bad I suppose. Kinda suprsied the problem was with one of the doors (Since it closed just fine to the naked eye) and not people blocking the door as we first thought.

Guest lance25

From mta.info

Due to track maintenance at the Jackson Avenue station:

Selected uptown (2) trains are terminating at the 34th Street-Penn Station.

Selected uptown (5) trains are terminating at the 86th Street station.

Please expect delays in service on the uptown (2) and (5) trains at this time.

Wouldn't it make more sense to turn the trains at 137 St-City College/Harlem-148 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse (upper level) respectively?

Current Service Status / Subways-123

Posted: 06/29/2011 1:22PM

MTA Service Notice

Due to track maintenance at the Jackson Avenue Station:

Selected uptown(5) trains are terminating at the 86th Street Station.

Those are weird places to terminate trains. Why not terminate (2) at 96th or even 148th? Terminate (5) at Grand concourse.Or maybe 125th st?

Current Service Status / Subways-123

Posted: 06/29/2011 1:22PM

MTA Service Notice

Due to track maintenance at the Jackson Avenue Station:

Selected uptown(5) trains are terminating at the 86th Street Station.

Those are weird places to terminate trains. Why not terminate (2) at 96th or even 148th? Terminate (5) at Grand concourse.Or maybe 125th st?

lol Lance beat you to it, Abba. Plus Penn Station makes a better terminal than 96th at least because 96th requires crossing over the (1). As for the other stations, I got nothing.

Also, anyone else see the work at Fulton St (A)(C)? I've been passing by the station a bit later in the AM Rush, there are workers making you stay on one side of the staircase, and the (A)(C) platform has been changed a little bit. The uptown trains now stop a little bit farther away from the West end of the platform (near the (4) and (5) exits) and the car markers have been moved back a little bit too.

*from mta.info*

World Trade Center-bound (E) trains run via the (F) after 36 St, Queens to West 4 St

Nights, 10 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Jun 27 - Jul 1

Trains resume normal route at West 4 St.

Travel alternatives in Queens:

• For Court Sq-23 St, transfer to a Manhattan-bound (7) at 74 St-Roosevelt Av.

• For Queens Plaza, take the Manhattan-bound (7) to the

nearby Queensboro Plaza Station instead.

• Customers between 36 St and Roosevelt Av Stations can

take the Jamaica Center-bound (E) to the (7) at 74 St-Roosevelt Av.

Travel alternatives in Manhattan:

• World Trade Center-bound (E) trains travel via the

63 St and 6 Av corridors stopping at (F) stations.

• Transfers available:

Lexington Av/63 St — (6)(N)(R)(at 59 St with MetroCard)

47-50 Sts (D) — and Forest Hills-bound (M)

42 St-Bryant Pk (7) — and Forest Hills-bound (M)

West 4 St (A)(C) — and Queens-bound (E)(M)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, looks like everybody's favorite 21st St-Queens Plaza-Court Square shuttle bus has been axed. Because all the cool kids are taking the (7) instead, appearently.

Guest lance25

Well, looks like everybody's favorite 21st St-Queens Plaza-Court Square shuttle bus has been axed. Because all the cool kids are taking the (7) instead, appearently.

Not surprising since Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza aren't that far apart and seeing as they are advertising the (7) as the alternative for Manhattan-bound service. Riders just have to transfer upstairs at Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av.

Guest lance25

Someone here reported they saw an R160 (R) the other day and there's at least one R46 on the (F) every day. Remember, cars are assigned to yards, not lines, so when a line needs a train, they're gonna pick whichever one is available.

Switching gears here...

From mta.info

Due to switch problems at the Myrtle Avenue Station, please expect delays in Manhattan-bound (M) train service at this time.
Due to switch problems at the Myrtle Avenue Station:

Please expect delays in Manhattan-bound (J) train service.

(Z) train service is suspended the entire line at this time..

What happened to that switch over at Myrtle Av? This has been going on since yesterday morning.

Well the IRT (minus (7)) is gonna be a total FUBAR today.

The (J) shuttle is axed, and the (N)(Q) and (R) are offically the alternatives.

The MTA's site says, to get to the (A) and (C), to take the (3) to Park Place if you're coming from Brooklyn (which is correct) and to transfer to the (F) at Broadway-Lafayette if you're coming from Mabhattan or the Bronx.

The (MTA)'s site mentions how to the get to the (A) and (C), like I just pointed out, but it never actually mentions how to get to Fulton St. It never even mentions Fulton St at all.

" • For Bowling Green, Wall St and Brooklyn Bridge service,

take the (N) (days) or (R) (nights) at nearby stations. "

While it's great that Fulton St is in walking distance from Brooklyn Bridge, passengers that go and pay fares shouldn't have to walk as part of the trip. I mean, there's a difference between walking because it's healthy and walking because the (MTA) can't be bothered to run the (J) shuttle. If you really didn't want to do that walk to Fulton St, you could go to Jay St or Atlantic Ave and double-back on the (2)(3)(A) and (C) but that's incredibly pointless and G.O.s suck.

At least the (A) and (C) are stopping at Fulton. Imagine how brutal it would be if only the (2) and (3) were stopping there this weekend.

Edited by Mysterious2train

Guest lance25

The lack of a (J) shuttle may have something to do with Fulton Street construction, or it may be because of the holiday weekend, but I do agree that someone dropped the ball on this one.

The lack of a (J) shuttle may have something to do with Fulton Street construction, or it may be because of the holiday weekend, but I do agree that someone dropped the ball on this one.

At least people on Jerome Ave can transfer to the (2) at 149th St. As for people on the Pelham Line.... it's a sunny day.

It's still funny how that G.O. page doesn't mention Fulton St at all. It's like the (MTA) doesn't have the guts to say that people going to Fulton St are going to have to walk, lol.

There are buses to take, though. the M5 and M103 primarily. Still a bad weekend to use the IRT.

Also, if the (MTA) is willing to run the (3) overnight when the (4) is cut, how come they won't run the (5) overnight when the (2) is cut? [in Brooklyn, I mean]

Guest lance25
Also, if the (MTA) is willing to run the (3) overnight when the (4) is cut, how come they won't run the (5) overnight when the (2) is cut? [in Brooklyn, I mean]

It probably costs more to bring the (5) all the way from E 180 St to Flatbush Av than it does for the (3) to New Lots Av from Times Square during the late night hours. Remember, they're already extending the (5) from Bowling Green when the (2) & (3) don't go into Brooklyn and that has to cost them some money. It's cheaper to run a single shuttle train every 20 minutes or so from Flatbush to Atlantic Avs and have the riders connect to the (4) at Franklin Av.

I am wondering, what is there going on, on 14th and 23rd streets that makes Jamaica bound (F) skip those stations.

Jamaica-bound (F) trains skip 14 St and 23 St

Nights, 11 PM to 5 AM, Tue to Fri, Jul 5 - 8

It's been like that for couple or more weeks, whats going on?

I am wondering, what is there going on, on 14th and 23rd streets that makes Jamaica bound (F) skip those stations.

Jamaica-bound (F) trains skip 14 St and 23 St

Nights, 11 PM to 5 AM, Tue to Fri, Jul 5 - 8

It's been like that for couple or more weeks, whats going on?

I believe it's platform edge replacement.

Guest lance25

No offense 70(EE), but will you quit it with the names. It was amusing the first time, cute the second. Now it's just plain annoying.