SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember the R62As doors close faster than an R142A door and conducters on the R62As either make the announcements faster or dont make them at all. The R142A announcement is slower and the xonducters  tend to close the doors of an R62A quicker so the train leaves each station faster.

While the doors do close faster, the loading times (like ttc said) are WAY higher, so you end up sitting in the station much more than before. My daily operator has been pushing it a lot faster than he used to on the 142As just to make time, and even at that he's generally running 2-3 min late each day.

Also, literally nobody who rides the (6) except for railfans are happy about the 62As. I don't mind them, cause I like the old fleet, but they are slower, more crowded, and not as well air conditioned and everybody I commute with is bitching about it.

Edited by MHV9218

Your point?

Nah, he actually makes a fair point here. The fleet IS less popular with riders, for obvious reasons. But that's still not a reason to pass a train up (which nobody is doing) and it still doesn't matter, since the swap will happen without popular opinion ruling.

Recall that during the Culver Viaduct rehabilitation project due to urgent infrastructure issues that many residents started complaining on the net through the blogs and online newspapers cursing to their mothers about the diversions in service, when in reality the MTA had to deal with pressing infrastructure issues that if hadn't been dealt with would have resulted in an even much worse outcome for the yuppie and hipster straphangers who bitched and moaned, and cry and complained...... I mean what do they want, a splitting of the red sea? Top notch service but with no needed disruptions in service for infrastructure work so the MTA can ensure that for its' customers? Double standards much? 

Now the fact of the matter is that the MTA clearly needs the converted R142A NTTs for the (7) CBTC project and well the NTTs needed has to come from somewhere.... Kawasaki won the contract and are doing the work. R142A's are Kawasaki cars aren't they? It's true that we just happened to have R62A cars assigned to the (7) correct? They have to be placed somewhere too, no?

If it was Bombardier that was awarded the contract for the R188 we would be seeing a (2) / (7) , R142/R62A swap instead wouldn't we? With the R62A's on the (2)

I can't help then but ask what difference all of this makes in the long run.....

Perhaps before any of us come to any conclusions here we should scan the newspapers as the swap continues and see for sure what the Bronx and UES residents the (6) serves will have to say and how they will respond to this in the light of the major tech upgrades to the IRT Flushing line as it progresses resulting in the reassignment of the R62A's to the IRT Pelham/Lexington Ave Local. 

As long as the cars are comfortable, they run, the MDBF's are in check, the maintenance shops are doing a damn good job in maintaining the cars, the HVACs are good and the incidences of chassis or truck issues are small,  then really there isn't anything valid for some of these straphanger oriented special interest groups to argue over to sound credible. That was my argument for the last three R62A emergency crisis threads we've had, and still is.

*Let me add that what everyone is saying here I can understand. OK, cool, but this is what I think.

Edited by realizm

Recall that during the Culver Viaduct rehabilitation project due to urgent infrastructure issues that many residents started complaining on the net through the blogs and online newspapers cursing to their mothers about the diversions in service, when in reality the MTA had to deal with pressing infrastructure issues that if hadn't been dealt with would have resulted in an even much worse outcome for the yuppie and hipster straphangers who bitched and moaned, and cry and complained...... I mean what do they want, a splitting of the red sea? Top notch service but with no needed disruptions in service for infrastructure work so the MTA can ensure that for its' customers? Double standards much? 

Now the fact of the matter is that the MTA clearly needs the converted R142A NTTs for the (7) CBTC project and well the NTTs needed has to come from somewhere.... Kawasaki won the contract and are doing the work. R142A's are Kawasaki cars aren't they? It's true that we just happened to have R62A cars assigned to the (7) correct? They have to be placed somewhere too, no?

If it was Bombardier that was awarded the contract for the R188 we would be seeing a (2) / (7) , R142/R62A swap instead wouldn't we? With the R62A's on the (2)

I can't help then but ask what difference all of this makes in the long run.....

Perhaps before any of us come to any conclusions here we should scan the newspapers as the swap continues and see for sure what the Bronx and UES residents the (6) serves will have to say and how they will respond to this in the light of the major tech upgrades to the IRT Flushing line as it progresses resulting in the reassignment of the R62A's to the IRT Pelham/Lexington Ave Local. 

As long as the cars are comfortable, they run, the MDBF's are in check, the maintenance shops are doing a damn good job in maintaining the cars, the HVACs are good and the incidences of chassis or truck issues are small,  then really there isn't anything valid for some of these straphanger oriented special interest groups to argue over to sound credible. That was my argument for the last three R62A emergency crisis threads we've had, and still is.

*Let me add that that I hear what everyone is saying here. OK, cool, but this is what I think.

If bombardier would have been awarded the contract wouldn't it have been a (4) and (7) swap since the (4) has the same amount of R142 as the (7) has R62As ?

If bombardier would have been awarded the contract wouldn't it have been a (4) and (7) swap since the (4) has the same amount of R142 as the (7) has R62As ?

No, it would've required a few more trains from the 2/5 as well. The 4 is made up of R142/As. And seeing that they'd take the oldest sets to convert, the ones from the 2 would likely be taken and then the 2 would probably take trains from the 4. Essentially the 4 could be all R62As, so that is possible. But I think the 7 has more total cars, so the 6 would still probably see some R62As anyway.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Nah, he actually makes a fair point here. The fleet IS less popular with riders, for obvious reasons. But that's still not a reason to pass a train up (which nobody is doing) and it still doesn't matter, since the swap will happen without popular opinion ruling.

The ones on the 7 weren't too bad. Some of them were like iceboxes. I'll put it this way: NTT, they will more or less work evenly, but they are pretty weak (hardly feels like it's on unless you stand directly below the vents) on crowded cars. R62As, they can be hit or miss.

No, it would've required a few more trains from the 2/5 as well. The 4 is made up of R142/As. And seeing that they'd take the oldest sets to convert, the ones from the 2 would likely be taken and then the 2 would probably take trains from the 4. Essentially the 4 could be all R62As, so that is possible. But I think the 7 has more total cars, so the 6 would still probably see some R62As anyway.

Flushing runs 450 R62As ,I just want to know since the (6) is getting 400 R62As from flushing 380 from the swap and 2 extra  sets for spares , where will those other 5 sets go ? Would they go the (1) or (4), or will they get sent to the (1) and (4)

Edited by R62AR33

OK. Here's my 2 cents. 

Why avoid a line over a subway car? That sounds stupid. If you have work and you're late you're excused will be "I'm late because I avoided a subway car on a line?". Who cares what runs on what? As long as it gets you from Point A to Point B?

And for those who said people on the (C) line will bitch when they lost their R160s statement was false. Yes Central Park West is busy during the Rush Hours BUT who cares what runs on the (C) ? It's getting people where they have to go, that what matters. And I wish some people luck on avoiding subway lines over a subway car. Honestly as much I'm not a big fan on the (C) or the R32s, I'll still take it to my destination or if I need to go somewhere along the route. I find it sad that we avoid a line over stupid shit. 

^yup. If they hate the old stuff so bad, take a cab or something. The mta doesn't have millions to spend on a whim because one person bitched about riding old trains. The ideal car shelf life is 40yrs. Why retire it so soon if it still runs?

Flushing runs 450 R62As ,I just want to know since the (6) is getting 400 R62As from flushing 380 from the swap and 2 extra  sets for spares , where will those other 5 sets go ? Would they go the (1) or (4), or will they get sent to the (1) and (4)

Possible service additions to at least the 1. If the 4 needs an extra train or more, I think it'd be a displaced R142A set(s) from the 6.

When I was living in the Bronx I used to avoid the (4)BUT the reason I did that was for three practical reasons: 1) I  lived in an area where I had easy access to both lines 2) During rush hours the (4) is actually more congested with crushloaded trains then the (D) 3) The Lexington Ave line was more prone to delays then the IND CPW/6th Ave line which functioned without a hitch.

The reason I took preference to the Grand Concourse line was because I wasn't chancing ending up late for work getting stalled on a (4) or because of delays waiting for a train to show up for 15 minutes or more sometimes because of the ever frequent delays on the Jerome Ave/Lexington Ave on the AM rush as opposed to the IND GC. There were times the train was so far behind being delayed in the Bronx, Manhattan bound, that when I chanced it and some delay is announced I was forced to get my car quick so I can race down Manhattan to work instead, speeding in the process then showing my IT manager the snapshot of the service status on mta.info to explain why I did that. Late for work anyway but it was better then being even more late.

So that was why I was forced to avoid the IRT Jerome Ave or in some situations the subway altogether avoiding both lines and drive by car if I overslept and if my ex GF did'nt have the car already, for all practical reasons. Otherwise I stuck with the (D) to dodge the (4) with its' delays which was every morning without fail.

Weekends, it wasn't a problem, I just took the (D) or the (4) depending on where I was going in the city.

Now as for avoiding lines because of rolling stock in itself, I totally agree! Now that's seriously illogical. I could care less about that in itself. SMEE's or NTT's regardless, if it comes, I'm on it and getting there to my destination on time. Period.

Glad I don't have to deal with that no more, now that I am in Brooklyn, the BMT 4th Ave is nowhere as bad. If a R68 (N) shows up I'm on it.  If a R160 (N) or an R160 or R46  (R) arrives, whatever,  I'm on it, going about my business. They run. That's all there its to it. Ditto on the (A)(C) in Brooklyn as I transfer, R160, R46 or R32 regardless, I'm taking it.

Edited by realizm

@Garibaldi: Then MetroNorth must have more civilized clientele. The only places where I have run into such people are small town transit systems, and even those have problems with blasting of music through crappy earbuds, and while I haven't seen it myself, I'm sure fare beating can also be a problem. You'd be hard pressed to find well behaved riders in the Toronto area, with some exceptions, and I'm not talking about cleanliness but etiquette in general.

More civilized people? Better manners and etiquette?  Not true in NYC.

Straphangers on the MNRR (i.e: professionals going to work) can be just as unruly and sorely lacking in etiquette as straphangers on a subway train. Shoving, pushing and cursing at others.

Edited by realizm

Last i checked they are still riding the R32s to get to their destinations because it gets them to where they have to go to. I constanstly ride the (C) and i haven't heard anything about the R160s not being on the line anymore...

the riders havent noticed that yet... Its not like they hunt for R160s anyway. In addition they still had R32s on the line... Which was a smart move by the MTA

More civilized people? Better manners and etiquette?  Not true in NYC.

Straphangers on the MNRR (i.e: professionals going to work) can be just as unruly and sorely lacking in etiquette as straphangers on a subway train. Shoving, pushing and cursing at others.

If you think MNRR or LIRR has more civilized people riding them...I have some bad news for you.

The rudest straphangers I've encountered on a regular basis are the LIRR commuters who board at 50th St IRT pm rush to head to penn station. I'm trying to get OFF the train there at this hour and i'm sorely in the minority.  They're so hell bent on making their LIRR departure that they'll run right into you, shove their way into the car before anyone has a chance to get off, and commit any other subway indignity you can think of. 

One slammed into me running for the train and I retorted "watchit bucko". He turned to flip me off while still running and didn't notice the closing doors. Took a header on the subway doors and fell on his ass. That'll learn'em. 

The rudest straphangers I've encountered on a regular basis are the LIRR commuters who board at 50th St IRT pm rush to head to penn station. I'm trying to get OFF the train there at this hour and i'm sorely in the minority.  They're so hell bent on making their LIRR departure that they'll run right into you, shove their way into the car before anyone has a chance to get off, and commit any other subway indignity you can think of. 

One slammed into me running for the train and I retorted "watchit bucko". He turned to flip me off while still running and didn't notice the closing doors. Took a header on the subway doors and fell on his ass. That'll learn'em. 

I literally spat the coffee out of my mouth in laughter reading the second paragraph. Wow....

The straphangers @ the IND 53rd Street corridor are just as aggressive. Watch out once passengers board on 5th Ave or Lexington Avenue on the (E). Mayhem and uncontrolled chaos.