SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Their not absent its just that sometimes the R62As run at different times on the (6) , i spotted all 3 sets out yesterday at around 4:30 going to manhattan and 2 of them were back to back.

Obviously, but it's just a little odd they've only been seen running in the afternoons recently, when those trains could be doing many runs all day.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, that's bridge protection. 

yep you are right about that. no matter where you go all the trains are slow on those drawbridge. I live along the North Jersey Coast line they are slower when crossing the drawbridge. I think it started ever since or way back more when Amtrak hit the Portal bridge in Secacaus. This way the train wont be too much danger if the bridge didn't aligned right after it open. 

I'm gonna just put this out there, the (6) isn't getting all of the (7)'s R62A's half of them are going to the (4) while the (4)'s R142A's are going to the (6) making the (6) half and half. And the (4) being R62A/142 only, its cheaper and also when it comes to parts the R142A/188 will be in 2 yards instead of 3, what sense would it make to have mostly R62A's on the (6) with very little R142A's, this plan alone would make the most sense, this would be way better than having them on the (2) in case pollishits gets involved

Nonsense. There is no reason for the R62A's to be maintained at three shops (240th, Mosholu, and Pelham) when two would suffice

The Flushing CBTC project seems like a big waste of $$.

The purpose of Flushing CBTC is to replace a very old signal system that needs to be replaced. It could have been replaced with a new wayside signal system, but how would the life-cycle costs, capacities, and running times have compared? Not favorably, I suspect.

How come the MTA is being very quiet about the South Ferry and Whitehall St work.Are those projects making any progress?

Probably because nothing significant has happened yet. They have to go through the various RFPs before any work starts and I believe those are still ongoing.

I'm gonna just put this out there, the (6) isn't getting all of the (7)'s R62A's half of them are going to the (4) while the (4)'s R142A's are going to the (6) making the (6) half and half. And the (4) being R62A/142 only, its cheaper and also when it comes to parts the R142A/188 will be in 2 yards instead of 3, what sense would it make to have mostly R62A's on the (6) with very little R142A's, this plan alone would make the most sense, this would be way better than having them on the (2) in case pollishits gets involved

I don't know why , you wanna see R62As on the (4) so badly , but why go through all the work on moving the R142/As and R62As around , when most of the R62As are already slated to go on the (6) , you might see a few R62As on the (4) when needed, but Isn't it easier for Westchester Yard to just have to maintain their 400 R62As and whatever R142As remain ? 

Edited by R62AR33

A sign at Roosevelt Av for the local track says R Broadway Local to Whithall St. Spot the mistake?

Bunching on the (7). I had to wait 11 minutes for a (7) to 33 St; then the next was supposed to arrive in 2 minutes. I saw R62A Broadway Set 1891-1895 on the (7) today.

I was just on a 4 train that did a skip without the crew telling anybody. They should be really thankful I'm only going to report the crew and that I didn't pull the emergency brake. No announcement, no AAS update, nada.

If I wasn't having a doctors appointment I would've filed a report on the spot at Woodlawn...

I was just on a 4 train that did a skip without the crew telling anybody. They should be really thankful I'm only going to report the crew and that I didn't pull the emergency brake. No announcement, no AAS update, nada.

If I wasn't having a doctors appointment I would've filed a report on the spot at Woodlawn...

Because skipping a stop without notification is a real emergency.  <_<

What would activating the emergency brake accomplish? I don't know why they didn't make an announcement about the skip, but I can guarantee you that the crew would not open up the train at your station if they were planning on skipping it just because the cord was activated, and if you were on a NTT, pulling the cord wouldn't have stopped the train anyway. Did anyone press the ICS and remind the crew that they skipped their stop??

What would activating the emergency brake accomplish? I don't know why they didn't make an announcement about the skip, but I can guarantee you that the crew would not open up the train at your station if they were planning on skipping it just because the cord was activated, and if you were on a NTT, pulling the cord wouldn't have stopped the train anyway. Did anyone press the ICS and remind the crew that they skipped their stop??

Now the answer to that Id like to see...

Pulling the brake obviously isn't the right answer, but from a service standpoint, that is an extremely basic f**k-up on the crew's part if it truly skipped the C/R's mind -- especially in today's security-focused subway, where odd movements are under intense scrutiny.

Only excuse I see is if the C/R made the announcement to him/herself and didnt activate the PA system. But even if that would've happened, the T/O should have gone on the PA also to make sure.

At the bare minimum I've seen the T/O do the announcement if the C/R announcement was garbled/not heard or incorrect, or the C/R would just update the automated system beforehand.

A problem with the 142 is that when you activate the PA, you have to wait a second before you can press the talk button. If you press it immediately, the mic won't activate and nobody will hear your announcement. I used a technique where I listened for a static echo before I began speaking to make sure the PA mic was on. Still, the C/R should have looked for a reaction from the customers, since when announcing a skip run, there should be some customers running off the train and standing on the platform as soon as they hear that you're skipping their station.