SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I'm not sure if it might be anyone here on this forum per say, or if it is directly related to any of the other transit focused forums or facebook groups, although that can be remotely possible. Possibly he might have been harrassed by other classmates in his school outside the transit enthusiast social media sites on the internet which led him to flee, among other things. That cannot be ruled out either. The reasons for his dissapearence at this point of time is left up to the unknown.

Edited by realizm

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn I hope he is sound and I also hope that he isnt one of the forum members who was ridiculed on this forum and driven to run away...

And people wonder why some forums only allow 18+ on their forums.  Some people takes things too damn serious or they are too damn sensitive.

I'm not sure if it might be anyone here on this forum per say, or if it is directly related to any of the other transit focused forums or facebook groups, although that can be remotely possible. Possibly he might have been harrassed by other classmates in his school outside the transit enthusiast social media sites on the internet which led him to flee, among other things. That cannot be ruled out either. The reasons for his dissapearence at this point of time is left up to the unknown.

I would say it could of been a more social media type of thing (ie Facebook) or probably a school thing.  Again, backing from what I said above, the forums is not some little kid day care center, if you can't take criticism or other people's opinions, don't be in a forum.

--

Now that I got that out of my mind, I believe the child was autistic as well?  That could of played a factor in his daily life with his interests and all.  I do hope he is found and to be well, hate it when children disappear like this.

How does CBTC "allow" trains to run faster? 

It's not per-se that it allows them to run faster, the general benefit is that it allows them to run more frequently. 

Train capacity is limited by signaling. I won't get into the full intricacies of fixed-block signaling, but basically there are pre-defined areas of track, and a train in one of them means no trains can be in the two sections behind it (there are circumstances where this changes but, that's the gist of it). This creates a maximum number of trains that can be on a section of track, and from there a maximum number of trains per hour. 

CBTC uses "virtual" or "moving" blocks where instead of fixed sections of track, there's a distance behind the train which is kept empty for safety reasons. CBTC can adjust this distance based on train speed, and as a result, the tracks can be used more efficiently, allowing more trains on the tracks and more trains per hour. 

Theoretically, it can also increase the speed limits since all trains will go the exact prescribed safe speed for the situation. But most of the benefit is decreased headways. 

That makes sense, but what happens if the system has a problem. I remember hearing something about the (L) being down and that all signals had to be keyed or something?

How fast can a train switch ends if at a terminal a T/O enters the end of the train as opposed to walking through? For example, could a train pull out of a station stop at a signal, then the other T/O takes over and change directions? (how does it work at 71st Continental?)

I think this is a post of importance. I have discovered that we have a situation where a young teen is missing. The NYPD are making concerted efforts to locate his whereabouts and return him safely to his parents.

Apparently he is a railfanner. I want to make everyone here aware, hence the post.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/reported-sighting-of-missing-autistic-boy-in-queens-but-still-no-sign-of-teen/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/09/police-family-intensify-search-for-missing-autistic-boy-from-queens/

The transit focused community at subchat.com are also equally concerned. Thread can be found here: 

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1252762

The IRT signs have been playing announcements regarding the lost kid as of yesterday. I heard them twice at the 231 St (1) station.

I can't believe how much the MTA is pushing this search for this kid. They emailed AND robocalled me his description....and one of the perks of this job for me is supposed to be that I NEVER get email! Every 5 minutes on the radio too, as well as station PA announcements. If he's in the subway, there's no way he could have not been noticed by now.

Now.....are there any NYCTF regulars who haven't posted since Friday?

If hes a railfan, they should search the whole tri state area, when he first went missing he could have went on some commuter rail route and rode out somewhere out in the burbs, using the TVM you can purchase one way tickets to places as far as 90 miles out or to Philly, SEPTA doesn't have TVM so if you wanna ride there trains so have to speak of one of their employees to purchase a token or ticket. And the news said he can't talk so he would be stuck there pretty much.

I can't believe how much the MTA is pushing this search for this kid. They emailed AND robocalled me his description....and one of the perks of this job for me is supposed to be that I NEVER get email! Every 5 minutes on the radio too, as well as station PA announcements. If he's in the subway, there's no way he could have not been noticed by now.

Be a little more sensitive to the issue. This isn't normal circumstances. He can't talk.

Be a little more sensitive to the issue. This isn't normal circumstances. He can't talk.

This post is solidifies my post from the previous page.

I have to stand by this post, it's as straight-forward as it gets here.  I actually heard the announcement at DeKalb station as well around 5 PM. But 'til this day, the child isn't found yet?  If that's the case with all the announcements and all he should have been found already if he was truly lost in the subways.  

At this point, he could be any where by now.

Anyone taking the QBL today specifically the (E) Just know there were a lot of delays on it today and several (E) trains were over crowded. I had to wait like 10 mins for the train alone & when the first (E) came, it was so crowded that it was literally impossblie for anyone to get on. I'm suprised it didn't do a skip stop. Then the next one I was able to get on but it was too crowded and the train stopped in the tunnel 4 times but I got off at roosevelt and caught another (E) train. That was the worst trip I ever took on that line. So yea QBL (E) riders expect delays smh.

Edited by E For Erica

I agree with this. I'm sorry if it sounds insensitive, but how much resources can they put for one kid? I hope he is found alive, but at what expense? Maybe this is where the nypd would justify having cameras on every street block or something so they could track him.

I agree with this. I'm sorry if it sounds insensitive, but how much resources can they put for one kid? I hope he is found alive, but at what expense? Maybe this is where the nypd would justify having cameras on every street block or something so they could track him.

The parents have already taken out a lawsuit. MSNBC did a feature this afternoon. The (MTA) has no choice. I know we may not care about this, but they would look awfully bad in the eyes of many(I won't claim to know this, but it's pretty clear if a non-local network like MSNBC is featuring this) and that's probably the last thing they want.

I can't believe how much the MTA is pushing this search for this kid. (1)They emailed AND robocalled me his description....and one of the perks of this job for me is supposed to be that I NEVER get email! Every 5 minutes on the radio too, as well as station PA announcements. If he's in the subway, there's no way he could have not been noticed by now.

(2)Now.....are there any NYCTF regulars who haven't posted since Friday?

1.I think this situation isn't a normal situation so you have to expect something like that.While you are inconvenienced by a email,imagine how much worse the family's situation is,I think you should cut some slack.This isn't a normal situation.A kid who is interested in trains goes missing:of course they'll search every station and let every worker know so they can find him

2.That's the right thing to do...ask.Anything anyone here can do to help is a job well done wether its keeping an eye out for him or determining anythign about him that may help finding him is needed.I know when I will be traveling tomorrow to keep an eye out, just in case...

1.I think this situation isn't a normal situation so you have to expect something like that.While you are inconvenienced by a email,imagine how much worse the family's situation is,I think you should cut some slack.This isn't a normal situation.A kid who is interested in trains goes missing:of course they'll search every station and let every worker know so they can find him

2.That's the right thing to do...ask.Anything anyone here can do to help is a job well done wether its keeping an eye out for him or determining anythign about him that may help finding him is needed.I know when I will be traveling tomorrow to keep an eye out, just in case...

Agreed. I think Snowblock should, like you, keep an eye out for him since he works for the MTA and, as you said, every worker will be notified. Whether he does or not(I would hope he would) is entirely up to him.

Apparently from what I am reading here at this point, as much as I can see the points made regarding the issues concerning minors posting on the internet from the POV of the adults, we really should be listening to the kids on this one.

A child is missing, he needs to be found, that's all there is to it. No point debating this. It is really foolish to do so, that in itself lacks a sense of maturity more than anything!

Edited by realizm

He wasn't asking. He was being sarcastic and referencing the presence of kids with autism on the forums. It was tasteless, not well-intentioned. 

He wasn't asking. He was being sarcastic and referencing the presence of kids with autism on the forums. It was tasteless, not well-intentioned. 

I don't mean in any way to disparage this situation nor do I mean to demean a user, but i've always found Snowblock to be a bit above us all if you know what I mean and I feel this way cause he works for the (MTA). I remember how he he argued with realizm, wouldn't tell me what was in those secret stairs at 168th Street (1) cause I downvoted him on his initial response to me and now his, as realizm and MHV said, lack of maturity and tastelessness regarding this situation. Again, don't mean to take anything away from what's most important, which is finding this young man safe and sound, but I had to get this off my chest.

Well speaking for myself now, I am not specifically talking about anyone in particular. It would be equally foolish for me personally to bring up past grudges over past nonsense on the internet. I'm concerned about today, not yesterday or last month, or year. What I am saying is that let's not let this incident posted be a reason for a flame to spark, that was not my intentions in the least.

Yes let's move forward with this, thank you.