SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1.I think this situation isn't a normal situation so you have to expect something like that.While you are inconvenienced by a email,imagine how much worse the family's situation is,I think you should cut some slack.This isn't a normal situation.A kid who is interested in trains goes missing:of course they'll search every station and let every worker know so they can find him

2.That's the right thing to do...ask.Anything anyone here can do to help is a job well done wether its keeping an eye out for him or determining anythign about him that may help finding him is needed.I know when I will be traveling tomorrow to keep an eye out, just in case...

1. It wasn't an inconvenience at all, and I have definitely been keeping my eyes open. My point was that this was the first time I have EVER received an email from the MTA involving work. They don't even send out emails for weather emergencies (they do send robocalls though)! Which shows just how big a deal they are treating this, even compared to every other timely incident in the last 2 years.

2. Yet people are saying I'm tasteless for asking if he is a member of this forum, even though it's highly probable that he at least READS this site? if he did post here, his posts could be very helpful to figure out where he might have gone. Here's another question that you're all probably going to label tasteless too, even though it very well might be what happened - has anyone checked the 76th St area? His curiosity very well could have taken him back there, and NOBODY ever goes back there.

They were still sending out radio and PA announcements again today, but they weren't nearly as frequent as yesterday.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. It wasn't an inconvenience at all, and I have definitely been keeping my eyes open. My point was that this was the first time I have EVER received an email from the MTA involving work. They don't even send out emails for weather emergencies (they do send robocalls though)! Which shows just how big a deal they are treating this, even compared to every other timely incident in the last 2 years.

2. Yet people are saying I'm tasteless for asking if he is a member of this forum, even though it's highly probable that he at least READS this site? if he did post here, his posts could be very helpful to figure out where he might have gone. Here's another question that you're all probably going to label tasteless too, even though it very well might be what happened - has anyone checked the 76th St area? His curiosity very well could have taken him back there, and NOBODY ever goes back there.

They were still sending out radio and PA announcements again today, but they weren't nearly as frequent as yesterday.

It might be best if you don't comment on this anymore. Of course, I can't tell you what to do. Just a suggestion. One question: what makes you pick out 76th Street?

Crazy ride on the train this morning...

Got on the (A) at the junction thinking it would be a normal ride up to Penn Station. First, while waiting for the train, there was this dude in some daisy duke shorts, a tank top, and heels dancing in the platform. Snapped me a picture of it and got on the train. At Nostrand Av, I see the TOMC heading the other way. Thought I was seeing things at first, but you can't miss that silver and white paint scheme lol.

..Fast forward to High St, and we sit in the station, C/R said that there's a sick passenger at Chambers St. That pissed me off somewhat since I had a bus to catch. I double back to Jay St and find out everything is going over the (F), so i hop on the (C) and take that to Penn Station.

I get off the train already pressed for time and get slammed with the Comic Con crowd who all get on the wrong M34 and they hold up the line even more. I make my bus with only minutes to spare

And it isn't even noon yet...

Got on the (A) at the junction thinking it would be a normal ride up to Penn Station. First, while waiting for the train, there was this dude in some daisy duke shorts, a tank top, and heels dancing in the platform. Snapped me a picture of it and got on the train. At Nostrand Av, I see the TOMC heading the other way. Thought I was seeing things at first, but you can't miss that silver and white paint scheme lol.

..Fast forward to High St, and we sit in the station, C/R said that there's a sick passenger at Chambers St. That pissed me off somewhat since I had a bus to catch. I double back to Jay St and find out everything is going over the (F), so i hop on the (C) and take that to Penn Station.

I get off the train already pressed for time and get slammed with the Comic Con crowd who all get on the wrong M34 and they hold up the line even more. I make my bus with only minutes to spare

Definitely crazy, did you snap any pics of the TOMC?

I think you saw the Geometry train since it sports the sliver and blue scheme.

Hmmmm....I could be speculating here, either it could be the Track Geometry Car since they've been doing track work past Euclid...or if that was the TOMC and they're not at 207 like I saw yesterday, then something could be going down perhaps? Maybe to pick up old equpiment? The TOMC did when they picked up R36WF cars 9586-87 at Concourse Yard weeks ago. Just a guess here...

It might be best if you don't comment on this anymore. Of course, I can't tell you what to do. Just a suggestion. One question: what makes you pick out 76th Street?

He raised a good question.If he is a railfanner and reads this site and lets assume wants to run away and not be found-where else would you go?76 Street...

Unrelated:Can some one explain how most of the (4) trains today are all (5) train cars?

Because the (4) line is out between Woodlawn and 167, so Mosholu Yard has no access, so they have to borrow equipment from Unionport.

Terrible idea not running extra (D) service, btw. My first trip was crushloaded in both directions.

Also, today they finally gave us scripts to announce every 15 minutes, regarding Avonte Oquendo. They should have started this LAST weekend.

Edited by Snowblock

Because the (4) line is out between Woodlawn and 167, so Mosholu Yard has no access, so they have to borrow equipment from Unionport.

Terrible idea not running extra (D) service, btw. My first trip was crushloaded in both directions.

Also, today they finally gave us scripts to announce every 15 minutes, regarding Avonte Oquendo. They should have started this LAST weekend.

So when the (D) is out in the Bronx, there are extra (4) trains, but not when it's the other way around?

In their defense, it would be a royal pain to turn a train at 145 unlike at 149-Concourse. Platform C/R's, relays and all that stuff.

edit: Wait, what would have happened if the Yankees were still playing instead of the Red Sox? The GO wouldnt have happened right?

Edited by paulrivera

You're out downvoting me, and you're telling me that post wasn't snarky in the least? If you say so man. Cause it sure didn't come off as benevolent, but...

So when the (D) is out in the Bronx, there are extra (4) trains, but not when it's the other way around?

In their defense, it would be a royal pain to turn a train at 145 unlike at 149-Concourse. Platform C/R's, relays and all that stuff.

edit: Wait, what would have happened if the Yankees were still playing instead of the Red Sox? The GO wouldnt have happened right?

There is track work on CPW SB, which forces all CPW trains onto one local track, I think there is very little room to spare with all that switching and 10mph runs between 86 and 59th.

They still ran baseball specials the first weekend of that CPW GO. It was a disaster, but they still did it.

They could have run some extra (D) service between Bedford Park (turn on the middle track in the station) and 161 (clean out, change ends on the middle track) from 0700-2100 to absorb some of that extra ridership from the (4) .....those buses from Mosholu & Woodlawn were coming down completely full!

They could have run some extra (D) service between Bedford Park (turn on the middle track in the station) and 161 (clean out, change ends on the middle track) from 0700-2100 to absorb some of that extra ridership from the (4)

They never do that for some reason. Then again last time the (4) line was shut down in the Bronx IIRC weekend (D) headways were still 8 minutes. So effectively the D is running at 250% of MTA's loading guidelines in the Bronx, instead of 200% before the weekend cuts.

.....those buses from Mosholu & Woodlawn were coming down completely full!

The one time MTA wishes they ran Bee-Line. Most of those people are coming to/from Yonkers anyway...

I'll probably see the fun for myself next weekend, I went away this weekend.

He raised a good question.If he is a railfanner and reads this site and lets assume wants to run away and not be found-where else would you go?76 Street...

Unrelated:Can some one explain how most of the (4) trains today are all (5) train cars?

Don't they lay up (C) trains in the area 76th street is supposed to be? Also being that he's a railfan I'm sure he's aware of the dangers of walking the roadbed from Grant Ave {There's no way he could walk from Eucild without a transit employee noticing him I'd imagine}. And I doubt he would want to stay down there for a week, Besides there's photos of that area online...

(1)Don't they lay up (C) trains in the area 76th street is supposed to be? Also being that he's a railfan I'm sure he's aware of the dangers of walking the roadbed from Grant Ave {There's no way he could walk from Eucild without a transit employee noticing him I'd imagine}. (2)And I doubt he would want to stay down there for a week, Besides there's photos of that area online...

1.Its still a possibility and more likely than you think.ALSO:(C) trains lay up in Pitkin Yard which has one track that curves toward 76th St and ends at a cinderblock wall and the famous signal facing the wrong way

Track map:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/detail-pitkin.png

2.You never know.For all we know he is down there with a pick and shovel...

1.Its still a possibility and more likely than you think.ALSO: (C) trains lay up in Pitkin Yard which has one track that curves toward 76th St and ends at a cinderblock wall and the famous signal facing the wrong way

Track map:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/detail-pitkin.png

2.You never know.For all we know he is down there with a pick and shovel...

He's going to dig though a concrete wall using a shovel? I doubt that.

IF he had a computer you don't think the cops looked though his internet history for clues? Its highly unlikely he knew 76th street existed if he never been on one of the railfan sites. If he had an computer and 76th street kept popping up in his history I'm almost certain the cops checked that area already.

I just don't see the point of him digging for a week just to find a abandoned subway station that may or may not exist.

Some autistic people are known to like bodies of water, his school was in LIC IIRC, its possible he may have ended up in the East River, I hope not though, as if he ended up in a body of water for a week it couldn't have ended well for him :(

Edited by trainfan22

Crazy incident happened. Somebody passed out on the northbound (C) Train @ 59th Street. 15 minutes later, still waiting for help. They ended up sending the (D) Local because of that BUT it was stupid because there was a (C) Train at 42nd Street on the Express tracks because of that sick person. And when we got to 125th Street (On The (D) Local), there was a (C) DIRECTLY Behind us. And thats the same (C) Train that had the sick passenger and even the C/R said they should have had both that (C) And (D) Express because the (C) was now 15 min late. And then the (C) Train that I mentioned before on the Express tracks via 8th Avenue was behind that (C) Train (Local as well). So basically they sent the (D) Local which could have been avoided, and they should have let the late (C) Train go express. It was like wow. Really?