SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Saw bunching on the (F) train at Broadway-Lafayette Street. I was waiting for a Metropolitan Avenue bound (M) to get to my home near the Fresh Pond Road station and I saw a Coney Island bound R46 (F) depart the station. Then not even 30 seconds later, another train arrives. I was expecting it to be an (M) but it was another (F), this time an R160. The the (M) came almost immediately after the R160 (F) left the station. I know at times two (F) s come before an (M) but that was just ridiculous on how close they were. Was there any delays that might have caused this? Smh and I thought bunching on the Chicago L Red Line was ridiculous.

In my opinion the R46 F trains get behind schedule more often than the R160's because of the longer load/unload times which cause longer station dwells.

I've begun taking the R home to queens because with its hurricane-shortened route and newer equipment it's more reliable than the M.

And two F's then an M is standard. It's not uncommon to see 3 F's before an M finally comes

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion the R46 F trains get behind schedule more often than the R160's because of the longer load/unload times which cause longer station dwells.

I've begun taking the R home to queens because with its hurricane-shortened route and newer equipment it's more reliable than the M.

And two F's then an M is standard. It's not uncommon to see 3 F's before an M finally comes

I know the R46 has longer loading times due to the fact that it's a longer subway car and it has fewer doors but they still shouldn't bunch like that. Those R46s in my opinion need to go ASAP because they are getting pretty old too. Edited by Q67 via Borden

I seriously cannot wait until the present work at Lexington Avenue-63rd Street is put to an end and that the (Q) is finally rerouted to the Second Avenue Subway. That way, no more trains would have to be forced from Astoria in the AM Rush and back to Astoria in the PM Rush. I highly doubt that Ditmars Boulevard, like pretty much every other two-tracked terminal, can handle trains every 2-3 minutes. I was completely surprised to discover that, before the Montague Street tube closure hit, that southbound (N) and (Q) slightly less frequently ran every 6-8 minutes coming out of Astoria in the AM Rush and back northbound into Astoria in the PM Rush, same goes for the (R) on its Queens Boulevard branch. No wonder we have to put with these horrific delays every now and then, especially because of the BMT Broadway Line's two only issues which is the 60th Street tube and 34th Street-Herald Square.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Please stop the downvoting if it does not merit one. I don't percieve any of the posts as offensive, condescending or meant to harrass. Next time it would be better to simply post an opposing viewpoint by means of a post, not a downvote.

RollOverMy Head I cancelled the red, now you are zeroed out.

Please stop pretending you're a moderator. If people feel like using the upvote/downvote option instead of making a post that's either redundant because their opinion was already stated or making a one-word response, that's their prerogative. I don't know why it bothers you so much.

Please stop pretending you're a moderator. If people feel like using the upvote/downvote option instead of making a post that's either redundant because their opinion was already stated or making a one-word response, that's their prerogative. I don't know why it bothers you

Well whoever downvoted violated Forum Rules...

Quote:"If you disagree with another member, respond to the subject"

This whole vote post up or down thing is so out of control.  As a poster, I think the old system worked a lot better, esp. since so many people vote down posts accidentally (often times due to the cell phone, etc.) and then you can't change it.  Really weird.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The MTA can save some shuttle bus $$ on these Rockaways GO's by running only one bus shuttle, Howard Beach-Broad Channel-Beach 90 St for connection to their Far Rock-Rock Park (H). I don't see why it can't be done, it's not like there's massive crowding to contend with.

The MTA can save some shuttle bus $$ on these Rockaways GO's by running only one bus shuttle, Howard Beach-Broad Channel-Beach 90 St for connection to their Far Rock-Rock Park (H). I don't see why it can't be done, it's not like there's massive crowding to contend with.

And you know that because how exactly?

Edit:

I seriously cannot wait until the present work at Lexington Avenue-63rd Street is put to an end and that the (Q) is finally rerouted to the Second Avenue Subway. That way, no more trains would have to be forced from Astoria in the AM Rush and back to Astoria in the PM Rush. I highly doubt that Ditmars Boulevard, like pretty much every other two-tracked terminal, can handle trains every 2-3 minutes. I was completely surprised to discover that, before the Montague Street tube closure hit, that southbound (N) and (Q) slightly less frequently ran every 6-8 minutes coming out of Astoria in the AM Rush and back northbound into Astoria in the PM Rush, same goes for the (R) on its Queens Boulevard branch. No wonder we have to put with these horrific delays every now and then, especially because of the BMT Broadway Line's two only issues which is the 60th Street tube and 34th Street-Herald Square.

Please stop the downvoting if it does not merit one. I don't percieve any of the posts as offensive, condescending or meant to harrass. Next time it would be better to simply post an opposing viewpoint by means of a post, not a downvote.

RollOverMy Head I cancelled the red, now you are zeroed out.

This whole vote post up or down thing is so out of control. As a poster, I think the old system worked a lot better, esp. since so many people vote down posts accidentally (often times due to the cell phone, etc.) and then you can't change it. Really weird.

+1.

Thanks realizm.

Youre welcome.

Moving forward now. So as we were saying in regards to rapid transit and the Fulton St GO's?

Edited by realizm

I know the R46 has longer loading times due to the fact that it's a longer subway car and it has fewer doors but they still shouldn't bunch like that. Those R46s in my opinion need to go ASAP because they are getting pretty old too.

Well that' your opinion about the R46s, and they won't get retired until the R211 comes in ,so get used to it and that won't be maybe for another 6-9 yrs

Logically speaking, downvoting is an action of responding to the subject, the rule does not state that you actually have to post.

---

Anyways, I miss the (R) into Lower Manhattan already..sigh taking the (A)(C) or (E) to W 4 for the (B) back down or the (A) or (C) to the (R) for the (B) and (Q) is beginning to bore me. (Yes I know, I have the option of taking the (2) / (3) to Atlantic as well but eh.

Small scrapping update for those interested:

Two more Redbird cars were trucked out this afternoon. They made their way across the George Washington Bridge at about a quarter to 2pm today.

Up next for scrapping: Rider Car RD407 (ex R33ML 8869) that derailed and got damaged a while back.

Wonder which two those were... Definitely getting grim, you know it's bad when Corona only has one Redbird left.

Logically speaking, downvoting is an action of responding to the subject, the rule does not state that you actually have to post.

Right, but I think we all know (and Harry has been quite clear) that the downvote is pretty much reserved for intentionally malicious or unnecessary posts, not just things that you disagree with.

Perhaps downvotes should be enabled provided there's a reason (spam or a person makes a counter argument about why they don't agree with a certain post).

I too hope the R27 is saved. Such a shame we've gone from a couple hundred of them (r27/30) to a handful now in over 20yrs. Would be nice to have it up an running with the R30, R16 and R34 cars. I mean, the R9s, it's like every year or 2 there's another car being restored. So why can't we get that 4 running again? I'd love a B division version of the tomc.

Edited by Grand Concourse

---

Anyways, I miss the (R) into Lower Manhattan already..sigh taking the (A)(C) or (E) to W 4 for the (B) back down or the (A) or (C) to the (R) for the (B) and (Q) is beginning to bore me. (Yes I know, I have the option of taking the (2) / (3) to Atlantic as well but eh.

I miss the regular normal (R) through the tunnel.  :)

Right, but I think we all know (and Harry has been quite clear) that the downvote is pretty much reserved for intentionally malicious or unnecessary posts, not just things that you disagree with.

Exactly. Thats what the thread explicitly states.

Should I link or quote  it for the record?

Perhaps downvotes should be enabled provided there's a reason (spam or a person makes a counter argument about why they don't agree with a certain post).

I too hope the R27 is saved. Such a shame we've gone from a couple hundred of them (r27/30) to a handful now in over 20yrs. Would be nice to have it up an running with the R30, R16 and R34 cars. I mean, the R9s, it's like every year or 2 there's another car being restored. So why can't we get that 4 running again? I'd love a B division version of the tomc.

That's what I'm actually hoping for. That R27, despite the consensus from some posters elsewhere that it should be gotten rid of just because we already have an R30, for example, 8145 does look solid.  Unless there's a really good reason to (like bent or rusted frames or something beyond repair), there's no reason to get rid of it.  The way I see it, If we can keep an extra R12 car and an R14, we can certainly keep this one.

Wonder which two those were... Definitely getting grim, you know it's bad when Corona only has one Redbird left.

I wish I knew...saw then both from Riverside Drive on the GWB. I'm thinking they could be some R33WF cars.

I wish I knew...saw then both from Riverside Drive on the GWB. I'm thinking they could be some R33WF cars.

9307, 9310, and 9400-9401 have all gone up to 207th recently (the latter two scrapped earlier), so not a bad bet that it's a Corona-bird.

Edited by MHV9218

Problem is people perceive the wrong judgement when a particular person down-votes something.  For example if I were to down-vote a specific post, the original poster would automatically assume I'm intentionally down-voting for no reason; which of course isn't the case.  What I'm basically trying to say is, a lot of people jump to conclusions on this forum. Harsh but true.

----

Anyways, today on the (Q) I think some lady on the other end of the car got her phone stolen.  I felt sorry for her but also felt a little pissed that the cops couldn't handle the situation outside the train instead of stalling us for 10 minutes.  Thankfully I made it to class with 2 minutes to spare.