SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I hope they save that R27, it will run good with 8506 due to it not being rebuilt, I rather see that than that shit called the R44 in the museum

I really do hope they save 8145 as well. I do wonder what's up with the car though...looks to be hooked to a train of Arnines. We'll probably find out soon enough.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Preliminary structural repair work for a pending Essex Street overhaul is in the works. Nothing though on the Bowery at the moment. Probably because it is low priority due to low ridership but that's just my take on it.

Essex/Delancey was fully rehabbed about ten years ago.

Nice shot of the Broadway Ferry terminal.

According to this post on subchat: http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1254401

"There are those two R30s from CIY waiting for scrap on the dock track. I heard they and that R27 are NOT getting shop time to get stripped of their 2CYs and M.G.s. Very sad the shops aren't as friendly as they used to be"

So it seems they're sending off R27 8145 after all... Unfortunate though, especially since it'll be going off with parts that could go on other preserved cars, like that 2CY compressors and such. Oh well...

According to this post on subchat: http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1254401

"There are those two R30s from CIY waiting for scrap on the dock track. I heard they and that R27 are NOT getting shop time to get stripped of their 2CYs and M.G.s. Very sad the shops aren't as friendly as they used to be"

So it seems they're sending off R27 8145 after all... Unfortunate though, especially since it'll be going off with parts that could go on other preserved cars, like that 2CY compressors and such. Oh well...

They're f**king idiots if they get rid of 8145, that's the only R27 left and it could be linked to 8506, they can't use the other R30s unless they modify them to run with 8506, 8145 would save time because they weren't rebuilt

They're f**king idiots if they get rid of 8145, that's the only R27 left and it could be linked to 8506, they can't use the other R30s unless they modify them to run with 8506, 8145 would save time because they weren't rebuilt

And it's sad that it could be going. I've always thought that, unless there was a big problem with the car, be it a rusted frame or rotted floor or something dangerous that it cannot be preserved, there's no reason why 8145 can't be saved. Just why it cannot be saved or preserved, is something I would like to know. That's if we ever do know; people closely related to the happenings on the inside might have some sort of knowledge to what's going on, but won't or can't share the reasons, whatever they might be. Either way, it's still unfortunate. Time moves on though...

My way of thinking is this: take the R12/14 combo (5782 and 5871, respectively) at 207th Street Yard for example. Those two cars have sat outdoors for a few decades. About half of that time was spent in the open sea air of Coney Island Yard. They've endured practically all the elements - blizzards, rainstorms, hurricanes, to name a few. Yet these cars are saved for preservation. We have an R10, 3189, that sat immobile but protected from weather inside Pitkin Yard for over 20 years. It got saved for preservation. Why not 8145, which along with 3189, sat protected from the elements for years? What problems does the car have that, not even the Railway Preservation Corp., wanted to preserve it? And why wasn't the New York Transit Museum interested in this car?

At least we have R30 8506. And I'm happy, grateful, and satisfied with the collection we have and of the collections of elsewhere. I'm glad they saved an R44 even. That's why when I visit the museum, I give a donation any way I can so that they can keep going with what they do.  It's only that, adding an R27 to the collection - or any collection for that matter - is a great opportunity: not only it's the only remaining R27, but it's a specimen of Redbird subway cars on the BMT. And it's been a place where employees have gone thought training (no pun intended) to help move this city. It's just unfortunate that 8145 could be leaving us soon and there is an opportunity to save some part of history. Just my $0.02

Edited by M. Friday 1986

Well they could link it with 8463, since those WH R30s weren't rebuilt either, just painted red.

Today's scrap notes, 10/21/13:

R30 ex. Coney Island School Cars 8424-25 were trucked out of Manhattan today on the way to Newark at about 2pm this afternoon. Photos of this will follow this evening, so keep an eye out for that, folks.

Next up on the scrap line: R27 8145 (terrible!) and R30 8463 - the Pitkin Pair.

Thanks for the tip, good thing you just told me this. Now I will have to figure out an alternative for the evening commute. sad to hear that there is yet another 12-9. It's because of the stress of the holiday season. More people are depressed during this time then during other parts of the year. Sad how it goes in New York, it can be a unforgiving and relentlesly emotionally harsh environment for many to deal with who are on hard times.

All of the B-Div trains with the exception of the 68(A)s have Eastern Division route bullets on them. When the signs were replaced in the '80s, it made sense to order one set in bulk that included all routes instead of multiple sets that either excluded or included all bullets depending on the car class.