SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Can anyone explain the red flag on this R32 in Fresh Pond Yard?

img_131267.jpg

The flag, and the chock, indicates  "Do Not Move". CED uses the red flags on equipment that's being worked on. I would imagine that System Safety would use a similar method on an "incident" train although I've never encountered one . Maybe an active RTO person can elaborate further.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's scrap notes, 10/22/13:

R27 8145 and R30 8463 have finally left to New Jersey a little before 2pm this afternoon. Four trucks were used: two for the railcars and two for the cars' trucks and other parts. Both cars have been stripped of glass and windows it seems. As a gag, pieces of paper were put on the end rollsign windows of 8145 - (C) New Jersey. Like the school cars that left yesterday, 8463 still had advertisements up inside. Photos of this move will be up tonight.

In other notes, R40 cars 4280-81 and R42 4572-73 have joined up with the Arnines at 207 Street Yard. The R95 Revenue Collection Cars, I did not see their location in the yard (pehaps inside the shop?).

No cars next up on the scrap line at this time.

Edited by M. Friday 1986

The flag, and the chock, indicates  "Do Not Move". CED uses the red flags on equipment that's being worked on. I would imagine that System Safety would use a similar method on an "incident" train although I've never encountered one . Maybe an active RTO person can elaborate further.

Do you know what CED stands for?

Today's scrap notes, 10/22/13:

R27 8145 and R30 8463 have finally left to New Jersey a little before 2pm this afternoon. Four trucks were used: two for the railcars and two for the cars' trucks and other parts. Both cars have been stripped of glass and windows it seems. As a gag, pieces of paper were put on the end rollsign windows of 8145 - (C) New Jersey. Like the school cars that left yesterday, 8463 still had advertisements up inside. Photos of this move will be up tonight.

In other notes, R40 cars 4280-81 and R42 4572-73 have joined up with the Arnines at 207 Street Yard. The R95 Revenue Collection Cars, I did not see their location in the yard (pehaps inside the shop?).

No cars next up on the scrap line at this time.

So the R40 and R42 may run on the hiolday train?!?!?

^^ I can't but man that train is massive.

You'd be amazed at how huge these things really are once you're on the catwalk. A good spot to view them at grade is the dead-end street just north of the Ave H station, east of the tracks.

And thus why I never really took interest in the London Tube, small ass trains, can't take 'em seriously..

Now these.. whoa. good size comparison in this pic.549144_10151053824944014_360018211_n.jpg

Edited by Jamaica Line

Was in brooklyn today doing sales for my job. 1st off, I only saw 2 R160s on the (F) :/ lol and 2nd, when I took the train going back there was another (F) on the express track on Church Ave. But it wasn't even going express. -_- That train almost trolled me. I'm glad I stayed on the train I was on. 

But seriously, I'm saving up for a car now. I can't take actually using the subway anymore. I'm tired of looking at people.

Edited by E For Erica

Was in brooklyn today doing sales for my job. 1st off, I only saw 2 R160s on the (F) :/ lol and 2nd, when I took the train going back there was another (F) on the express track on Church Ave. But it wasn't even going express. -_- That train almost trolled me. I'm glad I stayed on the train I was on. 

But seriously, I'm saving up for a car now. I can't take actually using the subway anymore. I'm tired of looking at people.

Yeeup there are almost No 160's on the (F) these days. They're all on the (R) ... (No complaints from here in astoria  :D )

And, as per the car - having driven in New York for a decade before living in a place walking distance to the Subway - I'd prefer the infinite indignities of mass transit over the trials of driving. 

Seriously. I have a car, I never use the damn thing I just rent it out to my friends. 

How is this possible?

ServiceStatusFail_zpsd085a846.jpg

"Some Southbound (G) trains are running express from Bergen St to Church Av" That's impossible... The Culver Express tracks don't connect to the crosstown line.

Saw only one R46 set on the Queens-Manhattan  (R) today during the evening rush.

I got one earlier around 3:20 PM, I guess I was lucky enough to get that one set. South motor was 5718.

Edited by 4P3607

Yeeup there are almost No 160's on the (F) these days. They're all on the (R) ... (No complaints from here in astoria  :D )

And, as per the car - having driven in New York for a decade before living in a place walking distance to the Subway - I'd prefer the infinite indignities of mass transit over the trials of driving. 

Seriously. I have a car, I never use the damn thing I just rent it out to my friends. 

Lol it's nice seeing 160s on the (R) not complaining, But I miss them on the (F) at the same time. But they're stil still there & there's always gonna be 160s on my home line. (hint: my signature) yea. And I'm still gonna take the subway and bus from time to time after I get my car. I just need to know what's it's like to travel in style and have control of the stops I make for once :)

Edited by E For Erica

How is this possible?

ServiceStatusFail_zpsd085a846.jpg

"Some Southbound (G) trains are running express from Bergen St to Church Av" That's impossible... The Culver Express tracks don't connect to the crosstown line.

I got one earlier around 3:20 PM, I guess I was lucky enough to get that one set. South motor was 5718.

Maybe the (G) bypassed the stations.

Preliminary structural repair work for a pending Essex Street overhaul is in the works. Nothing though on the Bowery at the moment. Probably because it is low priority due to low ridership but that's just my take on it.

Link: http://mta.info/capitaldashboard/10_14/agencies/t/t6041284_all_data.htm

Link: http://mta.info/capitaldashboard/10_14/agencies/t/t6070323_all_data.htm

essex1_zpsc8d6702f.jpg

essex2_zpsc5e18e94.jpg

Essex Street? Yes you know the deal, that was a former trolly terminal. Here's some background info as you railfan the station (I need to do this myself one day and get pics now that I think about it since I only posted pics of certain stations on the loop and Jamaica El over the summer). Also the spurs on the Brooklyn side of the bridge was moved and rebuilt prior to Nassau Street Loop construction and rebuilt Jamaica Elevated construction as part of the Dual Contracts to accomidate steel cars which accounts for the empty space @ Essex and also on the Brooklyn side of the Willy B before Marcy Avenue in its odd layouts.

Bway.Ferry.jpg

Source: http://www.freewebs.com/mellowone/earlybrooklynelroutes.htm

WillB.oldphoto.gif

Source: http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/willb.html

low-line-2.jpg

Source: http://www.boweryboogie.com/2011/11/viewing-the-essex-street-trolley-terminal-future-home-of-low-line-video/

Official MTA video:

The urban planner in me thinks that is so cool!

It would be awesome for them to leave the tracks in place along with the trolley wire and such to give it that industrial look. Defiently agree with using it as a night club or such (as highlighted in the video) Access to tracks and noise may be an issue however.

I love spaces like this!

Don't fall for it. Between gas and insurance you're more than losing money when compared to a monthly. You haven't even parked, been stuck on the Van Wyck or had some idiot sideswipe you on a regular basis. One thing about transit is for better or worse you can rest or get things done while traveling, such is not the case while driving. Also don't get caught during ticket season, which if you're a new driver it's quite easy to get picked off during. Even for something innocuous such as having your old license plates in the passenger seat (improperly displayed plates), there goes $60... and your car hasn't even broken down yet. Having a car in NYC is a suckers move.

Maybe the (G) bypassed the stations.

i think it still possible because iirc they installed a switch track after carroll st  during the culver viaduct project. it possible the switch was still there and never got removed. that why it said express from bergen st to church ave.

On wikipedia it says that the R40 School car 4162-4163 pair was transfered from East New York Yard to Concourse Yard for storage and  then scrapped. Is this true? If so, when was it transfered and when was it scrapped?  I know that wikipedia is not always accurate though.       On nycsubway.org R40 page it says that it is still a school car at ENY. I know that it sometimes takes a while to get updated. Can someone tell me what happened to the pair.