SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I watched this great video today:

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One question, did the (5) train ran express or local during the late night G.O. this weekend? I ask because I know the (4) went local so I can't imagine having 3 lines running on one track despite 20 minute headways between trains.

Guest lance25

This past weekend, Saturday only, the (5) ran local in Manhattan, presumably because of gap filler work at 14 St-Union Sq. However, that has not been the norm during this ongoing project. Usually, during the weekend G.O.s, the (5) will run express and the (6) will run normal service between Pelham Bay Park and Brooklyn Bridge. During the overnight reroutes, though, the (6) is truncated to 125 St southbound and the (5) runs local to replace it.

This past weekend, Saturday only, the (5) ran local in Manhattan, presumably because of gap filler work at 14 St-Union Sq. However, that has not been the norm during this ongoing project. Usually, during the weekend G.O.s, the (5) will run express and the (6) will run normal service between Pelham Bay Park and Brooklyn Bridge. During the overnight reroutes, though, the (6) is truncated to 125 St southbound and the (5) runs local to replace it.

So how come the (4) was able to be express (except from Grand Central southbound)while the (5) had to be local in the whole manhattan?

Guest lance25

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea why the (5) ran full local on Saturday. Perhaps it was to provide extra local service since the (7) was out between Times Sq and Queensboro Plaza. Riders are advised to transfer at 74 St-Broadway/Roosevelt Av to the (E) train for Manhattan service, specifically Grand Central, and we all know you can only transfer to it at 51 St, so that may have been why.

Thanks Lance. IIRC this past week, that GO where the (6) terminated at 125 indeed happened but during overnight weekdays. The (4) and (5) ran local. Probably the (5) went local on Saturday because of the (7) and probably went express on Sunday including late nights.

MTA Service Notice

Posted: 11/09/2011 1:44PM

Due to a police investigation at the Avenue M Station, uptown (Q)trains are running express between the Kings Plaza Station and the Prospect Park Station.

Please expect delays in service on the (;) and (Q)trains at this time.

What's wrong with this advisory?

MTA Service Notice

Posted: 11/09/2011 1:44PM

Due to a police investigation at the Avenue M Station, uptown (Q)trains are running express between the Kings Plaza Station and the Prospect Park Station.

Please expect delays in service on the (;) and (Q)trains at this time.

What's wrong with this advisory

The email said this:

Uptown Q trains express Kings Highway to Prospect Park, due to police investigation at Avenue M.

Has resumed as of now.

Oy vey. Anyway about 12-7's (police investigation), they can consist of "informal" train checks by a couple of cops (which are seldom called in by veterans that know they'll only be held there a minute or two), and formal expansive train checks by noticeably more cops (usually four or more) that are usually called in, a badge number given, and a report is generated at RCC that translate into the emails and website posting customers see. They also typically check multiple trains as well in a row. Of course, as many of you know, 12-9's are also considered police investigations to the public as they do involve police, and they don't want such sensitive information from getting released to the public anyway. In fact, less than half the 12-9's that occur even make it to sites like this and subchat (about three 12-9's I know about in the last week or two I never even bothered to post it here). I'd say less than 1/4 or 1/5 of them make the news as sometimes someone isn't enterprising enough to leak it to them. Police investigation is the term used to cover anything that isn't mechanical in nature with the trains or signal system.

A couple of things weird things happened this morning:

1. The (E) train I rode went on the local track. It stopped @ Briarwood-Van Wyck Blvd, which it isn't suppose to since it's an express train. Also when I got off @ the Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike station it was on the local track then as well. I don't know if it went to 75 av (another local stop). It was stalled for a minute so I assume it went back to Forest Hills-71 Av on the Express Track. (I hope).

2. Before that there was an R160 Train that came signed up as the (F) @ Jamaica Center. It still said Jamaica 179st. I didn't see if it was corrected as my train left already.

Possible G.O as a result for these events maybe?:confused:

Edited by gtNovaBusRTS9369

A couple of things weird things happened this morning:

1. The (E) train I rode went on the local track. It stopped @ Briarwood-Van Wyck Blvd, which it isn't suppose to since it's an express train. Also when I got off @ the Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike station it was on the local track then as well. I don't know if it went to 75 av (another local stop). It was stalled for a minute so I assume it went back to Forest Hills-71 Av on the Express Track. (I hope).

2. Before that there was an R160 Train signed up as the (F). It still said Jamaica 179st. I didn't see if it was corrected as my train left already.

Possible G.O as a result for these events maybe?:confused:

Dont see anything wrong or strange with anything you said.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out some of the acronyms used on here, it's not going too well. What are the following, please? (the brackets are my guesses)

G.O. (general something with an O )

IIRC (interborough information resource center?)

RCC (regional command center?)

Thank you ;)

G/O=General Order

IIRC=If I Remember Correctly (nothing to do with the subway system)!

IIRC (interborough information resource center?)

I'm so sorry, but I wish you knew how hard I laughed at this.

Guest lance25

I took the (L) for the first time (for all of one stop LOL). And you know what? I can see why some people don't like the automated announcements. The ones in the stations are flipping annoying, especially the B-Division ones. "The next. (L) train. Is now arriving on the. 8th Avenue-bound. Track." "The next. Rockaway Pkwy-bound. (L) train. Will arrive in. 3. Minutes." "The following. Rockaway Pkwy-bound. (L) train. Will arrive in. 10. Minutes." Now imagine that repeating every time the trains get to under a minute, 5 or 10 minutes.

I don't know if it's Carolyn's inflections she did for the recordings or the long pauses between the recorded sections, but hearing that so many times in a five minute period just tries my patience. It's even worse when the things aren't working properly. It announced that the train was arriving three times before it actually, well, arrived.

And why does it announce when the second train is coming in? If I'm waiting for the train arriving in under three minutes, I couldn't care less about the one coming in ten minutes. I get why it's listed on the boards. The (L) is so cramped and at least a few won't be able to get on the first train, but jeez, don't announce the second train well before the first is set to come in.

In the old days - meaning well before the automated electronic announcements - there was the tendency on the part of riders to wonder just WHEN the next train will arrive. That is why plenty of people look down the tracks. In the days before they welded the rails - the tracks would click to announce an on-coming train - well before the beams of light were near the station.

However due to plenty of service cutbacks, service changes and plenty of other stuff - when a train arrived - folks would rush the doors, folks would hold the doors to try as they might to get on-board THAT train - yes, the one that finally arrived. Why would they (the riders) go through the effort of holding the doors, fighting the doors, and being upset when the train left the station without them. They had no clue what-so-ever just WHEN or IF the next train will arrive.

There were simply just too many times, when riders have missed trains (the train is pulling out of the station just as they arrive) where there was a God-awful long wait for the next train, and simply no assurance what-so-ever that there would EVER be another train.

The automated computerized public announcements concerning the arriving train, and an announcement about the train that follows helps to relieve and calm down the riders. To say - that yes, there is another train. Now since the computers don't lie (just yet) most folks believe them. (smile)

There used to be a time when the conductors would say, "There's a train immediately behind this one" while he/she is trying to get the doors closed so that train can move. In the old days (1970's before the budget cuts) that WAS A TRUE STATEMENT because the riders could actually see the approach lights of the following train. Because of the budget cuts, and the plenty changes in transit since then - NOBODY, BUT NOBODY REALLY BELIEVES THE CONDUCTORS when they say that there is a train behind the one in front of the riders. The conductors just say that - so they could move on - it is not a completely true statement - and the riders don't really believe it.

Once the computers start lying to the public about the arrival time of the next train the computers won't be believed, and that would not be good. Right now, however - the arrival information about the nearest train, and the one after it is useful for many riders.

Mike

Guest lance25

I have no problem with the technology being there. I love those displays and train arrival announcements because, like you said, I don't have to look down the tunnel and hope that train is arriving within the next few minutes. I just have a problem with the same announcement playing over and over almost nonstop in a five minute period. I don't know if that's a glitch in the programming or bad coding in the software. Either way, that can be easily fixed.