SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today my (R) train over the Bridge via 6th Ave, rode it all the way to Nas's old stomping grounds before taking the (F) to the (J) - (2) back home. I wonder what happened on Broadway to cause that?

Also does anybody know how common the R160 (R) train is? I go out of way during weekends and rush hour (When there most likely to pop up) and never see them. For some weird reason its really rare to see any subway car other than the R46 on the (R) during midday weekdays. Pre R160 era, the R32s always ran on the (R) rush hour only and sometimes weekends, but never midday during the week.

While the (F) OTOH, it was pretty common to see 32s on there any time of the day.

I know the (R) used 40M/42s during the midday during the week right before they retried, that's the ONLY time I remembered seeing non 46 equipment on the (R) during midday's.

Wednesday coming home was really weird.

I was waiting at Nevins St coming off a (3), and then a Flatbush-bound (5) train came a few minutes later... on the local track. Fair enough, (5) train get re-routed sometimes. The train was really crowded, as in you-have-to-run-down-to other-cars-and-barely-squeeze-yourself-in crowded. At Atlantic Av we switch to the express track, and the train empties out, but it fills up again somewhat. We sit in Atlantic for a minute or two, and another rerouted (5) train comes up next to us on the local track.

But wait! It gets better. At Winthrop St, the C/R announces that the train will run non-stop to Flatbush Av. Not gonna lie, I half thought he was misspeaking, but us skipping Church Avenue was a completely foreign concept to me.

(It reminded me of this other incident, where a C/R said that we would be running non-stop from Preisdent St to Flatbush Av, but then a woman, who I'm guessing was the T/O, contradicted him and said that the train would be stopping at Church Av, which it did)

So I decided to stay on the (5) train, and see what would happen this time.

He wasn't lying, we actually skipped Church Avenue.

Hey, there's a first time for everything. B)

Today my (R) train over the Bridge via 6th Ave, rode it all the way to Nas's old stomping grounds before taking the (F) to the (J) - (2) back home. I wonder what happened on Broadway to cause that?

Also does anybody know how common the R160 (R) train is? I go out of way during weekends and rush hour (When there most likely to pop up) and never see them. For some weird reason its really rare to see any subway car other than the R46 on the (R) during midday weekdays. Pre R160 era, the R32s always ran on the (R) rush hour only and sometimes weekends, but never midday during the week.

While the (F) OTOH, it was pretty common to see 32s on there any time of the day.

I know the (R) used 40M/42s during the midday during the week right before they retried, that's the ONLY time I remembered seeing non 46 equipment on the (R) during midday's.

I caught (R) on 6th avenue too, the PA said it was something with 60th St. tunnel.

R train on 6th Avenue - West 4 Street - YouTube

Well I caught one over the spring. But most likely you may see them on select rush hour days. I saw one run beside the (E) train I was on in the evening. There's like 1-2 of them whenever they're put out there. I don't where you got the impression that they would be on weekends 'cause that the least of chances to see one. Just scout harder & eventually one will pop-up.

I took one on Nov. 8th at Herald Square around 6pm

Well I caught one over the spring. But most likely you may see them on select rush hour days. I saw one run beside the (E) train I was on in the evening. There's like 1-2 of them whenever they're put out there. I don't where you got the impression that they would be on weekends 'cause that the least of chances to see one. Just scout harder & eventually one will pop-up.

On weekends there's a lot of unused 160s from the (E) & (F)... that's why I got the impression they might put some on the (R) to rest the aging R46s.

Then again I saw a 46 (F) in service that past Saturday so I guess not lol.

Those 46s are troopers, they be getting pounded on those (F) & (R) lines and they still keep on rolling. :cool:

I took one on Nov. 8th at Herald Square around 6pm

Thanks! Nice to know there still around, hopefully the 64 46s that leave for SIR will be from Jamaica yard. Thus making the chances of one finding one of these trains a bit higher.

I forgot the hours in which T/O's are not suppose to blow the horn. Would a T/O get written up for blowing the horn during those hours? There has been countless times in which I'd here the blast of horns from NIS trains when trying to sleep. Some even blow as if there's track work, thou I don't mind.

I have a personal SUBWAY - Random Thought of my own. It's all about the (3) Train at the 145th St Station in Harlem, Manhattan. I'm sure we all know that this subway station opened on Wednesday November 23rd, 1904, and that it can only hold all 5 cars (1st group in either direction) but not the 6th car. I got to be honest with y'all, why go with that design? I'm pretty sure that each and every conductor on the (3) Train would have done something right, like, come out of his/her cab and used their key to open all doors on the 6th car. You know what? This just give me an idea, what if the MTA were to plan a 2-4 year construction program for the Lenox Avenue Line that'll have to do with the Malcolm X Blvd widening that would close down a few stations? Then after that, they would probably reroute the (3) Train along the (2) line between 135th St, Manhattan, and E 180th St, Bronx, "why would they want to do that" you all say? Well, because the 145th, and 148th Sts Stations would be closed down due to tunnel, track, and platform renovations. The MTA could extend the 145th St Station by 4 cars (2 cars to the north, 2 cars to the south) it would finally fill in the missing gaps on full 10-car trains, just like the South Ferry Station on the (1) Train line. Now that's a well thought out improvement.:P

There can't be a tunnel for the (3) to travel to the Bronx because the water table there is too high, and the Harlem River is just too close to dig any tunnel. You are going to flood any construction efforts with that river. The only way to extend (3) to the Bronx would be to shut down the 148th Street Station, and to close the Lenox Avenue Yard which only harms the subway system in the long run.

Yes, as was noted the 145th Street station on Lenox Avenue opened in November 1904, however what was left out was that the station was designed for LOCAL trains which were 6 cars in length in 1904. What was also left out - was the fact the basically immediately to the south of the station are the #2 tracks/tunnel coming in to/from the Bronx - and immediately north of the station are the switch tracks and entrance to what used to be the main IRT train yard at 148th Street. This train yard - much bigger in 1904, also held the power plant for the then entire IRT subway line. Over time the train yard was modified, the power plant was removed and in 1968 a public housing structure was built over the train yard - and the 148th Street train station was created. The 148th Street train station is a full length train station, as well as a small train yard for the #3 line.

In 1904 - trains that terminated at 145th Street were local trains along Broadway using the switch plant just north of the 96th Street station, these trains operated local to the southern terminal. Trains that traveled over the Lenox Avenue line to/from the Bronx were express trains south of the 96th Street. Of course, there were trains that terminated at 137th Street-City College that operated as locals to the southern terminal, and trains that operated north of the 137th Street station to the Bronx - that were express along Broadway south of 96th Street.

When the "H" formation of the IRT was created in the 1920's - local trains along the Broadway/Seventh Avenue line ran from South Ferry to/from 137th Street-City College, AND to/from 145th Street-Lenox Avenue. While Broadway / Seventh Avenue express trains operated from 242nd Street-Van Cortlandt Park, and from West 180th Street-Bronx Park to either Brooklyn terminal - New Lots Avenue or Flatbush Avenue.

All in all - a lot of switching occurred at the 96th Street station leading to train tie-ups, and conga lines of trains. This all changed in 1959 - when the TA decided that all trains that travel along the Broadway line from 103rd Street and above - will be local at all times to South Ferry. The TA also decided that all trains that travel along the Lenox Avenue line will be express along Broadway/Seventh Avenue and to/from the Brooklyn terminals of New Lots Avenue and Flatbush Avenue. Thus the number #1, #2 and #3 as we basically know them today was born. Since trains did not have to switch tracks north of 96th Street, the traffic flowed much more easily.

Since the 145th Street-Lenox Avenue station was designed from the beginning (1904) to handle local trains, and then local trains were six cars in length - a then full size train could fit in the station (same as South Ferry's original outer loop platform). Express trains during the rush hours were 8 cars in length in 1904. In the 1950's - the TA adopted the idea to extend all subway trains to 10 cars in length - which meant that many stations had to be extended. Since the conductors on 10-car trains operates from the middle of the train that places him/her at the 5 and 6 car position.

The 145th Street-Lenox Avenue station, and the original South Ferry station (original outer loop platform) could not be extended - due to the conditions near those stations. Thus only first FIVE cars of a 10-car train could open their doors at those stations - even though the station was originally designed and built for six cars. Changes in subway car design over the decades and door placement changes meant that the South Ferry station (which was built on a curve) had to have platform extenders to meet the middle doors and end doors of the trains, whereas the original trains in 1904 only had doors at the ends of the cars.

Lenox Avenue is already a very wide street, designed that way when the Harlem area was constructed in the early 1900's, and under the 1811 Street grid plan. I do not understand the suggestion that the street needs to be widened. Such a task would involve the property rights of owners on both sides of the avenue.

Understanding transit history, and something about NYC history - would lead one to answers about the how and why of certain stations, transit lines, and other aspects of the subways. I hope this information is helpful.

Mike

MTA Service Notice

Posted: 11/25/2011 1:39AM

Due to debris on the track at the 71st Street Station, Bronx-bound (D)train service is running express from the Bay Parkway Station to the 62nd Street Station.

Please expect delays on the (D)train service at this time.

This is another one of those garbage cans I believe.

MTA Service Notice

Posted: 11/27/2011 12:39AM

Due to a smoke condition at the Eastchester-Dyre Avenue Station, downtown (5) train service is running express from the Eastchester-Dyre Avenue Station to the E 180th Street Station.

Please allow additional travel time.

I didn't know that the (5) could run express in this area. Also I thought the (2) was running there this weekend.

MTA Service Notice

Posted: 11/27/2011 12:39AM

Due to a smoke condition at the Eastchester-Dyre Avenue Station, downtown (5) train service is running express from the Eastchester-Dyre Avenue Station to the E 180th Street Station.

Please allow additional travel time.

I didn't know that the (5) could run express in this area. Also I thought the (2) was running there this weekend.

About your first question, yes, there's an express track beginning just south of the station. And, yes, the (5) is replaced by the (2) this weekend, so it's a mistake.

When I was coming home yesterday from the nostalgia train on the (F) (was with Luis, Noel, Allyn and someone else), after 21 St-QB it switched onto the QBL local track and made express stops on the local track until Roosevelt Avenue.

Must have been a stalled (E) train :confused:, but it sured hauled ass past the local stops!