SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly happened at 96th this morning? Also...

MTA Service Notice

Posted: 11/30/2011 2:12PM

Due to signal problems at the East-Broadway Station, Jamaica-bound (F)and Forest Hills-bound (M) train service is running with delays at this time.

(M)service shouldn't be delayed if it is Forest Hills bound.Maybe even increase it a bit if it's a big signal problem.

Edited by Abba
Posted the (M) alert.

What exactly happened at 96th this morning? Also...

MTA Service Notice

Posted: 11/30/2011 2:12PM

Due to signal problems at the East-Broadway Station, Jamaica-bound (F)and Forest Hills-bound (M) train service is running with delays at this time.

(M)service shouldn't be delayed if it is Forest Hills bound.Maybe even increase it a bit if it's a big signal problem.

There was emergency track and signal repair work at 96 street. It began with switch problems.

According the (MTA)website there was a time where everything was normal.

Well, I left for school at approx. 1a.m. (NY time) and came back at about 6a.m. When I left it said "switch problems" and when I came back it said "emergency track maintenance". It said that until about 8:30a.m. After that it was normal.

My guess would be that the late June schedule is for the summer obviously, meaning that there's more weekend service than the December (winter) schedule because of the beaches. More passengers go out more in the summer than the winter. Might be wrong if that's not the reason why. In addition, the Rockaway Park shuttle is OPTO since it runs four cars, in other words the train operator operates the train and acts as a conductor as well. During the summer, the shuttle gets more cars and a C/R due to increased ridership. Hope that helps somewhat.

Guest lance25
Why did the (:P and (D) seem to swap places between the Brighton line and West End line?

you know, i always wondered that myself. Never really understood the logic behind that.

Imagine if the (Q) was the Brighton express...

That's an easy one; it was to give West End riders 24/7 access into and out of Manhattan. When the (:) (and its Broadway equivalent in the late '80s [the (W) from '01 to '04]) ran on the West End, it only ran into Manhattan during the day. Excluding the period between '02 & '04 because of the Stillwell terminal rebuild, during the overnight hours, riders had to transfer to the (R) ((N) after the '89 switch) since the West End was only served by a shuttle running from 36 St/4 Av to Coney Island. Also, Brighton riders wanted Broadway service over 6th Avenue, so that's why the (Q) runs over there all times now instead of the (D) (or (B)).

Posted: 12/08/2011 12:59PM

Due to track maintenance at the Atlantic Avenue Station:

There is no (4) train service in both directions between the Borough Hall Station and the Crown Heights-Utica Avenue Station.

There is no(5)* train service in both directions between the Bowling Green Station and the Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College Station.

Please expect delays on the (4) and (5) trains at this time.

Wondering if this will continue into rush hour.Borough Hall is an interesting place to terminate trains.But I guess they have no choice.

Doubt it. Remember, some cars were retired and put into work service a couple of years ago. Could be wrong though.

I think I myself created whole lot of hype for no reason, otherwise why in the world the cars would have "rail adhesion car" in between, especially since it's fall and it's Brighton and lastly there is some sort of G.O. during mid day hours.

So it was false alarm.

Rode the TS S for the first time in a long while. I found it strange they'd adwrap the train on track 4 as opposed to the train on track 1 or 3. I thought they wanted the adwrap on trains that saw active service? Oh well at least I knew that train wasn't going anywhere and took a few shots of it before walking over to the Lexington lines.